Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Re: Adam Wingard in talks to direct next Monsterverse film - Son of Kong?

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Dv-218 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:44 am Godzilla 2014: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

KOTM: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

GvK: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

Either I am missing something or stuff got lost in translation, but aside from Kong being a literal obstacle to Godzilla's main goal that was not supposed to be out of SI I fail to see this supposed "bastardization" of his character.
Exactly so I'm not understanding what people are upset about? Godzilla is the backbone of the movie while Kong is the heart. Just because Godzilla isn't in every scene doesn't mean his role is diminished any less. The whole events of movie started BECAUSE of Godzilla. He was the driving force.

If we're going down this path does that mean half the Toho movies aren't Godzilla movies since he isnt the main focus?

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:09 am
Dv-218 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:44 am Godzilla 2014: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

KOTM: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

GvK: Senses threat, goes out of his way to eliminate it, goes back to his business when it is done.

Either I am missing something or stuff got lost in translation, but aside from Kong being a literal obstacle to Godzilla's main goal that was not supposed to be out of SI I fail to see this supposed "bastardization" of his character.
Exactly so I'm not understanding what people are upset about? Godzilla is the backbone of the movie while Kong is the heart. Just because Godzilla isn't in every scene doesn't mean his role is diminished any less. The whole events of movie started BECAUSE of Godzilla. He was the driving force.

If we're going down this path does that mean half the Toho movies aren't Godzilla movies since he isnt the main focus?
Exactly this thank you!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I’m actually glad it’s looking like they’ll be slowing down a bit with ‘Son of Kong’. Like I said it gives room for the universe to breathe a bit. We just had back to back crazy movies, one with the main Toho characters and another with the two most popular monsters ever battling. Take a step back.. let the universe breathe but deliver a fun executed movie.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

gridiron_kaiju wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:40 am
Excelsior wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:41 pm and crafted a movie with nothing but contempt for the movie goers.
What the F does this even mean?
L’mao — this totally reminds me of someone else on these boards...

another alias?
Last edited by obZen on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

Cookson wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:26 am I’m actually glad it’s looking like they’ll be slowing down a bit with ‘Son of Kong’. Like I said it gives room for the universe to breathe a bit. We just had back to back crazy movies, one with the main Toho characters and another with the two most popular monsters ever battling. Take a step back.. let the universe breathe but deliver a fun executed movie.
Also, keeps the budget low on the next film. Shoot in the G14-Rampage range for the next few films.

Hell, even the next MonsterVerse Godzilla film stick low with the budget as much as possible. Keep it contained & intimate. That's why something tragic/horror with Biolantte as the "villain" would be ideal for the next MV Godzilla film.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

So does anyone else think that means Kong is gonna die if we get Son of Kong? I hope not but that is the perfect setup for that.

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I doubt it, personally — Kong probably won’t die until at least after he and Godzilla share the screen again.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Kongs death leading to a villain “Son of Kong” could be interesting. It absolutely sounds like the Kong species were complete assholes in the past according to reading material.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Zasraniec wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:20 pm So does anyone else think that means Kong is gonna die if we get Son of Kong? I hope not but that is the perfect setup for that.
Nah, to early... It will only be Kong's 3rd film and we just got attached to Kong. Killing him off now would be a massive blow to the Monsterverse. If he does die he will die in the 6th and potential final entry of the Monsterverse which seems to be going for a Destroy all Monsters film.

Jacaijuzilladeava
Ronin

Post by Jacaijuzilladeava »

I personally think that they should just make a film about Kong establishing his domain in the HE, similar to how Godzilla in KOTM had to establish his rule as King, maybe finally giving him the title of KING Kong.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

It would be really unwise to kill Kong off when we're just starting to learn more about his character history. If they're going to kill Kong off, it'll probably be in a Destroy All Monsters-type movie. Have him go out in a heroic way or via a sacrifice.

Besides, this is just a concept they were floating around. No guarantee it'll see the light of day.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

KasZilla
Yojimbo

Post by KasZilla »

I'm tired of Legendary, I'm ready for a toho movie.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:26 am I’m actually glad it’s looking like they’ll be slowing down a bit with ‘Son of Kong’. Like I said it gives room for the universe to breathe a bit. We just had back to back crazy movies, one with the main Toho characters and another with the two most popular monsters ever battling. Take a step back.. let the universe breathe but deliver a fun executed movie.
They can let the universe breathe without introducing the cliche "Son of" trope to the franchise.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:54 pm
They can let the universe breathe without introducing the cliche "Son of" trope to the franchise.
Is it really a cliche when both Kong and Godzilla pretty much invented "the cliche"? And it's not like the rest of the Monsterverse has been exactly original. :lol:

One thing I really want in Son of Kong is more Hollow Earth and elaboration of everything. I liked the Warbats in Godzilla vs. Kong, but I felt like we could use more of them. Not sure if anyone else saw this, but originally the two monsters had different designs and abilities. Nozuki had a cooler design than the Warbat. I liked the scene with the Warbats in Godzilla vs. Kong, but it felt too brief for such really cool and awesome designs. I want to see more of them!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:59 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:54 pm
Is it really a cliche when both Kong and Godzilla pretty much invented "the cliche"? And it's not like the rest of the Monsterverse has been exactly original. :lol:

One thing I really want in Son of Kong is more Hollow Earth and elaboration of everything. I liked the Warbats in Godzilla vs. Kong, but I felt like we could use more of them. Not sure if anyone else saw this, but originally the two monsters had different designs and abilities. Nozuki had a cooler design than the Warbat. I liked the scene with the Warbats in Godzilla vs. Kong, but it felt too brief for such really cool and awesome designs. I want to see more of them!
Yes. Doesn't matter that Son of Kong started it, is has since become a cliche, same as Kong dying has since become cliche. That said, the cliche wasn't the important bit. The important bit was that I just really, really don't want to see it done again. At least Son of Kong had the benefit of Kong being dead before we met the Son. Seeing the whole father/son thing with these monsters is just soooooo lame and uninteresting to me. I hope that this idea is the one they decide to reject.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 pmAt least Son of Kong had the benefit of Kong being dead before we met the Son. Seeing the whole father/son thing with these monsters is just soooooo lame and uninteresting to me. I hope that this idea is the one they decide to reject.
I thought this way at first before thinking about it a lot, but I don't think so. Son of Godzilla is a really fun film, that has a lot of fun moments with Godzilla interacting with Minya. It also still has time to have some fun monster action and tense moments. Kong is more emotive than Godzilla so it makes a lot of sense to have Kong be expressive. On top of that, Kong Skull Island and Godzilla vs. Kong as well as the comics all focus heavily about Kong's parents being dead, and they don't really do much with it. This is a good time to flesh that out and finally give Kong a win. It also doesn't mean Kong has to die, or that we can't have some big fun monster action.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:23 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:08 pmAt least Son of Kong had the benefit of Kong being dead before we met the Son. Seeing the whole father/son thing with these monsters is just soooooo lame and uninteresting to me. I hope that this idea is the one they decide to reject.
I thought this way at first before thinking about it a lot, but I don't think so. Son of Godzilla is a really fun film, that has a lot of fun moments with Godzilla interacting with Minya. It also still has time to have some fun monster action and tense moments. Kong is more emotive than Godzilla so it makes a lot of sense to have Kong be expressive. On top of that, Kong Skull Island and Godzilla vs. Kong as well as the comics all focus heavily about Kong's parents being dead, and they don't really do much with it. This is a good time to flesh that out and finally give Kong a win. It also doesn't mean Kong has to die, or that we can't have some big fun monster action.
We'll just have to disagree then. There is zero chance of a "Son of" picture that doesn't devolve to imperiling the monster child so the father has to save the infant. You can just as easily find a more interesting (subjective opinion of course) way of driving the action. And once you introduce a kid, you're stuck with it for all the sequels, and I'd rather not be saddled with such a character in the franchise going forward - would be best saved for a final film so we don't have to worry about how it'll fit going forward. And ultimately, seeing Kong spending time parenting is just never going to interest me. So that's asking for millions of dollars of CG being spent on scenes that I'll personally just glaze over for until the film gets back to something more interesting, whether it's a character or a story/plot point or a bit of action. But juvenile kaiju is just something I view myself having to patiently wait to get through, rather than anything I'd be happy to follow along with.

It also doesn't help that I've hated DC giving Batman and Superman both sons, so another franchise I love going in the same direction is just never going to get me onboard with it as anything other than a bad idea. I've had more negative experiences with this "Son of" concept and premise in media more than positive. Maybe it's because I'm not a parent, I don't have kids. So maybe this idea really, really appeals to people who are parents and see themselves in it. But for me, it just doesn't offer anything. I'd rather they spend that time and money developing other plots and on other characterization.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

There will still be Titans. Large Titans. I feel people are upset about this because it’s not a Godzilla film.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:14 am There will still be Titans. Large Titans. I feel people are upset about this because it’s not a Godzilla film.
People are upset? Why, it still has Kong.
Now if they did a film about a Titan that's not Godzilla nor Kong, they should be upset. I don't care for the idea of some original character getting a film without one of the Toho kaiju or Kong. But if the title getting thrown around is Son of Kong, doesn't look like there's a problem.

yogi bareass
Samurai

Post by yogi bareass »

Cookson wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:14 am There will still be Titans. Large Titans. I feel people are upset about this because it’s not a Godzilla film.
Nah that doesn't bother me at all. I actually think the next logical step in the MV is a Kong movie; I would love to see him in the hollow earth and fight a new enemy there. I personally think the hollow earth is a gold mine for this universe and doing a hypothetical Son of Kong movie is pretty underwhelming, To me anyway. I just think the idea of titan children is going to get MV killed and laughed out of theaters.