I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by ultrazilla »

Easily the best incarnation of Godzilla to me, the dude actually has lore, character, personality, purpose and continuation now, not to mention being an integral part of the bigger picture. What MV has done is making me care for the character more and eager to dive into more about the world of Godzilla. We've only just scratched the surface of MV Godzilla, there's a lot that could be told in the hands of different directors and creative minds to keep us feeling fresh. Also yeah, the design is second to none, sorry it's the truth.

Breakdown
Keizer

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Breakdown »

Denis wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:24 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:41 pm Monsterverse Godzilla is a very generic version of the character that brings almost nothing new to the table aside from updated FX. A cool Godzilla, just by the virtue of being a hybrid of previous Godzillas, but I don't see anything particularly special about him.

Shin's design and lack of physical expression was really off-putting to me at first (to the point where I didn't even watch the movie until late 2019), but it totally worked for that film. I haven't seen any of the anime stuff yet, but I can see why a lumbering, personality-less Godzilla could get old after a while.

What I want is a truly scary, expressive Godzilla - one that makes you poop your pants everytime he's on-screen.
I mean yeah, Shin lacks any physical expression, but the problem is Toho is reusing it recently, which is already getting old.
Toho has a habit of sticking to things that work. The Heisei films were successful, so that's why the Heisei Godzilla appears in almost all merchandise. It's basically become the "default" Godzilla. Shin was successful, so now all Godzillas copy that template by being immobile, lifeless obstacles. Recently it's been to their detriment. I get that they want to cash in on popularity, but repeating the same thing again and again gets boring really fast.

Unfortunately these kinds of Godzilla appear to be popular, so it's unlikely that Toho is gonna stop any time soon.
Last edited by Breakdown on Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Toho has done the “beam spamming emotionless monolith” 3 times in a row now. It’s gotten old really fast.

Legendary Godzilla actually has character and personality, so I’ll be sticking with him for now.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:22 am Toho has done the “beam spamming emotionless monolith” 3 times in a row now. It’s gotten old really fast.

Legendary Godzilla actually has character and personality, so I’ll be sticking with him for now.
See this man's signature. He has a good opinion.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:36 am Honestly sort of obnoxious how any thread discussing the monster-verse, or whatever is going on in SP, has to devolve into hissy fits of the other side going “no-u!”.
This is really the worst part of this fandom (and this board), and it's nothing new. It was the same way long before the MV, only the "factions" today have changed. Well... and there's more trolling and shit posting today as well. It's all stupid -- just like what you like and don't be an asshole about it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:24 pm I'm going to go ahead and dispute the assertion that the zero-thought hack job that was GvK is a better movie than anything Toho has put out post-54. I feel like some level of effort and artistry went into better than half the Toho films, which is more than I can say for GvK. Parts of it were pretty to look at, but that was about it.

I will also dispute that Monsterverse Godzilla brings nothing new to the table. I would say the whole Alpha system and his unique history and assorted quirks stand out.
This is a fairly balanced take. I can agree with much of what you have said.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

ultrazilla wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:58 am Easily the best incarnation of Godzilla to me, the dude actually has lore, character, personality, purpose and continuation now, not to mention being an integral part of the bigger picture. What MV has done is making me care for the character more and eager to dive into more about the world of Godzilla. We've only just scratched the surface of MV Godzilla, there's a lot that could be told in the hands of different directors and creative minds to keep us feeling fresh. Also yeah, the design is second to none, sorry it's the truth.
I really do agree with a lot of your points, The one thing I sort of agree the design, yeah I know it’s simple and nothing thought provoking but sometimes simple is better then being complex and complicated, *cough* anime trilogy *cough*

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

It's ok OP you are not alone. I don't care much for the MV either. I wouldn't go as far as you have in saying I have zero interest, but I do have very little. I find a lot of the concepts in of themselves are cool but they are executed very poorly and sometimes barely addressed at all. I'm not too big into the big budget Hollywood blockbuster type of film anyway so it is no surprise on my part.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:36 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:56 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Voyager goes on to suffer from a Design Bracket Flashback

Bruh like I enjoy the character and may have spent thousands in collectibles on the design. But yes I too cringed at this sentence. However I can’t find the words to describe exactly why.
What makes it worse is the fact that is near identical to everything he was saying during the G54 v G14 match.

*And the fact he passed off his opinion as 100% fact.
It was a fact then and it's a fact now. To actually think G54 is a better design than 2014 is hilarious...and delusional

BoswerLK
Ronin

Post by BoswerLK »

I get the sentiment, though I'd be up for more MV godzilla. I find it nostalgic to come back to the somewhat goofy highly characterized pseudo superhero concept of godzilla from the showa era. yeah, it's been done to death, and toho themselves couldn't stop themselves from constantly gravitating back to it all throughout up to final wars, but that's the kind of godzilla that got most people into godzilla to begin with

I'd be much more up for more like shin too, and I honestly loved the concept of godzilla earth, and the visual design of SP, but I would definitely take a plain vanilla tried and true godzilla done decently over the complete execution catastrophe of the animes thus far. and at some point, if they weird out his concept and design far enough, you gotta wonder if it's really godzilla at all. SP has hit that point for me with how inconsequential and severely lacking in any identity, impact, or purpose his appearance was there. I wouldn't want something so different where I feel he's a cameo or there in name only in his own show

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

I could not disagree more. I love this Godzilla, and love the Monsterverse. I want them to keep pumping out more movies, as many as I can get. I'm down for ANY Godzilla content, be it Legendary or Toho.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Moogabunga wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:58 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:36 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:56 pm
Bruh like I enjoy the character and may have spent thousands in collectibles on the design. But yes I too cringed at this sentence. However I can’t find the words to describe exactly why.
What makes it worse is the fact that is near identical to everything he was saying during the G54 v G14 match.

*And the fact he passed off his opinion as 100% fact.
It was a fact then and it's a fact now. To actually think G54 is a better design than 2014 is hilarious...and delusional

Two can play at that game, bucko.

Haunting, Scary, Beautiful.

Off-putting, Ugly, Bad all-round

I know you fake MV Fans despise this render, but I mean, it does give us a clear picture of the Goji you claim to be the best, doesn’t it?
Jermobooka wrote: Ugh, yeah. Looked pretty ugly in that render. Dunno how in the hell that even got printed or was on display in anything official whatsoever :lol:
Thatguy4683 wrote: Let’s not talk about that render
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 pm -design snip-
Wow. You really did just dive straight into the design bracket thread and dig up those old quotes for this one point. :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

...And my point is proven.

In my opinion, the 54 is one of the best designs even beyond the fact that if it didn't exist, the Monsterverse design would never exist as well. That being said maybe minus 14's StumpFeet, the MV is a serviceable update and works well for its respective series. Just like 54, there are a few shots that would be easy to point out that look a bit awkward and strange. Maybe it's just me, but when I saw GVK on the big screen, I thought a bunch of closeups on Godzilla didn't look so hot, but I didn't find it a major issue to complain about. The MV design works for what it is. But yeah the 54 puppet does look bad. Imagine the shocking realization that a 70 year old handpuppet, made in a time where raw resources and materials were hard to come by due to rampant post-war poverty (before the boom/bounce back) doesn't look so great.

I disagree largely that the MV design is consistent or planned. If you read all the backstories behind the production of the MV, it becomes clear that there wasn't some sort of larger backstory or idea planned, and individual entries and a lot of it was just "rolling with the punches" and filling in the blanks as they went. The portrayal of MV in all three Monsterverse films is actually pretty different, just like pretty much all the other films...

It's also amusing when you realize that Toho/Legendary and whoever makes the films don't think like a lot of the fans, and there's a clear path of inspiration moving from one entry to another. The MV obviously owes a lot to the Toho films, including Shin, and Godzilla SP made a ton of references to 98 and the MV. I would not be surprised if later Toho films make visual callbacks to the MV as well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

How much you wanna bet if I made a post like this about Reiwa Godzilla I’d be banned lol
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:16 pm How much you wanna bet if I made a post like this about Reiwa Godzilla I’d be banned lol
I'll address this with transparency:
I agree with you that the original post/title is definitely a bit incendiary. However, it's based on something that has been out for a while (versus you saying Godzilla only appears for 1% of the series and repeatedly making straw men for supposed fanboys that didn't exist, midway through a shows release) and purposely trying to provoke arguments. You repeatedly posted bait. Destroyer of Worlds is just sharing his general ambivalence towards the MV, after 4 entries and it's framed as a legitimate question. Definitely there's a lot of different opinions being expressed here, but up until this post, it seems like everyone has been pretty chill about it.

I like Godzilla 2014, Skull Island, and Godzilla vs. Kong, and it's a bit annoying how people are trying to force differences between the two series, when it's very clear both are inspired by each other. You keep trying to force this narrative where supposed "Reiwa Fanboys" hate the MV, and that this is somehow a majority, when it isn't the case. If you read what a lot of people say, (like for instance Terasawa's posts), you'd find that many people just like Shin Godzilla but not even the other Reiwa takes, like the anime trilogy (sorry, I don't mean to speak for you Terasawa).

My overarching point GTTF, is that everyone posting in this thread likes Godzilla, and people in general aren't trying to start some "war" between different parts of the fandom. But you specifically, seem to be pretty intent to do so, and I question why that is.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:10 pm Made a good point
Honestly you make a lot good point and and I agree with all of them

Now let’s stop pointing fingers and mock at each other for liking different designs, I don’t want This thread to be another dumpster fire

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Do I hear.... the best Godzilla slander? I just feel he has more personality than the last what, 20+ years of the character?

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:06 pm Do I hear.... the best Godzilla slander? I just feel he has more personality than the last what, 20+ years of the character?

Mildly off topic, but this shot always looked so off to me. I'm not sure if it's the rendering of the CGI, or how it's lit, or what; but it just looks weak, not flattering at all.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.