Mega Godzilla - What Was It?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Mega Godzilla - What Was It?

Post by Gojira1604 »

This video claims Godzilla was to have the red armor in the Hint Kong scene but that it was cut. Was it just a thing made to sell toys? Why would APEX armor Godzilla (if it even was them who did that) ? So many questions. https://youtu.be/L0AolTwv3WI

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Re: Mega Godzilla - What Was It?

Post by Excelsior »

If the source in the video is to be trusted, then the "armor" was in play as far into production as the VFX, which were apparently partly finished. I didn't notice any plot holes that would have been resolved by its presence, though. Maybe a future blu-ray will have a special feature about it.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh did anyone see the Wingard AMA? Did anyone there ask about it?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Probably just the usual toy power up unrelated to the actual movie.
He Jock it Made of Steel

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah my take has been 'just a toy.' Though I wish then that Kong had something similar to match.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

It was just a toy. There is absolutely no proof that this was ever supposed to be something in the movie other than random people online claiming to be involved with the movie claiming that it was, with no proof whatsoever. If it pops up in the art book, then I'll eat the crow...but I highly doubt it.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm Oh did anyone see the Wingard AMA? Did anyone there ask about it?
Yeah, it was asked, and dodged like every question that wasn't basically "What is your favorite thing at McDonald's?".
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'll spoiler my thoughts cuz I think about this a lot, so word vomit incoming:
Spoiler:
For one, I've said before that Playmates is pretty good for cranking out products that reflect early designs of what media they're based on.
I've also said before we don't know what the process of shaping the final version of GvK was because, asides from toy leaks, a few different-looking frames of the aircraft carrier punch, and Sayako posts on this board that (from what I've seen) line up with elements of the finished product, WB/Legendary has kept it all quiet. I think Adam Wingard has an interest in taking the credit for the final product and the surprise success it generated, and was probably happy to help retool the film (this isn't a dig, he seems like a passionate filmmaker and the success of GvK will probably be great for us going forward.) so it's not likely he's going to share any real tidbits about the process.
Tl:dr- Mega Godzilla could be an intriguing hint at the movie GvK was, or it could just be a toy.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

There's no mention of it in the Blu Ray features.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

https://twitter.com/faeriezilla/status/ ... 61986?s=20
Apparently it *was* a thing.
I’ve kept up with Richard Kao on Vimeo and Artstation for several years.
Further more, he is also listed on IMDB as an animator for MPC
Last edited by Monke on Fri May 28, 2021 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I'm pretty glad the concept was cut I don't dig it especially since Godzilla already got a power up in KOTM

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Monke wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:27 am https://twitter.com/faeriezilla/status/ ... 61986?s=20
The link doesn't work.

And frankly, as I said: unless something official pops up confirming it was actually supposed to be in the movie, I don't buy it for a second. It was a toy concept, that's all.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

Pkmatrix wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:08 am
Monke wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:27 am https://twitter.com/faeriezilla/status/ ... 61986?s=20
The link doesn't work.

And frankly, as I said: unless something official pops up confirming it was actually supposed to be in the movie, I don't buy it for a second. It was a toy concept, that's all.
Correct link just for the sake of it https://twitter.com/faeriezilla/status/ ... 61986?s=20

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

ROMG4 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:01 am I'm pretty glad the concept was cut I don't dig it especially since Godzilla already got a power up in KOTM
Yeah, I agree. An armor for Godzilla is just unnecessary for this movie, but I wouldn't mind seeing it in a future MonsterVerse film.

Also, the fact that it was cut from the film in late 2020 really makes me wonder how different Godzilla vs. Kong would've been if the COVID-19 pandemic never happened and this movie was released in 2020.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft