What if Just one Director Directed the Whole Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

What if Just one Director Directed the Whole Monsterverse?

Post by Gojira1604 »

What if Gareth Edwards directed every Monsterverse film? Or Michael Dougherty? They're the two main directors I want to discuss in this scenario as they've got the most "unique" styles. Gareth you could sum up with the word "restraint" & Dougherty with "fan". So how would their own Kaiju cinematic universe look like? For a bonus- feel free discuss how other directors would handle the same task of making these 4 whole monster movies. It can be anyone, from Hideaki Anno to JJ Abrams to Guillermo del Toro to Rolland Emmerich, etc.
Only rule I guess is each movie has to keep it's basic premise. Such as:
2014: Godzilla reboot
Skull Island: King Kong reboot to set up Godzilla crossover.
Godzilla 2: Godzilla sequel featuring Mothra, Rodan & Ghidorah.
Godzilla Vs Kong: Godzilla Vs King Kong.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: What if Just one Director Directed the Whole Monsterverse?

Post by Vakanai »

If it is Edwards it would easily have been the best outcome in my opinion - 2014 was the only Godzilla MV movie I consider legitimately good.
If it is Dougherty, it wouldn't be ideal but it'd have been alright I guess.
Wingard just no. I'd have no interest in that.

I'd have liked to seen a Christopher Nolan Godzilla movie.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:02 pmI'd have liked to seen a Christopher Nolan Godzilla movie.
Oh god no. Probably the most overrated director working today.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I've always wondered how Gareth would describe the giant moth and three headed dragon in his realistic, grounded tone. How would he refine their designs? Dougherty really has done well about Rodan and Ghidorah but I wasn't fully satisfied with Mothra. For Ghidorah, Gareth might have changed his origin into something much similar to real life other than a fantasy dragon. Or, on the contrary, he might have described Ghidorah as a totally alien creature that doesn't really look like a dragon
(like this: https://www.deviantart.com/kenbarthelme ... -802103170)

I don't hate KotM but I prefer G14's style. I think I would have enjoyed Gareth version of KotM.

For KSI, I don't think there would've been big differences. Maybe less humor. Vogt roberts' KSI was already pretty much grounded.

For GvK, Mechagodzilla would've been cut out LOL

To me, GvK's Hong Kong battles looked little cartoonish in some moments.(I prefer Tasman bay sequence) Wingard made pretty much speedy action scenes. I wonder how Gareth can describe this massive duel in his serious vibe.

Added in 2 minutes 31 seconds:
+ I'm not saying I like that Ghidorah design. It's just an example of Ghidorah not being a typical dragon.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The issue with the Monsterverse I personally think it still needs to find it's footing. Right now each director is seeing what did and didn't work in the previous films and trying something a little different.

Edwards had the right idea but his execution did not live up to its hype. The focus on the human drama was not strong enough to substitute the lack of monster action and cut-a-ways.

Dougherty tried to balance both but it ended up becoming bloated, with to many characters, side plots, that eventually ended up going nowhere or left unexplained.

Wingard literally dropped all the human drama, outside of Madison (of which I can't even recall what she did in GVK, and the deaf girl) I don't remember or care for any other character in that film. Character development is basically non-existent.

The best thing to come out of GVK it shows the monsters themselves can now be main characters. On the negative side it dropped any grounded realistic tone that Edwards started with an went full blown SyFy/Fantasy especially with how Hollow Earth was handled.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:08 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:02 pmI'd have liked to seen a Christopher Nolan Godzilla movie.
Oh god no. Probably the most overrated director working today.
To each their own - he's not the greatest film maker of all time, but I've enjoyed his movies that I've seen, he's far from the worst director, and my personal opinion he's better than at least 2/3rds of the MV Godzilla directors.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Vogt-Roberts would've been the best option tbh
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

How good would Zack Snyder be for the MonsterVerse?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:20 pm How good would Zack Snyder be for the MonsterVerse?
I think he’d be perfect for the MV. Incredibly badass action with a passable story is all I need when it comes to the G-Man.

Yes, my standards are as low as it sounds.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:20 pm How good would Zack Snyder be for the MonsterVerse?
I have not enjoyed a single movie Snyder has made so uh.. let's not.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

There's definitely some ups and downs to it. Wingard is probably the most experiences director of the four, with Dougherty coming in second. But I think Vogt-Roberts and Edwards could arguably me the more talented two. There's just so many factors that go into it. How much did Thomas Tull having to leave affect the future of the monsterverse, how good is Legendary at knowing when to step in or step back and let the directors do their thing. There's also the potential for burnout. I think Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy turned out as good as it did, partially because he was able to step away and breathe. Of course, that's added on top of the fact that, at this moment, he's might possibly be the best director in the industry. So, definitely open to the idea.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Gareth would have definitely killed Ghidorah in a different way. Maybe by having Godzilla impale him with his dorsal spines, and gut him?

There’d definitely have been more blood.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Gareth likely would have done a closer remake of GTTHM over done Godzilla vs Rodan vs Mothra and saved Ghidorah for Godzilla vs Kong.

Godzilla likely would not have bulldozed Kong since he was powered up my Wingard and Mike D.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

An intriguing question and one that I have pondered a lot.

First, let me push back against the conventional wisdom that this series’ lack of a consistent tone is a bad thing. I actually think that it is a positive attribute. You have a serious grounded film. An colorful island movie monster mash. A Godzilla fan fic film (I actually mean that in a positive way) and finally, the slightly Michael Bay-ian but broadly appealing to the general audience film that is GvK.

Through the MV, we got a variety of different flavors and I really like that. It’s basically what the Millennium series set out to be but this time, with an established shared universe and some reoccurring characters.

That being said, I get the appeal of a consistent tone and vision ala the Heisei Gamera trilogy.

I would have liked to have seen Gareth at the helm of a whole trilogy. I think his grounded approach, combined with better scripts, could have given us something to rival the similarly grounded new Planet of the Apes trilogy.

However, once the concept of Kong having to fight Godzilla became established, I think it’s incredibly hard to keep that sort of tonal consistency. It’s just more of an apparently B Movie, cartoonish concept.

Ultimately, I think that’s what the MV had to be what it was once Legendary decided it wanted to work towards GvK.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I'd keep Christy Nolan & Zacky Synder far away from the MV, no no.

As I've said before I'm not a big fan of the MV but if KOTM was course corrected then I would have no problem watching these all in a row for dumb fun. For my pick it'd be Vogt-Roberts.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm I'd keep Christy Nolan & Zacky Synder far away from the MV, no no.
Nolan would pen an overwritten script where all the themes are clumsily spelled out through dialogue, but it would probably still be entertaining. Snyder would try the same thing, but fail on every level.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Well with Nolan you could probably only hear about half of the dialogue because of a bad sound mix…

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

king_ghidorah wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:01 am However, once the concept of Kong having to fight Godzilla became established, I think it’s incredibly hard to keep that sort of tonal consistency. It’s just more of an apparently B Movie, cartoonish concept.
I disagree with that very strongly - and the fact that our only opportunity to have it proved otherwise was squandered and we'll never seen that concept done seriously...
Well, others may cheer over it, but I wish I had gotten 1 Godzilla vs King Kong movie that didn't think the concept was inherently supposed to be stupid. But it just wasn't meant to be. And that sucks for me.

Added in 3 minutes 25 seconds:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm I'd keep Christy Nolan & Zacky Synder far away from the MV, no no.

As I've said before I'm not a big fan of the MV but if KOTM was course corrected then I would have no problem watching these all in a row for dumb fun. For my pick it'd be Vogt-Roberts.
Nolan made some damn great movies. Whatever his faults are, they don't interfere with how fun his films are to watch - plus they're fun without being dumb.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I've never seen a fun Nolan film, well directed and good films but not fun.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image