Monster Discussion: Godzilla (MonsterVerse)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Monster Discussion: Godzilla (MonsterVerse)

Post by Jermobooka »

Saw these types of threads in other forums, so why not have one here too?

Suffice to say, MV Goji has become an iconic version of G and a definite fan favorite. I mean, why wouldn’t he be? He’s perfect in every way! :)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Monster Discussion: Godzilla (MonsterVerse)

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Tied with heisei for my favorite incarnation
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Ever since Godzilla (2014) came out I’ve been a huge fan of this incarnation. With each new movie things about him only gotten better, he showed more of his personality with each new movie and his current design GVK (2021) is so perfect and fits the universe that he in.
Not only that his fighting style is memorable too. He does a occasionally does his beam but he doesn’t spam it. He’s seems more in the melee section With some beams here and there, even though in GVK he’s sort of went a little spams with his team but it doesn’t stop doing Melee attack heck if he didn’t do his beam span at the first fight in Hong Kong and Maily attack with his claws he would’ve definitely tear Kong apart as he did in the second round. It’s no wonder that this incarnation is a fan favorite.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

On a personal level, my absolute favorite version of the character. Has all the traits of Godzilla I come to like and I feel it as a character has only gotten stronger over the course of the films. With Godzilla vs. Kong in particular cementing his status as my fav version of the King.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

He may not be my 100% absolute favorite incarnation of the character ever, but I still love the sh*t outta the savage, cranky old bastard that is Legendary's Godzilla.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Meh, I’ve slightly warmed up to him. Beats any Godzilla without personality. I still have Heisei, Showa and Shin (contradictory, I know) above him.
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

He's perfection.

He's also this decades' defining Godzilla.

60s/70s had Showa
80s/90s had Heisei
00/04 had Millennium
14/- has Legendary

I don't see Reiwa making the same mark because there's no continuity there.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

This version is pretty much my favorite incarnation of all time for Godzilla. The ancient guardian aesthetic is already a trope I’m a huge sucker for, but this version feels full of personality too! He’s grizzled and pissed, yet has his moments where he gets smug or surprised mid battle. His design is also super solid too, looking fierce, powerful, and fitting to his monstrous size. It’s simple, but it works. And I’d personally love to see more of this version!
Last edited by Dynomy-DX on Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This guy is the go-to modern Godzilla for me. Anyways, anyone care to speculate where he lies in the evolutionary tree? I think he is some kind of creature within the greater Crocodile/Alligator lineage.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:45 pm This guy is the go-to modern Godzilla for me. Anyways, anyone care to speculate where he lies in the evolutionary tree? I think he is some kind of creature within the greater Crocodile/Alligator lineage.
I believe him to be a… Godzilla.
For Emperor and Empire!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

For me, he's a pretty solid Godzilla. I like his personality, the attitude, and stoicism (heh, applied in a Godzilla sort of way).
I started to appreciate him a lot more in GvK, mainly because we got to see him do some destruction and rain pain down on the military - I just gotta see a Godzilla get pissed at us! This Godzilla smiling and dropping down to all fours was nothing sort of amazing, I'm always happy to see Godzilla go batshit with a goofy move.

Now, the only thing holding him back for me is his origin, it's always bugged me how nonchalant he is about being hit by atomic bombs. We've seen him be hit what, three times on film in the MV? I think any Japanese Godzilla would punish us pretty harshly for doing such a thing. I think that's why I prefer his character in GvK more than the previous two, as brief as his wrath is. Godzilla's relation to the atomic bombs in the MV I chalk up to being a big cultural difference compared to his Japanese counterparts.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Seems pretty logical AmeriGoji wouldn't wanna get into any debated about American nuclear weapons.

Jokes aside, I actually dig MV Godzilla, especially in '14. Something about the big sigh he lets out after he wakes up just speaks to me 😅
But then seeing Godzilla crawl on all fours and go savage on Kong was great too. The design isn't quite how I would have done Godzilla, but I figure it's about the best Hollywood could possibly come up with, and it's really grown on me.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:15 pm He’s perfect in every way! :)
He’s a pretty good take on the Big G but perfect? Heck naw.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Kinda amazing how an American take on a Japanese character became so popular. I mean, at this point DougheGoji’s design is in the upper echelons of Godzilla designs.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I don't know why I JUST realized this now, but I think I understand why I loved Godzilla's portrayal in GvK and his progression in The Monsterverse in general. My hope, throughout these films, was that Godzilla would have a Heisei Gamera-like evolution from film to film. And, while I don't think these films are as good as the Heisei Gamera Trilogy, I do think that we got that, to an extent. In the first two films, while Godzilla's priority isn't to protect humans or save them, he generally seems to try his best to not intentionally kill anyone (except for smashing through the bridge when he was getting shot at). In KOTM, he even seems to actively work with humans to stop Ghidorah. Gamera clearly is more conscious about helping people, even in Gamera 3. However, in G3, he gives much less of a shit. Gamera is willing to blow up Shinjuku and kill thousands of people to rid of Gyaos, and he'll even blast through a building of people, point blank, to ensure that Gyaos is taken care of. The Earth doesn't need humans to survive, but the humans need Earth. Godzilla, by the time GvK comes around, seems to give a lot less of a shit about what happens with peopple, he'll smash through ships, tear through Hong Kong, and blow people away to stop Kong and Ghidorah/MG, in order to keep the balance. That, and he's game as FUCK!!! Dude does not step down from a challenge.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

He's a very good Godzilla!
Last edited by Rando Yaguchi on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

KingKaiju wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:51 pm I don't know why I JUST realized this now, but I think I understand why I loved Godzilla's portrayal in GvK and his progression in The Monsterverse in general. My hope, throughout these films, was that Godzilla would have a Heisei Gamera-like evolution from film to film. And, while I don't think these films are as good as the Heisei Gamera Trilogy, I do think that we got that, to an extent...

... Gamera clearly is more conscious about helping people, even in Gamera 3. However, in G3, he gives much less of a poop. Gamera is willing to blow up Shinjuku and kill thousands of people to rid of Gyaos, and he'll even blast through a building of people, point blank, to ensure that Gyaos is taken care of...
I like your theory.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:34 pm Tied with heisei for my favorite incarnation
Same here, though I’d add GvMG/Tokyo SOS Goji to that list, too.
Last edited by Legendary Gojira on Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:42 pmHe does a occasionally does his beam but he doesn’t spam it.
Kong would tell you otherwise :lol:
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This guy is the go-to modern Godzilla for me.