General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Elytron Frass
Ronin

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Elytron Frass »

Anytime there's a new monsterverse film on the horizon I find myself not rewatching old godzilla or Kong films but the incomparable Gamera trilogy instead.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Ordered the steelbook of the Gamera trilogy (cheaper than the Gamera trilogy + the Brave release). Will hopefully snag the Showa era one of these coming days.
Resized Image

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

I've only seen The Brave (which I didn't enjoy) & the 90s Gamera Trilogy (which might be my favorite giant monster film next to Pacific Rim). Are there any other must-see similar-in-quality Gamera films?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Elytron Frass wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:43 am I've only seen The Brave (which I didn't enjoy) & the 90s Gamera Trilogy (which might be my favorite giant monster film next to Pacific Rim). Are there any other must-see similar-in-quality Gamera films?
The showa Gamera series overall is inferior to the showa Godzilla series, but there’s still some fun to be had. Gammera the Invincible is fine, and vs Barugon and Gyaos are just decent monster flicks. Vs Jiger is good too!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

vs. Guiron is probably my personal favorite Showa entry. It's... maybe not for everyone, though. :lol: It's very much a children's film, lighthearted, goofy, and whimsical. A lot of fun, but there's nothing serious, grounded, or realistic about it. It does have one of the most shockingly violent kaiju battles in the genre, though, amusingly enough.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

When it comes to Showa Gamera flicks, I definitely favor the more out-there entries. The back-to-back entries Viras, Guiron and Jiger are solidly my favorites.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I can see why Gyaos is a lot of people's favorite...but I like Barugon for the budget and writing, Guiron for being out there and Jiger for being the right balance of kids, adventure and neat monster.
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:34 am I can see why Gyaos is a lot of people's favorite...but I like Barugon for the budget and writing, Guiron for being out there and Jiger for being the right balance of kids, adventure and neat monster.
Barugon is my favorite Showa Gamera movie, and Guiron my favorite monster (outside the big turtle himself).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Baragon might be one of the best showa kaiju films period.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I used to hate Viras, but I realized over time I like the final fight a lot. Viras is a uniquish looking monster and doesn't have as typical of a "dinosaurian design". All the Showa Gamera vs. Gamera films have some fun moments if you can get through some of the sloggish childish elements. The only one not worth watching, and probably the only Kaiju film I'd actively say is fine to skip over, is "Gamera the Super Monster", though it's a bit trippy enough to watch too.

Basically all the Showa Gamera entries are worth watching, especially if you've already seen all the Godzilla films. The only thing I'd advise, is to make sure you get a nice copy, dubbed or not. I used to really dislike the Showa Gamera series, just based on watching them off of cheap DVD's with poor video quality.

This isn't exactly what the difference is like, Viras in the first photo is in the shadows, but I think this sums up how much difference a nice release makes:

More modern release:

Added in 1 minute 23 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:53 pm Baragon might be one of the best showa kaiju films period.
I really appreciate the unique imagery of Baurgon and Gamera near the castle, with the entire place covered in snow. The film is filled with unique visuals.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think Gamera vs Gaos is the best Showa Gamera film, even factoring in how Barugon's superior production translated to the screen. IMO, Gaos is the only rival to concurrent Godzilla flicks, although even then it doesn't best any of them.

I think all eight Showa Gamera movies are fun in their own ways, but it's really clear that the FX unit--even with the resources given Barugon--weren't practiced enough to compete with Tsuburaya's team at Toho.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh man that strangely reminds me how Yuasa sounded gleeful that when the American occupying force saw some of Tsuburaya's movies they thought it was real war footage. "Ha ha his work is so good they think that's real battle footage! What a loser!' Yuasa is quite a character and you wouldn't have to change much if there was a manga centering around him making the Gamera movies. Gamera Sousei (Genesis). So like Gundam Genesis https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... ndamSousei

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:53 pm Oh man that strangely reminds me how Yuasa sounded gleeful that when the American occupying force saw some of Tsuburaya's movies they thought it was real war footage. "Ha ha his work is so good they think that's real battle footage! What a loser!'
Yuasa might have believed that but I bet that old Tsuburaya story is apocryphal.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Can't remember where I heard it with the big Arrow release since I was binging lots of that stuff.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I've always said the Japanese have great imaginations when it comes to making prehistoric and/or alien monsters and the Showa Gamera series is the prime example of this.

In fact, when I look at them, I sometimes think to myself "What were they smoking when they made up these monsters?" Hey, admit it, we've all thought this at one time or another.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm I've always said the Japanese have great imaginations when it comes to making prehistoric and/or alien monsters and the Showa Gamera series is the prime example of this.

In fact, when I look at them, I sometimes think to myself "What were they smoking when they made up these monsters?" Hey, admit it, we've all thought this at one time or another.
It was the 60s and 70s, so they had their choice of drugs man. Weed, acid, coke, peyote...I'm told it was a crazy time back then.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Showa Gamera had some memorable foes. Gyoas, Barugon, and Jiger were well designed and executed, but Guiron takes the prize for creative design. Whoever had the idea of turning a knife into a kaiju was either genius or weird. Either way, Guiron was one of his more lethal enemies.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I've found that the ones who don't smoke anything tend to have the craziest ideas.
I can about guarantee whomever designed Guiron was stone sober.
As a matter of fact I'm betting they were...
Straightedge 8-)
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

mikelcho wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm I've always said the Japanese have great imaginations when it comes to making prehistoric and/or alien monsters and the Showa Gamera series is the prime example of this.

I think that's one of Showa Gamera's strong points. They can perfectly embody just how bonkers a child's imagination can be.
Resized Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

If the Showa collection is still available come May, I'm getting it. But first, Showa Godzilla collection from Criterion while it's still available...