Monarch: Legacy of Monsters on AppleTV+ [Weekly Ongoing Discussion]

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: New Godzilla Series On Apple TV+

Post by darthzilla99 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:19 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:23 pmThen why did power rangers do so bad when he was all over the marketing and the film.

How much more do you think G14 would have taken in?
Because at the time of G14. Bryan Cranston's popularity was at the height of its peak. Show ended around eight months before the film came out.

By the time Power Rangers came out it had been a few years so it probably settled down.
Power rangers had way more potential and publicity going on for it than Godzilla 2014.
1. Bryan Cranston.
2. Longer span of time since a Power Rangers movie was in theaters vs a Godzilla movie (17 years between the turbo pr movie and the 2017 movie vs. 15 years between Sony Godzilla 98 and Legendary Godzilla 2014. Even longer if you want to say the last MMPR movie vs. Power Rangers 2017.)
3. Elizabeth Banks star power as well.
4. Cameos by the original Green Ranger and Pink Ranger.
5. Popularity of super hero films.
6. First super hero film to have an lbgt super hero and an autistic super hero.
7. Bigger fanbase than Godzilla.

Everyone on Toho Kingdom was worried it was going to blow Kong Skull island out of the water. By every metric, Power Rangers 2017 should have at least had a bigger opening weakened than Godzilla 2014, yet KOTM made more money in a single weekend than Power Rangers total box office.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:21 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:23 pmThen why did power rangers do so bad when he was all over the marketing and the film.

How much more do you think G14 would have taken in?
Because at the time of G14. Bryan Cranston's popularity was at the height of its peak. Show ended around eight months before the film came out.

By the time Power Rangers came out it had been a few years so it probably settled down.
Power rangers had way more potential and publicity going on for it than Godzilla 2014.
1. Bryan Cranston.
2. Longer span of time since a Power Rangers movie was in theaters vs a Godzilla movie (17 years between the turbo pr movie and the 2017 movie vs. 15 years between Sony Godzilla 98 and Legendary Godzilla 2014. Even longer if you want to say the last MMPR movie vs. Power Rangers 2017.)

Everyone on Toho Kingdom was worried it was going to blow Kong Skull island out of the water. By every metric, Power Rangers 2017 should have at least had a bigger opening weakened than Godzilla 2014, yet KOTM made more money in a single weekend than Power Rangers total box office.
AFAIK the 2017 Power Rangers movie was under frequent ridicule by the general online populace well before it came out, due to it's attempt at more 'realistic' (the GA trend has been away from realism since mid-2010s) and ultimately uglier designs. That being said, going through your list:

1. Bryan Cranston is a disembodied, discoloured, and distorted head in the Power Rangers movie, and isn't focused on significantly in the marketing. In 2014, he's recognizably Bryan Cranston, plays a human character, and his dramatic monologues are the focus of much of the marketing. Also, like others have said, Bryan Cranston in 2014 is hot off the heels of Breaking Bad, which was still largely in public discussion. Breaking Bad fervor had died down significantly by 2017, and while still beloved, Bryan wasn't quite in the limelight like before.

2. I think that principle only applies to mega-cultural franchises, like Jurassic Park and Star Wars. If anything, those extra years are probably worse for Power Rangers.

3. No argument, but I did have to google to figure out who Elizabeth banks was.

4. I don't think that mattered all to much to the GA, nor was it particularly promoted.

5. While the movie definitely borrows a lot of superhero movie tropes, I think there's a decent level of separation by the general public of Power Rangers from superheroes.

6. Sure, in the same way that LeFou in Disney's 2017 Beauty and the Beast is the first openly gay Disney character.

7. I have no way to prove or deny that, but I'm fairly certain that, within certain limits, fandom size really has no impact over GA viewership. Also, in the hypothetical scenario that the Power Rangers fandom was big enough to have influence, it would be negative influence, due to distaste for the movie's rejection of the power rangers aesthetic that the fandom loves.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

GojiSquid wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:03 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:21 pm

1. Bryan Cranston.

AFAIK the 2017 Power Rangers movie was under frequent ridicule by the general online populace well before it came out, due to it's attempt at more 'realistic' (the GA trend has been away from realism since mid-2010s) and ultimately uglier designs. That being said, going through your list:

1. Bryan Cranston is a disembodied, discoloured, and distorted head in the Power Rangers movie, and isn't focused on significantly in the marketing. In 2014, he's recognizably Bryan Cranston, plays a human character, and his dramatic monologues are the focus of much of the marketing. Also, like others have said, Bryan Cranston in 2014 is hot off the heels of Breaking Bad, which was still largely in public discussion. Breaking Bad fervor had died down significantly by 2017, and while still beloved, Bryan wasn't quite in the limelight like before.

2. I think that principle only applies to mega-cultural franchises, like Jurassic Park and Star Wars. If anything, those extra years are probably worse for Power Rangers.

3. No argument, but I did have to google to figure out who Elizabeth banks was.

4. I don't think that mattered all to much to the GA, nor was it particularly promoted.

5. While the movie definitely borrows a lot of superhero movie tropes, I think there's a decent level of separation by the general public of Power Rangers from superheroes.

6. Sure, in the same way that LeFou in Disney's 2017 Beauty and the Beast is the first openly gay Disney character.

7. I have no way to prove or deny that, but I'm fairly certain that, within certain limits, fandom size really has no impact over GA viewership. Also, in the hypothetical scenario that the Power Rangers fandom was big enough to have influence, it would be negative influence, due to distaste for the movie's rejection of the power rangers aesthetic that the fandom loves.
According to some people on Toho Kingdom, MMPR is a mega Nolstalgic franchise that Dwarfs the like of Godzilla and Kong, even though I used to argue that Power Rangers outside the fanbase and MMPR is one of the most mocked and made fun of franchises of all time, almost as much as Twilight and Bronies.

1. Bryan Cranston had lots of publicity about the fact that he voiced several of the MMPR monsters. Also see miguelnuva's post before mine. I highly doubt Breaking Bad publicity died down that much.
2. Agree to disagree.
3. Fair enough.
4. It was decently advertised.
5. Good point.
6. It's still publicity.
7. The fanbase should have made the opening weekend at least rival or surpass Godzilla 2014 opening even if there would be drop off.

Like I said, everyone on Toho Kingdom 2017 thought Power Rangers was going to make KSI bomb hard.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Hell I didn't even know who the skreeonk was Elizabeth Banks before Power Rangers tbh.

What is she? Tom Cruise levels of popularity? Relevant like Keanu Reeves? Lol.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:37 pm Hell I didn't even know who the skreeonk was Elizabeth Banks before Power Rangers tbh.

I didn't know Cranston before G14 and people started saying he was Walter White. We can go back and forth on this.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:37 pm Hell I didn't even know who the skreeonk was Elizabeth Banks before Power Rangers tbh.

She still had decent acting credits under her belt before power rangers 2017. Pitch perfect series, Lego movie, Hunger Games series, Betty Brant in the Raimi Spiderman films. Also had recurring roles on Modern Family and 30s Rock.

And here's my anecdote to counter your anecdote: I had never heard of Breaking Bad prior to Godzilla 2014 and only knew Bryan Cranston from Malcolm in the Middle up to that point.

Elizabeth Banks was a decently known actress in GA Normie movie culture prior to Power Rangers 2017. Not Tom Cruise levels, but probably about the same level as Bryan Cranston.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

BAM! Godzilla falls into Mt. Mihara, causing a tidal wave of lava to flood Oshima Island. What does Kurt Russell do? Surf on the lava, baby!!!!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

KingKaiju wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:39 pm BAM! Godzilla falls into Mt. Mihara, causing a tidal wave of lava to flood Oshima Island. What does Kurt Russell do? Surf on the lava, baby!!!!
Surfing on the lava while drinking a bottle of beer and making out with a sexy babe in a bikini while Metallica plays in the background.

\m/ (ಠ_ಠ) \m/
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:50 pm
KingKaiju wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:39 pm BAM! Godzilla falls into Mt. Mihara, causing a tidal wave of lava to flood Oshima Island. What does Kurt Russell do? Surf on the lava, baby!!!!
Surfing on the lava while drinking a bottle of beer and making out with a sexy babe in a bikini while Metallica plays in the background.

\m/ (ಠ_ಠ) \m/
:lol: He would've survived the tsunami in Honolulu.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

KingKaiju wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:03 pm
CrimsonBloodX wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:50 pm

\m/ (ಠ_ಠ) \m/
:lol: He would've survived the tsunami in Honolulu.

Kurt Russel if he saw the MUTO nest: https://youtu.be/JVgqhPqHPa4?t=94

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:03 pm

I didn't know Cranston before G14 and people started saying he was Walter White. We can go back and forth on this.
I knew Banks going as far back as James Gunn's Slither (which was also my introduction to Michael Rooker).
But the only thing I knew Cranston for, prior to G14, was his occasional stint as Dr Tim Whatley, (Jewish) Dentist To The Stars on Seinfeld.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

can't link to it put there are set photos that supposed to take place in the 50's

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:09 am can't link to it put there are set photos that supposed to take place in the 50's
this seems to add a lot of credibility to the rumor that Wyatt and Kurt Russel are playing the same characters at different ages. I wonder if we'll see Eiji Serizawa, or a rebooted version of him, in this flashback?
Last edited by GojiSquid on Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

GojiSquid wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:05 pm
BurningCoolMan wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:09 am can't link to it put there are set photos that supposed to take place in the 50's
this seems to add a lot of credibility to the rumor that Wyatt and Kurt Russel are playing the same characters at different ages. I wonder if we'll see Eiji Serizawa, or a rebooted version of him, in this flashback?
Wyatt Russell has been seen on the 1950's set

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/stat ... HnMpR9jQRw

welp glade it's not coming to HBO max now

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

WB is definitely a mess right now, and when we factor in the debacle and alleged lawsuit over the abrupt decision by WB to bring GvK and Dune to HBO Max without asking Legendary, I wouldn't be surprised if Toho and Legendary are feeling around for a different distributor. It'd be kinda neat if they went to Universal, as that would solve some problems with the King Kong rights.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

GojiSquid wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:40 pm WB is definitely a mess right now, and when we factor in the debacle and alleged lawsuit over the abrupt decision by WB to bring GvK and Dune to HBO Max without asking Legendary, I wouldn't be surprised if Toho and Legendary are feeling around for a different distributor. It'd be kinda neat if they went to Universal, as that would solve some problems with the King Kong rights.
Legendary tried working with Universal, but it ended in failure.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm
GojiSquid wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:40 pm WB is definitely a mess right now, and when we factor in the debacle and alleged lawsuit over the abrupt decision by WB to bring GvK and Dune to HBO Max without asking Legendary, I wouldn't be surprised if Toho and Legendary are feeling around for a different distributor. It'd be kinda neat if they went to Universal, as that would solve some problems with the King Kong rights.
One step closer to seeing the Disney logo before Godzilla.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:13 pm
Because Legendary not Universal.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:26 pm One step closer to seeing the Disney logo before Godzilla.
But then Disney scraps the MonsterVerse and just decides to go for a full blown live-action version of Marvel Godzilla going up against the Avengers. Design included!

Real talk though, and maybe this is a stupid question; but can Toho not distribute the MV by themselves? They already do it in Japan, but I'm guessing that copyright laws might stop them from doing it worldwide?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!