Godzilla Was Treated Like Trash In Godzilla vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Was Treated Like Trash In Godzilla vs Kong

Post by Moogabunga »

To have his character sacrificed for the sake of a dumba*s monkey is...beyond asinine. They center the majority of the story around Kong, even though Godzilla's name is in the title (even first). It should be 50-50 in a VS movie, not 80-20. And no I don't give a damn about the whole "Godzilla already has 2 movies, Kong only has 1" crap people spew. Fine, then either make a 2nd Kong movie or don't give Godzilla a 2nd one and not Kong - problem solved. Don't use the big crossover film to screw over one of the combatants in the freakin' title. In conjunction, they do literally nothing with him earning the title "King of the Monsters" and being the Alpha Titan. Instead, they save all of that for Dominion, something that let's be real here, barely anyone is ever going to read.

They then have Godzilla go through 3 battles, all of which have significant problems. The ocean battle is laughable. First of all, Godzilla should be a beast underwater, unconquerable (especially to something non-aquatic) Is he unconquerable in this though? No. Even though Kong is sedated, when they first meet, Kong has no problem holding back Godzilla, gives a headbutt and kicks him away (which apparently is pretty effective considering Godzilla doesn't immediately go to grab Kong while he's halfway hanging onto the boat, other half in the water). Then the next time they collide again underwater, Godzilla essentially gets a surprise attack and yet Kong basically overpowers him, bites him, and kicks him in the face. What? A Godzilla that would have killed Ghidorah underwater had humans not interfered. A Godzilla that has fought and killed other Titans underwater. Yet he struggles against a terrestrial monkey? Why does the belief or notion that Godzilla is dangerous underwater even exist after this movie? Because Godzilla can breathe underwater? I mean according to this movie, that is the only advantage Godzilla has over Kong underwater. F*ckin dumb.

Then comes Hong Kong. People really like the choreography of this fight? I have to ask...why? First of all, a big problem with it is one that exists in a ton of fan made animations - they have Godzilla spam his atomic breath early as hell and often. I DESPISE this crap, especially when it's against a monster that has no beam of their own. It does nothing but make Godzilla look weak, like he needs his breath to win - hate it. And what is the Hong Kong Battle mostly? Godzilla spamming his atomic breath...how wonderful. And what does Godzilla get in "Round 2" in terms of offensive moves? A bite and a shove of Kong into the water. Oh wow. And then Godzilla fires his atomic breath and Kong runs away from it for LITERALLY over half of "Round 2". Incredible. "Hey, we have the 2 most famous movie monsters in history battling it out. How should we set up the fight? We should have Godzilla do nothing but spam his atomic breath and have Kong run away from it for the majority of the battle! That's amazing!" Geniuses. And as a more nitpicky thing, the later roar off between the two, while cool in theory, is botched because of piss poor sound editing.

Then we have the MechaGodzilla battle. Jesus. F-ing. Christ. Listen we all knew this was gonna have a set of events where Godzilla gets his butt kicked and Kong makes the save. I KNEW that was coming. Everyone knew that was coming. And that's OK. What I didn't know was coming was that Godzilla was gonna be practically useless. I mean, holy hell. He gets like ZERO offensive moves in that fight. Oh wait, I'm sorry. He holds MechaGodzilla's arm and stretches it out like he's trying to crack it for MechaG. That's something, I guess. You have Godzilla get beat down completely, but give him zero chance at redemption, zero chance at contributing to the battle. You could have had the exact same events play out up until Kong makes the save and then have it be an actual team up. Have the fight be a little longer, have a sequence where Godzilla starts coming back but Mecha G puts him down again and Kong still gets the kill. Let him do SOMETHING. Holy balls. Yes, MechaGodzilla pretty much always beats down Godzilla in the franchise, but there has NEVER been a fight where Godzilla does...nothing. Just imagine the original 'Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla' movie from 1974, and instead of fight we actually got, they choreographed it in a way where Godzilla gets completely beat down, and they have King Caesar be the one to look dominant and kills MechaG. That'd be dumb as hell. And so is this. What makes this even worse is the awkward, weird dynamic they create. They very CLEARLY designed this movie with the intention of trying to get as much of the audience to cheer for Kong, which is just weird to me. Maybe if this film was a one off or this was in a series where Godzilla has been antagonistic the entire time, it'd be OK. But we're not talking about that. We're talking about a series in which Godzilla was always meant to be seen as heroic, even in 2014 (although to a lesser extent). We're talking about a series that establishes Godzilla has an ancient relationship with humanity. A Godzilla that just fought side by side with Monarch/military. Most importantly, a Godzilla that has saved the world, not once, but twice. Meanwhile, Kong is an isolated monkey.It just doesn't work at all. But they set up Godzilla as the antagonist regardless...and then have him beat Kong as an antagonist, and then have him get him demolished. After choosing to try desperately to get people to cheer for Kong, you are now putting Godzilla in a position where a lot of your audience is happy to see him being beat down...To me, that is simply wrong.

There's plenty more to talk about like giving Godzilla the worst human story, having previous main characters essentially undo their entire arc from the previous movie and being useless (Mark Russell), among others but I'm tired of typing lol. Anywho, GvK shouldn't exist. That is all.
Last edited by Moogabunga on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Godzilla Was Treated Like Trash In Godzilla vs Kong

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Not this shit again
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla Was Treated Like Trash In Godzilla vs Kong

Post by UltramanGoji »

We’re not doing this again.