What Toy Did You Just Buy?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Re: What Toy Did You Just Buy?

Post by SpaceG92 »

Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:22 am Finally will be getting on the big Bandai America Gigan, which will look lovely next to the big Goji and Mechagodzilla. THE TAIL IS INCLUDED!!! I offered to pay $70, since I was asking the seller to reserve it for me until I get paid on Tuesday. But he was super nice and let me have it for $50. I technically haven't paid for it yet, but since I am "committed to buying it" through eBay, I thought Id mention it here. It is missing the mandibles, and because I am so OCD about that, I bought a second one that had the mandibles but was missing the tail, for only $20. I'll be frankensteining them together.
Congrats! Always had a softspot for that sculpt! Wasn't that the one that was voted by soccer moms and karens of like 2012 "Most Dangerous Toy of the Year"? I know a Gigan won that award.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Post by Executive Hamster »

SpaceG92 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:47 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:22 am Finally will be getting on the big Bandai America Gigan, which will look lovely next to the big Goji and Mechagodzilla. THE TAIL IS INCLUDED!!! I offered to pay $70, since I was asking the seller to reserve it for me until I get paid on Tuesday. But he was super nice and let me have it for $50. I technically haven't paid for it yet, but since I am "committed to buying it" through eBay, I thought Id mention it here. It is missing the mandibles, and because I am so OCD about that, I bought a second one that had the mandibles but was missing the tail, for only $20. I'll be frankensteining them together.
Congrats! Always had a softspot for that sculpt! Wasn't that the one that was voted by soccer moms and karens of like 2012 "Most Dangerous Toy of the Year"? I know a Gigan won that award.
Thats probably true. I thought it released in 2009 though? Unless it reissued. I was pretty sure that only the 2004 Godzilla and Kiryu got reissued.
Which bugs me a bit, by the way. That half of the 12 inch figures got reissued every other year and the other half were just kinda forgotten about. Gigan was expensive, but dont even get me started on the 12 inch 2014 Godzilla. That thing seems to go for nothing less than $200 these days.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Adding yet another impulse buy. Just bought.....this. Idk exactly what this is.
Could be a bootleg as far as I know. Never heard about a 4 inch 91 figure, though to be fair I also didn't know that there was a 16 inch 91 figure up until recently. Looks kinda dirty, but I snagged it for less than 20 from an American seller, so I see it as a win. Also, maybe its just me, but it weirdly resembles one of the smaller Trendmasters Godzillas, though obviously it wasn't intentional.

Added in 43 seconds:
This means however that I have 91 figures from Bandai in three different scales, assuming again this isnt some weird bootleg.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:19 am Adding yet another impulse buy. Just bought.....this. Idk exactly what this is.
Could be a bootleg as far as I know. Never heard about a 4 inch 91 figure, though to be fair I also didn't know that there was a 16 inch 91 figure up until recently. Looks kinda dirty, but I snagged it for less than 20 from an American seller, so I see it as a win. Also, maybe its just me, but it weirdly resembles one of the smaller Trendmasters Godzillas, though obviously it wasn't intentional.

Added in 43 seconds:
This means however that I have 91 figures from Bandai in three different scales, assuming again this isnt some weird bootleg.
Its the figure the Trendmasters based theirs on actually.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:01 am
Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:19 am Adding yet another impulse buy. Just bought.....this. Idk exactly what this is.

Added in 43 seconds:
Wait is that actually true? Is there a source for that?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:36 am

Added in 43 seconds:
Various insiders of the time and high profile collectors. A lot of Trendmasters sculpts were based on Japanese figures. The 3" Godzilla toys are primarly based on similarly sized figures released in playsets in Japan, with some of the more drastic redesigns (Anguirus, Rodan, Biollante) being where no Japanese counter part existed. In the case of Ghidorah, they changed up the wings and heads too.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Added in 43 seconds:
Me, among others....

viewtopic.php?p=1806023#p1806023

In 1991, Bandai released two boxed sets of 4" hollow vinyl figures promoting vs King Ghidorah. The smaller set had a heisei Godzilla and Ghidorah, and the larger had those two joined by six shodai figures.

Two years later Bandai modified the sculpts of Godzilla and Ghidorah from that set, for the debut assortment in 1993's Big Scale Godzilla (later called Hyper Godzilla) candy toy line. It was this first assortment in that line that the Trendmasters sculpter likely took direct molds off of, to make the TM versions.

Last edited by G1985 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

G1985 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:08 pm

Me, among others....

viewtopic.php?p=1806023#p1806023

In 1991, Bandai released two boxed sets of 4" hollow vinyl figures promoting vs King Ghidorah. The smaller set had a heisei Godzilla and Ghidorah, and the larger had those two joined by six shodai figures.

Two years later Bandai modified the sculpts of Godzilla and Ghidorah from that set, for the debut assortment in 1993's Big Scale Godzilla (later called Hyper Godzilla) candy toy line. It was this first assortment in that line that the Trendmasters sculpter likely took direct molds off of, to make the TM versions.

That's extremely interesting. It just shows how incomplete my knowledge is hehehe. But then again, I learned most of what I know about Bandai toys from Wikizilla, so maybe thats on me.
The seller has a lot of shokugan style figures like this. He had another that appeared to be the same sculpt but with significantly less paint. I of course didn't get that one XD.
Image Image

EDIT: It actually isnt exactly the same sculpt, as I just now noticed. The legs, neck, and nose are slightly different.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Wait wtf, these aren't the Korean variant ones? I have to of those, one of the obvious ones being bootleg, the other being the Korean one. But it's 4 inches and looks similar. The mystery thickens!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

I read the description of the eBay page of the one I bought (the one that looks good) and it says this: "Marked B'92 Korea on right foot. Not sure if Yutaka or Bandai?"

I have no idea what that refers to.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Executive Hamster wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:04 pm I read the description of the eBay page of the one I bought (the one that looks good) and it says this: "Marked B'92 Korea on right foot. Not sure if Yutaka or Bandai?"

I have no idea what that refers to.
Yutaka was another company that made Godzilla figures, completely legit. This is one of theirs:
Yours is a Bandai figure

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Since I was just financially stimulated... among other things.

- MMS King Kong '21

Art Spirits Kamata Kun

X-Plus 30 CM Rodan '56

Quote of the Year:

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Huh. Didn't know that was art spirits. Thought it was X plus. But then again, there are about a billion Shin Godzilla figures out there, so not surprised I got confused.
Anyway, I'm super excited about my latest score, from the Bandai Godzilla Forever series. This is, more than likely, one of the big purchases I'll be getting for a while, potentially excluding new releases at retail price. But, I wanted to end it on a bang, so I scored arguably one of the coolest looking Bandai vinyls out there. I saw this a few months ago and was immediately entranced by it.
The Bandai Godzilla Forever Meltdown Godzilla. Definitely the coolest take on Burning Godzilla. I paid around $150, which comparing at least to the other ebay offerings is definitely what I would consider a steal.
I also got this one, but its less impressive, though still cool
Paid $15 for it.

In the next few months I'll be moving out and getting an apartment with my girlfriend, so figures over $50 are unlikely. I have preordered the SHMA GvK figures though, and I have my eyes on some vintage Gamera vinyls, but who knows.
Last edited by Executive Hamster on Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:18 pm Huh. Didn't know that was art spirits. Thought it was X plus. But then again, there are about a billion Shin Godzilla figures out there, so not surprised I got confused.
Anyway, I'm super excited about my latest score, from the Bandai Godzilla Forever series. This is, more than likely, one of the big purchases I'll be getting for a while, potentially excluding new releases at retail price. But, I wanted to end it on a bang, so I scored arguably one of the coolest looking Bandai vinyls out there. I saw this a few months ago and was immediately entranced by it.
The Bandai Godzilla Forever Meltdown Godzilla. Definitely the coolest take on Burning Godzilla. I paid around $150, which comparing at least to the other ebay offerings is definitely what I would consider a steal.
Nice, one of my favorite bandai figures for sure! I'm still looking to buy the Forever Series Disco Godzilla at some point as well.

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:33 pm
Executive Hamster wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:18 pm Huh. Didn't know that was art spirits. Thought it was X plus. But then again, there are about a billion Shin Godzilla figures out there, so not surprised I got confused.
Nice, one of my favorite bandai figures for sure! I'm still looking to buy the Forever Series Disco Godzilla at some point as well.
That figure seems to be the more expensive of the two (I guess technically three but when people think of Godzilla Forever I doubt G62 comes to mind). I certainly like it, but not enough to pay $300+ for it. But I do hope you are able to get it for a decent price one day.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

X Plus 25cm Burning Godzilla, never seen a Burning done like this before. The paint is mesmerizing. The trio is complete.

____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Executive Hamster
Gotengo Officer

Perhaps this is a stretch, but here is a toy I saw that I ALMOST bought but passed on so I'd have enough for the Meltdown Godzilla.
Its a McDonalds toy apparently, and the only Godzilla The Series toy I know of that was officially released (if there are more PLEASE let me know cause I WANT)
When I found it it had 4 minutes left on the auction. Im very impulsive, but I didn't have enough in my figure budget for both this and the meltdown godzilla so I chose the latter.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

rebor "not" George from rampage
your source of self destruction

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I picked up the Bandai Shin Ultraman ultra action figure. And I've been continually impressed with this spindly little guy's ability to hold endless different poses. Has Bandai ever done other figures like this outside of the Ultra line, at this price point?