Say Some Good And Bad Things About The MV

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Re: Say Some Good And Bad Things About The MV

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Another thing: Ghidorah seems too earthly. Sure, he has 3 heads, but other than that what really separates him visually from any other earthly titan, especially now that we know stuff like Amhuluk exists?
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

As much as I have whined about GvK, I will say that I liked Kong's duality. He spends most of the film as this gentle, lovable monke having sign language conversations with little girls and just wanting to go home.... and then he'll suddenly turn into a total fucking savage, casually ripping the heads off his enemies with his bare hands and chugging their bodily fluids. It surprisingly makes him feel like a real animal. Your pet cat might be the cutest, sweetest, most affectionate ball of floof on the planet, but give him a live mouse and you suddenly get a whole different picture.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:13 pm This is the most unique, flexible, and entertaining Kong to my knowledge. They really made him well. He's at his strongest in his debut, however. He had a real presence, and seemed far more dangerous and unpredictable, all while having a considerate, caring, and curious side to him. He might be a little too soft in GvK.
After watching the original Mighty Joe Young yesterday (a truly fantastic movie, by the way), I have to say, Legendary's Kong is more like Joe than he is like most renditions of King Kong, and I actually prefer that a lot. So I'm going to emphasize that he's only a little too soft in GvK. It's merely a bit. It's something to do with his movement and expression. A lot of his body language and facial expressions from K:SI aren't exactly brought over to GvK, which I think has a lot to do with the lack of Toby Kebbell's motion capture performance. He was really given a unique personality through that.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:49 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:13 pm This is the most unique, flexible, and entertaining Kong to my knowledge. They really made him well. He's at his strongest in his debut, however. He had a real presence, and seemed far more dangerous and unpredictable, all while having a considerate, caring, and curious side to him. He might be a little too soft in GvK.
After watching the original Mighty Joe Young yesterday (a truly fantastic movie, by the way), I have to say, Legendary's Kong is more like Joe than he is like most renditions of King Kong, and I actually prefer that a lot. So I'm going to emphasize that he's only a little too soft in GvK. It's merely a bit. It's something to do with his movement and expression. A lot of his body language and facial expressions from K:SI aren't exactly brought over to GvK, which I think has a lot to do with the lack of Toby Kebbell's motion capture performance. He was really given a unique personality through that.
Even in praise, MES still finds a way to criticize :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:39 pm Good: Monsters
Bad: Writing
In four words you've more eloquently expressed my opinion on this film than I have with many.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:49 pm After watching the original Mighty Joe Young yesterday (a truly fantastic movie, by the way), I have to say, Legendary's Kong is more like Joe than he is like most renditions of King Kong, and I actually prefer that a lot. So I'm going to emphasize that he's only a little too soft in GvK. It's merely a bit. It's something to do with his movement and expression. A lot of his body language and facial expressions from K:SI aren't exactly brought over to GvK, which I think has a lot to do with the lack of Toby Kebbell's motion capture performance. He was really given a unique personality through that.
Even in praise, MES still finds a way to criticize :lol:
Well, that's true. You've got me there. :lol:

I just think that there's enough noticeable changes to Kong from K:SI to GvK to consider. Just a few discrepancies here and there add up. The different sound effects, the different eye color, the way he runs on all fours, and so on simply make him seem that much different. They're miniscule on paper and seen individually, but as a whole, it's noticeable. Not terrible, but noticeable. Godzilla has the same thing going on, but it's far more apparent, so much that it's detrimental to him.

Not having consistent direction, decent writing, similar tone, or even motion capture actors (along with many other aspects) from one film to the next could kind of be a problem for the portrayal of the monsters going forward, among other things.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Reviving this thread to add a pro and con

Pro:

All 4 films are different and unique. Tonally and Aesthetically the most. The MV lets its directors make the films they want to in their own styles and lets them make their own mark on the franchise.
A bit like the Showa and Millenium eras.

Con:

GvK should’ve had more connection to KOTM. The presence of the Mothra egg deleted scene and more mention of KOTM’s events would’ve made it more cohesive.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

I adore the spectacle of the Monsterverse movies I've seen (Godzilla, Skull Island, Godzilla vs. Kong).

I'm also very glad the Monsterverse doesn't preach (i.e. no "Godzilla is the punishment on humanity for global warming!"). I prefer to draw my own allegories, desu.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

The protagonists are directly involved in the finales without harming the Anti-Humanism angle, far more so than most kaiju films. Even the greats of the genre like Heisei Gamera and GvB often had a human cast whose activity in the climax was frequently just standing around or having their own plot line. The MV was very good at ensuring the human cast did something that involved tilting the odds in the protagonist monster's favor. Be it Ford blowing up the MUTO nest and helping to get the nuke out of the city which wound up distracting the female, Weaver and the expedition firing upon and distracting the Skull Devil to allow Kong a chance to get back up, Serizawa turbo charging Godzilla and Emma distracting Ghidorah with the ORCA, and finally causing Mechagodzilla to stall up briefly and using the HEAV to revive Kong.

GvK is very 'fat free' and this hurts some of the delivery. It could have stood to keep some of the plot and elements that evidently were supposed to be in their, but got trimmed out.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Good: Having the respect not to disgrace other Toho Kaiju.
Bad: Literally everything.

On a serious note, I like the effects. They’re good. On the other hand, I don’t like the portrayals of some of the Titans (I still think that’s a dumb term).
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Good: insane amount of love and respect for the franchise
Fantastic characterization for the kaiju
Inventive designs
Consistently great imagery, cinematography and color paletes (especially in the Godzilla entries)
Fantastic supporting cast
Used the appeal of the monsters to create diverse casts.

Bad: main characters were mainly shit, the latter two films are a mess due to studio interference, unfortunate implications, wasted character beats, broke the fandom

RIP Evan.