How exactly do you hire King Ghidorah?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: How exactly do you hire King Ghidorah?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Obviously by hooking him up with a 3-for-one Groupon for a haberdashery
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

You convince him that your alien species is the best to work for? And if he fails, you fire him?

Seriously, i think the aliens just have good mind control technology that just warps his mind into doing things for them.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Poor Ghidorah, after his debut film he just got passed around like a blunt to whatever alien species of the week came to town. Deserved much better.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

godjacob wrote:Poor Ghidorah, after his debut film he just got passed around like a blunt to whatever alien species of the week came to town. Deserved much better.
"My poor baby Ghdorah, ever since you went to that blue planet they pass you around lile a hoo-or!"
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I heard that's why he fired his agent.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Looks to me like he is just easily controlled which ironically contradicts his "destroyer of worlds" schtick. I guess you just need to have decent mind control technology.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

ToMG and G vs SG show that almost any kaiju could be controlled with the proper technology, and those were human technologies that were likely years behind what the alien races had.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

GvSG is a Heisei movie. Even then the mind control results were definitely limited.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Probably dubious amounts of coke.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Blackstripe
Ronin

Post by Blackstripe »

Hello, old thread! I was surprised to see that people kept finding and responding to it over the years! Having watched Godzilla vs Kong just hours ago, I now have some new thoughts to add to this discussion! Naturally, there will be major SPOILERS below, so if you haven't seen the film yet, look out!

So, throughout both the Showa and Heisei eras, King Ghidorah has, despite often having the reputation of being a destroyer of worlds, been depicted as the easy tool of alien civilizations. This had always bugged me somewhat, as I felt like it diminished the character of this overwhelming space demon that had annihilated Venus and its civilization, along with numerous other worlds, supposedly. On three sperate occasions, alien invaders had enslaved him seemingly without any difficulty whatsoever.

This trend largely continued in the Millennium series, as aside from GMK, where he was a hero, he was once again being controlled by aliens in Final Wars.
Spoiler:
But Legendary Ghidorah seems to be the complete opposite. He seems to have his own (highly destructive) goals and plans, and even after being defeated by Godzilla in King of Monsters, he seems to actively manipulate the humans in Godzilla vs Kong, faking being under their control until the very minute they finish his new body, before immediately betraying and killing them. That is quite the departure from how the monster is typically depicted, and I feel it really gives him a sinister edge. Legendary kaiju in general seem quite intelligent, and so, for the ultimate evil that is Ghidorah, it is quite refreshing to see him essentially declare that he is no one's pawn!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Spoiler:
It is entirely the reason Legendary Ghidorah is by far my fav version of the character. He is the one calling the shots, even pulling a fast one on those who try to use his power for their gain even as a lone skull! This Ghidorah has menace and more importantly an agency to him which is shockingly lacking for the terror of the stars and it is wonderfully refreshing. He is evil, dangerous, powerful, cunning and a worthy rival to the King of the Monsters if there ever was.
And yeah always open to reigniting topics for discussion.