The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

The One and Only
Futurian

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by The One and Only »

Some more details for Dan Trachtenberg's new PREDATOR flick set to start filming this summer.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movies/36 ... -revealed/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

yeah, no thnx. didn't even bother watching The Predator for how terrible the premise sounded. I'd honestly like something similar to Predator 2 (which is extremely imaginative, satisfyingly violent, and enjoyably campy) because you can't return to the first Predator structurally since it's so perfectly simple that anything too similar would be pointless and redundant.

it's a shame the AvP films weren't direct adaptations of the first few AvP comics because that would have been a very successful and innovative future for both franchises going forward.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Trailer for Marvel Comics' first ALIEN comic.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

AK Siwach wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:52 pmthis script sounds abominably bad.
I have mixed feelings about it myself. Though there's this to be said: It's nice that on the movie end of the spectrum, the franchise is expanding its horizons on when and who the Yautjas hunt.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

The One and Only wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:54 pm Trailer for Marvel Comics' first ALIEN comic.
https://www.yotube.com/watch?v=ujtcRKToClc
This trailer made me think about something - they used to make these motion comics they released on dvd for several years, back in the early-mid 10s. They stopped them for some reason, but they were really well done. I'd love to see something like that for these new Alien comics. After the horrible movies we've gotten past couple of decades, it'd be nice to see something good from this franchise on my screen again...
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone think that Capcom could try to re-license The Alien IP (and possibly Predator too) and make a survival horror game modeled after Resident Evil? I know there's Alien Isolation but would it hurt if Capcom did their own spin on the idea?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:07 pm Does anyone think that Capcom could try to re-license The Alien IP (and possibly Predator too) and make a survival horror game modeled after Resident Evil? I know there's Alien Isolation but would it hurt if Capcom did their own spin on the idea?
Sounds pointless.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:09 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:07 pm Does anyone think that Capcom could try to re-license The Alien IP (and possibly Predator too) and make a survival horror game modeled after Resident Evil? I know there's Alien Isolation but would it hurt if Capcom did their own spin on the idea?
Sounds pointless.
Could you explain why?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:13 pm
UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:09 pm
Sounds pointless.
Could you explain why?
Alien Isolation exists and is literally one of the best survival horror games out there.

Why would we have it be made again?

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Modern Resident Evil games and Alien Isolation are too similar for Capcom to really do anything special with it; the only real difference would be to give you some more monsters to kill, I guess. But you already have Mr. X, Nemesis, and the Baker Family as sort of comparable AI to the Alien (though the AI isn't NEARLY as intelligent as the Alien's AI); one big bad constantly tracking you that you have to sneak and maneuver around, while dealing with other obstacles such as zombies or, in Alien's case, survivors/Working Joes.

If Alien Isolation didn't exist, then yeah I'd be all for a Resident Evil type Alien game. But we already have it. Let's just get an Alien: Isolation sequel that improves upon the last one, does some creative stuff, and let Capcom keep doing their thing.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I want a third person action adventure game with the Predator. Maybe have custom options for armor and facial designs too.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:52 am I want a third person action adventure game with the Predator. Maybe have custom options for armor and facial designs too.
Hunting Grounds scratches this itch very well.

I wish they'd remaster Concrete Jungle.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Maritonic wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:56 am
Maverick Centigrade wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:52 am I want a third person action adventure game with the Predator. Maybe have custom options for armor and facial designs too.
Hunting Grounds scratches this itch very well.

I wish they'd remaster Concrete Jungle.
Still with MP only focus it's not all it could be for a Predator game. Honestly I wouldn't mind the Ubisoft approach. An open world, collecting weapons and special artifacts. Building your own tribe, hunting on exotic planets, etc. I know Ubi games aren't everyone's thing, but I feel the format would be good for a Predator game.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Well, I wasn't trying to imply it was the end-all for Predator games, I was simply saying it scratches the itch of having a customizable Predator. And with single player coming (or...here already, I don't recall. Out of the loop). I think it's going to continue to scratch the itch until we get something comparable to what Alien: Isolation was for the Alien franchise.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Maritonic wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:25 am Well, I wasn't trying to imply it was the end-all for Predator games, I was simply saying it scratches the itch of having a customizable Predator. And with single player coming (or...here already, I don't recall. Out of the loop). I think it's going to continue to scratch the itch until we get something comparable to what Alien: Isolation was for the Alien franchise.
I'm aware of the Lone Wolf mode SP, it looks ok, but not sure how deep it's going to be. Missions look short. But if they continue to add to it same as MP, then I'll definitely have that itch scratched for a while.

They should also do a horde mode. Two Predator players, or one, against increasing waves of fire team AI.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

AK Siwach wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:46 pm I don't understand the doubters of Capcom and Alien. Capcom is known for doing different horror type games. They did Dino Crisis so I am sure they could pull of Alien too. Bonus points for Predator.
It's not so much doubting Capcom as it is "we already have something like this, why do we need another?"

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Just give me a fully fleshed out Rocksteady Predator: Arkham Knight and I'll be pleased.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

The One and Only wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:54 pm Trailer for Marvel Comics' first ALIEN comic.
[YouTube]https://www.yotube.com/watch?v=ujtcRKToClc
That interior art looks so bad. Not every artist can be Simon Bisley or Kilian Plunkett, but this is just laughably bland.

Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The skreeonk is wrong with the dude on the left lmao. :lol:
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I think Hunting Grounds is good for what it is (granted I haven't played it in... months) but of what I've played with friends and by myself, it's fun. It's not a "big ultra open world mind blowing experience" but I'm just happy that I got a game that I've been wanting since I got into the franchise: A Friday the 13th type game with Predators and soldiers.

That said, it's pretty fuckin ridiculous that they have two separate Arnolds that are nearly the same but you have to pay for both.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.