Does anybody find the heisei gamera trilogy to be overrated

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
gfan84
Samurai

Does anybody find the heisei gamera trilogy to be overrated

Post by gfan84 »

I don’t intend to start a flame war but I have been seeing a lot of positive reviews about this series but honestly I think they are overhyped especially g3. I don’t think the characters are interesting. Shinobuo nakayama is the first film is really wooden, bland, and emotionaless. Sorry if I appeared to be arrogant it’s just how I feel.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Does anybody find the heisei gamera trilogy to be overrated

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gfan84 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 am I don’t intend to start a flame war but I have been seeing a lot of positive reviews about this series but honestly I think they are overhyped especially g3. I don’t think the characters are interesting. Shinobuo nakayama is the first film is really wooden, bland, and emotionaless. Sorry if I appeared to be arrogant it’s just how I feel.
No. Can you provide actual examples. I agree the first film is a bit quick, but they make up for it in action and subsequent films develop things.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:28 am
No.
:lol: 'nuff said.

Gamers 3 was pushing it back in the day maybe. I've always had a love/hate relationship with that movie because I feel like the story goes in a weird direction compared to the first two that never really sufficiently explains itself, but the trade off is that it's still an incredible film in it's own right with some gorgeous cinematography. But I feel like the attitude towards G3 has mellowed out a lot since I came into the fandom back in the 2000s.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

After a careful consideration, I've decided not to endorse your notion.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I used to hate Gamera when I was younger. I saw him as nothing more than a bad ripoff of Godzilla.

The Gamera trilogy, especially G3, changed my attitude entirely and single-handedly turned me into a Gamera fan. Today they're some of my favorite movies of all time, kaiju or otherwise.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Sorry if I seemed brash or abrasive or cut pompous

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Can somebody give me a "Hell No"?

But.....there is a butt here.

G3 is overrated to high Hell that I will agree with. That movie has nothing memorable for me to consider. Oh and don't get me started with Isis.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I am in the crowd that really wishes to be able to enjoy G3, but sadly, can’t that much. I very much prefer the first two films.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:19 pm I am in the crowd that really wishes to be able to enjoy G3, but sadly, can’t that much. I very much prefer the first two films.
I am of the same opinion. The first Gamera movies are among my favorite films of all time. But I do not care for the third film.(or the director's GMK) I wonder it that's because those are more fantasy like movies.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

G3 was probably my favorite when I was younger and a bit edgier. Now I tend to lean towards GOTU. But this changes every day for me; I love them all. Still, its been a long time since I considered G3 to be a Top 3 kaiju movie of all time.

1tisoygoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by 1tisoygoji »

The Gamera Trilogy is still excellent IMO. I think Advent of Legion is my favorite but they're all great in their own right. G3's special effects are still mind-blowing whenever I watch it, but I agree that it's pretty overrated.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anguirus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:19 pm I am in the crowd that really wishes to be able to enjoy G3, but sadly, can’t that much. I very much prefer the first two films.
I am of the same opinion. The first Gamera movies are among my favorite films of all time. But I do not care for the third film.(or the director's GMK) I wonder it that's because those are more fantasy like movies.
Would you care to explain why you feel that way? I'm sure it's reasons that I can relate.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 pm Oh and don't get me started with Isis.
Please don't join ISIS :(
Anguirus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:19 pm I am of the same opinion. The first Gamera movies are among my favorite films of all time. But I do not care for the third film.(or the director's GMK) I wonder it that's because those are more fantasy like movies.
I understand the fantasy elements being off-putting in G3 because they kinda feel like a real swerve from the Atlantean genetic engineering angle from G1.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:44 pm
Finally someone saw the damn joke....... sheeesh.

:twisted:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:52 pm

It was a good one man. You going to the chewing party later? We're screening Gamera 3: Revenge of ISIS.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:59 pm
goji89 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:52 pm

It was a good one man. You going to the chewing party later? We're screening Gamera 3: Revenge of ISIS.
Hell yeah I'm going. I hear ISIS is coming out bigger badder and uncut.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Nah, i find you overrated, gfan84
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GoTU and Advent of Legion are both good movies, and the better of the trilogy. G3 isn't bad, though it lacks some of the feel the other 2 had. Irys does have an interesting design, though.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Guardian of the Universe is a nearly perfect take of the Honda/Sekizawa formula. It's such a charming film that works on nearly every level, though its FX are pretty dodgy at times compared to its sequels.

Gamera 3 is the most ambitious of the three - and when it's good, man is it good, but it doesn't always stick the landing. It's both the best and worst of the trilogy at the same time IMO.

Gamera 2 is the most consistent of the three, but also has a really bland script and characters. It just doesn't have much personality unfortunately, but the pacing and the kaiju scenes are damn near perfect. I still think G2 has the best combination of suitmation and digital effects in the entire kaiju ​genre.

All three movies have their problems, but they're still top-tier kaiju films that completely deserve the praise that has been heaped on them over the years. So in other words, I don't think they're overrated at all. :)
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Andagi1
GPN Volunteer

Post by Andagi1 »

I wouldn't call them overrated, at least not within their genre. My initial impressions are that their plots and characters are competently written and more compelling than most of their Godzilla counterparts, alongside effects that were good for their time. They're well up there as far as Kaiju movies go, but I don't know that I would place it among the likes of The Godfather/Dark Knight/LOTR/etc. as I've seen others do.