What if: The MonsterVerse being cancelled

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BasedGFan
Ronin

What if: The MonsterVerse being cancelled

Post by BasedGFan »

What would you do? Discuss.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Re: What if: The MonsterVerse being cancelled

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I would go on with my life, I imagine.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Sucks pretty hard all things considered, but i feel as if i would move on. Still a lot of stuff Toho would give us regardless and another American Godzilla reboot and another King Kong movie would probably happen eventually.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I would be depressed. I wouldn't want it to end so soon. This shared universe has so much potential to be bigger than it already is.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

“Well that sucks”

And then move on
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Fiender
GPN Volunteer

Post by Fiender »

I'd feel very neutral, personally. I haven't been excited for the 'next monsterverse movie' since KOTM 2019, even though I liked it more than most people seemed to. A lack of Godzilla content would suck but right now there aren't any new Godzilla movies directly rumored (unlike Son of Kong is for Kong), and I really just want some good Godzilla stories which... we aren't getting from the Monsterverse, imo.
I was that kid who made bad Godzilla games in RPG Maker and complained when no one paid attention to them :D

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd be livid. Considering it has rejuvenated the franchise worldwide.

What else would we get? 6 more animes and 1 film every 15 years?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:21 pm I'd be livid. Considering it has rejuvenated the franchise worldwide.

And they all focus on talking head mouthpieces discussing anything but the monsters for 95% of the runtime
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:43 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:21 pm I'd be livid. Considering it has rejuvenated the franchise worldwide.

And they all focus on talking head mouthpieces discussing anything but the monsters for 95% of the runtime
Exactly!

I know we'll have quite a few users who disagree here, but the difference between apocalypse movies and kaiju films, are the personifications of these catastrophic events at the forefront.

The genre has grown to where these personifications are full blown characters, and have fanbases.

Yet what we're seeing is akin to if a Captain America film were about government officials discussing freedom and methods of freedom for 2 hours, and then you get one scene of some guy in a really cool costume throw a shield, and then credits roll.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 pm the difference between apocalypse movies and kaiju films, are the personifications of these catastrophic events at the forefront.
What does this mean?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:54 pm I would go on with my life, I imagine.
:lol: :lol:

This is the best and only real response.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:42 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 pm the difference between apocalypse movies and kaiju films, are the personifications of these catastrophic events at the forefront.
What does this mean?
Like, the natural disasters *are* the characters.

They're catastrophic events, personified.

That's what I am a fan of. When you take that away from the forefront, it becomes just another sci-fi apocalypse, and loses its kaiju identity.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 pm Yet what we're seeing is akin to if a Captain America film were about government officials discussing freedom and methods of freedom for 2 hours, and then you get one scene of some guy in a really cool costume throw a shield, and then credits roll.
That’s an incredibly apt comparison, mind if I use it as my signature?

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pmLike, the natural disasters *are* the characters.

That's what I am a fan of. When you take that away from the forefront, it becomes just another sci-fi apocalypse, and loses its kaiju identity.
So a movie needs monsters with anthropomorphic traits to be considered a true kaiju film?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:02 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 pm Yet what we're seeing is akin to if a Captain America film were about government officials discussing freedom and methods of freedom for 2 hours, and then you get one scene of some guy in a really cool costume throw a shield, and then credits roll.
That’s an incredibly apt comparison, mind if I use it as my signature?
Thanks lol, go for it bro!

Added in 1 minute 12 seconds:
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:12 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pmLike, the natural disasters *are* the characters.

So a movie needs monsters with anthropomorphic traits to be considered a true kaiju film?
A kaiju film needs it's catastrophic epicenter to be representative of the monster at hand. Whatever form that monster might be in.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Absolutely Nothing, Godzilla would survive and Toho would bring him back. An eventually Godzilla would get another American Reboot within 10 to 15 years since studios are getting so desperate for steady/established IP's to compete with other studio's.

In the meantime we also have The MEG 2, Jurassic World: Dominion, Scream 5, Halloween Kills, Terrifier 2, a possible IT prequel, a proper Cloverfield sequel, Chucky TV series an many other films that can hold us over outside of Marvel and DC.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Indifferent honestly after my massive disappointment with KOTM I was ready to abandon the MonsterVerse until Godzilla vs Kong which while not a perfect film by any means was probably the only film besides K:SI to really embrace that people wanted to see kaiju fights on the big screen and hell they managed to do it twice between the ocean battle and Hong Kong which was one of the main reasons why KOTM was so disappointing and it still boogles my mind why Dougherty thought it was a good idea to mostly focus on a human perspective while Godzilla, King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra are having what should've been the crown jewel of MonsterVerse battle but instead just the same find Madison although I'll admit her scenes during the final battle are the only human scenes I actually loved. This is a long post for such a simple question but yeah I would be indifferent because I still think the movies need vast improvements for me to get excited about them other then being kaiju films.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I've expected for years now that GvK would be the end of the Monsterverse, at least as a Godzilla film series, so I'm prepared for that possibility. GvK was a massive disappointment for me, anyway, which has reduced my interest in the MV overall. Not to zero, by any means, I'll still be excited if another film is announced, but it's not where it was. I'm very interested in the possibility of a new Toho ongoing series, though, and the end of Godzilla's MV run would presumably pave the way for said hypothetical series to be made.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I actually hope it is.
The whole MonsterVerse has been such a mess as it passes from director to director with no clear idea on what to really do or where to take the franchise.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:56 pm Like, the natural disasters *are* the characters.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, more than a few kaiju movies are definitely not this.

Edit: After re-reading the discussion I think I was misunderstanding you. My bad.

Anyway, to OP's question: I wouldn't care.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.