The MonsterVerse is continuing according to Max Borenstein

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: The MonsterVerse is continuing according to Max Borenstein

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:15 pm
Terasawa wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:10 pm "The plot was easy to follow" is not the same thing as "poorly written film," though.
Poorly written is subjective.
I didn't say it wasn't.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:15 pmPoorly written is subjective.
Not entirely.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:58 pm Godzilla vs Kong is the only one people would be justified in saying through away plot for spectacle.
That's what I said though? The first three had effort in the storytelling, even if it didn't always come out the best (KotM). But GvK? Oof...

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:10 pm "The plot was easy to follow" is not the same thing as "poorly written film," though.
This is true. But not a defense I would make for the latest MV flick.

Added in 4 minutes 9 seconds:
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:02 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:15 pmPoorly written is subjective.
Not entirely.
Definitely not entirely. I've...read things. Objectively poorly written things...horrible things...the grammatical errors, the typos, the incoherent plots and romantic pairings...good god man the incoherent crack pairings!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I think we can all agree that the MonsterVerse needs new and fresh writers and is coming from someone who actually enjoyed Godzilla vs Kong and loved Jia because she didn't have dialogue to bring her down like the others.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

We may find out something this week. WB presentation at Cinemacon is Tuesday evening. Will probably focus on the DC films and maybe Dune but might get a tidbit on the continuance of the MV either film or HBOMAX show. I don’t have my hopes up but it’s a possibility.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Maybe, but the way movies are getting delayed and pushed back we’ll have a clog full of movies for the next 2-3 years. If they plan on getting another out they better announce it soon to lock in that date and begin filming… because boys and gals… movies being talked about for the last 5 years still are not out yet. It’s wild.

They could always go the hbo Max way as well
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Cookson wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:02 pm Maybe, but the way movies are getting delayed and pushed back we’ll have a clog full of movies for the next 2-3 years. If they plan on getting another out they better announce it soon to lock in that date and begin filming… because boys and gals… movies being talked about for the last 5 years still are not out yet. It’s wild.

Going for a purely HBO Max release is very likely considering the way everything is going.

GvK came out at just about the best possible time, the short blip where it looked like the box office might recover and theaters may survive after all. Now it looks like that period was simply a mirage and that theaters, at least in North America, are doomed after all.

Jacaijuzilladeava
Ronin

Post by Jacaijuzilladeava »

I just want a Destroy all Monsters film.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Pkmatrix wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:17 am
Cookson wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:02 pm Maybe, but the way movies are getting delayed and pushed back we’ll have a clog full of movies for the next 2-3 years. If they plan on getting another out they better announce it soon to lock in that date and begin filming… because boys and gals… movies being talked about for the last 5 years still are not out yet. It’s wild.

Going for a purely HBO Max release is very likely considering the way everything is going.

GvK came out at just about the best possible time, the short blip where it looked like the box office might recover and theaters may survive after all. Now it looks like that period was simply a mirage and that theaters, at least in North America, are doomed after all.
A small scale show/mini-series I could see, but I don't think an HBO Max MV film is likely - streaming can't really justify the expense of that level of special effects. Needs a theatrical release otherwise the effects need to come down a lot in quality, screentime, and/or scope. They really need a theatrical release to justify such a budget.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Cookson wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:02 pmIf they plan on getting another out they better announce it soon to lock in that date and begin filming…
That's a great point, and Legendary and Toho still need to arrive at a new licensing agreement (and on top of that, Legendary is up for sale IIRC) before any production dates can be set. I doubt we will see a new MV Godzilla movie before 2027.
Last edited by G1985 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

G1985 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:33 am
Cookson wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:02 pmIf they plan on getting another out they better announce it soon to lock in that date and begin filming…
That's a great point, and Legendary and Toho still need to arrive at a new licensing agreement (and on top of that, Legendary is up for sale IIRC) before any production dates can be set. I doubt we will see a new MV Godzilla movie before 2027.
Their exploring a sale or merger and even if it happens they can still work on the MV.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:43 am
Their exploring a sale or merger and even if it happens they can still work on the MV.
I can see it now, "Legendary Toho Pictures Presents: Godzilla 4"
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

...don't. Don't you dare. Don't you dare get my hopes up. :)

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

No renewing the license needed. Legendary has the license indefinitely as long as they keep making films.

https://variety.com/2019/film/asia/japa ... 92294/amp/

Also, waiting til 2027 for another installment would be dumb. GvK was a hit. Strike while the iron is hot & get one out around 2023-2024 or they risk having another KotM situation.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

My friend who is more in to Hollywood and how business works there told me Godzilla likely got renewed already since we haven't heard anything yet. They then mentioned remember how we knew Spiderman was done at Disney until Sony and Disney renegotiated.

The MV is almost like free money for Toho, the only they are missing out on that likely would have been changed in a new contract is the ability to make a live action film if they want.

My friend said they really feel like we'll have two Godzilla live action series going on eventually with Toho and Legendary simply making sure the movies co exist.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

dillonking55 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:58 pm
No renewing the license needed. Legendary has the license indefinitely as long as they keep making films.

...gosh darn it Toho, that's a terrible deal. Can't make your own movies while Legendary's doing them and can't even renegotiate the deal ever? Guess I'll be lucky if I get 1 live action Toho film per decade.

Added in 2 minutes 20 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:11 pm My friend said they really feel like we'll have two Godzilla live action series going on eventually with Toho and Legendary simply making sure the movies co exist.
I wish, but I doubt it. If Legendary doesn't need to redo the deal as long as they keep making films, why would they make room for Toho to do their own films?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:43 pm

...gosh darn it Toho, that's a terrible deal. Can't make your own movies while Legendary's doing them and can't even renegotiate the deal ever? Guess I'll be lucky if I get 1 live action Toho film per decade.

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:11 pm My friend said they really feel like we'll have two Godzilla live action series going on eventually with Toho and Legendary simply making sure the movies co exist.
I wish, but I doubt it. If Legendary doesn't need to redo the deal as long as they keep making films, why would they make room for Toho to do their own films?
1. That is a great deal for Toho. The MV is free money for them and while Shin did much better in Japan Toho had to work for it. Aucks for fans that like Rewia Godzilla but not for Toho themselves.

2. I don't believe for a second Toho can't many any films period. They could be happy exploring anime but if Toho wants their baby their is no way they trusted Legendary enough to block themselves off completely. I fully believe Toho is doing something in 2024 even if we end up with two Godzilla films that year.

My money is on Kong is the next MV film, Toho will have a Godzilla film for the 70th anniversary.

Kong 2023
Toho Godzilla 2024
MV Godzilla 2024/5
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:11 pm

1. That is a great deal for Toho. The MV is free money for them and while Shin did much better in Japan Toho had to work for it. Aucks for fans that like Rewia Godzilla but not for Toho themselves.

2. I don't believe for a second Toho can't many any films period. They could be happy exploring anime but if Toho wants their baby their is no way they trusted Legendary enough to block themselves off completely. I fully believe Toho is doing something in 2024 even if we end up with two Godzilla films that year.

My money is on Kong is the next MV film, Toho will have a Godzilla film for the 70th anniversary.

Kong 2023
Toho Godzilla 2024
MV Godzilla 2024/5
1. Disagree. A good deal would've allowed them to still make their own movies when they want, there's no way around that.

2. They made the deal after having not done a Godzilla film for a decade. I can believe the executives at that time were foolish enough to not see the value in the ip and not thinking of when they might want to make Goji movies again. I can totally see them being unable to make a movie when they want because of Legendary's plans, anniversaries be damned.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:28 pm

Kong 2023
Toho Godzilla 2024
MV Godzilla 2024/5
1. Disagree. A good deal would've allowed them to still make their own movies when they want, there's no way around that.

2. They made the deal after having not done a Godzilla film for a decade. I can believe the executives at that time were foolish enough to not see the value in the ip and not thinking of when they might want to make Goji movies again. I can totally see them being unable to make a movie when they want because of Legendary's plans, anniversaries be damned.
They made Shin when they wanted and considering they talked about a friendly rivalry I doubt Legendary blocked them out. At worst I could see it being let us make a Gojira movie and we'll let you use Gigan, Angurius or Destroyah for a MV film.

I doubt Toho is completely out the love action game kf they wanted.

This franchise needs more entires lime Shin Godzilla as we do the kotm and GvsK.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:32 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:28 pm

Kong 2023
Toho Godzilla 2024
MV Godzilla 2024/5

They made Shin when they wanted and considering they talked about a friendly rivalry I doubt Legendary blocked them out. At worst I could see it being let us make a Gojira movie and we'll let you use Gigan, Angurius or Destroyah for a MV film.

I doubt Toho is completely out the love action game kf they wanted.

This franchise needs more entires lime Shin Godzilla as we do the kotm and GvsK.
Except that they didn't - they made Shin because there was a 5 year window between 2014 and KotM where Legendary wasn't working on it so Toho had an opportunity. Basically to get another Toho live action Godzilla film we'd need another such long lull period from Legendary. And I honestly don't see that happening,