How would you create a MonsterVerse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: How would you create a MonsterVerse?

Post by shadowgigan »

Welll, first I'd have to see what IPs I could acquire. May event want to look at franchises like Alien. But my real targests would be Godzilla and Gamera.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

muto.knight wrote: ↑Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:28 am
Gojira1604 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:36 pm
muto.knight wrote: ↑Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 am
The full grown Kong roaring at the camera at the end of KOTM feels very on the nose.
Noooo behemoth
What would THEA be like?
I have not settled on what the Hollow Earth Alpha would be, two ideas I have is that he would look like Anubis and another is just an evil member of the Kong species.

And I changed my mind on the Behemoth part, I'm switching him with Queen MUTO, Megaguirus is just gonna kill the Queen MUTO and use her body to incubate her offsprings, though this means Behemoth will be killed by MechaG tho :v.
MechaG killing Behemoth is fine anytime.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Ight here's another silly but fun line up if I was the in charge of this series. Even if some of these couldn't be movies, guess they could be comics or episodes to a show. Chronological order.
πŸ”Έ0. Tremors, Alien Vs Predator (why not, the series would do good with smaller monsters), Trollhunter,
πŸ”Ή1.Godzilla (2014) & Aftershock
πŸ”ΈThe Gamera 2016 Trailer
πŸ”ΈA Deathla short movie, roided up Matango essentially with the shroom infection actually making its way to civilization.
πŸ”Ή2.Kong Skull Island (2017)
πŸ”ΉRampage, The Meg? People seem to be alured by the idea of them in the MV but I didn't really like them.
πŸ”Ή3.Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019)
πŸ”Ή4.Godzilla Vs Kong (2021)

πŸ”ΉSkull Island The Animated Series
πŸ”Ή5. King Kong: Hollow Earth (Kong would essentially come to dominate the Warbats and Skullcrawlers)
πŸ”ΉGareth Edward's "Monsters".
πŸ”Ή6.Rampage: War of the Behemoths (Behemoth pacifies two warring Titans)
πŸ”ΉMONARCH (The Apple TV series)
πŸ”Ή7.Godzilla: Rebirth of Mothra (Mothra and Godzilla nurture a new found baby Godzilla when APEX made monsters attack Australia, Dagarah & Hedorah)
πŸ”Ή8.GAMERA (2025) πŸ”Έ Introduces Barugon
πŸ”Ή9. A Skullcrawlers Horror Movie
πŸ”Ή10.Destroy All Monsters (Destoroyah arises, wipes out all the Titans but the main ones, might have him kill Godzilla &or Kong at the end)

πŸ”Ή11.Gamera Vs The Space Monsters (Gamera aids the Viras people when Legion attacks their world, but the squids later follow the guardian to Earth where they attack Korea with Guiron) πŸ”Έ introdues Zigra
πŸ”Ή12.Godzilla: Generations (a collider which is supposed to bring the Titans which fell to Destoroyah back into a world which desperately needs them from a parallel universe unintentionally brings in: Spacegodzilla, Millennium Gigan, Cyber Zilla, Shin Godzilla, Battra, Fake Godzilla, Godzilla 1999, Adult Godzilla Jr, Zilla Jr, Singular Point Jet Jaguar & Godzooky. It is up to the Godzillas to save the Monsterverse Earth from their villianous counterparts. Might have the final boss be the Polygon Void Ghidorah who is summoned into the MV by Godzilla Ultima. )
πŸ”Ή13. Mothra: Queen of the Monsters (MV Mothra and The Heisei Battra must stop the Millennium Megaguirus, who was also brought into the Monsterverse by the faulty collider)
πŸ”Ή14.Godzilla V Gamera (Legendary Godzilla Jr, now more grown up, seeks to take out Gamera, who is now seen as the new titan savior) πŸ”ΈIntroduces Jiger
πŸ”Έ15.Destroy All Titans: The Wrath of Bagan (Three previous monsters: Jiger, Barugon & Zigra, fuse into the ultimate prophesied monster: Bagan. Every kaiju seeks to stop the menace)

πŸ”ΉUltraman Legendary(a series where a new giant, Ultraman, faces of against his most iconic foes in monster of the week clashes)
πŸ”Ή16. Kong, The 8th Wonder of the World. (Kong and Behemoth follow their daily routine as Hollow Earth's kings when a threat brings them back to the surface after decades. Kong dies and his bones become an revered international attraction for humans and Kaiju alike. {Very random on the spot idea I came up with rn})
πŸ”Ή17.Pacific Rim: Titans Vs Jaegers (MV Pacific Rim crossover)
πŸ”Ή18.Collosal Kaiju Combat (Keizer, an omnipotent alien forces monsters from across the multiverse to battle for its twisted curiosity. Basically Monster Secret Wars)
πŸ”Ή19.Ultraman: Zone Fighters. (The Zone Family settles on Earth after the Garoga aliens destroy their homeworld. Humanity is initially mistrustful of the Peacelandian family but they are soon embraced into society when the Zone siblings save Japan from a Garoga Terror Beast. )
πŸ”Ή20.Destroy All Monsters: Final War. (The defeated Garogas had one last resort up their sleeve, they summon their creation Monster X to Earth. The skeletal destroyer summons Ghidorahs from across the universe, soon turning on the Garogas. All the heroic titans attempt at twarting away the incoming alien pack. The series has a definitive flash forward ending where humanity lives in peace alongside the guardian of Earth, a Godzilla Earth sized Monsterverse Godzilla Jr.

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Post by SharkLord »

I'd make a Godzilla 3 based on this dream I had once. It apparently had Varan, Biollante, and Destoroyah involved, though the dream only really consisted of a trailer. It might be a bit of a stretch to make those three usually unrelated kaiju work but I'll figure out a way.

muto.knight
Ronin

Post by muto.knight »

SharkLord wrote: ↑Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:00 pm I'd make a Godzilla 3 based on this dream I had once. It apparently had Varan, Biollante, and Destoroyah involved, though the dream only really consisted of a trailer. It might be a bit of a stretch to make those three usually unrelated kaiju work but I'll figure out a way.
Bruhh I dreamed so many awesome non-existent movies but never remembered anything that happened in it.

SharkLord
Yojimbo

Post by SharkLord »

muto.knight wrote: ↑Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:05 am
SharkLord wrote: ↑Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:00 pm I'd make a Godzilla 3 based on this dream I had once. It apparently had Varan, Biollante, and Destoroyah involved, though the dream only really consisted of a trailer. It might be a bit of a stretch to make those three usually unrelated kaiju work but I'll figure out a way.
Bruhh I dreamed so many awesome non-existent movies but never remembered anything that happened in it.
yeah, my dream was admittedly just a trailer, so there wasn't much to forget. I think it was just some shots of Godzilla fighting Biollante, a shot of an updated Destoroyah, and Varan's cry. Not much to work with.

The idea I had for a Godzilla 3 based on that was that Micro-Oxygen was experimented with and people found it could be used to make crazy hybrid organisms, which would be how Biollante was created. Meanwhile, the Oxygen Destroyer and the blood of the severed Ghidorah head would've reawakened the organisms that would become Destoroyah. Varan would show up I guess; I was thinking taht maybe he feeds off of Micro-Oxygen to make him feel more connected and not just there.

Or maybe he's just some random Titan who wakes up from his nap and gets dragged into the mess when he just wants to go back to sleep. That works too

TheSpooderMan
Young Farmer

Post by TheSpooderMan »

My Monsterverse would be called the Titanverse. It would have more monsters for example. The changes to the movies will be down below.

Differences:

Godzilla (2014)
  • Shinomura would be seen in the opening credits.
    My version would be heavily based on the 2012 script for the movie.
    Ford and Elle are siblings now because it just felt weird to me that they played a couple in the final cut that was released one year before Avengers: Age of Ultron, in which they played siblings.
    Joe and Sandra would be renamed Nathan and Linda.
    Sam is now Ford and Elle's younger brother.
    Joe doesn't die.
    The MUTOs are now called HokMUTO and FeMUTO.
    Godzilla gets more screentime, because...it's a fucking Godzilla movie.
    We get an airport battle. Although it is short, it's still a cool action set piece that I really wish we saw in the final cut. Maybe if they ever release the extended cut as apart of a MCU-style Monsterverse box set, we could probably see it, but who knows.
    The HokMUTO molts and morphs into a new form with four wings.
    The airplane crash scene, that you may have saw in the movie, takes place in Boston. The HokMUTO, while on his way to the West Coast, fires his EMP. This causes a nearby airplane who was currently preparing to land at the Logan Airport to crash onto the highway. This scene was heavily inspired by the plane crash scene from Knowing.
    The Alcatraz scene is in my version.
    The speech given by Admiral Stenz is in my version as well.
    Ford's fellow comrades from the HALO jump help him blow up the MUTO eggs.
    A post-credits scene involving "Monster Zero" is in my version.

I will discuss the changes for K:SI later.
Last edited by TheSpooderMan on Mon May 22, 2023 11:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

TheSpooderMan
Young Farmer

Post by TheSpooderMan »

Kong: Skull Island The Legend of Kong (2016)

So, yeah. Obviously, I changed the name because it's cooler than "Kong: Skull Island" and it's literally the title from the unmade 1975 script, just without the "King" title.

Let's go through the changes because there are a good handful but not a lot.

Changes:
  • The movie is now set in 1995 instead of 1973. Yeah, I know. Controversial, right? I know most of you like the 1970s setting, but I wanted to see what a modern-day-esque King Kong adaptation would look like.
    Mason Weaver and James Conrad are gone. They're not in this movie. They're replaced by, drumroll please.......Ann Darrow and Jack Driscoll. Ta-da! I brought back the human characters that you King Kong fans are familiar with. I also brought back Carl Denham, also he won't be the greedy, manipulative filmmaker you all know him as. He would be more like a movie director, who is only known for a few films.
    Bill Randa, Houston Brooks, Lin San, Hank Marlow, Colonel Packard, Mills, Cole, and Slivko are still in the film. Lin will be fleshed out more as a character like she was in the novelization of K: SI. Also, Bill Randa will be played by Willem Dafoe instead of John Goodman. Why? Because he is.
    More scenes with the monsters on Skull Island. That means new monsters that weren't in the film but were in the novel. I put some monsters from Peter Jackson's King Kong movie. Examples include the creatures that were present in the novelization: the Giant Snake that Conrad encounters (instead he will meet Driscoll since I replaced Conrad with the latter).

The rest of the changes will be added soon.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

I think keeping a common tonality across the movies would be first. Joe doesn't die but like Serizawa carries across the series. Brighter and slightly longer fight scenes in 2014 with more focus on Joe than Ford.

KOTM: Mark works in contrast with Joe and Serizawa until he realizes that Godzilla is not the enemy (same) However, while his Emma is on the same mission, Madison is on board through manipulation of her mom and not the annoying misled teen. Madison is the one that detonates Ghidorah, once they both realize that their plan has backfired, they desert, the mission and destroy the ORCA to release control of Ghidorah. In the battle in Boston Madison is lost like Adam. Mark is the one that sacrifices himself to save Godzilla thinking he had lost his entire family and has nothing to lose, so we get to keep Serizawa and Joe Brody. Emma having come full circle with the loss of her family is brought back in to Monarch in order to right her wrongs and make her loss meaningfull.

GVK, eliminate the whole Madison, Bernie, Josh story. Make it actual spies from Monarch that uncover the plot of MG so security isn't pulling weapons out on a geek and kids who would have almost no hope of actual infiltration of such an organization. They are also tied to the eco-terrorists who help fund APEX (SUPPLIED KENNY'S HEAD) and keeps Charles Dance in a more prominent role. "If we can't have the king, we'll make one ourselves...."
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

MrRockett wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 9:35 am I think keeping a common tonality across the movies would be first. Joe doesn't die but like Serizawa carries across the series. Brighter and slightly longer fight scenes in 2014 with more focus on Joe than Ford.

KOTM: Mark works in contrast with Joe and Serizawa until he realizes that Godzilla is not the enemy (same) However, while his Emma is on the same mission, Madison is on board through manipulation of her mom and not the annoying misled teen. Madison is the one that detonates Ghidorah, once they both realize that their plan has backfired, they desert, the mission and destroy the ORCA to release control of Ghidorah. In the battle in Boston Madison is lost like Adam. Mark is the one that sacrifices himself to save Godzilla thinking he had lost his entire family and has nothing to lose, so we get to keep Serizawa and Joe Brody. Emma having come full circle with the loss of her family is brought back in to Monarch in order to right her wrongs and make her loss meaningfull.

GVK, eliminate the whole Madison, Bernie, Josh story. Make it actual spies from Monarch that uncover the plot of MG so security isn't pulling weapons out on a geek and kids who would have almost no hope of actual infiltration of such an organization. They are also tied to the eco-terrorists who help fund APEX (SUPPLIED KENNY'S HEAD) and keeps Charles Dance in a more prominent role. "If we can't have the king, we'll make one ourselves...."
For KOTM, I would have had Mark and Joe have something of a yin and yang. One that had Godzilla save his family, the other that had Godzilla destroy his. In the end, they learn to respect one another and take over Monarch as co-directors after Serizawa's sacrifice. I'd also have Emma free Ghidorah as the only thing capable of killing Godzilla but Madison eventually realizes what she's doing. Definitely agree on the GvK one, but I'd have Madison at first have some training from G-Team and then that same team is sent to uncover MG, with Madison being the newest recruit. Keep Charles Dance, I 100% agree with.

TheSpooderMan
Young Farmer

Post by TheSpooderMan »

muto.knight wrote: ↑Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:01 am 14 Feb 2022: I have created a wiki for my MonsterVerse: https: //darians-monsterverse.fandom .com/
Check it out if you're interested!

I love reading about peoples ideas for movies and i'd love to hear more from you guys.
You can either continue with the existing MonsterVerse (maybe change something about the movies) or create your own from scratch.
My personal imaginative MonsterVerse would be:

Godzilla (2014)
-The only change I have for this movie is that it wouldn't be so damn dark during the night scenes

Kong of Skull Island (2017)
-The only change I have for this movie is that Skull Island will be full of cryptid monsters from all over the world, Ogopogo, Mapinguari, Titanoboa, Mokele-mbembe, Jersey devils, etc.

Notes: I'm staying with "MUTO" as the designated name for the monsters because i think its way more interesting and original than "Titans"

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2018)
-No annoying blue filter
-Mothra's outpost is on Infant Island in Indonesia instead of China
-Alan Jonah is a Xilien in disguise
-There would be a scene where various awakened monsters attack humans under King Ghidorah's order (they would all bow to Godzilla at the end)
-I'm saving Godzilla's thermonuclear blast for later, in this movie Ghidorah will just die in a way he can be revived later but I don't know how yet :p
-One of the news clippings will report the mysterious dissapearance of Ghidorah's corpse
-The closing credits will show a grown up Kong beating his chest and roaring at the camera

Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
-No Mechagodzilla and Millie, just G-man and Kong duking it out
-4 years after KoTM
-3 fights: one in Skull Island (Kong wins), one in the Hollow Earth (they don't stop until going back to the surface) --> and the final one in a city
-Skull Island is still habitable, but the Iwis are wiped out during a Skullcrawler onslaught when King Ghidorah called them
-Godzilla will encounter Kong while trying to enter the Hollow Earth through the entrypoint in Skull Island because i was REALLY disappointed they didn't fight in Skull Island in the real movie. And yes, Kong will shove a tree down Godzilla's mouth
-An angry Godzilla destroys Monarch base in Skull Island, hurting Jia in the process which enrages Kong
-After fighting Kong Godzilla will have a brief encounter with the Titan Skullcrawler and fights her
-Kong will encounter a MUTO couple in the Hollow Earth similar from the 2014 ones and fights them
-Part of the Hollow Earth will be radioactive (obviously) and the humans will have to wear hazmat suits when stepping out
-Houston Brooks will be present when they arrived to the Hollow Earth i mean come on, the one character who studies the Hollow Earth deserves to see it for himself
-My idea for the Hollow Earth is since it's the homeworld of the monsters, the sizes of the environment should be relative to the Titans' sizes, so there would be gigantic trees that Rodan could've nest on
-Godzilla wins int the third round, but just before killing Kong, a new Mothra shows up to stop him (which surprised Godzilla so much he forgets everything about Kong and leaves him, and there would be a cute scene where Godzilla and Mothra walks away together, leaving Kong)
-Ngl, It's hard to think of a plot for this movie with the Hollow Earth and all

Rodan: Infestation (2021)
-1 year after KoTM
-The villain would be Megaguirus, an uncontained MUTO. Monarch couldn't have discovered ALL of the dormant Titans, so i was thinking there's gotta be some who are unknown to them
-Megaguirus will have replicating powers, meaning she could replicate Rodan and Quetzalcoatl's abilities
-Since awakened by King Ghidorah, Megaguirus has multiplied and her spawns are terrorizing Mexico
-Quetzalcoatl is a female
-Queen MUTO will die being swarmed by Megaguirus' offsprings
-There will be a scene where Rodan and Quetzalcoatl flies together while eating Megaguirus' children after they killed her while Libiamo ne' lieti calici plays :v

Mothra and the Dark Divine (2021) (I'm honestly not sure if that title is grammatically correct :p)
-Set in ancient Japan and Infant Island. I wanted to have at least one movie set in ancient times.
-Battra is the villain

The King Kong (2022)
-1 year after GvK
-My OC, Wukong, one of the MUTOs Ghidorah awakened (a winged mandrill) will fight Kong before becoming his monke best friend
-Kong confronts THEA (The Hollow Earth Alpha) who enslaves a tribe of Kongs and fights him to liberate them and become the King Kong
-Kong will have a mate by the end of the film
-The post-credits scene will be Monarch setting up an outpost at Mechagodzilla's discovery site

Terror of Mechagodzilla (2022)
-5 years after TKK
-The opening scene will be Mechagodzilla fighting King Ghidorah in 12,000 BC (The cave painting Monarch discovered was mistaken for Godzilla, it was actually Mechagodzilla dun-dUN-DUN) there will be a dramatic scene where a caveman draws the fight just before the title drop
-MechaG was merely a robot used by the BHP3 aliens but will become sentient as its AI was altered telepathically by King Ghidorah during the fight, uploading his consciousness to the Mecha (I like the idea of MechaG being a King Ghidorah incarnate). Now, uncontrollable, MechaG kills its creators while King Ghidorah watches
-MechaG was discovered by Monarch sometime after The King Kong and didn't wake up when Ghidorah called because he shut down completely
-The main plot follows the activation of a fully charged Mechagodzilla aka King Ghidorah, remembering events of KoTM because of data transferring from Monarch, wreaking havoc killing every MUTO that betrayed him
-Using bioacoustics and mating calls, MechaG lures the MUTOs to kill them
-Baphomet, Behemoth, Abaddon, Tiamat, and Scylla will die in his arms (this would be the most action-packed movie in the MV)
-Much like in the real GvK, when they meet face-to-face MechaG will use Godzilla to mop the city
-MechaG creates a sinkhole to the Hollow Earth in order to get there, conveniently opening up near Kong's residence. Curious, Kong sends Wukong to travel the hole into the surface world since the hole was opened near them
-MechaG kills Wukong, which enraged Kong and he mutilates MechaG with his axe
-Monarch will be bankrupt at the end of the film for being accused of creating Mechagodzilla (alien robots?! yeah right lmao)

Godzilla: Final Awakening (2023)
(Plot under construction)
-Two factions of Xiliens are at war, one from space, one already on Earth
-They send Gigan to wage war on Earth, running into Godzilla and Mothra
-Ghidorah's corpse is revealed to have been taken by the Earth Xiliens to their secret underground base in Japan
-There will be a side plot of humans discovering the Xiliens base where they have been secretly creating: Mecha-King Ghidorah.

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (2024)
(Plot under construction)
-I originally had Destroyah as the villain, but it was way better if a vengeful King Ghidorah returns as the final boss of the MonsterVerse, as he is Godzilla's arch-nemesis
-Begins almost immediately from Final Awakening
-Kong will have a turtle shell-shield to accompany his axe
-Godzilla will die
-One of the end scenes will be Kong hanging out with his mate and son
THE END

If the studio tries to milk it further I have two more ideas for Son of Kong and Mothra II, but for now it will just end there

If you have suggestions I would love to add your ideas to my movies if I like them

I should say all of the movies above other than the last two will have a similar vibe to Godzilla (2014), which means the same color grading (only less darker) and NO FUTURISTIC TECHNOLOGIES I honestly like the realistic setting, differentiates it from other blockbuster movies with the over the top sci-fi, i know a lot of people like the technological ridiculousness of GvK but I don't

I created a wiki page for it:
https://ideas. fandom. com/wiki/MonsterVerse_(MetropolisKnight)
I've seen your wiki and it is amazing. I have a wiki for my Titanverse, though I have to warn you, some of the layouts (how the infoboxes and whole wiki looks) I coded after yours, so if you want me to change it, please tell me.

Wiki: https://bruhzillas-titanverse.fandom .com/

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

GvK and GKOTM switch places is the short version. There would be a lot of little changes to facilitate this, but that's the key thing.

Post-G14, Godzilla's status in the world is unknown and open to question despite Monarch's best efforts, and Apex's Mechagodzilla is the result of it. Kong's existence has become public as a result of Monarch being declassified and become a subject of public scrutiny. There is an open debate about the fate of Skull Island, which is believed to be in the early stages of collapse, although this is left ambiguous. Kong's move is to help explore Hollow Earth and possibly discover the origins of the titans, and there is an open question if this relates to Kong's safety. Madison and Emma are introduced here, with Emma in Mark's role as a Monarch scientist, and Madison being more interested in Godzilla as a bystander who believes he has saved humanity. Bernie is a brief gag character and she has no geeky friend. I'm not really sure how to 'fix' that part of the story for me. For obvious reasons, no connection between Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. Serizawa has a small role. Throughout the film, Godzilla and Kong's conflict is questioned as a battle for a 'King of the Monsters', which is a mistake, as they realize that battle was between Godzilla and another titan. The final battle of Godzilla and Kong vs. Mechagodzilla is more drawn out, allowing teamwork between Godzilla and Kong and more battle between Godzilla and Mechagodzilla.

GKOTM comes afterward. Madison and Emma's actions, as well as Jonah's, are informed by Apex and humanity's now in-story attempts to take greater control over the monsters and the declassification of their work. Godzilla and humanity's relationship remains severely damaged. Mark's existence and relationship with his wife and daughter feel more like a progression as we have met Emma and Madison before. Emma is being held against her will due to the Orca, but Jonah points out her research justifies what they are doing; Emma is able to be depicted as conflicted rather than as an antagonist. I don't like to make the following changes but Coleman, Stanton and Chen are removed from the film and Emma's speech also removed to keep the focus on Mark, with Graham and Serizawa inheriting some of their dialogue. This eliminates the innapropriate jokes by extension. There is obviously no oxygen destroyer, though a similar scene occurs where a pointless weapon fails to kill King Ghidorah, leading to a speech from Serizawa comparing the desire to build new weapons to Mechagodzilla and to nuclear weapons, reinforcing Godzilla's role bringing balance to nature. This eliminates Serizawa's sacrifice to save Godzilla. Rodan battles King Ghidorah during the final battle after being defeated by Mothra, and Fire Godzilla is removed. Graham, Serizawa and Emma survive. Emma and Mark's previous child did not die as a result of Godzilla. A mid-credits scene showcases directly that the monsters are restoring nature, compared to Emma's research that Jonah cited. The monsters are now an accepted part of the world. Possibly redo the score. (I liked it though.)

This feels fanfiction-y but I tried to keep my focus on how I would 'fix' existing films within the format.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Gojira18 wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 9:51 am
MrRockett wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 9:35 am I think keeping a common tonality across the movies would be first. Joe doesn't die but like Serizawa carries across the series. Brighter and slightly longer fight scenes in 2014 with more focus on Joe than Ford.

For KOTM, I would have had Mark and Joe have something of a yin and yang. One that had Godzilla save his family, the other that had Godzilla destroy his. In the end, they learn to respect one another and take over Monarch as co-directors after Serizawa's sacrifice. I'd also have Emma free Ghidorah as the only thing capable of killing Godzilla but Madison eventually realizes what she's doing. Definitely agree on the GvK one, but I'd have Madison at first have some training from G-Team and then that same team is sent to uncover MG, with Madison being the newest recruit. Keep Charles Dance, I 100% agree with.
I can dig it....Now if you wanted to get dark....Mark is notified that Madison and Emma are assumed dead because of the rampage Ghidorah and Rodan cause in Boston. Emma has essentially weaponized Madison to carry out their mission, but it goes awry because Madison releases Ghidorah prematurely. Ghidorah was a wild card they weren't sure they could control so they planned to use that as their last resort. (this better fits with releasing them one at a time.) Madison's vengeance throws the whole mission off until she overhears Jonah and Emma discussing shelter plans because they didn't anticipate such fast and extreme destruction. Emma stating "I shouldn't have used the loss of her brother to help us with this, I should have just let her be a kid but her rage and anger were too easy to exploit..." Jonah "Well it's too late now, she was the one that was rash and now we have to concern ourselves with our own survival."

Because he believes that Emma and Madison have died, Mark fights to be the one to sacrifice himself to save Godzilla. It's an emotional contrast, saving the creature you hold responsible for your son's death, to fight the monster that you think killed the rest of your family. Only to find out at the end his sacrifice, while noble wasn't necessary for the reasons he thought.

There could have been some really good layers in the Russel family
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

MrRockett wrote: ↑Wed May 31, 2023 8:15 am
Gojira18 wrote: ↑Tue May 23, 2023 9:51 am

I can dig it....Now if you wanted to get dark....Mark is notified that Madison and Emma are assumed dead because of the rampage Ghidorah and Rodan cause in Boston. Emma has essentially weaponized Madison to carry out their mission, but it goes awry because Madison releases Ghidorah prematurely. Ghidorah was a wild card they weren't sure they could control so they planned to use that as their last resort. (this better fits with releasing them one at a time.) Madison's vengeance throws the whole mission off until she overhears Jonah and Emma discussing shelter plans because they didn't anticipate such fast and extreme destruction. Emma stating "I shouldn't have used the loss of her brother to help us with this, I should have just let her be a kid but her rage and anger were too easy to exploit..." Jonah "Well it's too late now, she was the one that was rash and now we have to concern ourselves with our own survival."

Because he believes that Emma and Madison have died, Mark fights to be the one to sacrifice himself to save Godzilla. It's an emotional contrast, saving the creature you hold responsible for your son's death, to fight the monster that you think killed the rest of your family. Only to find out at the end his sacrifice, while noble wasn't necessary for the reasons he thought.

There could have been some really good layers in the Russel family
I can see that. Madison being a child soldier of sorts to Jonah and Emma. Alternatively, we could have it where Emma, after hearing Mark talk about killing Godzilla and yet never doing anything about it, decides to walk his talk and after learning about "Monster Zero", she and Jonah plan to use the Orca to wake the Titans up individually and sick Ghidorah on them one by one. However, Ghidorah proves to be the wild card as you said and releases them all at once.
Last edited by Gojira18 on Wed May 31, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Oh yes, Emma or Madison could have faced Mark and instead of saying "I'm Sorry" they could have said, "We are doing what you couldn't or worse...wouldn't do." Of course it's all hindsight, but there could have been so much more depth to that family dynamic.

Hell I'm just happy to have something to watch and discuss. I remember chat rooms being crazy over GFW and the prospect of a Banno extended U.S. short.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

MrRockett wrote: ↑Wed May 31, 2023 9:04 am Oh yes, Emma or Madison could have faced Mark and instead of saying "I'm Sorry" they could have said, "We are doing what you couldn't or worse...wouldn't do." Of course it's all hindsight, but there could have been so much more depth to that family dynamic.

Hell I'm just happy to have something to watch and discuss. I remember chat rooms being crazy over GFW and the prospect of a Banno extended U.S. short.
Also, I would've personally had Jonah and his team try to kill Madison and retrieve the Orca in Boston. Emma stays evil, Jonah kills her when she attempts to link back with them instead of reuniting with her family. Have her stay evil to the end.

For GvK, I'd also have Godzilla have several of the Titans attack the Apex facilities wherever he picks up Ghidorah's bioacoustics while Godzilla goes after Ghidorah's skull personally. I hate how that movie just ignores the other Titans in favor of just putting them back to sleep again.
Last edited by Gojira18 on Wed May 31, 2023 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Gojira18 wrote: ↑Wed May 31, 2023 9:38 am
MrRockett wrote: ↑Wed May 31, 2023 9:04 am Oh yes, Emma or Madison could have faced Mark and instead of saying "I'm Sorry" they could have said, "We are doing what you couldn't or worse...wouldn't do." Of course it's all hindsight, but there could have been so much more depth to that family dynamic.

Also, I would've personally had Jonah and his team try to kill Madison and retrieve the Orca in Boston. Emma stays evil, Jonah kills her when she attempts to link back with them instead of reuniting with her family. Have her stay evil to the end.

For GvK, I'd also have Godzilla have several of the Titans attack the Apex facilities wherever he picks up Ghidorah's bioacoustics while Godzilla goes after Ghidorah's skull personally. I hate how that movie just ignores the other Titans in favor of just putting them back to sleep again.
Even in a passing news report showing different titans attacking APEX, so it doesn't necessarily mean just Godzilla is acting up. It would lend itself to Monarch having spies in APEX instead of some blogger trying to dig up intel and sharing it with kids.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

MrRockett wrote: ↑Wed May 31, 2023 10:40 am
Gojira18 wrote: ↑Wed May 31, 2023 9:38 am

Even in a passing news report showing different titans attacking APEX, so it doesn't necessarily mean just Godzilla is acting up. It would lend itself to Monarch having spies in APEX instead of some blogger trying to dig up intel and sharing it with kids.
Doesn't even have to be all of them. It could be some of the more benevolent Titans Godzilla has a better time leading like Behemoth and Methuselah while keeping the more destructive ones like Rodan and Tiamat in check

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

LOL, we all missed the obvious call back they could have used but differently....Emma could have solved the ORCA bioacoustics problem (As Mark stated the missing piece was us) by......Implanting the control in Madison (Katsura)..... The only way to stop her from using Ghidorah to destroy the world is to somehow interrupt the connection OR kill her. Mark obviously doesn't want to kill his daughter so he figures out how to disrupt the connection. Madison is the real villain, even Jonah realizes that she's out of their control. After they figure out how they communicate to Ghidorah which causes Madison terrible pain, she watches as Ghidorah is defeated. She escapes only to resurface as the controller of MG through a different process, one that they hope can't be terminated in the same way.
She appears sweet and innocent until her true nature is revealed, when she realizes that she has a massive power, being an emotional teenager who lost her brother and has been weaponized by those around her she believes that she can run the world and destroy the titans.

GoKelley86
Samurai

Post by GoKelley86 »

I am no creative genius by any stretch of the imagination, but you give me control, here's what I would have strived for:

A 3-point plan:

1) I would have started with the intent of getting Godzilla and the Toho stable, Kong, Gamera and his co-stars, Ultraman, Daimajin, Gappa, Yonggary, Gorgo, and a few of the Harryhausen monsters (Rhedosaurus is my big one) as selections to use. I would have even gotten in touch with Hasbro and been like "Hey...can we use the Inhumanoids?". Whereever we can get monsters, I'd have tried to get permission to use them.

If I can't get all of them all because of X, Y, and Z, then so be it, but I would have started with the intent of having as many possible monster stars to use as possible. I remember hearing that when Roger Rabbit was made, they started with a checklist of the cartoon characters they wanted to use. They couldn't get them all (Popeye & Tom and Jerry didn't make it in) but they got a sizable and impressive cast of characters together from competing studios.

Godzilla and Kong would still be the top two stars, but there'd be an understanding that any of the other monster stars could be used when necessary or develop stories around using other preestablished monster stars.

Now this goal isn't solely to create the greatest monster battle royal of all time (though I wouldn't leave that option off the table). The idea is to create a world filled with these fantastic beasts and create more possibilities for stories and expanding that world. The more characters I have to work with, the more potential I have to fill up the movies and keep them interesting.

2) Work to expand the roster with new monsters: One of the appeals of the Godzilla series in my youth was waiting to see what wacky thing Godzilla was going to fight next. Because of that, I always appreciate new additions to the roster. Personally, I love the Skullcrawlers, I enjoyed the MUTOs, and while I wouldn't have minded plugging a Toho monster into the new movie, but this giant King Louie has me intrigued. I would have put a creative team together solely devoted to creating and designing new monsters to use in these new movies.

3) And this is the biggest longshot of this whole thing, but I would have worked with Jim Henson's creature shop to create the monsters. I grew up loving The Dark Crystal and the first TMNT movie and the work Henson's team did with those films is something I've always admired. So why not combine those techniques with the world of giant monsters? I know there is a mindset to do everything in CGI nowadays, but I would have wanted to have some organic element involved in the films and put something in front of the camera. Maybe that's just me being old, but I would have wanted to try it.

Would any of my ideas work or have been handled well? Well, no, because I'm not a filmmaker by any stretch of the imagination, but if you gave me control of the MonsterVerse, this is what I would have done with it.