I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

It's fun to discuss design preferences, but they're subjective to the point that 'debating' them, or trying to establish any sort of era superiority based on them, is useless. Heck, even debating which incarnation of Godzilla is best takes a distant backseat to the quality of the films themselves.
gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:16 pm How much you wanna bet if I made a post like this about Reiwa Godzilla I’d be banned lol
I'm betting that not only would you be unpunished, but that your thread would probably be similar in tone to this one. :g2k:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: I have zero interest in seeing Godzilla in the MV again. Does anyone else feel the same?

Post by Voyager »

Spuro wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:54 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:06 pm Do I hear.... the best Godzilla slander? I just feel he has more personality than the last what, 20+ years of the character?

Mildly off topic, but this shot always looked so off to me. I'm not sure if it's the rendering of the CGI, or how it's lit, or what; but it just looks weak, not flattering at all.
Like, when I see that, I don’t see Godzilla, really. I can’t explain why either
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:06 pm Do I hear.... the best Godzilla slander? I just feel he has more personality than the last what, 20+ years of the character?

Mildly off topic, but this shot always looked so off to me. I'm not sure if it's the rendering of the CGI, or how it's lit, or what; but it just looks weak, not flattering at all.
Yes, actually 100% when I saw GvK on a big screen, I thought that looked horrendously off. However, I know that's just one shot of the MV Godzilla, and it would be foolish to base my entire opinion on how MV Goji looks based on that alone.
Spoiler:

(It’s incredibly strange to me that people are suddenly arguing Godzilla has never had any personality up until the recent monsterverse incarnations, when mid-to late showa had a lot of personality, and so did even heisei and millennium. What this all feels like is suddenly people choosing to die on a hill for some arbitrary reason)
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

1999/2000/2002/2003 barely had personality imo, and 2004s only personality was "let's see how many bodies I can drop in an hour and 30 minutes". Only argument would be 2001 as he very clearly had tons of expression.

So yes that would be the last 20 or so years of the character.

Added in 50 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:41 am Like, when I see that, I don’t see Godzilla, really. I can’t explain why either
So who do you see?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BoswerLK
Ronin

Post by BoswerLK »

his level of personality varied over the years, but it's just one aspect of his overall character anyways. same goes for his looks, which, is entirely subjective. I would agree that post heisei, toho largely got lazy an just rode the edgy stoic hyper masculine personality for him a bit much, so it's appreciable that MV shows more than just that one single dimension of his personality. that said, a wicked smile and a worried glance here and there hardly sets him above previous iterations

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:03 am

Yes, actually 100% when I saw GvK on a big screen, I thought that looked horrendously off. However, I know that's just one shot of the MV Godzilla, and it would be foolish to base my entire opinion on how MV Goji looks based on that alone.
Spoiler:

(It’s incredibly strange to me that people are suddenly arguing Godzilla has never had any personality up until the recent monsterverse incarnations, when mid-to late showa had a lot of personality, and so did even heisei and millennium. What this all feels like is suddenly people choosing to die on a hill for some arbitrary reason)
I never said Godzilla didn’t have personality until
The MV, I’m saying that Godzilla not having a personality is a very recent thing Toho has been doing. And that MV godzilla is the only modern incarnation that has a personality. That’s why I’m disappointed in Toho, because I know they can do it as they did it for like 50+ years
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Determination, dominance, satisfaction, approval, understanding, pain, surprise, leniency, and I'm sure there's quite a few other expressions we visually saw within the last 3 MV G Films.

Yes, there's much more to his very being than just expression, but it helps elevate him as a character above some of, if not, most of, the classic iterations in that regard. It also allows for connective tissue with the audience.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:35 am It's fun to discuss design preferences, but they're subjective to the point that 'debating' them, or trying to establish any sort of era superiority based on them, is useless. Heck, even debating which incarnation of Godzilla is best takes a distant backseat to the quality of the films themselves.
gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:16 pm How much you wanna bet if I made a post like this about Reiwa Godzilla I’d be banned lol
I'm betting that not only would you be unpunished, but that your thread would probably be similar in tone to this one. :g2k:
I got warned for “posting bad things about singular point too much” (about once a week). TK mods operate off of emotion, this is nothing new and has been an issue long time users have been talking about for a while, what might fly on one board won’t on another, especially if the mods like the media being spoken negatively about.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

As another person posted earlier, nearly every closeup of Godzilla looks wacky in GvK. I can't put my finger on it though. The only closeup I can think of that looks outstanding is when Godzilla rises out of the water briefly to roar.

It's just a weird quirk considering every other non-close up shot of him looks great and every shot of the other monsters looks great as well.
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:37 am
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:35 am It's fun to discuss design preferences, but they're subjective to the point that 'debating' them, or trying to establish any sort of era superiority based on them, is useless. Heck, even debating which incarnation of Godzilla is best takes a distant backseat to the quality of the films themselves.
I got warned for “posting bad things about singular point too much” (about once a week). TK mods operate off of emotion, this is nothing new and has been an issue long time users have been talking about for a while, what might fly on one board won’t on another, especially if the mods like the media being spoken negatively about.
As I have continually said, if you or anyone has any issues, comments, concerns, etc they can and should message me to have a discussion about it instead of just screaming at the sky that nothing changes.

Let's keep the conversation about the topic at hand. Thanks.
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

BoswerLK
Ronin

Post by BoswerLK »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:35 am Determination, dominance, satisfaction, approval, understanding, pain, surprise, leniency, and I'm sure there's quite a few other expressions we visually saw within the last 3 MV G Films.

Yes, there's much more to his very being than just expression, but it helps elevate him as a character above some of, if not, most of, the classic iterations in that regard. It also allows for connective tissue with the audience.
it adds interest for sure, but I don't think it's a definitively good thing for a giant lizard to be so humanized and expressive. gaining that relatability takes away from some of his unmanageable monstrosity that's often used to pit him as a villain to humans within the movie. it's like how predators are much less monstrous/horrifying because of their very human-like culture and ability to reason/sense of honor/etc, as opposed to xenomorphs, who are basically just primal untethered death and destruction

I don't think either take on the character is better or worse than the other. the showa/MV superhero friend and companion to humanity, or the unsocialable unreasonable antihero+villain of millenium are just different characters that can tell very different kinds of stories

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Wait, some people are actually trying to bash this scene?

Odd....this is one of the VERY few good moments/scenes to come out of GvK (unless you like to suck off Kong, then I guess the whole 1hr 50 min + runtime is filled with scenes like that) :roll:

Even if you're just talking from an effects point of view, I really don't think there's much to criticize here

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Post by tenup »

I agree with the original post from destroyah of worlds. It's great to have all this Godzilla content and I'm sure the Monsterverse did what it had to do to reinvent Godzilla for the modern audience and most likely produced a whole new generation of Godzilla fans. That aside I grew up in the 80's and couldn't tell you when or what my first Godzilla experience was because as long as I could remember the beast has been a prominent symbol of my life.

With that I've endured all different media of Godzilla good and bad and always accepted it. However the content seemed scarce back then and whenever a Godzilla film was aired on TV it was always well welcoming pleasure. Many factors come to play in my rejective view toward the Monsterverse films and the primary one being these aren't produced in Japan.

No American director has yet nailed the true essence of Godzilla. Sure many are spoiled with the high budget Hollywood CGI effects but beyond that can anyone honestly say these films have any substance?

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Moogabunga wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:16 pm Wait, some people are actually trying to bash this scene?

Odd....this is one of the VERY few good moments/scenes to come out of GvK (unless you like to suck off Kong, then I guess the whole 1hr 50 min + runtime is filled with scenes like that) :roll:

Even if you're just talking from an effects point of view, I really don't think there's much to criticize here
I finally got it!

The reason why i don’t like that shot is because…

He looks like a goddamn shark!
For Emperor and Empire!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

tenup wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:27 pm -usual bad opinion from tenup snip-
The MV has next to no substance whatsoever and I don’t see how that’s a bad thing. It’s all dumb fun.

I don’t see how one has to be a joyless, hard lined, Kino obsessed purist or a hyper active, 5-second-attention-span toddler in this godforsaken fandom.

I love both Shin Gojira and Godzilla vs Kong for plenty of different reasons, with the one singular one being that they’re entertaining.

Trust me, the Godzilla franchise is far more enjoyable once you stop obsessing over the SDCC G14 trailer and the thought of Godzilla gore-killing people to super death :lol:
Last edited by Jermobooka on Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm-Usual Jermo Stuff snip-
Ok????

You don’t have to enjoy the MonsterVerse though… Sounds like you need everyone to enjoy it and if they don’t they’re “joyless” and an “obsessed purist”.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
tenup wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:27 pm -usual bad opinion from tenup snip-
The MV has next to no substance whatsoever and I don’t see how that’s a bad thing. It’s all dumb fun.

I don’t see how one has to be a joyless, hard lined, Kino obsessed purist or a hyper active, 5-second-attention-span toddler in this godforsaken fandom.

I love both Shin Gojira and Godzilla vs Kong for plenty of different reasons, with the one singular one being that they’re entertaining.

Trust me, the Godzilla franchise is far more enjoyable once you stop obsessing over the SDCC G14 trailer and the thought of Godzilla gore-killing people to super death :lol:
This was wildly uncalled for.

Let's keep conversations civil going forward. Thank you.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm I don’t see how one has to be a joyless, hard lined, Kino obsessed purist or a hyper active, 5-second-attention-span toddler in this godforsaken fandom.
They don't, though? Most people in the fandom seem to enjoy a wide variety of Godzilla films, the hardliners are few and far between.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Now this, this thread does bring a smile to my face.

The MV goji sucks but it's not supposed to be this moral telling story. It's basically just making a Hollywood Godzilla budget movie. It was never intended to be anything more than that. And I like that to be honest. I hate the 2014 design but the ones after it are pretty damn good.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It definitely has the deepest delved lore we've had from the franchise since the Heisei era. But even then it goes deeper than that.

One might argue Godzillasaurus is going as deep as one would need to go to understand the character. I'd argue the MV goes deeper into the planet's very soul, without ever demystifying Godzilla himself.