Could Jets Jaguar work in the Monsterverse?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Could Jets Jaguar work in the Monsterverse?

Poll ended at Sun May 16, 2021 8:19 pm

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 25

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: Could Jets Jaguar work in the Monsterverse?

Post by DynomikeGojira »

We got MechaGodzilla so clearly other giant robots like Jet Jaguar, Mogera and Mechanikong can work in the MV but as far as I'm concerned I rather they didn't.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I feel the perfect way for Jet Jaguar to exist in the MV is to be a prototype anti-Titan mecha made up of self-replicating nanobots created by Monarch to protect the balance of the world when Godzilla can’t

The self replicating nanobots makes JJ keep his size changing ability and also some new ones, the major one being the ability to create weapons like blades, railguns, drills, hammers, and other fancy weapons like how Iron Man’s Bleeding Egde armor does in the Comics and IW + Endgame

JJ would also be powered by HE energy, which gives his projectile attacks like rail guns and cannons the same effect/blast of Godzilla’s atomic breath and MG’s proton scream

JJ could definitely fit in a later film, especially since the technological advancement of the MV is so damn fast. Emphasis on “later films” though, since a giant humanoid robot made of self replicating nanobots is a bit more extreme than MG and the HEAV’s
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat May 15, 2021 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Nah I think exploiting the Hollow Earth energy would piss Godzilla off especially after the MechaGodzilla debacle.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:20 pm Nah I think exploiting the Hollow Earth energy would piss Godzilla off especially after the MechaGodzilla debacle.
Now that i think about it, you’re kinda right. Maybe a new energy synthesized from an organic source of HE energy? I dunno, it’s hard coming up with these things :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:12 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 am As long as he PUNCH PUNCH PUNCHes and eats sushi from a pail, I'm sure audiences will be just fine with him.
I've watched Godzilla vs Megalon. I've probably watched it a good dozen times or so. I can assure you he never ate sushi, from a pail or otherwise.

(Seriously, am I missing a meme or reference or something?)
The MST3K version of Jet Jaguar's theme song.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

He’ll only work for me if he can talk and voiced by MIB.
Spoiler:
And as he’s killing his opponent, he says,

“Don’t. Fuck. With. The Jaguar.”
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:27 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:12 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:15 am As long as he PUNCH PUNCH PUNCHes and eats sushi from a pail, I'm sure audiences will be just fine with him.
I've watched Godzilla vs Megalon. I've probably watched it a good dozen times or so. I can assure you he never ate sushi, from a pail or otherwise.

(Seriously, am I missing a meme or reference or something?)
The MST3K version of Jet Jaguar's theme song.
Yeah, I don't watch MST3K.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:10 am Yeah, I don't watch MST3K.
I've never seen GvM on MST3K, either, but the song is pretty well known and circulated in the fandom. Jetty_Jags has a line from it in his signature, for example.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:30 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 6:20 pm Nah I think exploiting the Hollow Earth energy would piss Godzilla off especially after the MechaGodzilla debacle.
Now that i think about it, you’re kinda right. Maybe a new energy synthesized from an organic source of HE energy? I dunno, it’s hard coming up with these things :lol:
Yeah I don't think Godzilla wants to lose his job to a much younger and faster robot. :lol:

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Warning Unsolicited Jet Jaguar fan opinion landing in 3... 2...

:lol:

I actually voted no, which may surprise some of you, and may not surprise others. Now my entire frame of reference is from my understanding of the current western pop-culture landscape (rather than how the monsterverse has behaved specifically), which could change depending on how certain trends continue to develop. But to keep things short (I'll try at least), any way I see the monsterverse including Jet Jaguar, is not really a way I'd be interested with the character. I believe Jet Jaguar requires a certain retention of self-awareness, and while a serious story could be done including Jet Jaguar, I think it would only work if its built around the characters quirkiness rather than opposed to it. Unfortunately this is what I think the most likely method of introducing him in the mv. Just as the weirder aspects of comic books had been muted in their film translations over the years to gain wider appeal, I think JJ would succumb the same fate. I'm really not interested in hyper-military jet jaguar, or even generic mecha JJ. As mentioned by Vakanai, the other likely route is to make Jet Jaguar the butt of a joke, and while this is closer in tone to what would need to be done imo, I think it'd come off as more mean spirited than authentic. While I do think Jet Jaguar works best as an illustration of the more outlandish side of tokusatsu (although even he is just scraping that barrel) I don't want JJ to be purely a mockery of the genre's weirdness. I easily see a mv JJ being a dig at the genre rather than a celebration of it. Now this all could change. Ultraman is getting a resurgence of popularity in the west between the netflix show, the marvel comics, and the upcoming animated movie. So maybe there is room for more acceptance of the toku hero archetype, but until then I don't think it would work out.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:13 pm -snippity snip-
I think someone like Dougherty, a person with huge appreciation for kaiju and toku, could very well make JJ work. Then again, he could also fuck it up beyond redemption :lol:

If JJ is ever introduced, they’d have to find a happy medium between real, badass robot and quirky, self aware toku hero parody just due to the nature of the MV alone

Toku heroes are definitely gonna start getting popular and more accepted, though. Tsubaraya’s expansion with Ultraman is working great so far and i can only see Ultra getting more popular from here, so i’d have hope for a good, faithful JJ adaptation :)
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sun May 16, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Well we already got Mechagodzilla so why not? Not just a Mechagodzilla but a Mechagodzilla controlled by a regenerating head of Ghidorah. The Monsterverse pulled that off and it can certainly pull off Jet Jaguar.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:30 pm
Jetty_Jags wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:13 pm -snippity snip-
I think someone like Dougherty, a person with huge appreciation for kaiju and toku, could very well make JJ work. Then again, he could also skreeonk it up beyond redemption :lol:

If JJ is ever introduced, they’d have to find a happy medium between real, badass robot and quirky, self aware toku hero parody just due to the nature of the MV alone

Toku heroes are definitely gonna start getting popular and more accepted, though. Tsubaraya’s expansion with Ultraman is working great so far and i can only see Ultra getting more popular from here, so i’d have hope for a good, faithful JJ adaptation :)
I don't know about that. Dougherty didn't exactly make a great movie last time (albeit he did a better job of it than Wingard - Dougherty failed in execution, Wingard failed in the conceptual by ditching attempts at storytelling basically outright).

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

Jet Jaguar could be a series of robots based on one model which has variants designed for different tasks, like search-and-rescue(white), fire fighting(red), and construction(yellow/black). They would be developed by some different competitor to Apex, to both try to take their place (as Apex has undoubtedly probably been prosecuted into oblivion) and also to repair the public image of the robotics industry. I could also see a single large "Titan Fighter" Jet Jaguar being developed, that could work in tandem with the other smaller robots.

The "default" Jet Jaguar design would take heavily after the original Showa design, and integrate the silver/red/blue/yellow color scheme but look a bit more refined and had a more "real-world" aesthetic. I think something along the lines of Singular Point JJ, but more refined and graceful in it's proportions. I would retain a highly humanoid likeness as the JJ design would want to emphasize the idea that "I am a good robot, I am here to help. I am NOT Mechagodzilla"
Last edited by Cosbydaf on Sun May 16, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

As far as the GA accepting the weirdness, it does need to be remembered that a dancing tree and a talking raccoon with laser guns have recently become some of the most mainstream and beloved characters around.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

He's just too goofy, in both design and abilities. I love him as much an anyone, but unless they changed him to the point that he wasn't really Jet Jaguar anymore, I can't imagine him being in a MV movie. Except maybe as a little comedy gag or cameo where he gets instantly destroyed.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Cosbydaf wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:45 pm Jet Jaguar could be a series of robots based on one model which has variants designed for different tasks, like search-and-rescue(white), fire fighting(red), and construction(yellow/black). They would be developed by some different competitor to Apex, to both try to take their place (as Apex has undoubtedly probably been prosecuted into oblivion) and also to repair the public image of the robotics industry. I could also see a single large "Titan Fighter" Jet Jaguar being developed, that could work in tandem with the other smaller robots.

The "default" Jet Jaguar design would take heavily after the original Showa design, and integrate the silver/red/blue/yellow color scheme but look a bit more refined and had a more "real-world" aesthetic. I think something along the lines of Singular Point JJ, but more refined and graceful in it's proportions. I would retain a highly humanoid likeness as the JJ design would want to emphasize the idea that "I am a good robot, I am here to help. I am NOT Mechagodzilla"
I sort of would like to see one variation that would explore the hollow earth with some weapons or items that can help Monarch

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

While I am still for seeing Jet Jaguar in the Monsterverse I think now is a poor time to do it with Singular Point bring him back. Maybe wait a few movies. Don't forget we also just had Mechagodzilla as well. So I say wait a bit to mix it up and then put it in a movie.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

This is how we get JJ to change size or make it look like he does. They build two JJ's one regular human sized one and one kaiju sized one. He'll be completely A.I without going rogue bullcrap..... He can fight humans as a hero and when the need comes he goes into his giant robot form to fight kaiju, then comes out of the mech if badly damaged and into a second lesser "Showa" version that isn't the upgraded one. Win win......and we get his damn theme song or bust.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I think people are too hung up on trying to explain the size changing. After MCU's Ant-Man, and the upcoming Shin Ultraman and Netflix's Ultraman animated movie, I think audience's will be fine with it. Just use the Hollow Earth radiation to hand wave it away.