I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Jermobooka »

Okay, okay, looking back on it now, my previous post was a tad bit aggressive and unwarranted. Apologies.

My point still semi-stands though, I think. For a series/franchise as old, long, and expansive as Godzilla’s, you would think there would be more open mindedness when it comes to new content. :P
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:01 pm Okay, okay, looking back on it now, my previous post was a tad bit aggressive and unwarranted. Apologies.

My point still semi-stands though, I think. For a series/franchise as old, long, and expansive as Godzilla’s, you would think there would be more open mindedness when it comes to new content. :P
That doesn’t mean you need to enjoy it, though :?
For Emperor and Empire!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I have zero idea why fans have the need to act all high and mighty and proclaim that their favourite Godzilla is the absolute best, or downplay the franchise, not giving it the credit it deserves. Just enjoy Godzilla & go about your day.

Yes, discussion is good.... when it's good. Not when it's the same contest again and again. Pointing fingers to and fro won't get ya anywhere.

Look, I've been through the cues. I had my Heisei-only phase, I've paraded G14 as the greatest, and I've had my fair share of being an "elitist" that only saw value in the "kino" shiz. Point is, it's all the same sh*t, different cover.

Godzilla's a changing character, always has been. In retrospect, I think nearly all Godzillas post-1975 represent a part of Showa Godzilla, while growing unique identities of their own. Sure, Showa G is my favourite, but I wouldn't want other Godzillas to be like him. I also think it's silly to think there isn't more than two great Godzilla films. Creators pour their dreams, fears, and imaginations into these films. They capture times I'm sure a good portion of us on here weren't around to experience.

Yeah, there's been duds, but Godzilla always returns, wouldn't you agree? With that in mind, I think it'd be better to discover why Godzilla keeps returning.... as in what is it people find so alluring about the character.
Spoiler:
There is no single answer.
MV, Shin, Earth, Ultima - all are different takes, that appeal to different tastes. Godzilla works in a variety of contexts in stories, he's just a piece of the puzzle.

Buuuutttt people just wanna see Godzilla, so what the hell do I know :lol: :P
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I strongly hope the MV continues. MV Godzilla is what I see Godzilla as- not an animal, but a character, so to speak. Toho seems more interested, lately, in portraying him as an animal. And that’s fine. It’s certainly more true to his 1954 incarnation, where Godzilla is less sentient and the profundity of the character comes more from the circumstances around him and what led to his creation. That innocence is what helps to make his demise so effective, too. But to me, Godzilla is most compelling when he knows what’s going on.

I’d be a lot more willing to let the MV Godzilla go if Toho had some sort of plan for that niche, so to speak. I’m not even talking about Godzilla’s alignment, so to speak. Just the character’s awareness.

So yeah, I definitely prefer the MV Godzilla to stick around.
Last edited by LockBite on Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Bring back Godzooky. That’s the only reason why I would want to see something in the essence of Godzilla in the MV.
For Emperor and Empire!

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

hell no I do not feel the same. I love this incarnation of Godzilla. top 5 in terms of design and characterization.
Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:01 pmOkay, okay, looking back on it now, my previous post was a tad bit aggressive and unwarranted. Apologies.
eh, it's nothing new here
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:36 am The idea that what Toho has been doing recently with Godzilla is the same as what has been going on in the MV is a bold-faced fallacy.

I don't think they meant movie wise I think they meant as how so fans are done with the MV, others aren't intreasted in what Toho is doing.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

2014 has the greatest Godzilla design aside from the original, IMO. He’s not only truly intimidating, but the camera demonstrates that by keeping him in scale with everything else. His design is almost deliberately a contrast to the Heisei and Showa designs, jagged and sharp while still retaining a naturalistic feel.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I disagree with the OP. I would love to see how the Monsterverse continues to go along and develop. Yeah they aren't perfect but I enjoy them for what they are. I think it is a nice contrast from what Toho is doing right now. Not that Toho's Godzillas are bad I just like the contrast it is interesting.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Fuck no. Keep this Godzilla going as long as people want to see him, and the majority of the fandom seems to love him. This Godzilla is what G98 SHOULD have been: an American reboot of the character that popularizes him in the US. For all intents and purposes, MonsterVerse Godzilla has succeeded on almost all fronts.

Toho is pleased with it.

Legendary is pleased with it.

Fans are pleased with it.

Literally no reason to stop.
Last edited by Breakdown on Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:42 am The more i reflect upon the Monster Verse, the more i realize that i'm just tired of this version of Godzilla. His square face, barely visible eyes, the alpha monster role, and how mission oriented he is.

Really, it's just Kong and Rodan I want to see more of. Not Godzilla.

I'm not opposed to another Warner Brothers-Legendary made Godzilla film, but I think they need to move on from this version of the character. The design and characterization is dull. i want a new design, in a new universe, some horror, lots of tragedy, destruction, and in a world that takes monsters more seriously. With a new Godzilla actually headlining a movie for a change.

Is anyone else starting to feel the same?
You're not alone. My reasons might be different, don't need to go into my problems with GvK again, but I'm certainly over MV Godzilla. I don't think I'll watch any future MV Godzilla movies. Might be petty, but I hope Legendary experiences a lot of bombs/underperforming films in the future and flounder/get bought out so some other studio can get their hands on Godzilla instead. I still wish to see a big Hollywood Godzilla, just not theirs.

Added in 16 minutes 3 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:28 pm I want more of MV Goji. Easily my favorite incarnation of the G-Man in every way.

Though I do hope that TOHO could make their own more traditional Godzilla after the MonsterVerse.
Oh dear god no - why does it have to be after the MV? We don't know how long the MV will last, like we could see it last into the 2030s - I do not want to wait a decade or better (it's already been five years now since Shin) for a Toho live action Godzilla, especially as I'm not a fan of the direction Legendary's taken the last two films and will continue to head in. That's basically just telling people like me "lol no gawdziller 4 u" really. Toho releasing films in the windows between Legendary's films would clearly be the best result - then everyone has a chance of a Godzilla that they like.

Added in 3 minutes 5 seconds:
Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:05 pm The tone of G14 with the fights of GvK is what Legendary needs to aim for whether it’s another MV or reboot. I’m down for either honestly.
This is what I wanted, this is what I wish we'd get - but clearly the ship on a 2014 tone has sailed. With the success of GvK during a pandemic Legendary believes the people have spoken - future movies will follow GvK's lead in tone, style, and pacing as well as the fights.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

There's really no need for gloom and doom. Legendary might hire better writers and directors tomorrow, you know? Wait and see what the hypothetical next movie looks like before you declare you don't want to watch it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Ehh, when Toho starts doing more stuff with traditional Godzilla or make him into a character again, then I’ll settle with the Monsterverse ending here. But since they seem more interested in going the “emotionless destroyer of worlds” route, I’d rather we see more MV Godzilla going forward.

I love Toho, but I’m not gonna act like “Toho can do no wrong, replace the ‘murican version”. The current Godzilla interpretations they’ve been focusing on aren’t fully to my liking. And that’s fine, you know? I’m not expecting to be into every take on the character, the same way not everyone is into MV Godzilla. But I’d rather Legendary improve on their writing for future endeavors instead of just having “sunken eyes world destroyer” be the default for the next couple of decades. Or we get traditional Goji by Toho again. Anything that isn’t just “Shin but with a funny hat” variants
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The person who called MV Godzilla dull better not turn around and say Shin was what they were looking for personality wise.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:31 am The person who called MV Godzilla dull better not turn around and say Shin was what they were looking for personality wise.
I honestly feel like both versions aren't a favorite of mine. I honestly could care less about MV Goji and his weird need to "protect the balance of Earth" or whatever anymore, (and his design really not being a favorite of mine either isn't doing any favors) but at the same time, the whole thing the soulless, walking forward Godzilla, while working for the incarnations it's been giving to, has pretty much already overstayed it's welcome.
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:20 am Ehh, when Toho starts doing more stuff with traditional Godzilla or make him into a character again, then I’ll settle with the Monsterverse ending here. But since they seem more interested in going the “emotionless destroyer of worlds” route, I’d rather we see more MV Godzilla going forward.

I love Toho, but I’m not gonna act like “Toho can do no wrong, replace the ‘murican version”. The current Godzilla interpretations they’ve been focusing on aren’t fully to my liking. And that’s fine, you know? I’m not expecting to be into every take on the character, the same way not everyone is into MV Godzilla. But I’d rather Legendary improve on their writing for future endeavors instead of just having “sunken eyes world destroyer” be the default for the next couple of decades. Or we get traditional Goji by Toho again. Anything that isn’t just “Shin but with a funny hat” variants
Couldn’t have said it better myself, Toho has been milking what I call the “shin formula” (emotionless Godzilla that is a beam spamming statue and a focus on high levels of exposition with very little character). And everything the last few years from them has felt incredibly samey. A lot of Tohokingdom likes to pretend otherwise but aren’t able to back up how Shin, ultima and earth are different aside from origin and appearance.

Legendary Godzilla actually has personality and the movies have variety, so it’s way more suited for me than Toho’s exposition dump movies and series.

Added in 3 minutes 24 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:31 am The person who called MV Godzilla dull better not turn around and say Shin was what they were looking for personality wise.
B-but who will know :lol:

That’d be par for the course on this forum. Ive seen people call Bear lazy for remaking classic themes for KoTM, while simultaneously praising shin’s cut and paste of sound effects and music. Don’t get me started on the Ray Harryhausen slander I’ve seen on here.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

This fandom needs MV and Toho Godzilla simple as that. A lot of us are clearly having fun with MV Godzilla and the other half enjoy the stories Toho is making like Shin and Singular Point.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Both studios are doing great things, but I do prefer the MonsterVerse for the most part.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Right, I just got my 8th report for this thread and I've officially had it. The other mods as well.

Locking this because this thread is not being civil in the slightest. Also doesn't help this whole question is provoking like that crappy Shin exposes the hypocrisy of the fandom thread.

RIP Evan.