Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla2020 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm The military should of been of no help.
The military helping out allowed for Godzilla to finally destroy some military stuff, as well as provided a nice back up for Kong. I dunno, I sort of liked them working together.
Also your anecdote about the woman shouting "NO" is hilarious.

I'll see the movie again once it's released in theaters in Japan properly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla2020 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm Saw the movie in theaters for the second time today(first viewing was in late April). I loved it!

Godzilla was portrayed as powerful, Kong put up a good fight. It was great!

I only have a few criticisms. Godzilla's head should have been the same size as it was back in 2014 in proportion to the rest of him. The military should of been of no help. The final battle could have been longer. Godzilla should have gotten one decent hit on Mecha Godzilla on screen. And finally, Kong could have been shown as a little tougher.

Also, a family that was Team Kong was in the theater. The little girl literally shouted "NO" and started crying when Godzilla won. She stopped when Kong was revived though.
Godzilla did stop MechaG when they first collide MechaG had to out speed Godzilla to gain the advantage.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 pm
Godzilla2020 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm Saw the movie in theaters for the second time today(first viewing was in late April). I loved it!

I only have a few criticisms. Godzilla's head should have been the same size as it was back in 2014 in proportion to the rest of him. The military should of been of no help. The final battle could have been longer. Godzilla should have gotten one decent hit on Mecha Godzilla on screen. And finally, Kong could have been shown as a little tougher.

Also, a family that was Team Kong was in the theater. The little girl literally shouted "NO" and started crying when Godzilla won. She stopped when Kong was revived though.
Godzilla did stop MechaG when they first collide MechaG had to out speed Godzilla to gain the advantage.
Upon rewatch, I'm pretty sure Godzilla got some hits in off screen. We hear aggressive roaring and Mecha Godzilla is standing quite a distance away when they're on screen again. With how relentless he is, there's no way he would just back off on his own.
Just wish we could have seen at least one of those hits.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Godzilla2020 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:55 am
miguelnuva wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 pm

Upon rewatch, I'm pretty sure Godzilla got some hits in off screen. We hear aggressive roaring and Mecha Godzilla is standing quite a distance away when they're on screen again. With how relentless he is, there's no way he would just back off on his own.
Just wish we could have seen at least one of those hits.
Well, Godzilla was worn out from his battle with Kong, and MG was built to counter Godzilla after all. He's designed to exploit Godzilla's weaknesses based on his fighting pattern, and he probably KNOWS how Godzilla fights, thanks to Ghidorah's consciousness. Meanwhile, Godzilla has no knowledge of how MG fights, as he has absolutely no prior experience of fighting anything that's even remotely similar to MG.
MG had a huge advantage from the beginning, so it's understandable that Godzilla wasn't able to do much against him. Taking down a worn-out Godzilla on his first encounter with him shouldn't be much of a problem, otherwise he's not gonna last against fully winded Godzilla.
Last edited by Vandarker on Fri May 07, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Godzilla2020 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm
She must have been elated when Kong got that big win against Mecha-G!
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Well, as of this weekend I'm fully vaxxed - so I'm headed back to theaters after a year absence to see Godzilla vs. Kong... and also Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (in theaters for the 10th anniversary).

Two "vs." films!

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

behold, I am an idiot who has gotten himself into a fight

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... _stronger/

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Reading the novel now. A lot more Russell family interactions here. Also more background on what happened to Skull Island. Wish we had got more of both of these in the movie
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

CyberZilla wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:01 am
Godzilla2020 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:29 pm
She must have been elated when Kong got that big win against Mecha-G!
Late reply, I didn't hear her audibly react. Though she might of.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Anyone think MG should no longer be hidden as a "spoiler"? Who doesn't know at this point?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:21 am Anyone think MG should no longer be hidden as a "spoiler"? Who doesn't know at this point?
Yeah we're legit almost three months away from the movie being out. Everyone should've seen it by now.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gigantis wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:28 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:21 am Anyone think MG should no longer be hidden as a "spoiler"? Who doesn't know at this point?
Yeah we're legit almost three months away from the movie being out. Everyone should've seen it by now.
Some countries still have their theaters shut down, and HBO Max is available only in the United States. Don't assume such things.

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
The only reason I got to see GvK AT ALL was because one of the American members here was kind enough to lend me their HBO Max account, which I used a VPN to sign into.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

So the new MechaG figure is 7.5 in, which translates to 466 ft in terms of height
Kong - 5.7 in
Godzilla - 6.3 in
MechaG - 7.5

While not an “official” number, it’s an in the ballpark number

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Monke wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:04 am So the new MechaG figure is 7.5 in, which translates to 466 ft in terms of height
Kong - 5.7 in
Godzilla - 6.3 in
MechaG - 7.5

That translates to 142 meters, for those of us who don't speak American. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

KK42 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:25 am
Monke wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:04 am So the new MechaG figure is 7.5 in, which translates to 466 ft in terms of height
Kong - 5.7 in
Godzilla - 6.3 in
MechaG - 7.5

That translates to 142 meters, for those of us who don't speak American. :P
LOL, I'm American and yet when it comes to kaiju heights I like seeing the meters. Just because a Godzilla book listed all the heights in meters. So I hear 50 meters I think 'Showa Godzilla' 100 meters is Heisei Godzilla. 30 meters is Gargantua brothers.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Sounds like the 3 monsters are all about 50 feet bigger than each other give or take 10-20 feet.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I went to see GvK in theaters and oh my, it was an amazing experience. Really missed the theater experience with these kinds of flicks and it didn’t disappoint. Still adore the movie.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I really, really love the characterization and the intelligence of the Titans in the MV.

Godzilla- Millions of years old protector of earth. King of the monsters and keeper of balance. Gets up no matter how many times he’s put down and never gives up.

Kong- An old, gruff titan at the end of his rope who just wants a home and a family. Has human connection and the ability to communicate in sign language

Ghidorah- A sadistic, cruel destroyer of worlds. Savors and relishes death, even ones of the most insignificant creatures.

Mothra- A benevolent protector of earth, Queen of the monsters. Has a symbiotic relationship with Godzilla and would sacrifice herself for the world and her symbiont

Rodan- Sketchy, shifty titan with no true allegiance. Follows and pledges loyalty to whoever is strongest.

Mechagodzilla- An unfeeling, brutal killer with only one objective: revenge. Doesn’t care who he has to kill or what gets in his path of destruction

Makes them a lot more than just “big dumb monsters” and more like characters. Just another one of the reasons I love the MV
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat May 15, 2021 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Big agree. Every time I watch an MV movie, I am drawn to the kaiju characterization. They have personalities and that makes them all the more entertaining. even the robotic Mechagodzilla has his own character quirks in there.

Resized Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The Monsterverse has created my favorite incarnations of these characters in years.

They're somehow both exactly as they were characterized when they were introduced and taken in a unique but fitting new direction.

I can't give the films enough credit, it's the one thing rhey have unambiguously nailed every film.

RIP Evan.