Talkback Thread #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback Thread #4: Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I did note how when Godzilla realized he was being pursued by the larva duo he only fired his atomic ray in front of them, like he was trying to scare them off. Thought it was interesting indicator that he didn't initially want to fight them.
Resized Image

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

That is why I always felt Godzilla's turn to the good guy role while a little whimsical makes some sense. Yeah he attacked some things like the boat in GttHM but it always felt like Godzilla was attacking out of fear or confusion not malice. Granted a giant such as he can't be free to roam but the military are just out for his blood in MvsG. It's a bit sad.
Heck Godzilla would go on to befriend a species of monster he originally killed! Granted Raids Again says that Anguirus attacked Godzilla from behind in a surprise attack so... Monster defense.
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

If you pay attention a lot of the destruction he causes in this film is largely by accident. For example he only tore the castle down because he slipped and fell into it. He tore that electrical tower down because his tail accidentally got caught in it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Brings that Ishiro Honda quote to mind.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Is anyone here bothered by the “save the children” plot point that comes up late in the movie? I think it’s unnecessary given that Godzilla being awake is in itself problematic. Who cares if children are in danger at this particular moment?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LockBite wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 am Is anyone here bothered by the “save the children” plot point that comes up late in the movie? I think it’s unnecessary given that Godzilla being awake is in itself problematic. Who cares if children are in danger at this particular moment?
It doesn't bother me, necessarily, but I do consider it slightly false drama in order to keep the main characters active after their role in the plot has essentially ended.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

eabaker wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:13 am
LockBite wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:43 am Is anyone here bothered by the “save the children” plot point that comes up late in the movie? I think it’s unnecessary given that Godzilla being awake is in itself problematic. Who cares if children are in danger at this particular moment?
It doesn't bother me, necessarily, but I do consider it slightly false drama in order to keep the main characters active after their role in the plot has essentially ended.
It’s definitely the weakest aspect of the film. They should’ve just had the main characters following the larvae out of anxiousness that they would get killed. Their guilt over expending Adult Mothra would be a believable driving factor for them to follow the final battle.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Upon rewatching this in preparation for Godzilla Minus One, I have two small but (hopefully) insightful things to add:

-I believe the nets used to drop on Godzilla may have been intentional foreshadowing towards how the Mothra larva defeat Godzilla in the end. Briefly, Godzilla is overwhelmed by the electrical towers and nets, and is thrashing about on the ground. The sound used for the electricity generators is actually pretty similar to the silk sound. Maybe I’m crazy/overthinking it.

-I believe “save the children” ending is just a way of tying it back to the main characters and Mothra. A big deal is made about the good of humanity, helping each other out, contrary to the evil shown by the greedy businessmen and nuclear testing. Despite the danger, a few elements click together in that moment to save the kids. There’s that brief moment of the children surrounding the Shojibin after, and it’s clearly intended to show a kinder and more mindful future.

Does it still seem a little weird and random? Sure, but it actually ties nicely into the overall human aspect of the film. That’s my take on the ending.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:50 am Upon rewatching this in preparation for Godzilla Minus One, I have two small but (hopefully) insightful things to add:

-I believe the nets used to drop on Godzilla may have been intentional foreshadowing towards how the Mothra larva defeat Godzilla in the end. Briefly, Godzilla is overwhelmed by the electrical towers and nets, and is thrashing about on the ground. The sound used for the electricity generators is actually pretty similar to the silk sound. Maybe I’m crazy/overthinking it.

-I believe “save the children” ending is just a way of tying it back to the main characters and Mothra. A big deal is made about the good of humanity, helping each other out, contrary to the evil shown by the greedy businessmen and nuclear testing. Despite the danger, a few elements click together in that moment to save the kids. There’s that brief moment of the children surrounding the Shojibin after, and it’s clearly intended to show a kinder and more mindful future.

Does it still seem a little weird and random? Sure, but it actually ties nicely into the overall human aspect of the film. That’s my take on the ending.
Interesting ideas. I think you're spot on with the ending. The businessmen, especially, Tarohata, had no regard for anyone but themselves. The man intent on saving the kids had no interest in saving his own life as Godzilla approached the harbor. Even when he's wounded and buried under debris, his only desire is that our characters save the kids. We see that not only the kids, but also the present generation, are willing to help one another.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

Jiro Nakamura is the egg guy, right?
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.
Let's go back to just watching and enjoying monster movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Yes, played by Yu Fujiki.

MC_Lovecraft
G-Force Personnel

Post by MC_Lovecraft »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:06 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:50 am Upon rewatching this in preparation for Godzilla Minus One, I have two small but (hopefully) insightful things to add:

Interesting ideas. I think you're spot on with the ending. The businessmen, especially, Tarohata, had no regard for anyone but themselves. The man intent on saving the kids had no interest in saving his own life as Godzilla approached the harbor. Even when he's wounded and buried under debris, his only desire is that our characters save the kids. We see that not only the kids, but also the present generation, are willing to help one another.
I'd like to build on this with the observation that after the crew of the boat learn why the man(is he a principal do you think?) is so desperate to get out to the island, there's a great moment when they all look across the water. Very brief, but it beautifully illustrates their totally justifiable fear suddenly being tempered by an urgent call to aid people in trouble. I know we talk a lot about the profound humanity of Toho's Sixties films, but it bears repeating. :angel:

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

https://twitter.com/RickDaSquirrel/stat ... ICSgw&s=19

Saw this posted on Twitter courtesy of Rick Da Squirrel. BTS from this movie. I've personally never seen this footage. Everyone looks like they are having such a great time.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am https://twitter.com/RickDaSquirrel/stat ... ICSgw&s=19

Saw this posted on Twitter courtesy of Rick Da Squirrel. BTS from this movie. I've personally never seen this footage. Everyone looks like they are having such a great time.
This is from the Toho 4K UHD disc of the movie that was released in October.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:27 pm
AtomicMorningBreath wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:41 am https://twitter.com/RickDaSquirrel/stat ... ICSgw&s=19

This is from the Toho 4K UHD disc of the movie that was released in October.
Oh very interesting. Do you know if there's any more BTS from those early Showa films floating around out there?
"It's ok, they're all smoking."