The "Phases" of the MonsterVerse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Pkmatrix
Futurian

The "Phases" of the MonsterVerse

Post by Pkmatrix »

With there now being serious rumors and talk about the next "phase" of the MonsterVerse, I figured it might be worthwhile to toss out this thought I had:

What we're waiting on is Phase THREE, not Phase Two.

My thinking on this:

Phase 1 was just G'14. While they had the rights to more movies, all indications are that they didn't really discuss the sequels during development and Edwards envisioned G'14 as a standalone movie.

Phase 2 was actually the trilogy of K:SI, KOTM, and GvK. While K:SI started development separately, once Legendary moved the project over to WB that was the formal launch of the MonsterVerse. The writers room that was convened around then plotted out those three as a unit, and all three were announced together as such in 2015. So I think it's actually fair to separate out these three from G'14 since they were conceived of and planned out separate from the earlier film.

Which would make whatever comes next Phase 3.

Thoughts?

obZen
Interpol Agent

Re: The "Phases" of the MonsterVerse

Post by obZen »

I don’t dispute the better part of your post, but overall I’m going to have to respectfully disagree; I’m waiting on ‘phase 2’.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but I think its silly to call a single movie "phase 1" when clearly the set of movies we got, somewhat disconnected as they may be, are meant to be taken as a whole. I think if we're categorizing phases for the franchise, it makes more sense to call whatever cones after this "phase 2".
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I would like phase 3 to be:

Godzilla 3
Kong-Rodan
Godzilla vs. Cloverfield

Then do another Kong film and a Destroy All Monsters movie!
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

obZen wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:13 pm I don’t dispute the better part of your post, but overall I’m going to have to respectfully disagree; I’m waiting on ‘phase 2’.
phantomsdaydreams wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:41 pm Yeah, I get where you're coming from, but I think its silly to call a single movie "phase 1" when clearly the set of movies we got, somewhat disconnected as they may be, are meant to be taken as a whole. I think if we're categorizing phases for the franchise, it makes more sense to call whatever cones after this "phase 2".
Yeah, that's fair. I kinda figured I'd be going way against the grain on this. :lol:

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Personally I'm gonna agree with Pkmatrix in that G14 should be separated because it predates the MonsterVerse and is tonally different and had it owns plans like Gareth Edwards directing the sequel which obliviously didn't happen. Phase 3 as you put should focus on smaller stories for Godzilla and Kong that are basic and simple and provide more incite on their personality and motivations especially Godzilla. Unlikely choices a Rodan and Mothra film.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

If we're talking about what we'd like to see out of future phases it's these.

Phase 2:

Kong sequel - Basically have him explore Hollow earth and showcase more monsters and lore about ancient civilizations that worshiped monsters which in turn leads into Kong fighting off one of them. Basically use one from Kong's own roster of enemy monsters like Gaw

Godzilla 3 - It can be about the fallout of the events of Godzilla vs Kong with Humanity no longer trusting Godzilla much if at all and Monarch going out of it's way to put Godzilla back in a good light again which can lead into introducing Miki Segusa into the Monsterverse to make contact with Godzilla to aide in that. However another problem leads in the form of Biollante made by an Ex Monarch Scientist Dr Shiragami who was able to make living bio weapons for an orginazation which may or may not be Dr Jonah's group using some of Godzilla's DNA being used. It's a semi remake of Godzilla vs Biollante .

A Frankenstein movie that's based upon the unused material used for Frankenstein vs King Kong and speaking of that movie. It can also tie into the theme of bio weapons introduced in Godzilla 3 to have Frankenstein AKA Prometheus being the first successfully made human made Titan using DNA and parts from dead Titans using Kong's ancestors as a framework. Of course in classic Frankenstein fashion it goes wrong and havoc breaks loose.

Kong vs Frankenstein - It's basically the unmade Frankenstein vs King Kong movie being finally adapted.

Mothra - It can revolve her being reborn to stop Battra another member of her kind grown mad with the ecological damage afflicted.

Godzilla vs Gigan - The end of phase 2 will be about Godzilla going up against Gigan with the revelation of there being alien races being undercover for years with their own set of monsters like Gigan for example.

that's what I have for Phase 2. I may post about my ideas for Phase 3 in the future.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Pkmatrix wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:13 pm Phase 1 was just G'14. While they had the rights to more movies, all indications are that they didn't really discuss the sequels during development and Edwards envisioned G'14 as a standalone movie.

Phase 2 was actually the trilogy of K:SI, KOTM, and GvK. While K:SI started development separately, once Legendary moved the project over to WB that was the formal launch of the MonsterVerse. The writers room that was convened around then plotted out those three as a unit, and all three were announced together as such in 2015. So I think it's actually fair to separate out these three from G'14 since they were conceived of and planned out separate from the earlier film.

Which would make whatever comes next Phase 3.
I agree. I think the Monsterverse took a hard right turn starting with Kong: Skull Island and never looked back.

Consider that G14 introduced Godzilla as being from (and I quote the marketing blurbs) "a time when the surface of the Earth was over ten times more radioactive than it is today". All three creatures were called MUTOs by the military. The Art of Destruction book introduced the idea that MUTOs (and possibly Godzilla) had naturally developed various "bio-electric" powers to use against each other. But that was about it for a biology and backstory.

The concept of a prehistoric hollow earth that was the home or source for all kaiju, the re-naming of the kaiju "titans" (as opposed to MUTOs), and providing a history of ancient civilizations who lived alongside and worshipped the "titans" as gods - these were all concepts first introduced in 2016's Kong: Skull Island.

Not only is there no precedent found for these Monsterverse concepts in the 2014 film or the prequel comic Awakening, that 2014 comic is itself conspicuously missing from the Monsterverse Titanthology trade paperback collection, which I take as evidence that Legendary considers the 2014 film to be an earlier phase of the Monsterverse. I consider Godzilla (2014) to be a standalone film, and everything else that followed to be the next "phase" if not the creation of the Monsterverse itself.
Last edited by G1985 on Tue May 11, 2021 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

I’m kinda sad we didn’t get a more 2014-esque series. They had some really neat concepts that were left by the wayside. Godzilla and co.’s bioelectric powers would be so badass to see, especially if they played Ghidorah as a naturally-occurring rival to Godzilla.

The Monsterverse is cool and great, but I think 2014 was one of, if not the, best.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

This is definitely Phase 1 ending. Phase 2 I'm assuming will kick off with 2014 esque vibes. We start calm and build up to the big event again. It happens in every shared universe across TV, Film and Comics.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:32 pm This is definitely Phase 1 ending. Phase 2 I'm assuming will kick off with 2014 esque vibes. We start calm and build up to the big event again. It happens in every shared universe across TV, Film and Comics.
—which is why I think “Son Of Kong” is the perfect film to to return to the MV with.

Focus on Kong ruling the HE all while taking care of a recently hatched baby Titanus Gojira, then a Godzilla sequel, then maybe a prequel film like “Godzilla B.C.” that sets up the villain(s) and story of the final installment
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Does any other film franchise other then the MCU even use the term Phases?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

szmigiel wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:24 am Does any other film franchise other then the MCU even use the term Phases?
No but they can all easily be summer into Phases via big events. For example JL was clearly intended to end Phase 1 of the DCEU.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:19 am No but they can all easily be summer into Phases via big events. For example JL was clearly intended to end Phase 1 of the DCEU.
Ehh i think there were a couple other films that WB wanted to end the first part of the DCEU on. I don't think Justice League was meant to be the end.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

szmigiel wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:24 am Does any other film franchise other then the MCU even use the term Phases?
There aren't really many modern Cinematic Universes that get anywhere near this far to compare to, so the terminology is pretty much all invented for the MCU. The only other real comparable ones are DCEU and The Conjuring Universe, nothing else has really gotten off the ground to any real extent. And even then, The Conjuring Universe doesn't seem to use the concept of "Phases" at all and instead operates more as Main Franchise with multiple spin-offs (one movie introduces a character, that character is expanded in a spin-off, etc.) as opposed to the MonsterVerse taking a more MCU/DCEU approach with multiple franchises that build up to a crossover.

I know some people really hate making comparisons between the MV and MCU/DCEU but they really are the most comparable ones.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Fast and Furious comes to mind, the Wizarding World, The Disney Star Wars multimedia assault. Sure plenty of failed Multi film universes out their never making it out the starting gate or first trilogy.

Phases is pretty much just a term used for the MCU, plenty of other terms that can be used. Acts, Chapters, Books, etc...