Thoughts on the 2014 Godzilla?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Re: Thoughts on the 2014 Godzilla?

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The biggest crime against this film is all the potential it wasted.

It has the best cast of the entire Monsterverse in my opinion, yet kills off it's best characters within the first 40 minutes and completely underused the remaining cast.

The build up to the monster fights was great, but the cut-a-ways ruined what could have been an overall great sequence.

It's not a bad film per say, and I enjoyed it in theaters but it doesn't have any real rewatch value.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:50 pm
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:39 pm Lately my thoughts are…..favorite Godzilla movie and favorite Godzilla design.

Hoping we see a return of Gare Goji sooner rather than later
I'm a little confused here. "Gare Goji"? Are people actually naming the 2014, 2019 and 2021 Godzillas as if they were the Japanese suits, using the directors names?

Either way, why would the 2014 Godzilla design return?
Yes…and I believe these terms were created by Japanese fans on social media and then imported here.

Regarding why he would return. The tv show takes place pre 2019 so it’s possible they could use the 2014 design AND if there are any flashbacks in the new film depicting the original war between Godzilla and Kong’s species it would need to feature the 2014 design as well.

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I wish they didn’t change Godzilla’s design in the later movies. I was fine with his design here. I also don’t see why they needed to make him taller. Just so he could be bigger than Shin Godzilla?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Launching my third viewing in a few minutes here, via the 4K disk. First viewing was in the theater, obviously, and I walked out happy but kind of feeling underwhelmed by some aspects. Second viewing was in February of 2016, so just over seven years ago. I watched it on TV in the middle of the day with the Sun shining on the TV, so mostly I just remember that I couldn't freaking see anything. :lol: A lot has changed since 2016. At the time, this was the only new Godzilla movie. It was a strange, isolated standout, with only Pacific Rim as a contemporary to compare it to. Now, of course, we're in a different time. The Kaiju Renaissance has fully roared to life, and this movie has been followed by Shin, KSI, the Anime Trilogy, KOTM, GvK, PR:U, and all the rest. I'm interested in seeing how this movie holds up against the tsunami that followed it ashore.

EDIT: Change of plans. I'm watching it with my sister, and she got sidetracked, so the rewatch will have to wait.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

This may be unpopular, but I kind of enjoyed Sakai's take on the design, as showcased in the SHMA.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

shadowgigan wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:11 am This may be unpopular, but I kind of enjoyed Sakai's take on the design, as showcased in the SHMA.
Totally agree. Made it a little less otterbear and a little more Godzilla.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

It's kind of jarring to check this thread and see there's definitely a mixed conversation on Toho Kingdom - as of late I feel like I've seen nothing but high praise for this film everywhere else including on a lot of this site, and I've had conversations to the extent that the 'Bryan Cranston wasn't in enough of the film' criticism isn't something people actually say but it's definitely here.

I haven't actually rewatched it since before GKOTM, so I don't know where I'd land today.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

History has been kind to this film. Especially in light of the other movies we’ve gotten from both Japan and the US since then

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I get that some of you prefer this film over its successors for its serious and grounded tone. However, I don't think that alone makes it better. I waited a decade for Godzilla's return, only to see the focus shift to random kaiju I've never seen before. The serious approach had potential, but it fell short due to (mostly) forgettable characters and insufficient focus on Godzilla himself. I hope you understand.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 02, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

It is a masterpiece, according to Shinji Higuchi, which saved the Japanese franchise. :godzilla2021: :pelops2:
Last edited by Jomei on Wed May 03, 2023 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
XxHeiseifanxX wrote:Can we lower age limit! There are TOO MANY HEISEI HATERS!!!
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡
Challenge me to a Pokémon battle

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

And who are we to argue with him!?

I have to agree though. It’s tied with G 84/85 as my favorite Godzilla film and favorite depiction of Godzilla

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

For me it's not just the tone, it's just a much more competent film than either of the subsequent monsterverse films.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Time to get a little controversial. :pelops2:

I'm also going to say Godzilla 2014 also has the best music of the MV series. And not by a little.

Probably some people read that and think, "What about the KoTM classic themes?!? Those were epic!!!" Now, no doubt, the Ifukube themes are all-time greats and indisputable. But all the parts that aren't direct translations of the originals are... kind of """mid""" as the kids say. And Mothra's theme from KoTM has to be my least favorite version of the song by a big margin. The more I reflect on it, the more disappointing her handling in that film was. Where's the mystery? The melancholy? Instead of mystical and tender, Mothra's moment is rendered noisy and tacky.

The 2014 film's music can't compare with the classic themes for me, but Godzilla's new theme in that film at least has a sense of majesty and some coherence to the music. It's just a lot more tasteful throughout, and while part of me misses the classic theme, this is still a suitable and catchy motif throughout the soundtrack.
Last edited by Jomei on Wed May 03, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thatguy4683 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:04 pmWhat? Is this a joke? What gonna on here?
♡ Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin! Can't Bin the Shin!♡

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Nevermind, I read the comment wrong. Disregard.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Wed May 03, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Jomei wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:19 pm Time to get a little controversial. :pelops2:

I'm also going to say Godzilla 2014 also has the best music of the MV series. And not by a little.

Probably some people read that and think, "What about the KoTM classic themes?!? Those were epic!!!" Now, no doubt, the Ifukube themes are all-time greats and indisputable. But all the parts that aren't direct translations of the originals are... kind of """mid""" as the kids say. And Mothra's theme from KoTM has to be my least favorite version of the song by a big margin. The more I reflect on it, the more disappointing her handling in that film was. Where's the mystery? The melancholy? Instead of mystical and tender, Mothra's moment is rendered noisy and tacky.

The 2014 film's music can't compare with the classic themes for me, but Godzilla's new theme in that film at least has a sense of majesty and some coherence to the music. It's just a lot more tasteful throughout, and while part of me misses the classic theme, this is still a suitable and catchy motif throughout the soundtrack.
Yeah, I gotta stop you right there. KOTM's score in general is a literal GEM, easily Top 3 material. 2014's is really good and it's great for an original American Godzilla score, but McCreary's felt big and epic, regal even. Mystery wasn't what what they were going for, they were making music for a king. Which makes me more and more angry how GvK's music was so mid

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Gojira18 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:42 pm Yeah, I gotta stop you right there. KOTM's score in general is a literal GEM, easily Top 3 material.
Nah, it's a mess.
McCreary's felt big and epic, regal even.
The Ifukube parts, yeah. At least the parts that survived his arrangement.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Jomei wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:44 pm
Gojira18 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:42 pm Yeah, I gotta stop you right there. KOTM's score in general is a literal GEM, easily Top 3 material.
Nah, it's a mess.
Mess, my ass. McCreary in general is automatic musical gold. Even taking the Ifukube music out of the equation, his original music is fantastic on its own. Rodan's new theme gets the blood pumping, Ghidorah's theme is appropriately creepy, the Monarch motiff is memorable, Goodbye Old Friend still gets the waterworks going and Hollow Earth gives the titular world more a sense of wonder and creepiness than GvK ever did.
Last edited by Gojira18 on Wed May 03, 2023 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jomei
Futurian

Post by Jomei »

Gojira18 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:45 pm
Nah, it's a mess.
Mess, my ass.
Don't threaten me with a good time. :pelops2:
McCreary in general is automatic musical gold.

You do you, but for me, the only real good parts of what he did on KoTM are cannibalized from far superior composers. And the less he mucked with them the better. No offense--personal taste and all--but I like KoTM's soundtrack less and less as the initial WOW factor of having heard the classic themes in a new, big budget film has worn off.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Jomei wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:49 pm
Gojira18 wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:45 pm

Nah, it's a mess.

Mess, my ass.
Don't threaten me with a good time. :pelops2:
Phrasing is fun haha
McCreary in general is automatic musical gold.
You do you, but for me, the only real good parts of what he did on KoTM are cannibalized from far superior composers. And the less he mucked with them the better. No offense--personal taste and all--but I like KoTM's soundtrack less and less as the initial WOW factor of having heard the classic themes in a new, big budget film has worn off.
Cannibalize is a strong word. Especially after Junkie's score failed to impress, I personally find more and more to appreciate from KOTM's score but you do you, as you say.
Last edited by Gojira18 on Wed May 03, 2023 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Personally I loved McCreary's Rodan and Ghidorah themes, as much as I would have loved to hear more Ifukube renditions. "Goodbye, Old Friend," was also a real treat.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.