The Importance Of Jia - Godzilla Vs Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
BiitoreinGoji94
Ronin

The Importance Of Jia - Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by BiitoreinGoji94 »

This video is very informative about sign language in media as well as Kaylee Hottle since she and her character are deaf and fluent in sign language.

SoggyNoodles2016

Re: The Importance Of Jia - Godzilla Vs Kong

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I've said it before, it makes me so happy that a disabled character who isn't lesser or treated different for being disabled is the heart of and widely considered to be the best character of a widely grossing blockbuster.

RIP Evan.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I agree with SoggyNoodles here.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Jia's great

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Far better than ‘The Predator’ or Ghostbusters 2016’s attempts at representation.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While I can only truly speculate, I have a feeling that I would not have enjoyed GvK nearly as much without Jia. I know the movie arguably sidelines any real character arches, but I think that Jia is the connective tissue that holds the film together for me. She is the reason the film has just enough heart for me not to care about lack of narrative consistently, but paradoxically provides the emotional weight needed to be invested in the film. Without her, I probably would be more dismissive of the film than I am.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I was so extremely relieved the film did not do what plenty of films looking for brownie points with a disabled character do, and have a moment where she's put in danger and can't help at all specifically because of her disability, only for someone else to help her. It just damsels the character needlessly by making them out to be more helpless than someone else, instead of just a general danger that could impact anyone.

Having the major female characters to relate to MV!Kong, especially Jia, not be the object of obsession or lust by the big ape is probably one of the best ways to use the Beauty and the Beast angle free of romance that honestly I felt held the character of King Kong back.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I don't see Jia as anything special in the movie and one of many characters that should have been focused more. Beaten only by perhaps Serizawa himself. GvK is fantastic but they definitely cut corners for the character development. Anyway I do see a lot of potential in Jia's character. Particularly her backstory with Kong which desperately needs more explaining. If you ask me it would only add to the sympathetic depth of both Jia and Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I saw this on the big screen, and one thing I’m not sure that anyone has actually pointed out is that the film uses some great sound design to show she is deaf. It never says,”OH JIA IS DEAF, DONT YOU KNOW”. It also strengthens Jias bond with Kong, because unlike the other characters in the film, she isn’t alerted to Kong’s distress by his roaring or causing a ruckus, she can tell and feel that something is up because she’s a friend.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Her and Kong's friendship was the heart of the film for me.