Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cookson
Futurian

Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by Cookson »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollyw ... e-director

Let the rumors run wild how this will be handled.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by Moogabunga »

I'll just repeat my comment from another thread - I don't see how Adam Wingard is gonna do this when he has Face Off 2 and Thundercats already lined up.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Please let this be true.

Please let this be true.

Please let this be true.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH having Kiko (or whatever the name the little Kong turns out to be) coming this soon, if this really IS gonna be the next MV movie, feels like a weird decision. Especially since introducing a little Kong feels like it's leading up to Kong's death..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

It better feature a scene where Kong, teaching Kiko how to properly throw an axe, steps on Kiko's toes and causes him to throw the axe into a mountain.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

"Son of Kong" seems to be only one of many ideas floating about, and I find it personally unlikely that it will be the one to come out on top. Also, we have little guarantee that this'll be coming anytime soon, what with Adam Wingard gearing up to direct Face/Off 2.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well, in any case we’ll get more Monsterverse. I’d be okay with Adam Wingard coming back. Iffy on “son of Kong”. I just hope they have a lot of monster action even if there’s a kid involved.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Son of Kong is currently trending in the U.S.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Absolutely on board with Wingard returning, and I totally called that the next Kong movie would either be or be setting up for a Son of Kong story line. Considering the other projects he's lined up for, it may be a little while before we see this particular movie. I think that would probably mean the next movie is going to be a Godzilla movie, if they really want Wingard to do the next Kong movie.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Sure.

Still waiting for a MonsterVerse film to really knock my socks off - Godzilla '14 came close, as did Skull Island. Something that's not just a fun time, but rises to being a really good movie! I think a more modest subject matter, like Son of Kong, might make for a more disciplined film? The last two films have been collective remakes of Ghidorah TTHM, DAM, KK vs. G, and G vs. MechaG. I feel like it was a bit too much.

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

My biggest worry is that I’ll be be a Gareth-GodzillaSequel situation again. 2 back to back blockbuster movies for Wingard means this could be 4-5 years out

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I wonder if Toho would want a break in between GvK and the sequel to make a one off film, kind of like with Shin.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

If they do nothing with the Monsterverse for like 5 years and then come back with a "Son of Kong" film, it'll be an absolute disaster. The idea should be to build momentum and continuous hype, not let it die off for half a decade and then come back with a film I'm pretty sure not a lot of people would have interest in. And I know a lot of you really love GvK, and that's great, but I'm sorry...Adam Wingard is not worth waiting 5 years for. He's really not. Heck, based on a lot of recent interviews, it really seems this dude isn't big on character development and has this weird fixation with making his movies as short as possible - just bizarre.

*And yes I know 'Son of Kong' is not confirmed at all and is just one title that "insiders" were hearing about. For our sakes, let's hope it's not
Last edited by Moogabunga on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Nice. I previously suggested/hoped that they should bring "Little Kong" to the Monsterverse, too, so I'm happy to hear this!

Certainly not opposed to Wingard returning by any means, though I'm hoping the next film isn't quite as fast-paced. GvK was cleanly edited and worked well because of it, but it still went by way too quick. And obviously hoping they can improve upon the human characters. More emphasis on that distinct "humanity"/connection to humans that Kong has going for him could certainly help, so I hope that Jia returns! Would love to see more of her bond with Kong!

I believe Kong: Skull Island to be the best Monsterverse film, so my expectations for the next Kong film are high.
Gigantis wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:15 pm TBH having Kiko (or whatever the name the little Kong turns out to be) coming this soon, if this really IS gonna be the next MV movie, feels like a weird decision. Especially since introducing a little Kong feels like it's leading up to Kong's death..
I was hoping they would avoid killing Kong off in the Monsterverse. Been there, done that. Not saying they can't find ways to make his demise more "original", but more that it'd simply be nice to have more Kong stories that don't end in death since nearly every other one does (outside of Toho & Monsterverse films). Poor guy dies more than Uncle Ben...

That being said, introducing more members of his species doesn't necessarily suggest they're aiming to kill him off in the first place, either.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

A scene showing little Kong hiding/watching as a massive Titan(Godzilla like) passes him by(doesn’t even notice little Kong) could look absolutely beautiful.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Does Hollywood even know how babies are made?

Shouldn't they release Bride of Kong first and then Son of Kong?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Goddamnit, Minya is an infinitely better idea.
Sounds like WB :roll:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Really not interested in a ''Son of Kong'' or ''Son of Godzilla'' type film. Didn't like it when Toho did it with Godzilla and while I will try to be optimistic the premise just does not get me excited at all.

If Wingard is directing, it will be a good 3 years before this gets up an going if he is still doing face/off and Thundercats. Of course WB could always push Thundercats back and make this a priority for them.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Just because it might be Son of Kong doesn’t necessarily mean the son in question is going to be an ape.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:53 pm Does Hollywood even know how babies are made?

Shouldn't they release Bride of Kong first and then Son of Kong?
Like I said: I think what they're talking about is less literally "Son of Kong" and more about a storyline that leads to introducing Kong's son. It makes perfect sense, considering the last two "Kong 2" films both did exactly that (Son of Kong and King Kong Lives) and they already left the hanging thread of whether or not other Kongs are still living somewhere in the Hollow Earth. So the film itself may not be literally "Son of Kong", but rather may end with Kong's son being introduced since it would bring the character full circle (from a loner orphan in K:SI to having a family and being a father by the end of that movie).

Of course, let's not ignore that this is just one of several ideas being discussed. I'm very curious what discussions are being held regarding Godzilla and who they may be considering for the next Godzilla movie.

My hope for now is that we get some sort of formal announcement of the MonsterVerse's future at San Diego Comic-Con this summer. :)