The Meg & Rampage - Rope Into the MonsterVerse DAM style?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

The Meg & Rampage - Rope Into the MonsterVerse DAM style?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Everyone often talks about classic films like Beast From 20,000 Fathoms getting a remake and put into the MonsterVerse, but I think a lot of people are overlooking two fairly recent (one getting an actual sequel) that were also released by WB. And it really wouldn't be too hard to rope The Meg into the MonsterVerse as is. Rampage would be a bit trickier with its actual man-made monsters, but now that we have giant robots running around, I don't think it'd be too hard to put in. So the question is simple... If the MV continues, should Rampage and The Meg get lumped into the MonsterVerse the same way Toho lumped in some of their lesser known/smaller kaiju (Manda, Baragon, Gorosaurus, and Varan namely) in DAM.

There's really nothing in the The Meg nor Rampage that really act AGAINST being in the MonsterVerse. Hell, one could even make a connection that Negan JDM's character in Rampage worked for Monarch secretly and the brother and sister had ties to Apex or worse.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: The Meg & Rampage - Rope Into the MonsterVerse DAM style?

Post by daveblackeye15 »

...Hm...can't say I'm completely against this head-cannon. I like those movies.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

The Meg is a maybe, as the abyssal trench it comes from can easily be explained away as being an entry into a flooded section of the Hollow Earth. However I'd hope they give the Meg a bit more of an interesting design instead of it essentially being a blown up great white.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

They’d have to have some retcons. People act shocked by the fact that there are giant animals when the titans were around for years at that point
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:59 pm They’d have to have some retcons. People act shocked by the fact that there are giant animals when the titans were around for years at that point
Well, to be fair, its not like the people of Boston and Hong Kong were carrying on like its another day when KoTM and GvK happened.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I feel like each of those movies have kind of framed their universe as the first appearance of such giant, unusual creatures. As such it'd be a little weird putting them into the unvierse.

That said, as a giant monster fan I would be fine with it, more so The Meg. It's just that I am not sure the general audience would want it. The Meg vs Manda? Sign me up!
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I think some people are overlooking just how unsurprised, and almost giddy, Agent Harvey Russell (whose agency was left unspecified, btw) was about the giant killer gorilla and the giant wolf.

In fact, wasn't his introductory line along the lines of, "I'm the guy they call in when science shits the bed" or something like that?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

NSZ wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:08 pm I think some people are overlooking just how unsurprised, and almost giddy, Agent Harvey Russell (whose agency was left unspecified, btw) was about the giant killer gorilla and the giant wolf.

In fact, wasn't his introductory line along the lines of, "I'm the guy they call in when science shits the bed" or something like that?
Even better: Johnson's character asks him which agency he works for, and Agent Russell replies coily that he works for "another agency" that deals specifically with this type of thing. It's very easy to interpret it as meaning Monarch.

Rampage taking place in the monsterverse has been a pet fanon of mine for years now, as technically there is nothing in either Rampage or any of the Monsterverse movies that directly contradict it. For example, Rampage never actually says that this is the first time they've seen monsters and the behavior of Agent Russell and the military suggests otherwise. Plus, it just so happens that Rampage takes place in cities and places that the Monsterverse has not touched (Los Angeles, San Diego, and Chicago). I've even written up a list of points that I think supports the idea, so roping in Rampage should be pretty easy.

I think the Meg is slightly more difficult, if only because why would people still call Jason Statham's character crazy for claiming a giant sea monster sank the submarine in the wake of the events of G14? Calling him crazy beforehand sure, but when the movie picks up people are still calling him crazy even though it would clearly be taking place years after. We can just sort of dismiss it as a plot hole, but that's a gaping one in my mind.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

NSZ wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:08 pm I think some people are overlooking just how unsurprised, and almost giddy, Agent Harvey Russell (whose agency was left unspecified, btw) was about the giant killer gorilla and the giant wolf.

Oh my God, I never thought about the Russell name. What if Negan Harvey is related to Maddie. Perhaps Jonah is MIA because he's officially on the run from Negan.

Quote of the Year:

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:14 pm

Oh my God, I never thought about the Russell name. What if Negan Harvey is related to Maddie. Perhaps Jonah is MIA because he's officially on the run from Negan.
My headcanon/fanon is that Harvey is Mark's cousin (Maddie's grandfather's brother's son). 🙂

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Nope I'm not interested in these in the MV and hope it will never happen.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:13 pm
I think the Meg is slightly more difficult, if only because why would people still call Jason Statham's character crazy for claiming a giant sea monster sank the submarine in the wake of the events of G14? Calling him crazy beforehand sure, but when the movie picks up people are still calling him crazy even though it would clearly be taking place years after. We can just sort of dismiss it as a plot hole, but that's a gaping one in my mind.
Not only is Megalodon still being alive a HUGE conspiracy theory people laugh at (yall remember the Discovery channel) but specifically, the reason Jonas is thought to be crazy is he left two of his rescue guys behind in an exploding sub because he saw something, causing Heller to label him as a coward and have a psychotic break. Specifically, unlike book Jonas who became a paleontologist, Jonas became an alcoholic shut in.

In short, the way the film frames it, it seems Jonas knowing about/telling people it was a Megalodon never happened and as far as the record goes, he had some sort of sea madness and abandoned some divers, which makes more sense.

RIP Evan.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Meg? Maybe. Polynesian folklore speaks of a shape shifting being that takes the form of a giant shark, and some titans have inspired mythological beings. However, give the big shark an update so it looks like a titan and not just a big shark.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

The Meg I was not too fond of, but Rampage in the Monsterverse? I say YES to that.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

I don't really see the need to rope in a bunch of pointless crossovers into the Monsterverse. Despite the name, I'd rather they stuck to just Godzilla and Kong- there's plenty to work with there, along with their own original creations.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D
naw man, I can see murder in his eyes dude. I swear!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

TheLastGezora wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:26 am I don't really see the need to rope in a bunch of pointless crossovers into the Monsterverse.
Because it's legit what Toho did in the Showa era.

Quote of the Year:

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

The Meg could certainly work in the Monsterverse, the Marianas trench works very well with what has already been established in KOTM/GVK, but I'm not sure about connecting it to the monsterverse proper. As the Meg novels already have a sort of interconnected story with two other Alten trilogies ontop of 7 released Meg novels, feels like it could squish their toes a bit

I would heavily prefer if all three remained separate, but wouldn't be against it if they were combined. I just think the desire to connect everyone and everything into the same universe over the past few years may not be the best as while it can open up story directions

It also limits them

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:01 am
TheLastGezora wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:26 am I don't really see the need to rope in a bunch of pointless crossovers into the Monsterverse.
Yeah, with movies they made. In fact, Ishiro Honda directed Mothra, Rodan, Varan the Unbelievable, and Frankenstein vs. Baragon, among others.

And that was back when the universe was small. It's a lot larger now.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
Im to scared to talk to my comic book store guy. I dont know why but i have this strange feeling that he is secretly plotting against me...
Most comic store owners are pretty chill. Just say hey hows it going chit chat for 5 min then ask about how the godzilla comics are. Don't be afraid to talk to them :D

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

TheLastGezora wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 am
Yeah, with movies they made.
Are you implying WB didn't produce The Meg and Rampage?

Quote of the Year:

TheLastGezora
G-Force Personnel

Post by TheLastGezora »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:23 pm
TheLastGezora wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:49 am

Yeah, with movies they made.
Are you implying WB didn't produce The Meg and Rampage?
Legendary Pictures didn't produce them, nor was the creative team behind any of the Monsterverse films involved. Reconciling the background lore, trademark and rights issues, general incongruities and such just to get a crossover between Godzilla and say, The Meg, just doesn't seem all that promising, especially when you consider that Legendary could just invent its own Shark-based kaiju and probably produce something more interesting.
Beef Bigshot wrote:
Godzillian wrote: