Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by JAGzilla »

yogi bareass wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:07 am I just think the idea of titan children is going to get MV killed and laughed out of theaters.
I know, it's really terrifying. I mean, just look at the trail of dead franchises this concept had left in its wake. Son of Kong in 1933 was the last Kong movie ever made. Son of Godzilla ended the Showa Godzilla series in 1967. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93 one-shotted the Heisei series. Son of Blob was the death of that franchise. Have you ever heard of Frankenstein? I doubt it; Son of Frankenstein murdered that character in the '40s. The list goes on. I can't believe Legendary is even considering such a suicidal idea.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

Yeah, I gotta agree. No matter how much you might like Son of Godzilla, Kong, etc. generational hand-offs rarely work in film. And- let's be real- even if they did miraculously make a great monster movie with the concept as some are presenting- the GA would NOT care (that's if it didn't get laughed at from the get-go on premise alone). Also, it's way too early for successors just yet. We've had a solo film for both, one sequel, and a crossover. Now's the time to make good individual entries for each character at their prime!

That said...I think some people are taking the "Son of Kong" thing way too literally. I'm fairly confident in saying they don't want to re-create the disasterous 'King Kong Lives' and that any smaller Kong would just be a remnant living alone in the Hollow Earth. That I could see, wouldn't be mockworthy, and would follow with Kong's current motivations (finding a home and his/a family to call his own).

P.S- The last thing we want to flirt with is the outright camp of the Shows era and draw comparisons to some of the criticially-maligned entries that most people use to justify the kaiju genre's lack of merit. Anything more absurd than GvK right now would be a big mistake.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sat May 01, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

People like Kong now and Baby characters in films are popular right now. Son of Kong could do well box office wise which is what we need. If one movie comes out you might not like that much personally but it does well it could lead to other entries being made.

I Hate Shin Godzilla but I respect that it's success means Toho isn't done making more movies.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:33 amand Baby characters in films are popular right now.
Are they? I can't think of any other than that damn Baby Shark phenomena, and I don't think we want to go that childish.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Post by Excelsior »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:40 am
Excelsior wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:41 pm and crafted a movie with nothing but contempt for the movie goers.
What the F does this even mean?
It means that the man had the chance to make a well written, cohesive movie with intelligent characters who make reasonable choices. Instead it was a chaotic mess with inept characters who triumph through nothing but lazy writing and nonsensical tropes. The evil megacorporation whose base is easier to break into than a Wal-Mart pharmacy? Check. The plucky Scoobies whose plot armor knows no limits? Check. The goofy sidekick who is destined to save the day at the last minute via obvious character trait? Check.

They had the choice to make something good or something bad. It wasn't random luck that made the screenplay so bad, it was the result of many people making bad choices. Instead of putting the effort into the writing, they shot for the lowest bar and they hit it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:33 amand Baby characters in films are popular right now.
Are they? I can't think of any other than that damn Baby Shark phenomena, and I don't think we want to go that childish.
Baby Groot, Baby Yoda, Baby Sonic were the three big ones I knew of.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I hope it's a Kong-Rodan team up movie.

Or Destroy All Monsters.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:19 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 am
So, Groot was a baby for one film and was nobody's son, Yoda has kind of a Lone Wolf and Cub that works for a TV/streaming series like the Mandolorian and not a film, and Sonic wasn't a baby for the bulk of his movie. None of which would be similar or the model we'd have to suffer through if we get a Son of Kong. The kid won't grow up in one movie like Groot, won't just be a flashback thing like Sonic (assuming, haven't seen Sonic), and a movie is different from a series like The Mandolorian.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm
yogi bareass wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:07 am I just think the idea of titan children is going to get MV killed and laughed out of theaters.
I know, it's really terrifying. I mean, just look at the trail of dead franchises this concept had left in its wake. Son of Kong in 1933 was the last Kong movie ever made. Son of Godzilla ended the Showa Godzilla series in 1967. Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla '93 one-shotted the Heisei series. Son of Blob was the death of that franchise. Have you ever heard of Frankenstein? I doubt it; Son of Frankenstein murdered that character in the '40s. The list goes on. I can't believe Legendary is even considering such a suicidal idea.
It's truly sad how many franchises have fallen to this trope. I just looked up that "Frankenstein" thing, that book sounds really cool.

(Really though, this post made my morning, thank you :lol: )
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:16 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:32 am Are they? I can't think of any other than that damn Baby Shark phenomena, and I don't think we want to go that childish.
So, Groot was a baby for one film and was nobody's son, Yoda has kind of a Lone Wolf and Cub that works for a TV/streaming series like the Mandolorian and not a film, and Sonic wasn't a baby for the bulk of his movie. None of which would be similar or the model we'd have to suffer through if we get a Son of Kong. The kid won't grow up in one movie like Groot, won't just be a flashback thing like Sonic (assuming, haven't seen Sonic), and a movie is different from a series like The Mandolorian.
Baby Groot was only in one movie, but that doesn't change his pop culture significance. The merch, the popularity. Disney Imagineers just revealed a free walking Baby Groot animatronic to walk around Disney Parks. Heck, there is going to be an animated Baby Groot film in the next few years. As for Baby Yoda, well... I don't think I need to discuss his popularity.
People would love Baby Kong or Baby Godzilla. While I personally would rather see a Baby Godzilla, I'm excited to see Kiko get another shot at fame.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Shoopwoop17 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:28 am
JAGzilla wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 pm
It's truly sad how many franchises have fallen to this trope. I just looked up that "Frankenstein" thing, that book sounds really cool.

(Really though, this post made my morning, thank you :lol: )
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:16 am

Baby Groot was only in one movie, but that doesn't change his pop culture significance. The merch, the popularity. Disney Imagineers just revealed a free walking Baby Groot animatronic to walk around Disney Parks. Heck, there is going to be an animated Baby Groot film in the next few years. As for Baby Yoda, well... I don't think I need to discuss his popularity.
People would love Baby Kong or Baby Godzilla. While I personally would rather see a Baby Godzilla, I'm excited to see Kiko get another shot at fame.
I'm not saying it wouldn't be popular to way too many people. I'm saying, it wouldn't work for making a good movie. Sure, maybe a ton of merch would get sold and maybe social media would become even more annoying than it already is because some people love the cuteness. But personally, I don't care about merch and social media, just film quality. And it's hard to see that happening with a Son of Kong movie.

Besides, Groot/Yoda/Sonic have more cartoony wiggle room to up the adorable factor. Whereas a baby Kong is, will, a smaller Kong. Basically resembling closely a baby gorilla. There's not as much wiggle room in the design. Plus, you know, it's still a kaiju baby, so unlike those other examples it won't be tiny, which is part of the appeal. So we can't really say it'd receive the same success.

So, people might love the character, doesn't mean it'd help the film. And it's just a story I can't see being any good. I mean, the MV writers recently have kind of proven that they can't write a good script right now anyways, do we need to give them the worst route on top of that?

And is there really an announcement on a Baby Groot film or is this a guess?

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

Man this thread just shows how out of touch kaiju fans can with the general public sometimes.

If a baby Godzilla showed up I'm the first trailer for Godzilla 3 that shit would go viral instantly
Last edited by BurningCoolMan on Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

As I said before, if one film comes out that you don't like but it does well at the box office it increases the chance of you getting a film you do like. If Son of Kong did well at the box office and it lead to Godzilla vs Biollante next for example it would be worth it to me.

Also Kong needs his Son to fully become Kratos now.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

No disrespect to anyone, but I think what you're forgetting with Groot and Yoda is that these are already pre-established characters in multi-billion dollar franchises with a track record of audience favor (also, Sonic is aimed at kids). Is GvK more popular than the other 3 films? Sure. The GA didnt give a shit before though, and only marginally so now. I'm not so sure that a baby-something would translate to as much merch potential as you're thinking. It probably would go viral, yeah, but If the writing wasn't up to snuff (as it was in the aforementioned examples, and it rarely has been in the MV so far), audiences would toss it right-quick once the movie actually came out. Market leaders lead, they don't follow. It might even been seen as copying those entities by the time the movie comes out. I have little faith that the writing we've seen so far could extend to a competent film about offspring. I still say having infantalized versions of these characters is the wrong way to go, but I suppose we'll see. It could be done, sure. I can see it and would love it if it turned out great. I just hope it doesn't tank the precarious franchise with it if WB's writer's goof it up.

Side note: Both The Mandalorian and Guardians/Marvel are both critical darlings and have massive marketing pushes behind them...I don't think the MV is there yet.

Added in 5 minutes 11 seconds:
Also, just as a quick aside: supporting what you love is great and I highly encourage It, but If a movie in a franchise comes out that will shift the overall tone/direction of a series, it's fine not to see or pay for it. Godzilla movies will still be made by Toho even if the MV tanks. If I pay for a movie that makes the franchise a staight-up late Showa-fest and I don't like that, it does NOT mean a better movie I'll like more will come out afterwards at all. If it's a success, it will just say to executives that that's the direction the series should go and they'll keep putting out similar product.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sat May 01, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am Man this thread just shows how out of touch kaiju fans can with the general public sometimes.

If a baby Godzilla showed up I'm the first trailer for Godzilla 3 that poop would go viral instantly
Oh we know for a fact it'd go viral for a bit. I don't think anyone's arguing that. We're just not sold that that's such a good thing.

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm As I said before, if one film comes out that you don't like but it does well at the box office it increases the chance of you getting a film you do like. If Son of Kong did well at the box office and it lead to Godzilla vs Biollante next for example it would be worth it to me.

There's plenty of other directions they can go that could be just as profitable if not more. Unlike Godzilla with KotM, Kong hasn't had a bad MV movie yet.

And Kong isn't Kratos.

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
phantomsdaydreams wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 pm No disrespect to anyone, but I think what you're forgetting with Groot and Yoda is that these are already pre-established characters in multi-billion dollar franchises with a track record of audience favor (also, Sonic is aimed at kids). Is GvK more popular than the other 3 films? Sure. The GA didnt give a poop before though, and only marginally so now. I'm not so sure that a baby-something would translate to as much merch potential as you're thinking. It probably would go viral, yeah, but If the writing wasn't up to snuff (as it was in the aforementioned examples, and it rarely has been in the MV so far), audiences would toss it right-quick once the movie actually came out. Market leaders lead, they don't follow. It might even been seen as copying those entities by the time the movie comes out. I have little faith that the writing we've seen so far could extend to a competent film about offspring. I still say having infantalized versions of these characters is the wrong way to go, but I suppose we'll see. It could be done, sure. I can see it and would love it if it turned out great. I just hope it doesn't tank the precarious franchise with it if WB's writer's goof it up.

Side note: Both The Mandalorian and Guardians/Marvel are both critical darlings and have massive marketing pushes behind them...I don't think the MV is there yet.

Also, just as a quick aside: supporting what you love is great and I highly encourage It, but If a movie in a franchise comes out that will shift the overall tone/direction of a series, it's fine not to see or pay for it. Godzilla movies will still be made by Toho even if the MV tanks. If I pay for a movie that makes the franchise a staight-up late Showa-fest and I don't like that, it does NOT mean a better movie I'll like more will come out afterwards at all. If it's a success, it will just say to executives that that's the direction the series should go and they'll keep putting out similar product.
This. I was a fan of G14 and K:SI, but I don't care so much for the films that've come after. It went from a serious kaiju action series, to a silly turn off your brain action series that's only good when the monsters are fighting. I'm not a fan of that shift.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

I just had a thought, what if Doug isn't the Son of Godzilla but Godzilla is actually the Son of Doug?

Godzilla just grew bigger because he ate his porridge. Nuclear porridge.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:42 pm
BurningCoolMan wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:31 am Man this thread just shows how out of touch kaiju fans can with the general public sometimes.

If a baby Godzilla showed up I'm the first trailer for Godzilla 3 that poop would go viral instantly
Oh we know for a fact it'd go viral for a bit. I don't think anyone's arguing that. We're just not sold that that's such a good thing.

Added in 2 minutes 1 second:
miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:57 pm As I said before, if one film comes out that you don't like but it does well at the box office it increases the chance of you getting a film you do like. If Son of Kong did well at the box office and it lead to Godzilla vs Biollante next for example it would be worth it to me.

There's plenty of other directions they can go that could be just as profitable if not more. Unlike Godzilla with KotM, Kong hasn't had a bad MV movie yet.

And Kong isn't Kratos.

Added in 4 minutes 12 seconds:
phantomsdaydreams wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:13 pm No disrespect to anyone, but I think what you're forgetting with Groot and Yoda is that these are already pre-established characters in multi-billion dollar franchises with a track record of audience favor (also, Sonic is aimed at kids). Is GvK more popular than the other 3 films? Sure. The GA didnt give a poop before though, and only marginally so now. I'm not so sure that a baby-something would translate to as much merch potential as you're thinking. It probably would go viral, yeah, but If the writing wasn't up to snuff (as it was in the aforementioned examples, and it rarely has been in the MV so far), audiences would toss it right-quick once the movie actually came out. Market leaders lead, they don't follow. It might even been seen as copying those entities by the time the movie comes out. I have little faith that the writing we've seen so far could extend to a competent film about offspring. I still say having infantalized versions of these characters is the wrong way to go, but I suppose we'll see. It could be done, sure. I can see it and would love it if it turned out great. I just hope it doesn't tank the precarious franchise with it if WB's writer's goof it up.

This. I was a fan of G14 and K:SI, but I don't care so much for the films that've come after. It went from a serious kaiju action series, to a silly turn off your brain action series that's only good when the monsters are fighting. I'm not a fan of that shift.
It's a joke because he got a bear and an axe like Kratos.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I genuinely can't tell if some of these posts about adolescent monsters killing the series are satire or not. It'd be fine, and I'm actually pretty confident it'd help them reach an even larger audience if they can pull it off. Kong raising another of his species isn't the same as them making kind of "Monsterverse Babies" series lmao
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:12 pm I genuinely can't tell if some of these posts about adolescent monsters killing the series are satire or not. It'd be fine, and I'm actually pretty confident it'd help them reach an even larger audience if they can pull it off. Kong raising another of his species isn't the same as them making kind of "Monsterverse Babies" series lmao
Well, to each their own of the idea front. Look, I'm not trying to start a fight here. I myself admitted it "could" work and I wouldn't mind it if it were good, but I have little confidence of WB holding up their end of the bargain: providing a well-written script that could sell such an angle and/or providing an appropriate marketing push. Hopefully they hire some good writers for future entries. I think the idea of him finding another of his species is fine, but I hope that they wouldn't be too infantilized. An adolescent would be better. Again, it's how its written more than anything. I think such suggestions of each of them raising kids together or swapping or similar ideas passed around prior are just as absurd an idea, personally, and that's where most of my critique was aimed at. I'd be far more into the idea of an adventure film set amongst the Hollow Earth that happens to have an adolescent that plays into Kong's character arc. More to the point, the tonal shift the last few entries have taken should be taken into account when we're thinking about this. I do genuinely think that while GvK struck a nice balance of fun and seriousness, continuing down the path of silliness could quickly turn the franchise into farce in the eyes of the public.

I guess we'll see though. I hope they get this entry out relatively quickly. Gotta strike while that iron is hot! :) Does anyone have an guesses when this one will come out? I say 2023 is the best date we could hope for, given that they weren't sure they were even going to make another film before GvK stomped the box office.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Sat May 01, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Smuggers wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:12 pm I genuinely can't tell if some of these posts about adolescent monsters killing the series are satire or not. It'd be fine, and I'm actually pretty confident it'd help them reach an even larger audience if they can pull it off. Kong raising another of his species isn't the same as them making kind of "Monsterverse Babies" series lmao
If they can pull it off. What of recent writing in the MV would give anyone confidence that they could pull it off?
Also, I know that these cute baby characters have gone viral, but has that actually translated into more viewership, or are the people watching it already going to have watch it anyways even if not for cutesy baby character?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

It could be done well, but you can use it to mold what's next thematically. Godzilla may resent humanity a bit after the MechaG/Ghidorah stuff. I'll explain.

Kong is built around tragedy, and if they are building toward DAM, a distrustful Kong may be at play. So let Kong find a female of his kind that distrust humanity. Kong has a hard time deciding between her and Jia. Another protagonist could be at play, and we watch the months of Kong and his lady journey through HE. She does have a child early on, but new protagonist is betrayed by a friend by releasing a synthetic or cyborg threat at the Kongs to harvest material. Betrayal could be the theme and of course it resonates with Kong since he saw his family killed.