Say Some Good And Bad Things About The MV

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Say Some Good And Bad Things About The MV

Post by Jermobooka »

I saw this in the other boards and don’t think this has ever been done for the MV, so i decided to do it myself

I’ll start—

Positive:

Monster re/designs. The designers over at Legendary are gods amongst men. They managed to make an American redesign of Godzilla thats become one of the most popular and recognizable ones. Very, very stark difference with GINO :lol:

Negative:

The disconnected stories. It’s supposed to be a cinematic universe but feels more like a series of sequels that are kinda-sorta connected by old/new characters and some throw away lines
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Say Some Good And Bad Things About The MV

Post by Gigantis »

Positives:
This is probably one of the only times we're gonna see Godzilla get a full on Hollywood makeover until some other big company tries to make their own American remake.
Most of the redesigns for the kaiju are great!
Finally got us a rematch between Godzilla and Kong
Gave us new kaiju to the Godzilla mythos after being stuck with just Ghidorah, Mothra and MG for so long.
KOTM's score

Negatives:
I still think Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla could've looked better.
Not really as tightly connected as say, the MCU
G14 isn't the best introduction.
The M.U.T.O life cycle is confusing as f

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Positives: as you said the redesign of the monsters were fantastic, they could’ve done it without love and care but they did and I congratulate them for doing
And also the world building was great specially in KotM

Cons: it didn’t have enough interesting characters, The only interesting characters were the ones that died half way through the films
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat May 01, 2021 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Pros: Worldbuilding, designs (both classic and original), sound effects, connective tissue, passion/respect for what came before and treating the kaiju as actual characters on their own right instead of just mindless monstrosities. Has my absolute favorite versions of Godzilla, Ghidorah, Rodan, Mechagodzilla and Kong to date.

Cons: Could have used better written, more fleshed out and recurring characters, underexploration of certain plot elements, connective tissue (yeah I both like and dislike it, it exists but could be more prominent and less disjointed).
Last edited by Dv-218 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'll skip cons for now. Positives though! Here we go:
  • Monsters all have personality, (even the Mutos!) which felt true to the sprit of kaiju. They really awe when framed and 'shot' in ways that highlight their scope and majesty. The kaiju also tend to toe the line between beautiful and terrifying which makes them feel like extensions of nature. (The first three moreso than GvK)
  • The scores all were pretty great.
  • Each film really has its own vibe and feels distinct from the others.
  • While the characters aren't great the actors tend to make them more enjoyable than they should be.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

KaijuCrazy02
Ronin

Post by KaijuCrazy02 »

Positives:

The monsters have their own personalities, and they're not just big dumb brutes that know nothing except destroy. We see them show emotion such as laugh, smile, frown, etc.

The re-introduced Toho monsters have amazing re-designs, and I think that the MV has handled them very well.

Gave us the long awaited rematch between Godzilla vs Kong.

Finally gave Kong a new story instead of having him get shot off the Empire State Building.

The Hollow Earth, and all of the mythos behind the titans in this universe.

The absolutely amazing KOTM score.

A lot of shots in the MV are painting material.

(I would say more, but I'm moving on to the negative)

Negatives:

Most of the fights in the MV are in the dark, and when it is in the dark, it is too dark. Particularly the Godzilla films

The fights in KOTM are all mostly obscured by some sort of element, be it never before seen torrential rainfall in a massive storm, a blizzard, or just a red hue in Rodan's scene.

Up until GvK, every time the monsters fought, it would cut to the humans almost instantly as they began (I know it cut to the humans for like 5 minutes in the Hong Kong battle during GvK, but before that it was non-stop fighting.)

How Godzilla 2014 feels like a separate film instead of starting this futuristic setting with all of the high tech in the MV.

The human characters, as much as they are shown, aren't really interesting... (I am not one of those people who bash the MV because of "bad humans," but everytime they are on screen, they are boring unless there is some type of action going on with them like a fight or something)

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

Good:

-The creature designs are all terrific
-Visual effects are among the best I've ever seen in all four films
-The sound design is incredible in all four films
-My favorite incarnation of Godzilla hands-down
-My favorite incarnation of Ghidorah hands-down
-Gorgeous cinematography in all of the films

Bad:

-The soundtracks are eh. Skull Island and GvK had very generic scores, but G14 and KotM are generally solid
-Continuity errors up the ass: pointless retcons, inconsistent creature designs, and size inconsistencies
-The scripts are generally pretty awful with the exception of G14
-The characters are generally garbage
-Kind of a petty thing, but Godzilla's head looks really stupidly small next to Kong's, and it still bothers me
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

Cons: no Anguirus
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Pros
- The Monster designs are great
- KOTM score is amazing
- Great CGI
- Sound Design is fantastic

Cons
- A lot of the Monster fights are at night, surrounded by dust, darkness, rain, storm especially in Godzilla films
- They kill off there best human characters
- They waste potential good actors and actresses
- Weak Scripts

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Positives:
- Above all else, it brought the Godzilla franchise back from the brink of near-extinction to worldwide relevance and was (partly) responsible for ushering in a new kaiju renaissance with tons of excellent new media to enjoy.
- For the most part, the redesigns of classic characters are done respectfully and magnificently.
- They were great fun (again, for the most part) to see in wide theatrical release and subsequently at G-FEST showings.

Negatives:
- Lack of a consistent vision over all films.
- Apparent apprehension towards actually wanting it to be an overarching and connected universe outside of two title characters.
- Not enough variety in the "types" of films.
- A little too eager to shift towards the more "turn-your-brain-off" mantra of filmmaking.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Positives:
The redesigns. Quite possibly my favorite Godzilla designs of all time are the MV Goji designs.
The action. They managed to get a Godzilla bigger and bulkier than Heisei, but made him as much a scrapper as Showa. The fights in the MV are really incredible.
Spectacle. Even when the CG creatures aren't trying to kill each other the MV throws some incredible images at us. I mean just look at the Hollow Earth in the latest film, holy crap that's breathtaking to look at.

Negatives:
The writing. Moreso these last two films rather than the first two. G14 had it's problems, and Skull Island did it's own thing, but both were fairly well scripted really. Since then though, it's like the writers gave up and assumed no one should take giant monster movies seriously, so they shouldn't either. The films have devolved into brainless popcorn fluff where you can just stop caring and paying attention whenever a CG critter isn't up on screen and come out just as knowledgeable as someone who watched those in-between scenes. In short, come for the monsters, stay for the monsters, what the heck is a plot?
Characters. All the interesting ones were killed off.

Added in 7 minutes 49 seconds:
Oh, here's a comparison that works here (my opinion). MV Godzilla vs Shin Godzilla in a way is similar to my view of DCEU Batman vs The Dark Knight movie/trilogy. Ben Affleck is the superior Batman, probably my favorite Batman in all live action, but The Dark Knight is clearly the movie I'd rather be watching. Likewise MV Godzilla is the better Godzilla, possibly my favorite, definitely in my top 5 of all Godzilla designs and characterizations, but Shin's just the better movie experience to return to.

Added in 6 minutes 43 seconds:
Moth wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:05 pm Cons: no Anguirus
Crap, add this to mine too. I want a MV Anguirus design so bad!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

I agree with most of the posts here but...

Pros:

More Godzilla.

Scores were all good.

Action and cinematography, effects well done.

Gave me a host of pleasant memories when KOTM came out.

King Ghidorah felt pretty metal, not gonna lie.

Made me respect Mothra.

Cons:

It exists.

It’s continuing.

It’s thematically inconsistent.

The writing is Transformers-level disjointed.

There’s no overarching theme across the movies beyond GvK.

It made Godzilla Pro-Nuclear.

2014 is a horrible introduction when looking at the other films comparatively.

Its fans.

Its white knights.

D Man 1954’s Twitter feed.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

NBG2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 amCons:

It exists.

It’s continuing.
...how are those cons?

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

NBG2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am I agree with most of the posts here but...

Cons:

It exists.

It’s continuing.

Its fans.

Its white knights.

L’mao™️

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Pros:
Great Monster design
Great sound design
really good world building
the hollow earth in general
Great reimagining of King Kong
good SFX

Cons:
The entirety of awakening jesus christ just rewrite the damn book so it lines up with everything else and has nice art and MAKE IT SO THE DAMN NAUTILUS DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A BATH TOY
Had Max Boringstein as the main writer for 2014
Made Godzilla pro-nuclear and in general a far more "heroic" character than neutral, even given his raids on APEX
lackluster human chars in 2014
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

Vakanai wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm

It exists.

It’s continuing.
...how are those cons?
How are they not? :P

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

obZen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:42 pm
NBG2 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:27 am I agree with most of the posts here but...

Cons:

It exists.

It’s continuing.

Its fans.

Its white knights.

L’mao™️
Thanks I’ll be here again whenever.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

NBG2 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:48 am
Vakanai wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm

It exists.

It’s continuing.
...how are those cons?
How are they not? :P
Because they don't do any harm or cause any wrong by existing?

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Pros:
  • Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island were relatively strong entries to the series, despite some noticeable issues.
  • The monster designs are quite simply spectacular, for the most part. Godzilla, the MUTOs, Kong, the Skull Crawlers, Rodan, etc. All really solid designs. Mothra and Ghidorah are generally awesome as well, but I have a few "nitpicks" in Cons.
  • G2014 and GKOTM both have well done and recognizable soundtracks. (With the exception of Serj Tankian. I just couldn't stand that Blue Oyster Cult cover. But this is supposed to be pros.) "Man v. Beast" is the best in K:SI.
  • The sound design in K:SI and especially G2014 easily stand out beyond the rest of the series.
  • Joe Brody, Ishirō Serizawa, Hank Marlow, Vivienne Graham (for a bit in GKOTM), Alan Jonah, Jia, and Bernie are good characters.
  • The visual effects in G2014 and K:SI are fantastic. Perhaps among the best CGI creatures in Hollywood of the past decade.
  • This is the most unique, flexible, and entertaining Kong to my knowledge. They really made him well. He's at his strongest in his debut, however. He had a real presence, and seemed far more dangerous and unpredictable, all while having a considerate, caring, and curious side to him. He might be a little too soft in GvK.
  • Godzilla was simply magnificent in 2014. Easily the most successful portrayal of him in the MonsterVerse. The most iconic scenes for this Godzilla were seen in the first movie. GKOTM had some great shots as well, but not every moment with Godzilla was exceptional.
  • The cinematography and choreography is great in the first two movies, although K:SI's combat is a bit fast. There's a real sense of scale with the monsters with the impacts, angles, and movements. The effects they have on their environments feel much more natural. (GvK has decent and entertaining choreography, but the weight and scale is clearly missing.)
Cons:
  • GvK is a weaker movie than the first two, but is still entertaining. However, GKOTM was lacking in nearly all respects, even in monster action. I'll get a lot of flak for that, but the near turn-based fight choreography bothered me. Overall, there seems to been a decline in quality and care from one film to the next. They're more like mindless popcorn movies of little substance or care for consistency. Many will disagree, but it disappointed me to see things after I was getting into the world the first two movies were building. The writing for the entire series ranges from quite alright to abysmal/stupid, I must say. It isn't consistent or well thought out, often contradictory of previous material, killing off the most interesting characters, etc. The plots for the previous two could have been far better and more linked together. They could've been toned down in scope as well. Less is more.
  • Mothra's back legs are on her abdomen, rather than her thorax, which bugs me. Ghidorah's design doesn't have enough of the "alien" aspect, and doesn't feel massive enough. Mainly due to the spindly necks; an earlier design for Ghidorah had thicker, more muscular necks. The design they ended up with looks kinda like Heisei Ghidorah crossed with Smaug to a degree, but I don't hate it. The S.H. MonsterArts Ghidorah 2019 looks better to me. Finally, Mechagodzilla's design doesn't necessarily work for me. I don't hate it, but it isn't great.
  • Godzilla's current head size. Godzilla's current eye color. Nitpicks for some others, but he hasn't looked as nice after 2014.
  • Skeletons seem to be the bane of the MonsterVerse's creature designs. 5146_ADAM doesn't match Godzilla at all, and Ghidorah's skulls are simply pathetic. With how great the designs of the creatures themselves are, it should have be relatively easy to design sensible, believable bones for them.
  • K:SI's soundtrack is mostly forgettable, along with GvK. Godzilla's theme in GvK is the only thing that stands out well enough, but it isn't anything I'd like to hear again. They aren't terrible at all, but they're just not as strong as the other two movies' soundtracks.
  • The sound design in GKOTM and GvK is of a noticeably lesser quality than the first two movies. A few examples: reusing stock sounds from 2014 (stomp sounds, the female MUTO sounds when Rodan is stabbed), using that weird "sub-bass" type explosion sound (especially the depth charges), Rodan's sound effects, amateurish splicing for the classic Toho roars for Godzilla (that never should have been done).
  • The comic books. They almost seem to build the lore further than the movies do. They also fail to stay consistent with anything established prior. The monsters in them are interesting in concept, but hit-or-miss in design and execution.
  • Stanton and Coleman were the worst human characters in the MonsterVerse as a whole. Mark Russell had some awful lines as well, but those two are consistently annoying.
  • GvK's characterization of Godzilla seems off. In almost every scene, there's something about him that isn't quite right to me. It's in the way he moves as well. TJ Storm wasn't credited here, and that could be it. Terry Rossio wrote the movie, so that's another factor.
  • Darkness and cutaways in the Godzilla titles, especially in the climactic battles. G2014 was relatively darker than other installments, easier to see in theaters, but DVD and Blu-ray copies of the movie are far too dark. You can barely see anything at all. The theatrical brightness is missing. The cutaways in the finale were well done, and still felt like part of the action. GKOTM is (not as) dark but visually obscured by particles, ice, rain, and more. Worse than 2014, even when brighter. The cutaways are just painful, and not as well done. The scene where they land pretty much between Godzilla and Ghidorah as they're fighting in Boston and look for Madison and the Orca is so stupid.
There's plenty more for pros and cons, but my list of cons is way too long here.
Last edited by MegaEvilSaurus666 on Thu May 06, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

While I unapologetically love all 4 films, The scripts need work.