New Monsterverse Godzilla or Toho Godzilla next?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cookson
Futurian

New Monsterverse Godzilla or Toho Godzilla next?

Post by Cookson »

What do you think will be the next live action Godzilla? A MV film or Toho film? I think Toho has been waiting patiently to start their “World of Godzilla” verse of movies. I’m leaning heavily that way. It’s possible a Monsterverse film might be released first as a Kong film, but I believe a live action Godzilla film by Toho is due up next.

Note: This isn’t a what do you want next question, rather it’s what does your gut say?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: New Monsterverse Godzilla or Toho Godzilla next?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

It Really depends on how fast legendary or Toho production goes

dillonking55
G-Force Personnel

Post by dillonking55 »

I thought it was confirmed awhile ago that the "World of Godzilla" was more of a Toho marketing thing than Toho actually doing a cinematic universe.

Plus, unless they go back to low budget/suitmation stuff, I don't think Toho has the budget to do a proper cinematic universe like the MonsterVerse.

I feel they could achieve that better with animation like SP & maybe do more live action one-offs like Shin & let Hollywood do the cinematic universe thing with the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

TBH i think the next MonsterVerse movie will be a Kong film, showing his adventures in the Hollow Earth. If that's the case, that should give Toho enough time to make their own movie (we're talking about a good 4 or so year gap between GVK and Godzilla 3) without Legendary's interference.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Given the success of GVK, I'd say there's a chance Toho just might wait until the 2030's, or whenever Legendary's rights expires.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I don’t know but given how Toho has been doing with Godzilla in recent years I hope it’s legendary
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Too soon to say ngl, I'd wait for a more concrete hint from either to build my expectations upon that. Ideally consider me in the "why not both" fraction, the more Godzilla the merrier :lol:
I do think that if there will be a new MV film it'll likely be a Kong one.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Considering that Toho has been consistently and repeatedly annoying me with their takes on Godzilla over the past five years... more Monsterverse Godzilla. More Monsterverse Godzilla, please.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Suspecting it'll be a Toho Godzilla next. Can't help but feel they've been itching to do their own thing ever since the overwhelming success of Shin Godzilla.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

I'm of the opinion that they'll probably try at least one or two more Monsterverse movies if they're allowed to do so (though I don't think they'll roll the dice with back-to-back filming of sequels again) and I think Toho will allow it. It would make sense to give them a breather with a Kong sequel first too if Toho really wanted to make another live-action take of their own. I think they're fairly content to keep the gravy train rolling though, and it will likely only make another standalone live-action movie (mostly to cash out on the goodwill from Shin and the ensuing kaiju boom and likely using another auteur director for clout/marketing puposes) and then go back to making anime movies/TV and other ancillary products and merchandise. Easy money, after all, is Toho raison d'etre.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

ConvergeTakedown
Ronin

Post by ConvergeTakedown »

phantomsdaydreams wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 am I'm of the opinion that they'll probably try at least one or two more Monsterverse movies if they're allowed to do so
For a second, I misread this as saying Toho would make a Monsterverse installment of their own. :lol:

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

With a new Monsterverse Kong film looking to be happening, I’m thinking a Toho Godzilla film will happen first.
Last edited by Cookson on Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:55 pm I don’t know but given how Toho has been doing with Godzilla in recent years I hope it’s legendary
I haven't had much problem with Toho's direction its clearly been working and quite successful in Japan, he's been revived there in a capacity that hasn't been seen since the 90s. The only real stumble they've had has been the Anime trilogy, aside from that Shin Godzilla and from what I hear Singular Point are pretty awesome

As for me I'd be super happy with either though I think a Toho one could be likely if Legendary does go with a Kong movie first

Speaking of which Legendary really needs to improve their movie development pipeworks, they take way too long to come out with a sequel and really miss the iron considerably. You can do this with a movie that has big recognition like Jurassic Park but for a cinematic universe in the making releases have to be consistent. Now I'm not saying they should rush them at all that would be the worst thing, but 4-5 year gaps are not the best

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ROMG4 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 pm Speaking of which Legendary really needs to improve their movie development pipeworks, they take way too long to come out with a sequel and really miss the iron considerably. You can do this with a movie that has big recognition like Jurassic Park but for a cinematic universe in the making releases have to be consistent. Now I'm not saying they should rush them at all that would be the worst thing, but 4-5 year gaps are not the best
Agreed.

Ideally, they should be aiming to get the next MV movie - whatever it ends up being - in theaters by 2024. 2023 would be even better, but two years might be asking for too much so aiming for Spring 2024 should work. I'm very curious to see what they end up announcing. A second trilogy (a Kong sequel, a Godzilla sequel, and a GvK sequel) would make a lot of sense (everybody loves trilogies, after all).

I'm also still of the opinion that they need to look at smaller budgets. GvK did a lot despite being the cheapest and shortest of the MV movies so far. Rampage shows you can do a ton with an even smaller budget.
Last edited by Pkmatrix on Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Seems like the monsterversus coming first because of rumors of a new movie coming out but that’s in speculation and it’s in the talks so they’re just throwing ideas I think

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

100% Legendary.

Toho's CGI borders on embarrassing. There's no reason for two companies to split focus on two versions of Godzilla. Let the one with the most and best resources do Godzilla and let Toho take money from that pot seeing as it's their property. Win-win. This is the best Godzilla has ever been, in every way.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I have a feeling that the Monsterverse is done for the moment, and we'll be getting another Toho film next. It's about time they did something to continue what Shin started.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I think a live action Toho film will come out first. I get the sense they've been wanting to strike/follow up with another Godzilla film ever since Shin did so well (whether the next film is a sequel or not), and Toho can crank a film out faster than Hollywood can. So yeah, there's a few things to suggest the next live action Godzilla we night see is gonna be Toho.

Unrelated, but I'd also rather see a Toho Godzilla too. I like the MV Godzilla, but those films have decided to go full MCU but with worse plot and human characters, so basically I expect a MV Godzilla movie to be a fun but forgettable popcorn action movie. Just turn off your brain and enjoy the CGI slugfest. Whereas with a Toho film turning off my brain might not feel like such a prerequisite. And I'm just kind of more interested in a Godzilla film with better plot and characterization right now than something that's just pure spectacle and action.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Toho will not give up to produce their own Godzilla movies. Shin earned massive profit for Toho. Probably much more than sum of Toho's share from G14 and KotM.

There has been news recently that Netflix is going to work very closely with Toho and will co-produce not only animations like they have done so far, but something live-action contents from now too.

This also means that their CGI quality might get better by Netflix' investment in budget.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/netflix-le ... 234716391/

This doesn't mean the end or hiatus of MV Godzilla movies. Toho movies and MV movies can always coexist. Toho movies mostly target for their local market only. No competition or confusion will be occurred.

Monster movies usually take so long time in pre- and post productions. Like Shin was popped up between G14 and KotM, several Toho movies can be filled in gaps between future MV Godzilla movies.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

vastatosaurus wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:46 am Toho will not give up to produce their own Godzilla movies. Shin earned massive profit for Toho. Probably much more than sum of Toho's share from G14 and KotM.

Oh yeah? Do you have any stats you can reference on the Shin profits vs royalties from Legendary?

Also, Shin’s success in Japan is going to be difficult to surpass.