Favourite MonsterVerse Godzilla Roar

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Favourite Godzilla Roar?

47%
40%
13%

Total votes: 15

Voyager
Keizer

Favourite MonsterVerse Godzilla Roar

Post by Voyager »

I'm gonna hold firm that they should have kept the wholly original 2014 roar for the subsequent films. Mixing in Toho roars were fine, but then removing them in GvK felt a bit jarring.
For Emperor and Empire!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Re: Favourite MonsterVerse Godzilla Roar

Post by king_ghidorah »

Id say either G 2014 or G 2019.

G 2014 feels more distinctive and matches the design a bitter better but it doesn’t always feel organic either. The long roar in front of the Chinese lanterns seems a bit synth-y to me.

G 2019 at times lacks some of the oomph of 2014 but it’s nostalgic and they also give G a variety of roars in the film. He’s got a decent amount of range here and there are no bad versions.

G 2021 is just half of the 2014 roar without the distinctive second half of the roar at the end. Really frustrating and nonsensical to have made that choice.

I think I’ll give the slight edge to 2019 for now all things considered.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Definitely 2014. That little 54 roar when he fell into the iceberg hole was neat but I'm not too jazzed about the Boston entrance roar or the times they tried mixing the two together.

However, I initially thought this was gonna be about individual roar sound effects and in that case, it has to be the Chinatown roar. It just has a sense of power and iconicity (that a word?) that the shorter ones don't have. Helps that it was played at the end of every trailer, I guess.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I need to watch G 2014 again. The first few times I saw the Chinatown sequence that roar felt insanely inorganic to me. Same for the victory roar after the kiss of death.

The last few times thought both have been super on point and great.

I voted G 2019 because none of the roars rubbed me the wrong way.

But I also have to say that none of the 2019 roars achieve the highs of the 2014 roars either.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

The Toho roars in 2019 felt really out of place with the rest of the sound design. Like when Madison turns to face him after he blasts Ghidorah. It's so low quality. I never really noticed anything distinctive about 2021's roars, I assumed most of them were reused.

And I guess this is the best place to say it, the middle part of the Monsterverse roar is really odd. It sounds like a plane taking off or something.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.