Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs Kong Sequel

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

No point in keep arguing. Just gonna keep on repeating myself so just gonna drop this now.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

People should absolutely not be using Godzilla vs Kong's success as a barometer of how another solo Godzilla film might do. You're going to disappoint yourself when/if one happens.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:28 pm People should absolutely not be using Godzilla vs Kong's success as a barometer of how another solo Godzilla film might do. You're going to disappoint yourself when/if one happens.
I was not attempting to do that in any way shape or form.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:13 pm
Maritonic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:47 amBecause Godzilla vs Kong bombed, obviously. Maybe if they resurrected Bryan Cranston for Godzilla 3, we'd have a real banger on our hands.
Because it had Kong in it whose the only thing keeping the MonsterVerse alive
This assumption is based on zero evidence.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:27 pm No point in keep arguing. Just gonna keep on repeating myself so just gonna drop this now.
Isn't that all you do anyways?
Last edited by godzillafan1954 on Sat May 14, 2022 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Nobody craps on the Godzilla franchise more than Godzilla fans

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:22 pm Nobody craps on the Godzilla franchise more than Godzilla fans
Last edited by godzillafan1954 on Sat May 14, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Titanus_Rodan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:22 pm Nobody craps on the Godzilla franchise more than Godzilla fans
Lmao right! Sometimes I think we need to curb the seriousness of the conversation. Then again, after a recent conversation with Marvel fans, I think we may be sane after all! There is hope!

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:43 am That's my final input on this.
Don't make promises you can't keep.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:22 pm
Maritonic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:17 pmIs Bryan Cranston playing as Kong and thats why both were wins?
Kong is overall more popular of the two which helps given he's an American icon unlike Godzilla. What's the first thing people thinks when they think of giant gorillas? He's an icon of American cinema having even an entire museum of himself in the Empire State building as well as marketing notably giant gorilla ballons at tire shops and such.

K:SI: $566 million > G14: $529 million

Which again G14 only did well due to curiosity of 15 years after last American Godzilla remake and Bryan Cranston popularity hot from Breaking Bad and while opening week was strong it dropped in the process for reasons already mentioned I said in the thread.

Godzilla on the other hand, is while recognizable in name alongside those such as Kong himself, Superman, Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny is nowhere as popular, this can be blamed given the stigma left by the Showa movies which gives people the impression of giant rubber monsters attacking cardboard cities.

This is what people has to understand. There's a difference between popularity and recognition. The two are totally different, they're not the same thing.
After Godzilla vs Kong and both of them being in a major game like Call of Duty, I'm sure Godzilla is more known than ever before to the general audience.

Added in 1 minute 6 seconds:
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:01 pm
Lmao right! Sometimes I think we need to curb the seriousness of the conversation. Then again, after a recent conversation with Marvel fans, I think we may be sane after all! There is hope!
At least the fanbase isn't like the Star Wars one.

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:13 pm
Maritonic wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:47 amBecause Godzilla vs Kong bombed, obviously. Maybe if they resurrected Bryan Cranston for Godzilla 3, we'd have a real banger on our hands.
Because it had Kong in it whose the only thing keeping the MonsterVerse alive.

Factor in there was barely competition, things were opening up again, this was the closest exciting thing folks could think to see. Say this now if it had to endure competition like an MCU or the like.
It wasn't JUST Kong though. People finally had a chance to see a Hollywood budget brawl between two of the greatest Kaijus in cinema.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Just an observation but I’m seeing way more Godzilla skins in COD than Kong.

I think Kong has more GA appeal with women and casuals maybe but geeks and nerds seem to skew G.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Wait. Did someone just say the mere existence of Godzilla vs Kong and whatever it is that Call of Duty thing is have suddenly made Godzilla "more well known"?

Godzilla is as well known as he ever has been or ever will be. At this point, almost 70 years on, Godzilla is not going to suddenly get "more popular" or "more well known" in this country. Personally I think the characters popularity in America has just about gotten as high as it can.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:28 pm People should absolutely not be using Godzilla vs Kong's success as a barometer of how another solo Godzilla film might do. You're going to disappoint yourself when/if one happens.
Nor should people use KOTM as a barometer that solo American Godzilla films will bomb.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:26 am
Nor should people use KOTM as a barometer that solo American Godzilla films will bomb.
Eh, I find that to be a much more realistic perspective than "Godzilla vs Kong did well so everything is gonna be all right". Fans can blame competition or bad writing all they want. The reality is that KOTM was the closest possible an American Godzilla movie could have come to a classic Godzilla film, and featured three of his most well known co-stars. And it still did poorly. And I stand by my belief that it's going to be very tough, if not impossible, to do a solo Godzilla 3 without Kong and get audiences to care about Godzilla pounding monsters they've never heard of.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sun May 15, 2022 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I would agree with that. Godzilla probably needs Kong to do really well at the BO right now in the west

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:34 am
Eh, I find that to be a much more realistic perspective than "Godzilla vs Kong did well so everything is gonna be all right". Fans can blame competition or bad writing all they want. The reality is that KOTM was the closest possible an American Godzilla movie couple have come to classic Godzilla film, and feature three of his most well known co-stars. And it still did poorly. And I stand by my belief that it's going to be very tough, if not impossible, to do a solo Godzilla 3 without Kong and get audiences to care about Godzilla pounding monsters they've never heard of.

But you also have to look at other facts as well.
1. All of the kaiju in KOTM were universally praised by the movie critics. What was panned was the story, uneven narrative, dialogue, and pacing. Also the movie had moderate to high audience scores.
2. Lots of movie franchises have had similar box office to budget ratios as KOTM and yet still continued. In addition to mcu's captain America and incredible hulk, paramount is still making Star Trek shows and trying to make another abrams timeline trek despite Into Darkness being controversial and beyond's underperformance (which Beyond had a similar budget to KOTM with a slightly less box office). The only reason why a new trek movie has not been made is because of behind the scenes drama that had nothing to do with Beyonds box office.
3. I have seen you use MMPR as an example of a franchise bigger than Godzilla. Well, power rangers last reboot movie attempt box office was less than half of KOTM's box office and yet they still tried to make a sequel until Hasbro bought the franchise and is working on their own reboot attempt.
4. Chris, who is a Toho employee, has mentioned multiple times that Godzilla ip and merchandise is doing very well and is expanding. He even finds it baffling that fans think the franchise is doomed just because KOTM slightly underperformed.
5. I know you mentioned hating the fact that the monsterverse needs China. Disney recently announced that it's proud they don't need China for their movies (citing Multiverse of Madness as an example of refusing to edit out LBGT plot points to get a Chinese release and still be a huge hit). While that's likely lip service, there is the possibility that the monsterverse will get less competition in China (though it would mean less film writing freedom for the monsterverse).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Titanus_Rodan
Monarch Researcher

Post by Titanus_Rodan »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:34 am
Eh, I find that to be a much more realistic perspective than "Godzilla vs Kong did well so everything is gonna be all right".
Not really because Godzilla 2014 made over half a billion WW.

Also-
Godzilla: King of the Monsters was released alongside Rocketman and Ma. Rocketman was able to pull in $25 million and Ma with $18.2 million. With Aladdin still going on strong and the release of Rocketman and Ma, that may have contributed to the lower numbers for the Godzilla sequel.
Godzilla: King of the Monsters has a production budget of $170 million, which is $10 million more than 2014’s Godzilla. To break even, it’s estimated that it will need to make $340 million.
https://nerdreactor.com/2019/06/04/godz ... e-opening/
Last edited by Titanus_Rodan on Sun May 15, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:55 am
KingKaiju wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:56 pmBut you know what the biggest problem was? They started promoting the film almost a year out. The audience was burned out and didn't care by the time the movie came out. Nevermind the word of mouth, people didn't even run out to see this movie opening weekend, so it's notlike they showed up in droves and then fell off. It never got going to begin with.
Sure say that if that were an MCU film. Things would be different otherwise.

Also should have worded my post clearer. I meant people being promised Bryan Cranston as the main lead hot off the success of Breaking Bad as trailers indicated for G14 only to be bait and switched with his son aka generic soldier boy no one gave a skreeonk about.

This along with the dull characters and cockteasing of monster fights had people assumed King of the Monsters would have been no less the same.

Why G14 despite having a strong opening week eventually dropping in the following weeks.
Explain why Power Rangers 2017 bombed hard then. Power Rangers
1. Supposedly more popular than Kong and Godzilla
2. Also had Bryan Cranston (as well as Elizabeth Banks). The stories of Cranston being a monster voice for the original MMPR also came out. Also Bryan Cranston was used more in power rangers than in Godzilla.
3. First reboot attempt with having it's last movie being 20 years ago
4. Had just as much hype as Godzilla 2014
5. Had similar competition (Kong Skull island and live action beauty and the Beast)
6. Is a super hero movie

By all these accounts, Power rangers 2017 should have done better than Godzilla 2014 and made Kong Skull island a bomb. Yet Power Rangers 2017 made less than half of KOTM's box office.
Last edited by darthzilla99 on Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy19
Interpol Agent

Post by Sammy19 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:05 am Just an observation but I’m seeing way more Godzilla skins in COD than Kong.

I think Kong has more GA appeal with women and casuals maybe but geeks and nerds seem to skew G.
The main reason has to be that Godzilla's skin looks way better than Kong's.
Last edited by Sammy19 on Sun May 15, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Sammy19 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:59 am
king_ghidorah wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:05 am Just an observation but I’m seeing way more Godzilla skins in COD than Kong.

The main reason has to be that Godzilla's skin looks way better than Kong's.
A degree of truth to be sure. Also. While Kong’s axe is a good weapon his SMG absolutely sucks