DC Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.

What is your favorite DC film thus far?

Man of Steel
2%
Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice
15%
Suicide Squad
2%
Wonder Woman
10%
Justice League
No votes
Aquaman
2%
Shazam!
5%
Birds of Prey
2%
Wonder Woman 1984
No votes
Zack Snyder's Justice League
12%
The Suicide Squad
49%

Total votes: 41

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: DC Cinematic Universe

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:47 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 am
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:00 am https://www.gamespot.com/articles/less- ... 0-6489799/

Well that's embarrassing...
That comment section is a total smear campaign.
Damb, I can't believe some people don't like the same movie as me, total smear campaign. 😔
Nah when 30 people all have the same obnoxious opinion it's pretty obvious.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:09 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:24 am

That comment section is a total smear campaign.
Damb, I can't believe some people don't like the same movie as me, total smear campaign. 😔
That they just don't like the same movie as you. Yes.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:23 am

I was attempting to edit my post and was sadly met with the usual TK "Error" issue.

How would you differentiate a smear campaign and "Difference of opinion"? Bc when I see ten posts with the same slanderous opinions, I get suspicious.

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
Especially considering the general glowing reception.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:33 am
GodzillavsZilla wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:23 am
I was attempting to edit my post and was sadly met with the usual TK "Error" issue.

How would you differentiate a smear campaign and "Difference of opinion"? Bc when I see ten posts with the same slanderous opinions, I get suspicious.

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
Especially considering the general glowing reception.
Because it's just kinda silly to assume "These people don't think this movie I like is a perfect masterpiece, the obvious answer is that it's a smear campaign!"
If I said that people saying the same praising opinions about the movie are a part of a hype campaign. Would that not be dumb? Just like the movie mang, I do and I don't think some people disliking it is some big deal.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

Don't worry mang. We'll avenge Zaddy and make sure his masterpiece isn't getting destroyed by this smear campaign.
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Okay mangs, I'll just wait for the 4k 8hr extended cut.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:01 pm Okay mangs, I'll just wait for the 4k 8hr extended cut.
Ah yeah!
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
On my wall. ;)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Finally decided to inflict Batman v Superman on myself last night.

That... sure was a movie. It definitely wasn't good, but it also wasn't as entertainingly bad as I'd been led to believe, leaving the whole experience... pretty dull.

The core story and character concepts were sound, but it was overstuffed and unfocused, and the writing was a frustrating mixture of ham-fisted and at the same time terribly flat. It feels like they didn't trust the audience to read even a single thing in between the lines; it made the Christopher Nolan Batman movies look subtle by comparison.

There wasn't that much over-the-top Snyder-ness to the visuals. Where he did pull out the excessive slomo, it was clear that the intent was to capture an element of the still panels of comics, and a lot of the storytelling in the movie actually would probably work very well as a comic - which just calls attention, ultimately, to how forced it feels in a movie. Snyder understands the tools of cinematic storytelling well on a technical level, but he applies them gracelessly - his understanding seems to be purely academic and technical, and the results are artless and immature.

Basically, I'd been hoping for either something good, or something hilariously awful, and instead I just had to sit through something really fucking boring.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spirit Ghidorah 2010
Xilien Halfling

Post by Spirit Ghidorah 2010 »

eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:12 pm the writing was a frustrating mixture of ham-fisted and at the same time terribly flat.
Along with flat and ham-fisted, the writing was at times hilarious edgy to the point of juvenile. Batman randomly dropping the F-bomb and Joker talking about jerking him off are examples that immediately come to mind.
He/him/his

#Pro-Choice #ACAB #TransRights #BlackLivesMatter #vaccinate #EatTheRich #TheSatanicTemple

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:15 pm
eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:12 pm the writing was a frustrating mixture of ham-fisted and at the same time terribly flat.
Along with flat and ham-fisted, the writing was at times hilarious edgy to the point of juvenile. Batman randomly dropping the F-bomb and Joker talking about jerking him off are examples that immediately come to mind.
He was talking about BvS.

But to what you're saying about JL, Bruce Wayne is a grown man, in an apocalypse, a random F-bomb isn't out of character for a human on the brink of death.

And as far as Jared Leto's Ace Ventura Joker, the reach-around line was improvised on his part.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:12 pm Basically, I'd been hoping for either something good, or something hilariously awful, and instead I just had to sit through something really fucking boring.
Yep. It's not even awful in an entertaining way, it's just painfully pretentious and dull.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:56 pm
eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:12 pm Basically, I'd been hoping for either something good, or something hilariously awful, and instead I just had to sit through something really skreeonking boring.
Yep. It's not even awful in an entertaining way, it's just painfully pretentious and dull.
Completely disagree. I don't get the pretentious argument either, a movie shouldn't take itself seriously? There's a very large story being told over the course of these films, filled with themes and allegories you will never see from their competitors. The film and the universe at whole treats these events as artful epics, not Saturday morning cartoons.

And I think that's where the discourse is. Some people see a man that dresses up as a bat as an interesting psychological look into the mind of a rich orphan who beats up criminals and has a dangerous obsession with bats and vengeance, the themes it'd carry, the allegories it'd inadvertently present. Other people see a man dressed like a bat and wonder when he's going to punch the next bad guy in a really entertaining way.

Added in 6 minutes 47 seconds:
the writing was a frustrating mixture of ham-fisted and at the same time terribly flat.
It's not even awful in an entertaining way, it's just painfully dull.
Along with flat and ham-fisted, the writing was at times hilarious edgy to the point of juvenile.
These criticisms are actually the very same ones I use to describe my distaste for the MCU. Every film it's just, characters being treated like bratty children bickering for an hour, they get knocked out, come back and beat up the bad guy at the end, before the post credit reveals that the bad guy is actually still alive.

0 substance
0 grit
0 themes beyond "Don't take things for granted"
0 stakes 90% of the time

It's why I appreciate Snyders take so much, it's obviously artsy, the dialogue is usually clever (I point you to the Clark v Bruce scene or the Lex talking to Senator Kelly scene), the backgrounds tend to have just as much character as the protagonists themselves. The cinematography is unmatched and rich with a royal color scaling (which is something i'm shocked people still want to criticize.), looking less like it was made for TV and more like it was made for the largest screen possible.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pmThe film and the universe at whole treats these events as artful epics, not Saturday morning cartoons.
Oh, they try to be artful epics, but they fail completely. They're not nearly as smart or deep as they think they are, which is why pretentious is the perfect word for them.

Also, why is it whenever someone criticizes the Snyderverse, its fanboys always feel the need to start bashing on Marvel, and vice versa? Can't we just discuss these films based on their own merits? I, and many others, don't care about Marvel - hell, the only MCU film I've seen is Iron Man, so these constant comparisons between the competiting franchises don't hold any relevance to the discussion.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:00 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pmThe film and the universe at whole treats these events as artful epics, not Saturday morning cartoons.
Oh, they try to be artful epics, but they fail completely. They're not nearly as smart or deep as they think they are, which is why pretentious is the perfect word for them.

Also, why is it whenever someone criticizes the Snyderverse, its fanboys always feel the need to start bashing on Marvel, and vice versa? Can't we just discuss these films based on their own merits? I, and many others, don't care about Marvel - hell, the only MCU film I've seen is Iron Man, so these constant comparisons between the competiting franchises don't hold any relevance to the discussion.
Because the goal of a discussion is to compare and contrast with what works and what doesn't. If someone doesn't like McDonalds, but prefers fast food, there's a HUGE chance they eat at one of the other restaurants no?

When people try to sit on high horses and call a film pretentious, or utterly dull, or painfully boring, or "these films fail completely" without giving specific examples for each film they're "dissecting", it comes off as needlessly hollow and even soap-boxey. Which in itself is quite pretentious. I'm seeing tons of criticism for Snyder's films and almost 0 specific examples, let alone examples that can be easily rectified with a different train of thought.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:09 pm Because the goal of a discussion is to compare and contrast with what works and what doesn't. If someone doesn't like McDonalds, but prefers fast food, there's a HUGE chance they eat at one of the other restaurants no?
Considering your emotional investment in this topic, I'm guessing it's less about comparing/contrasting and more about fanboyish tribalism - whenever someone disses a DC film, you automatically assume they're Marvel fans and proceed to go on a meaningless rant about the MCU that no one asked for. I see this type of thing all of the time.
When people try to sit on high horses and call a film pretentious, or utterly dull, or painfully boring, or "these films fail completely" without giving specific examples for each film they're "dissecting", it comes off as needlessly hollow and even soap-boxey.
You keep moving the goal posts - who says I'm "dissecting" anything? These are my initial impressions from seeing BvsS exactly once. Any sort of deeper analysis would require at least one rewatch while taking notes, and I have no interest in doing such a thing when the first viewing experience was as painful as it was. I went into the movie with very low expectations and its awfulness still managed to shock me...and this is coming from someone who has read and watched countless Batman stories, so I'm well aware of the history and nuances of the character.

Also, how are either of us on a "high horse"? Because we don't like something you like? Man. :lol:
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:42 pm Also, how are either of us on a "high horse"? Because we don't like something you like? Man. :lol:
Considering your emotional investment in this topic, I'm guessing it's less about comparing/contrasting and more about fanboyish tribalism - whenever someone disses a DC film, you automatically assume they're Marvel fans and proceed to go on a meaningless rant about the MCU that no one asked for. I see this type of thing all of the time.
Yeah see, where I'm from this would be considered passive aggressive high horsing, as well as rather pompous and disrespectful if I'm being honest.

I stated my point, I stated why I brought up Marvel, I stated why you can't just sh!t on a film with nothing backing your words, you shifted goal posts and responded to what you wanted too. As I said before, you can't really call a film "awful to the point of shock" and not have examples to back it up. It rings hollow.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:48 pm Yeah see, where I'm from this would be considered passive aggressive high horsing, as well as rather pompous and disrespectful if I'm being honest.
Just calling a spade a spade. If you can't accept the fact that a great many people* see the Snyder films differently than you do without flying off the handle, then you're clearly too wrapped up in all of this. You need to relax, bud.

*There are plenty of very detailed critiques of the Snyder films, on YouTube and elsewhere. It's not like I'm alone on this.
As I said before, you can't really call a film "awful to the point of shock" and not have examples to back it up. It rings hollow.
I can, actually. Take Batman & Robin: I've seen it once as an adult, and it was thoroughly terrible - the tone, the dialogue, the story, the acting, etc. Do I remember enough about it to cite any specific examples? Hell no. Same with BvS. If I were writing an actual review of either film, then obviously I would become more familiar with their problems, rewatch them and go into analysis mode, to see exactly what doesn't work and why. As it stands, I'm merely going to say that I hated watching both of them...because I did.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of demanding "specifics" when you haven't given specifics in your takedowns of Marvel - just generalities, much like what I've been saying about the Snyder films, which is fine.
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pm There's a very large story being told over the course of these films, filled with themes and allegories you will never see from their competitors.
I would say themes and allegories you will never see so explicitly spelled out by their competitors.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:07 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:22 pm There's a very large story being told over the course of these films, filled with themes and allegories you will never see from their competitors.
I would say themes and allegories you will never see so explicitly spelled out by their competitors.
And I'd say that it works for DC, rather than against it. Makes its heroes feel like god-like pillars of humanity, when in reality they all make the same mistakes a human would. Just as the Greek Pantheon did. I know he couldn't be more on the nose with Superman/Jesus allegories, but it works. It makes him interesting, it makes him feel like he'd really exist.

Clark does all this good, and humanity thanks him by fearing him, by doubting him, by holding him accountable for things that happened around him. He fought the "devil"/doomsday to save them, even Lex, who was just about to kill his mother. Humanity responds by nuking both, temporarily taking Clark out, but he forgives. Batman goes to kill him, and Clark forgives. Etc. Etc. Etc.

My point being, these allegorical stories make this universe feel like it's something that could be read about in an ancient book. An epic tale of heroes never thought to come again. It's poetic imo.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Got around to wasting the four hours and found the Snyder Cut a complete waste of time. There were some improvements over the Whedon cut, no doubt. But the run time makes for a long, boring, dull experience in my opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.