Monster Discussion: Skullcrawlers

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Discussion: Skullcrawlers

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Assist said in the title what are your thoughts on the skull crawlers IMO they are a pretty great addition to Kongs’s new roster of enemies

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Discussion: Skullcrawlers

Post by Gojira1604 »

Underrated if they're just now getting a list. I like they're place now as sorta canon fodder (for Kong & Mechagodzilla). They have a great design and had amazing scenes. Gross, scary and cool. Kind of like the Heisei Gyaos but a bit better I'd say. The crawlers like the MUTOs were perfect new rivals to their classic adversary.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Way cooler than just a T. rex for the fourth time. I'd love to see the SkullCrawlers rise up and take over a city and the military has to do with it. Godzilla and Kong would have bigger fish to fry at the time in this scenario

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

I really enjoyed them, Ramarak was a worthy foe that would have killed young Kong if not for human intervention. If the one in Hong Kong wasn't a complete idiot who thought chasing humans when a giant murderbot was bearing down on him was a good idea we might have got a decent little fight then too. He was absolutely massive, and in such a tight confined space MG wouldn't have had room to manuever. If he could have gotten looped around on his back out of laser range it might have been interesting for a minute or two at least.
Last edited by Relair on Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Eh, they're not one of my favorites. Aside from the boneyard scene, their potential was squandered in almost every scene they were in.

– Unceremoniously introduced by an exposition dump.
- The big one appears and ignores an unconscious Kong outright to go after humans all morning.
- When the big one does fight Kong, Kong kicks its ass until human intervention in the form of a beached ship allows the big one to get the upper hand. How it supposedly killed Kong's larger parents in the past, we'll never know.
- When they're reintroduced, it's as fodder for a Mechagodzilla that can't stay online for more than twenty seconds at a time.

They're ultimately a victim of Skull Island's poor story structure. The Mutos were infinitely more memorable villains.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Easily the best and most creative enemy Kong has ever gotten. I do like how they along with the MUTO show a willingness to make new villains to fight rather than just only adapt Toho classics. Strikes a nice balance.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I actually like them in their simplicity. I like how they're basically like the Hyper Gyaos in Gamera 3. They may not be much of a threat to a fully grown Kong alone but if left unchecked could completely overrun the planet and overpower far stronger monsters through sheer numbers.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983