Hollow Earth continuity error?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Cookson
Futurian

Hollow Earth continuity error?

Post by Cookson »

So Godzillas lair in KotM was presumably in the Hollow Earth and was described as tunnels. In GvK, the Hollow Earth is actually a whole world.

Is this a continuity error or can it be explained?
Last edited by Cookson on Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Hollow Earth continuity error?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I wouldn't say it's a continuity error, more like a bit of hollow earth poking into the seafloor.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

The hollow earth likely has its very own ocean (Given the Leviathan and Tiamat as well as normal prehistoric marine reptiles seen in Dominion) so Godzilla probably swam through that and went into another tunnel.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TriassicTerror
Samurai

Post by TriassicTerror »

My interpretation is that the Hollow Earth splinters into tunnels and chambers closer to the surface. What we saw in GvK is the main chamber but Godzilla's lair in KoTM was one of the smaller offshoots.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I think it makes a lot of sense that the Hollow Earth is filled with layers, pockets, and other such entrances afterall look at natural cave systems and the absurd amount of tunnels and crevices that comprise them. Now if you were to expand that into a space that could be as large as the surface of the Earth you could get some pretty insane places. There's a great difference between the heart of the cave and its outlining tunnels but its still the same cave

I don't think its a continuity error at all

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I think the prequel novel to GvK said something about Godzilla changing lairs because he was chased out by a bunch of Kong's species or something like that. Haven't read it in a while so maybe someone can explain it better.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

There's evidence that KOTM/GvK were made separately, and as a result there will be some minor continuity issues/things that won't add up.

My interpretation is that when they go through the "vortex" in KOTM they are entering the Hollow Earth. However, another interpretation is that they are just outside the Hollow Earth, and not in the Hollow Earth proper. Based on what we see in the films, humans were down in "Godzilla's lair" and these same humans are referenced in the other Godzilla graphic novels. I think it's more likely that Godzilla's lair is partway through the Hollow Earth Tunnels, or just outside. There's also a massive tunnel system, such as where the skull crawlers come from, and what Godzilla uses to travel.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I wonder if you can get to the “proper” Hollow Earth through Godzilla’s lair.

Now that I think about it more... the whole “space travel” looking scene getting to the Hollow Earth from Antarctica is pretty silly. Godzilla atomic breathed strait there... so why is there some weird black hole thing in Antarctica?

Tunnels in the ocean and underground leading to the Hollow Earth would be good enough.
Last edited by Cookson on Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Cookson wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:12 pm I wonder if you can get to the “proper” Hollow Earth through Godzilla’s lair.

Now that I think about it more... the whole “space travel” looking scene getting to the Hollow Earth from Antarctica is pretty silly. Godzilla atomic breathed strait there... so why is there some weird black hole thing in Antarctica?

Tunnels in the ocean and underground leading to the Hollow Earth would be good enough.
It's some gravity shit

You can travel into HE proper....but the inversion in gravity is like having two planets play tug of war with you.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Showzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:37 pm You can travel into HE proper....but the inversion in gravity is like having two planets play tug of war with you.
The confusing part is that if the sub in KOTM went through that or not when they go through the portal into Godzilla's lair. I feel like a sub, and underwater and that would be able to survive, but the pressure would change and kill everyone pretty much instantly.

I think at this point we should just remember the MST3K Mantra,"If you're wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts, just think to yourself this is just a show movie about a giant ape fighting a giant amphibious reptile monster thing, you should really just relax".
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Regarding the butthole portal, the real world explanation is that Adam Wingard wanted a scene based on robotripping (no joke)
Not too far off either
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:38 pm Regarding the butthole portal, the real world explanation is that Adam Wingard wanted a scene based on robotripping (no joke)
Not too far off either
That’s my point... seems kinda pointless. I mean... Godzilla shot strait to the Hollow Earth no portal involved.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I just took it as Godzilla's lair was in a tunnel and they weren't quite to the Hollow Earth. So certainly very very close and a good reason to want to go deeper with all the signs of civilization but not quite there.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Same as everyone I just took it as a distanced, closer to the surface pocket rather than the main centre itself. Not really a contradiction seeing how both the film and the novelization mention the passageways and resting places that Godzilla uses as connected tunnels.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:15 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:37 pm You can travel into HE proper....but the inversion in gravity is like having two planets play tug of war with you.
The confusing part is that if the sub in KOTM went through that or not when they go through the portal into Godzilla's lair. I feel like a sub, and underwater and that would be able to survive, but the pressure would change and kill everyone pretty much instantly.

I think at this point we should just remember the MST3K Mantra,"If you're wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts, just think to yourself this is just a show movie about a giant ape fighting a giant amphibious reptile monster thing, you should really just relax".
Probably not hollow earth proper