What Non-Toho kaiju would you like to see in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: What Non-Toho kaiju would you like to see in the Monsterverse

Post by Vakanai »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:00 am [Pic]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/6f/49 ... da61fa.jpg[/Pic]
[Pic]https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88777 ... B3hOu2PZ1o[/Pic]
I really like the design of Durontus the Lost Serpent. He'd look neat in the Monsterverse.
Never heard of this comic book kaiju, but he looks cool and gave me something to google, thanks!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

What about Giant Phil Swift™?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:00 am Image
I really like the design of Durontus the Lost Serpent. He'd look neat in the Monsterverse.
from the look of it, I totally agree, I think it would work as a Fauna in the Hollow Earth, like a herd of these creatures

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:09 am
daveblackeye15 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:00 am [Pic]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1a/6f/49 ... da61fa.jpg[/Pic]
Never heard of this comic book kaiju, but he looks cool and gave me something to google, thanks!
Well there is only two issues so to speak covering an adventure. Not the greatest for sure but Durontos and his enemy monster that appear are pretty neat. Funded on Kickstarter. But hey I'm all for the creator during more monster stuff.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:00 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:09 am
Well there is only two issues so to speak covering an adventure. Not the greatest for sure but Durontos and his enemy monster that appear are pretty neat. Funded on Kickstarter. But hey I'm all for the creator during more monster stuff.
Still looks cool, and agreed more indie/creator stuff in this space is welcomed.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

whoops wrong thread
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon May 31, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I think Q the winged serpent could work well into the Monsterverse Image

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know if we want Non-Toho monsters, but also want some monsters to finally get Kong a legitimate rival besides the average T-Rex, why not bring in Gaw? Far as i'm concerned the book she appeared in is public domain material, she was a super big threat when she made herself known, and apparently she has the power to grow an extra head. And that's awesome.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

NickMockoviak
GPN Volunteer

Post by NickMockoviak »

The obvious answer is Gamera.

I would also like to see DaiMajin in there as well.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

NickMockoviak wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:30 pm The obvious answer is Gamera.

I'm not sure Daimajin fits what the MV is. Can you really see Legendary doing a samurai action drama for 3/4ths of the film and not have the kaiju show up and wreck things until the last 10-15 minutes?

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

I really wish Vastatosaurus would get reworked into the Monsterverse, maybe as a Hollow Earth denizen.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I would like to see more of Kong's universal gallery of monsters be added into the Monsterverse or more inspiration like how the Skullcrawlers were inspired by the lizard from 33

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:57 pm
NickMockoviak wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:30 pm The obvious answer is Gamera.

I'm not sure Daimajin fits what the MV is. Can you really see Legendary doing a samurai action drama for 3/4ths of the film and not have the kaiju show up and wreck things until the last 10-15 minutes?
Well put. I am a fan of Daimajin too but trying to fit him in the Monsterverse is going to take a lot of loops to jump through since he is established in a fantasical historical Japanese setting. Not saying it can't be done but it will be very complicated and probably just not work it in the end. You might be able to rewrite the character to be more sci-fi rather than fantasy but that would be controversial for obvious reasons.

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

I would love to see Yongary in the Monsterverse, preferably with an updated design of his 1967 appearance, or if just for the uniqueness of a parent-child duo bring in Gorgo and Ogra. I honestly feel like the Monsterverse can breathe new life into the lesser known kaiju flicks of the past

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Masterofsome01 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:03 am if just for the uniqueness of a parent-child duo bring in Gorgo and Ogra. I honestly feel like the Monsterverse can breathe new life into the lesser known kaiju flicks of the past
I would love to see them again with updated effects. I would be interested how would they be implemented into the Monsterverse. Maybe Alan Jonah has kidnapped the child and use the mother rage to destroy Britain or some city.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:26 pm Someone here keeps suggesting a Valley of Gwangi movie as a prequel/origin for Monarch, and I think that could work
That's would be me! ;)

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

As far as existing monsters, that's a tough question.

Tsuburaya, Kadokawa, Paramount, or other companies' properties are big IFs simply because of the legal logistics of making everyone happy with proposals. That makes monsters like Ultraman, Gamera, or the Cloverfield monster pretty unlikely (nothing's impossible - I just wouldn't spend too much time buying into the possibilities). Same reason we don't see big Hollywood efforts where Star Wars crosses over with Star Trek, Superman with Hulk, or Ethan Hunt with James Bond. Such things happen in comic books or other "smaller" media, but not movies at this scale.

So really we're left with properties Legendary or WB owns alongside public domain creatures like Kraken or Jormungandr. Of what WB would own, there's not much tailored to a modern blockbuster. Black Scorpian or Them! are really of their time and I don't know that an update would really make them "interesting" enough for modern audiences on more than a budget comparable to The Asylum. Personally I would take a new version of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, but I worry the average moviegoer would see a modern MV-size Rhedosaurus as too "discount Godzilla" and show little interest in it. Rhedosaurus making an appearance in a Kong movie or in Hollow Earth? Absolutely. I just don't know that it'd be able to carry a movie independently.

I've kicked around an idea for a MV-adapted version of Primal Rage, but I don't know that Warner Media owns the rights to that franchise anymore.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren