Could a Solo creature Monsterverse Movie Work? What would you do?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Could a Solo creature Monsterverse Movie Work? What would you do?

Post by Gojira1604 »

Could a movie in this series focused on one main beast work when they've all to some extent, been revolved around rivalries? Godzilla Vs MUTOs, Kong Vs Skullcrawlers, Godzilla Vs Ghidorah, Godzilla Vs Kong, Kong Vs Camazotz, Godzilla Vs Shinomura, Vs MUTO Prime, etc. The "Fight" seems to be a staple of these stories. So my question is, would a feature film or even comic focused on just one monster be good. Good for the Monsterverse? A change of pace maybe. With the monster either being a lone menace (like Godzilla & Rodan have been, or like Dogora for another example) or something else more passive (Mothra, Kong & Behemoth I see having that potential).
Last edited by Gojira1604 on Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Re: Could a Solo creature Monsterverse Movie Work? What would you do?

Post by UltramanGoji »

My gut answer is fairly generic but sincere: with the right cast and crew, absolutely.

Even though G14 was a "versus"-type movie, I feel like its marketing was able to offer the opportunity at a fantastically-styled solo outing that didn't end up coming to pass. Something with that type of apocalyptic tone with a star-studded cast and talented crew behind it could work very well.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

No.

Sorry, but no. Unless is Godzilla, no. The GA could care less about any monster.

Unfortunately, for the MV to work, every product needs to feature Godzilla or Kong.

Ghidorah could probably lead a film, but other than that?

No.
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

these movies thrive on the promise of monster fights so no real way they're gonna greenlight a solo film

people want the fights
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Could it work as a movie? Sure, as long as you do it right.

Will it ever happen? Don't make me laugh.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Really like the idea someone threw out of having a ne0-noir detective thriller set during a kaiju attack.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Best chance I'd say is an HBOMax mini-series such as on Mothra. It would allow more fleshing out and time on exploring the mythos and culture around her.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:02 am Best chance I'd say is an HBOMax mini-series such as on Mothra. It would allow more fleshing out and time on exploring the mythos and culture around her.
That "best chance" is still pretty miniscule.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:14 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:02 am Best chance I'd say is an HBOMax mini-series such as on Mothra. It would allow more fleshing out and time on exploring the mythos and culture around her.
That "best chance" is still pretty miniscule.
Yes, okay thank you. We get it. No need to point this out anytime someone brings up the subject.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I don't understand the thought process behind "GA doesn't care about monsters"

Cloverfield did great, and is considered a staple in modern monster films. It didn't need Godzilla nor a pre-existing IP, nor even a traditional means of filmmaking.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

The GA doesn't really care about any of Toho's roster outside of G himself...so why would you spend the money on character rights that won't bring anything extra to the table. As you just pointed out, Cloverfield not having any preexisting IP attached to it didn't do anything really for it at the BO.

And flipping that, bringing KG, Mothra and Rodan didn't net any GKOTM considerable additional funds...in fact it lost money compared to G 2014 which featured original monsters and a more ground/realistic take on the subject.

So bringing any more fantastical monsters from Toho's roster will only cost more money, but it also will likely only appeal to diehards which will see the movie anyways and it MIGHT actually hurt things with the GA to feature something more outlandish like a Jet Jaguar or Gigan etc.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:41 pm I don't understand the thought process behind "GA doesn't care about monsters"

Cloverfield did great, and is considered a staple in modern monster films. It didn't need Godzilla nor a pre-existing IP, nor even a traditional means of filmmaking.
It was the way Cloverfield was filmed that made it successful. Didn't have anything to do with the monster.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

_JNavs_ wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:41 pm I don't understand the thought process behind "GA doesn't care about monsters"

Well, I think we are talking about the commercial value and efficiency.

Cloverfield was made on a low budget, so it could be treated as a success at the box office. It hit $170 million, but as of today, it is a low box office record even to be called a blockbuster. However, the production cost was only $25 million, so it was a success. Of course, since this is a pretty old movie, the inflation rate should also be considered. As of today, the production cost seems to exceed $30 million. But $30 million is still too low.

This movie allocated its monster screen time very efficiently, but instead, the overall appearance of the monster is very small. This movie is mostly about the humans struggling in the middle of the disaster scene. Any monster movie can succeed as long as it is made efficiently and fun in this way. Even if you send out Varan or Gezora. So Mothra and Rodan is also very possible. Why not. I'll be immediately watching it when this kind of solo movie is released...... but I mean, will the production companies think this is a good idea? If Mothra and Rodan have very little time to appear, is there a reason to buy their copyrights and make low-budget movies? I don't know.

Added in 2 minutes 45 seconds:
And if the time of appearance of the monsters is too small, I don't know if the fans will like this movie either.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Someone once suggested this, and I think they were right, that they should create a Skullcrawlers horror movie. Straight horror movies tend to draw more attention.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

If GvK kept Godzilla being a malicious destructive force and didn't introduce futuristic garbage or that hollow earth? Definitely do a traditional 1984 or Shin-like outing where the human drama coalesces with the destruction happening around them. I absolutely loved all the destruction scenes in GvK and displaying Godzilla's wrath against humanity would actually be interesting for a change. Sobering seeing this creature destroying everything in his path despite all their best efforts to thwart Godzilla's rampage.

Another option is definitely lower key, like a modern remake of Matango mixed with Varan. Give Varan something far more intriguing than being a reptilian sugar-glider. The Matango is reimagined as some curse Baradagi imparts on trespassers unworthy of looking upon his gaze. This village's "superstitions" are scrutinized by researchers after the Matango incident and are seen as pre-modern sanitary rituals that allows them to confront their "god". Think of this like Cloverfield Lane meets The Ruins in concept. Without the locals to appease Varan, he escapes and wreaks havoc. The "spores" that Varan carries on his body causes the Matango disease to turn into a horrific pandemic even worse than the initial attack. not sure how this would go for audiences, though. So maybe just keep it a Matango remake with elements hinting at Varan.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I've mentioned it before, but IMO the one truly solo monster movie the MonsterVerse could do right now is a Skullcrawler movie.

Because the Skullcrawlers are generally smaller than the others, I think you could do a more traditional Horror movie style creature feature with them: something like a Skullcrawler somehow gets loose in some rural part of America and it's mostly about locals dealing with it, so a much smaller scale movie that is in the same universe but beyond references doesn't really include Godzilla or Kong (the main connection, aside from the Skullcrawler itself, would be your usual MONARCH scientist character). This could broaden the audience a bit to include more traditional Horror fans, and also as a bonus could be a cheaper movie to produce (probably more in the $50M to $75M range). Plus, Skullcrawlers are already a fan fave and people were pretty happy to see them back in GvK so I don't think anybody would complain.

EDIT:
Gojira1604 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:18 pm Someone once suggested this, and I think they were right, that they should create a Skullcrawlers horror movie. Straight horror movies tend to draw more attention.
I should have read through the thread first, I didn't see this before I posted LOL xD
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Jaqua92 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:04 pm No.

Sorry, but no. Unless is Godzilla, no. The GA could care less about any monster.

Unfortunately, for the MV to work, every product needs to feature Godzilla or Kong.

No.
What about Mothra?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:30 pm
Jaqua92 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:04 pm No.

No.
What about Mothra?
I honestly feel like Mothra is the only other one that could. Nobody I knew knew who Ghidorah was before KOTM, and if they did, they just called him "that hydra that fought Godzilla"

Those same people knew Mothra by name as the "giant moth", so she could maybe work.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:26 pmI honestly feel like Mothra is the only other one that could. Nobody I knew knew who Ghidorah was before KOTM, and if they did, they just called him "that hydra that fought Godzilla"

Those same people knew Mothra by name as the "giant moth", so she could maybe work.
Mothra would work. As you point out, she's the only other kaiju in the cast that the general audience actually knows - despite what fans thing, NOBODY knows how Ghidorah is and even fewer (I'm deeply sad to say) know who Rodan is. Skullcrawlers work because you can do a more typical horror film. Mothra is the only other one with actual name recognition aside from Godzilla and Kong.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Another movie I think could work is one about Titanus Leviathan. Just because, y'know, people recognize that name and the whole Loch Ness Monster idea. Maybe even something about Na Kika AKA The Kraken.