Should MechaGodzilla Return...?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Should MechaGodzilla Return...?

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

If there's one adversary in the franchise that generally makes a comeback right after his debut, its MechaGodzilla. 1974 to 1975, 2002 to 2003, and a near return in 1994 before being re-written into Moguera to prevent the movie from being a battle of three Godzillas. It seems natural for MechaGodzilla to make a return in another outing of the MonsterVerse, maybe in a true Godzilla 3 acting as the primary antagonist for Godzilla. Personally, while I LOVE GvK and the MG in it, I can't help but feel a bit letdown that MechaGodzilla was kinda shoe-horned in as a final boss for both to take down. He stole every scene he was in, yeah. But we all know it wasn't truly a Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla movie like he so deserves.

So it makes me wonder, am I the only one who wants to see this incarnation of MechaGodzilla return? His remains weren't 100% destroyed in the climax, and Ghidorah's skull still exists in APEX's HQ. There's no government on Earth that would let tech like that sit around. Perhaps, somehow, they'd end up having MG lead a "squad" of cybernetic Titans that combine the raw power of the Titans with mankind's tech... Gigan and Megalon as servants of MechaGodzilla in a huge, DAM-style battle between the Titans and those that wish to kill them?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Should MechaGodzilla Return...?

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Totally
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

No, it should be a one off deal.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

No GvK was pretty clear in Mechagodzilla's destruction. It would be very awkward to have it show up again in another form.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

IMO MV Mechagodzilla has served his purpose. I would rather have Moguera next. Hasn't been in *anything* since 1994, and I think he's got a lot of potential for being a Hollow Earth explorer/Titan fighter. With some anti-gravity engines and drills built in, I could see him being used in scenes reminiscent of the way he used to be able to travel through outer space.

But I do also think Gigan and Megalon should be the primary villains in the next MV Godzilla film.
Last edited by Cosbydaf on Sun May 23, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Yeah, I'd like to see Mecha-G and Ghidorah both brought back.
Monsterverse Mechagodzilla was pretty wicked, and I would definitely like to see him get more of a one-on-one with Godzilla. Plus a beefier story role than "hmm movie's gotta end, and these here character rights are about to expire..."
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mechagodzilla has been rebuild and brought back before, so it wouldn't be that far-fetched if it happened again. I am on board with him returning in the Monsterverse.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I'm fine if GVK was the end to the Ghidorah/Mechagodzilla storyline (whatever that was). I'd rather see them pull out Gigan (made from MUTO/Ghidorah/Mechagodzilla parts) or Hedorah (as an ode to Banno).

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Only if he can be repurposed into Mecha-King Ghidorah. Otherwise, I'm fine with him sitting out.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

N O no!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

While Vakanai hates fun, I think that MG should return in some form, but not fully. Maybe someone or something scraps it to build something else or to use it’s parts?
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Hell no. Have someone like... a new kaiju for Godzilla to face. That or, what I think is most logical, Gigan.
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:22 pm While Vakanai hates fun, I think that MG should return in some form, but not fully. Maybe someone or something scraps it to build something else or to use it’s parts?
I don't hate fun. I loved K:SI and liked KotM didn't I? And just thinking that I'd rather not see MechaG return doesn't mean I'm anti-fun. There's more fun things you could do than bring back that OP heap of parts.

Added in 1 minute 18 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:23 pm Hell no. Have someone like... a new kaiju for Godzilla to face. That or, what I think is most logical, Gigan.
Careful, it's been established that this is the "not fun" opinion...

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I'm a massive fan of MechaGodzilla and especially King Ghidorah but I feel that their run in the Monsterverse spotlight should come to a close. King Ghidorah caused the surface Titans to reawaken, inadvertently caused the death of Graham and Serizawa, killed Mothra, caused Skull Island's weather system to collapse and destroy it and as a byproduct is responsible for nearly all of GVK's events including Apex being able to make MechaGodzilla. I think that's a pretty big legacy in the MV even to a Ghidorah fanboy like me, and bringing Ghidorah and MechaGodzilla back when we have the huge and rich library of Godzilla's villain gallery is just foolish on both a narrative and opportunity scale. The narrative would be terrible if everything kept coming back to Ghidorah and there's no reason because we have so many other iconic monsters that would be perfect for the series

Additionally I would like to see the series return to 2014's style of handling the Titans, the mystery and ominous nature, the unknown of what to do or how their very presence could defeat the "best laid plans", and the Hollow Earth is a perfect way to do this because you can introduce so many elements now.

Godzilla Vs. Kong brought back a lot of the weight and scale that was in 2014 but lost in KOTM and I really want to see that come back

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Guess I hate fun too!

I wouldn't hate if he came back, but I'd rather see something new. New kaiju, adaptations of Toho kaiju, whatever. Just keep giving us new and cool stuff.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 11:02 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:22 pm While Vakanai hates fun, I think that MG should return in some form, but not fully. Maybe someone or something scraps it to build something else or to use it’s parts?
I don't hate fun. I loved K:SI and liked KotM didn't I? And just thinking that I'd rather not see MechaG return doesn't mean I'm anti-fun. There's more fun things you could do than bring back that OP heap of parts.

Voyager wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:23 pm Hell no. Have someone like... a new kaiju for Godzilla to face. That or, what I think is most logical, Gigan.
Note to every single user, when i say dumb shit like “Vakanai hates fun”, i’m joking :lol:

I still feel that MG, but more so Ghidorah should have a long lasting legacy in the MV that affects all of its stories in the future

Would very much rather have new kaiju appear as enemies, though
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:56 am

Note to every single user, when i say dumb poop like “Vakanai hates fun”, i’m joking :lol:
Oh I know - if it really bothered me or if I truly felt offended I'd ask you to stop. Instead I'm trying to balance a certain sort of faux-outrage mixed with legit defensive debate as I sort of feel you out and whether I want to go more jokey or serious. It's hard to read tone with text, and I've come to realize that I'm not good at conveying myself through text - my writing seems to read "harsh" when I'm neutral, and when I try to be more light and playful...people think I'm legit mocking them. So lately I've come to take a much more careful and reserved approach, and...
So I get the joke, and I was trying to kind of hint that I got it, but without joking myself, and it just came out more guarded?

To wit ~ I overthink this shit!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:38 am
Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:56 am

Note to every single user, when i say dumb poop like “Vakanai hates fun”, i’m joking :lol:
Oh I know - if it really bothered me or if I truly felt offended I'd ask you to stop. Instead I'm trying to balance a certain sort of faux-outrage mixed with legit defensive debate as I sort of feel you out and whether I want to go more jokey or serious. It's hard to read tone with text, and I've come to realize that I'm not good at conveying myself through text - my writing seems to read "harsh" when I'm neutral, and when I try to be more light and playful...people think I'm legit mocking them. So lately I've come to take a much more careful and reserved approach, and...
So I get the joke, and I was trying to kind of hint that I got it, but without joking myself, and it just came out more guarded?

To wit ~ I overthink this poop!
And I get the reverse. When I do say mean shyt people think I'm joking around and when I'm being serious they think I'm being sarcastic. Like with this post, am I being serious or sarcastic or both or am I .......making fun of you?
I'll never tell.
:shock:
NEVER.
UwU

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Monsterverse is much more limited as to how many more films can be made. Thinking of it that way, the Ghidorah/Mechagodzilla story is done. Can maybe have Gigan come into play, but need to move on and explore other Kaiju/Titans.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'm leaning towards no