Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Vakanai »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:Just watched Made In Abyss.

In terms of the actual content, it's easily a 9/10. The story is beautiful, the characters are all sympathetic and relatable, it's got an incredible worldbuilding, and the animation and soundtrack are pretty top notch.

...But, there are some lolicon insinuations that have made it a somewhat uncomfortable to watch, especially towards the end. Nothing especially explicit, but...yeah.

I rec it, but only if you can stomach and/or ignore some of the...questionable implications
It could be that it's been a couple years, but I don't really remember any questionable implications?
I mean, having both Riko and Reg swim naked while pretty much spilling out that Reg's got an erection is something I find kinda uncomfortable.
Yep, definitely been a couple years - I do not remember that scene.
Still less uncomfortable than rabbit girl's whole origin story, man that was dark.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Vakanai wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
Vakanai wrote: It could be that it's been a couple years, but I don't really remember any questionable implications?
I mean, having both Riko and Reg swim naked while pretty much spilling out that Reg's got an erection is something I find kinda uncomfortable.
Still less uncomfortable than rabbit girl's whole origin story, man that was dark.
Yup, that was dark af

Bondrewd makes Shou Tucker look like an amateur.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
Yup, that was dark af

Whenever they get around to making a season two, I hope something really horrible happens to that guy.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Vakanai wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Yep, definitely been a couple years - I do not remember that scene.
Yup, that was dark af

Whenever they get around to making a season two, I hope something really horrible happens to that guy.
There's actually a movie out that deals with him

It's called Made In Abyss: Dawn Of The Deep Soul.

Came out on January of this year, and would have been released in the West, if not for the Coronavirus
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:
Yup, that was dark af

There's actually a movie out that deals with him

It's called Made In Abyss: Dawn Of The Deep Soul.

Came out on January of this year, and would have been released in the West, if not for the Coronavirus
Somehow I always miss the news about these movies. I'll have to check it out when it makes it here. Thanks!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^There's also the whole "stringing up naked as punishment" thing, although thankfully we don't see much of that. From what I've heard, the manga is, regrettably, more explicit about stuff like that; and as a whole the story only gets darker.
...But yeah, season one as a whole was really strong, and the production values were great. How about that soundtrack, though? 8-)

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Honestly, upon rewatching Made In Abyss, I do have to say that the naked moments do contribute to the story and themes much more than I originally thought

This video shares many of my interprations, and explains probs better than I ever could

Although yeah, the manga is much more gratuitous on the child nakedness. Author's definitely on Lolicon.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

When the fuck is there going to be another season of Goblin Slayer?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

This may be off-topic or even irrelevant, but does anyone else remember that "lost anime OVA" Go For a Punch, or Saki Sanobashi?

I know it doesn't really exist, but I thought it was very interesting, almost creepypasta-esque.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Watched Hellsing Ultimate during my quarantine break. Super badass and a fantastic english dub. Loved all the side characters, especially Heinkel Wolfe.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

2004Zilla wrote:Watched Hellsing Ultimate during my quarantine break. Super badass and a fantastic english dub. Loved all the side characters, especially Heinkel Wolfe.
Hellsing Ultimate is part of the Holy Trinity of Dubs alongside Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Black Lagoon, where the dub is superior to the original one.

Also yeah, Hellsing is fucking cool. The Major it's still part of my Top 5 Best Villains Ever.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:Watched Hellsing Ultimate during my quarantine break. Super badass and a fantastic english dub. Loved all the side characters, especially Heinkel Wolfe.
Hellsing Ultimate is part of the Holy Trinity of Dubs alongside Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and Black Lagoon, where the dub is superior to the original one.

Also yeah, Hellsing is skreeonking cool. The Major it's still part of my Top 5 Best Villains Ever.
You're forgetting that most people all consider the dub to Cowboy Bebop superior to the original as well.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Vakanai wrote:
ManuJM1997 wrote:

Also yeah, Hellsing is skreeonking cool. The Major it's still part of my Top 5 Best Villains Ever.
You're forgetting that most people all consider the dub to Cowboy Bebop superior to the original as well.
I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop yet, so decided to not include it as of now

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I’m rewatching Jojo during the quarantine my sister is getting into it so I figured we’d watch it together. Just finished the first two parts, I forgot how weak Phantom Blood was and how much I liked Battle Tendency. Let’s see if I like Stardust Crusaders and Diamond is Unbreakable as much as I did in my first watch.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I'm trying to get into the Ghost in the shell franchise and I'm a little confused. I've seen the original movie and am watching stand alone complex. Is there a prequel to stand alone complex? Whats the viewing order?

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The first anime I watched was either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't like them that much at the time. I liked Ponyo and Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, but I never got into anime until my Sophomore year when I watched a lot of anime on Netflix on my Nintendo Wii. Shows such as Chobits, Okami-san and Her Seven Companions, Ghost Hunt, Chaos;Head and Heaven's lost Property were the ones I watched a lot during that time. Some of my most favorite anime are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Deadman Wonderland and The Wind Rises.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:The first anime I watched was either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't like them that much at the time. I liked Ponyo and Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, but I never got into anime until my Sophomore year when I watched a lot of anime on Netflix on my Nintendo Wii. Shows such as Chobits, Okami-san and Her Seven Companions, Ghost Hunt, Chaos;Head and Heaven's lost Property were the ones I watched a lot during that time. Some of my most favorite anime are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Deadman Wonderland and The Wind Rises.
Have you seen Evangelion? You brought up Akira and Ghost in the shell. Evangelion is sort of like those two, not exactly but stem from a more inspired genre than a typical shonen story.

Evangelion IMO is on the list of "LSD Jellyfish's" required viewing of films and anime for Kaiju fans. I recently finished Godzilla the series ANIME ( :P ) so I might consider rewatching Evangelion in it's entirety.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I just watched the Eva Rebuilds (I watched NGE when it was released on Netflix, I know I didn't experience the true dub, yada yada), when they where posted on youtube a week or so ago (had to download my own subs though). Overall, I really liked them. No they aren't as good as the original, but I did enjoy them.

I was thoroughly entertained with 1.0 as I thought it was a good recap of the first few episodes, and I enjoy it in the same vein as Death^2 Truth or whatever its called. Also the Ramiel fight with the new music is brilliant (can't wait to see what Shiro Sagisu does for Shin Ultraman). Worth it just for that if nothing else.

While I didn't like the first act of 2.0, I really enjoyed the last two thirds. The further character development with Rei works really well in my opinion (especially since they change up the Shinji and Asuka behavioral dynamic anyways, full doll Rei only works to complement those two in the original series), and I loved the flipped ending. I see a lot of complaints for this one, and most of them seem to an amalgamation of two things. Specifically that Shinji's character isn't as deep, as well as Shinji's character isn't the same. So many complaints, to me at least, seem to complain that Rebuild Shinji is flatter by directly comparing his behavior to his nge. While I will say he's not as deep (mainly due to the time restrictions), he's fundamentally a different character than in nge, so saying that he doesn't exhibit these same trait seems to me like saying this chocolate ice cream isn't as rich because it's not strawberry. Now, there's nothing wrong with not liking this change either, I just don't think he's as flat as people say.

The third film is definitely weird. I'm not so sold on what I'd call the aesthetic change, but besides that I liked that Kaworu got more development, and how it tires to be introspective (it doesn't always succeed). I also went into this one knowing I would have no idea whats going on, so that helped.

Now there are some things I disliked. Mari is clearly just fan service. I honestly hope 3.0 + 1.0 develops her more just so she isn't totally devoid of substance. Maybe its the sunken cost fallacy in me, but I'd like to think that the time spent on her in previous films is not for waste. Oh well.

I'm also curious as to how much my enjoyment comes from carrying over my knowledge of the original series. I'd be curious as to my reactions had I not known what happened in the original show.

Also just watched Ghost in the Shell (its free on youtube at the moment with Subs) highly recommend that.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

cloverfan98 wrote:I'm trying to get into the Ghost in the shell franchise and I'm a little confused. I've seen the original movie and am watching stand alone complex. Is there a prequel to stand alone complex? Whats the viewing order?
I've only seen the original film myself, but as far as I know, SAC stands on its own (although I'm hearing that the new Netflix show works as a loose sequel). There might be some connected movies/OVAs, but those might be compilations.
The original film and 2.0: Innocence have their own canon, I believe, as does the ARISE series. I really need to get back into the franchise sometime.

My first anime was Spirited Away, shown to me without warning by some friends. I had never been interested in anime before; but that film, plus some other shows/circumstances, convinced me to give it a try.
For better or worse, Neon Genesis Evangelion was my first pick for a TV anime (I blame the SHMA prototypes - I was like, "there are kaiju in anime?!"). NGE is not an easy show to get into, and if you dig through this thread or the Evangelion thread, you can probably see my posts about how confused/frustrated I was; but it fascinated me all the same, and I do recommend giving it at least one try.
Some other titles I started with were Bleach (meh), Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water (not bad), Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions (liked it right away), and a number of Miyazaki/Ghibli films (generally good to great).

I'm not watching much right now, but I am enjoying season 2 of Kaguya-sama: Love Is War, and I'm checking out a decently goofy show called Sabagebu! as well (I'll leave you with this and let you judge). I also started reading the manga for 3-gatsu no Lion and have been gobbling it up - OH BOY do I want a third season now.

...And for those of you who watched SSSS.GRIDMAN:
Trigger's SSSS.Dynazenon Anime Reveals Cast, Visual

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
CrimsonBloodX wrote:The first anime I watched was either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z, but I didn't like them that much at the time. I liked Ponyo and Kashimashi: Girl Meets Girl, but I never got into anime until my Sophomore year when I watched a lot of anime on Netflix on my Nintendo Wii. Shows such as Chobits, Okami-san and Her Seven Companions, Ghost Hunt, Chaos;Head and Heaven's lost Property were the ones I watched a lot during that time. Some of my most favorite anime are Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Death Note, Deadman Wonderland and The Wind Rises.
Have you seen Evangelion? You brought up Akira and Ghost in the shell. Evangelion is sort of like those two, not exactly but stem from a more inspired genre than a typical shonen story.

Evangelion IMO is on the list of "LSD Jellyfish's" required viewing of films and anime for Kaiju fans. I recently finished Godzilla the series ANIME ( :P ) so I might consider rewatching Evangelion in it's entirety.
Oh yeah, I watched the first two Rebuild of Evangelion films back in 2014 when Toonami was airing them. I have yet to see 3.0 and I'm looking forward to 3.0+1.0. But I didn't see the original Neon Genesis Evangelion show or The End of Evangelion until last year when they were both added on Netflix. I really enjoyed the show. The End of Evangelion is good, but I actually prefer the show's ending despite it's cheesy "Congratulations!" scene. I haven't seen the first two Rebuild films since they were shown on Toonami. I'm thinking about buying Blu-rays for the three movies and watch them before 3.0+1.0 comes out.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft