Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dv-218
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Dv-218 »

Guess this is the part where I chime in to say that I never understood the hype with the RPO MG. It's just...so basic and banal looking, like an offbrand toy Dinosaur only vaguely mimicking the original design. If anything the Ohrai concept art that inspired it is much more aesthetically pleasing lmao. MV definitely beats it out for me.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:09 am Okay I guess liking the Legendary Mechagodzilla design is the unpopular opinion now lol

THERE ARE DOZENS OF US, JAKE.

DOZENS.

RIP Evan.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:09 am Okay I guess liking the Legendary Mechagodzilla design is the unpopular opinion now lol
No, liking it is the popular opinion. There just happens to be more vocal opponents to it on here.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Dv-218 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:13 am Guess this is the part where I chime in to say that I never understood the hype with the RPO MG. It's just...so basic and banal looking, like an offbrand toy Dinosaur only vaguely mimicking the original design. If anything the Ohrai concept art that inspired it is much more aesthetically pleasing lmao. MV definitely beats it out for me.
This as well. RPO felt so off brand, I'm still amazed it's a licensed incarnation of MG.

Hearing Alan Silvestri do the Ifukube theme was by far the best part.

Added in 39 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 am
No, liking it is the popular opinion. There just happens to be more vocal opponents to it on here.
Really? I've heard more critcisms then praise everywhere I've looked. Might just be from my circle though

RIP Evan.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:17 am
Dv-218 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:13 am Guess this is the part where I chime in to say that I never understood the hype with the RPO MG. It's just...so basic and banal looking, like an offbrand toy Dinosaur only vaguely mimicking the original design. If anything the Ohrai concept art that inspired it is much more aesthetically pleasing lmao. MV definitely beats it out for me.
This as well. RPO felt so off brand, I'm still amazed it's a licensed incarnation of MG.

Added in 39 seconds:
Really? I've heard more critcisms then praise everywhere I've looked. Might just be from my circle though
Percisely lmao. Say what you want about MV atleast it clearly attempted to make a distinct yet still recognizeable incarnation in the vein of all previous Mechas. RPO looks like someone attempted to make a bootleg of the Showa MG with several aspects intentionally changed so it would NOT be labeled as Mechagodzilla, yet it is. The fact that it literally makes one of those stock Dinosaur roars during it's entrance doesn't help :lol:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:17 am

Added in 39 seconds:
Your circle sucks :lol: JK

From what I've seen most like it or even love it unconditionally to the point it's considered better than previous incarnations...which I find utterly ridiculous.
But it's their opinion so it's o.k

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH i don't hate MonsterVerse Mechagodzilla but.. i dunno, the Transformers like skin he has never did any wonders for me, nor do the weird arcade claw arms. RPO MG is just.. better to look at i wanna say? And his roars cooler.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:29 am TBH i don't hate MonsterVerse Mechagodzilla but.. i dunno, the Transformers like skin he has never did any wonders for me, nor do the weird arcade claw arms. RPO MG is just.. better to look at i wanna say? And his roars cooler.
You're among friends here dude. Now double down on this and say it......
Say it.....
Monsterverse MG sucks.
Shhh, shhh.....Goji89 got you.
Or not it's cool..

So you gonna say it..? No preassure.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

So apparently, who we thought was Titanosaurus is in fact a sub-species of Godzilla, or perhaps a younger form of Godzilla Ultima, in Godzilla: Singular Point, as leaked by Bandai-Namco
https://www.godzilla-movies.com/news/ba ... lla-design

Maybe the people at TOHO thought that Titanosaurus was too similar to Godzilla in origin and design (giant amphibious reptile) which I'll admit is kinda stupid, given there are plenty of differences between the two of them; Maybe Bandai-Namco just seriously screwed up the name somehow, I'm not sure. It very well could be Titanosaurus, just considered a Godzilla subspecies In-Universe. I'm not sure myself, but while I agree that this feels like a cop-out by making Titanosaurus into another Godzilla, I'm actually not totally against this, because I think this can actually be a way to bring back monsters that are considered too similar to Godzilla by simply making them a 'form' or sub-species of Godzilla.

Not every kaiju, mind you, but you could, say, have different designs or incarnations of Godzilla all under one roof, thus satisfying fans of each individual incarnation by calling them different sub-species or breeds of Godzilla. It's a bit dumb, but I'm actually not totally against it-heck, considering "Zilla" lost their individual trademark, maybe this could be a way of bringing them back.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Alright so it seems here liking Mechagodzilla from the MonsterVerse is unpopular so...I like it, a lot actually XD.

I like the design, does a unique thing without betraying what Mechagodzilla should be, and how each part of the design actually plays a role in its combat style (Clamps to restrain Kaiju to stab with drill tail, jets for added maneuverability, missiles to blast from a distance for a quick offensive and a devastating charge weapon to fire from a distance and power-charged appendages for good ole hand to hand).
Spoiler:
I love the idea of King Ghidorah being sort of a vengeful spirit in control of the Mechagodzilla, granting it actual personality between it laughing seemingly at the destruction it caused while also seeming hyper focused on Godzilla almost treating Kong like a nuisance which ends up biting it in the ass.
RPO Mechagodzilla I can also see an appreciation for. Given the design is based off the iconic unused design on that poster so there is a bit of a fan-service easter egg with it and the look works enough as a modern-style Mechagodzilla.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

I have given Legendary Mechagodzilla time to set in my mind, after seeing it in Godzilla VS Kong, and I think I can safely say that I dislike it. I have given Kiryu grief in the past for looking a little bit too much like Godzilla, but that problem is drastically worse with the Legendary version. He literally looks like LegendaryGoji made out of razor blades and barbed wire. I know that criticism is very much a personal issue, but I really do not like how modern mechs and mechas look generally. They all tend to blend together into the same general grey mishmash of tiny metallic pieces. I won't say it is a bad design, but I will say this it is the most boring of the Mechagodzillas, which is disappointing coming off of the heels of the amazing Legendary Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah. If nothing else, Legendary Mechagodzilla is fun to watch in action, even if a bit boring in still images.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I like MV Mechagodzilla, he on par with Kiryu IMO

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 am He ain't THAT bad fellas. lol, I'm starting to just side with liking this design because all the crap people gave it...
I actually don't mind Legendary Mechagodzilla, myself. Don't really like him either. He's just kind of there.

He's like Moguera in that way, in my eyes. He's a Mecha from the Godzilla series that exists.

I just happen to prefer RPO's take. Although I could do without the blue atomic breath.
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I feel a support group is needed to protect Legendary Mecha G and RPO Mecha G from this bullying lol

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 pm I feel a support group is needed to protect Legendary Mecha G and RPO Mecha G from this bullying lol
They're massive robot dinosaurs armed to the teeth with weapons, they'll be okay. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm
godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:01 pm I feel a support group is needed to protect Legendary Mecha G and RPO Mecha G from this bullying lol
They're massive robot dinosaurs armed to the teeth with weapons, they'll be okay. :P
Plus they have something more important going for them.... and

I really hate to be the one to tell you guy's (this is really hard to say) but.....

They are NOT real.

I'm sorry lil ones.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:13 pm
Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:08 pm
Plus they have something more important going for them.... and

I really hate to be the one to tell you guy's (this is really hard to say) but.....

They are NOT real.

I'm sorry lil ones.
But are you actually sorry? I am not sure you are.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LMG being a good design is still the popular opinion lol.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:27 pm
But are you actually sorry? I am not sure you are.
Don't you dare question my remorsefulness in having to break, destroy and piss on the imagination and innocence of the kaiju world to the kids on this forum.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LMG sucks Mecha balls IMO. Just as bad as the knock-off RPO version.
For Emperor and Empire!