The Director has spoken - Who Won in Godzilla v. Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

The Director has spoken - Who Won in Godzilla v. Kong

Post by MorgolKing »

I think almost everybody understood who won in the movie, but I was surprised by the small but vocal number of people who claimed there was a debate as to who won.

Well Adam Wingard definitely put everything to rest during the Reddit AMA today:

"Godzilla def won. He killed Kong. Kong was revived. I consider the Mecha battle was outside of that. As they say: Godzilla won the fight, Kong won the movie."

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... ?context=3

Another great quote from the AMA, which I thinks corroborates that Godzilla could have ended Kong earlier if he had wanted to:

"Godzilla is just so pissed off at the end that he goes full on animalistic on Kong. I think more than anything his ego got bruised when Kong slugged him in the face with that axe and he was just ready to end it. Our first Vfx test shot was the big moment of Godzilla climbing up on the aircraft carrier before Kong punches him and G has an animalistic crawling quality there as well. I remember the line producer Eric McLeod telling me he thought it was really cool to see Godzilla getting more primal like that and it stuck with me. We knew we wanted to see him get down and dirty from that point onward." (Emphasis added)
Last edited by MorgolKing on Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Re: The Director has spoken - Who Won in Godzilla v. Kong

Post by Handsome Shrek »

I don't know why the hell fans needed the director's confirmation who won. They fought, Kong clearly lost. Simple as that. Clear as day.

More completely mystifying thoughts from the fanbase
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I genuinely don't get how this is something that needed a confirmation. The movie was, like, the definition of abundantly clear on the matter :lol:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

No skreeonking poop.

The fact the movie shows who actually won is even a debate was pointless to begin with.

But then again this the same fandom who concluded the 1962 fight was a draw despite Toho stating otherwise as well as King Kong being the one that surfaces. :roll: The denial of this fandom sometimes...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Eh that what happens when you have a definite winner what's really interesting is that Legendary and Adam wanted Godzilla to win from the start. I'm happy as hell

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

Kong was a warrior but he got brutalized.

There were basically four different times Godzilla could have killed him.

1.After he knocked him down on the aircraft carrier he was about to blast him. Kong only got up because the fighter jets distracted Godzilla by shooting him in the back.

2.He was about to drown him.

3.If his aim was just slightly closer he could have one shot Kong from above Hong Kong with the Hollow Earth tunneling blast.

4.With the chest stomp Kong was at his complete mercy.

Knocked down multiple times. Nearly killed multiple times. Tossed several blocks. Left arm dislocated. Pounce slapped. Chest carved up. Sternum and ribs fractured or at least bruised badly by the foot stomps.

This was as brutal a beatdown I've ever seen a protagonist take.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Kinda funny how Godzilla fans were the ones who questioned ‘62’s results, and now it’s the Kong fans who question GvK’s results. There’s a lot of Deja vu with this movie, I swear.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:30 pm Kinda funny how Godzilla fans were the ones who questioned ‘62’s results, and now it’s the Kong fans who question GvK’s results. There’s a lot of Deja vu with this movie, I swear.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:06 pm No skreeonking poop.

The fact the movie shows who actually won is even a debate was pointless to begin with.

But then again this the same fandom who concluded the 1962 fight was a draw despite Toho stating otherwise as well as King Kong being the one that surfaces. :roll: The denial of this fandom sometimes...
Not even remotely comparable.

An offscreen victory is never a definite victory because it brings up questions of what happened offscreen.

Not only did Toho have to state in a press release that a victor even existed they then in later sources called the same fight a draw. Making the waters even murkier than they already were.

This was a definitive victory. Anyone who says otherwise is in outright denial.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

CosmicComet wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:15 pm
Dynomy-DX wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:30 pm Kinda funny how Godzilla fans were the ones who questioned ‘62’s results, and now it’s the Kong fans who question GvK’s results. There’s a lot of Deja vu with this movie, I swear.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:06 pm No skreeonking poop.

Not even remotely comparable.

An offscreen victory is never a definite victory because it brings up questions of what happened offscreen.

Not only did Toho have to state in a press release that a victor even existed they then in later sources called the same fight a draw. Making the waters even murkier than they already were.

This was a definitive victory. Anyone who says otherwise is in outright denial.
Never said 62 had clear results. But the consensus is either Kong or Draw, with some fans sticking by Godzilla winning since his domain is the sea. Just that now we got undisputed proof that Godzilla won.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

It is pretty crazy - if you go through the movie discussion thread you'll see questions about "who won" or if the winner changed due to the fight with MechaG. I was shocked any one had to ask.

In fact, I felt sorry for Kong fans to an extent. As pointed out above, Godzilla had him dead to rights several times, and Kong needed help constantly from humans to stay alive throughout the movie, even when fighting the flying snake in Hollow Earth.
Last edited by MorgolKing on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It's amusing that the people who are stating emphatically that Godzilla has won, are largely and overwhelmingly just regurgitating an already solved issue as though there's some secret "Kong Army". The amount of people who are overreacting vastly outweigh the actual amount of people who believe Kong won. Okay, Godzilla won. Great, I don't think anyone is in a big disagreement at this point, and fyi this is exactly why I made the original who won thread, to prevent this type of "SEE GODZILLA WON" stuff from spreading throughout the forum.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Godzilla bites through Kong's neck and decapitates him. He then throws the head in the air followed by the axe. The axe embeds itself into the skull and against a building. Godzilla spits fire at the axe to make it charge up and vaporize Kong's head to ashes.

See!? Kong totally won!
How!? His head is completely gone!
Well maybe but Kong made Godzilla use the ancient axe therefore Kong really one the fight.

Yeah either these people are in the minority or just totally trolling.

A co-worker that isn't super into monster movies saw it and loved it, even admitting he was rather upset that Kong lost the grudge match. I comforted him by pointing out that hey Godzilla was getting whupped by Mechagodzilla and Kong got to kill MechaG then got his happy ending. Also that him being upset meant he cared and that there were stakes. I sent him a clip of Gamera Guardian of the Universe and he says he'll try to watch it this weekend. Hopefully he likes it...and wants Gamera in the MV too!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah, it isn't up for debate. This idea that somehow the MechaG fight alters who won between Godzilla and Kong is ridiculous. The two fought, in the end, Kong was left dying on the ground and Godzilla moved on to larger concerns. Case closed.

Yeah, sure, Kong "Won the movie" by saving Godzilla, and finishing off MechaG...but even that was with Godzilla's help. Kong also dropped his axe when Godzilla came to face him again.

There isn't a debate. Let the Kong simps go malding as much as they want. Kong lost. Godzilla won.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

MorgolKing
GPN Volunteer

Post by MorgolKing »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:31 pm It's amusing that the people who are stating emphatically that Godzilla has won, are largely and overwhelmingly just regurgitating an already solved issue as though there's some secret "Kong Army". The amount of people who are overreacting vastly outweigh the actual amount of people who believe Kong won. Okay, Godzilla won. Great, I don't think anyone is in a big disagreement at this point, and fyi this is exactly why I made the original who won thread, to prevent this type of "SEE GODZILLA WON" stuff from spreading throughout the forum.
I'm not sure why you're frustrated with the thread. It was just a an interesting response given by the Director, and I thought worthy of publishing given how many people were actually debating, what I thought was pretty obvious. For what it's worth I've seen several debates here and on other websites wherein people argued Kong won, and it looked like they were making the arguments in good faith. You yourself posted: "In a way, though. the film ends on Kong's victory, because Godzilla retreats." Maybe that was tongue in cheek - I don't know.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

haha I think we have the most redundant thread on the forum! :D

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

MorgolKing wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:57 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:31 pm It's amusing that the people who are stating emphatically that Godzilla has won, are largely and overwhelmingly just regurgitating an already solved issue as though there's some secret "Kong Army". The amount of people who are overreacting vastly outweigh the actual amount of people who believe Kong won. Okay, Godzilla won. Great, I don't think anyone is in a big disagreement at this point, and fyi this is exactly why I made the original who won thread, to prevent this type of "SEE GODZILLA WON" stuff from spreading throughout the forum.
I'm not sure why you're frustrated with the thread. It was just a an interesting response given by the Director, and I thought worthy of publishing given how many people were actually debating, what I thought was pretty obvious. For what it's worth I've seen several debates here and on other websites wherein people argued Kong won, and it looked like they were making the arguments in good faith. You yourself posted: "In a way, though. the film ends on Kong's victory, because Godzilla retreats." Maybe that was tongue in cheek - I don't know.
He’s a little salty because he made a thread thinking there’d be a grand debate and discussion which ended up showing how less than 10% of people agreed with him.

Anyways, yes, there is actually a subset of kong fans in complete denial about the results and it’s funny to troll the fuck out of them.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:14 pm
He’s a little salty because he made a thread thinking there’d be a grand debate and discussion which ended up showing how less than 10% of people agreed with him.

Anyways, yes, there is actually a subset of kong fans in complete denial about the results and it’s funny to troll the skreeonk out of them.
Well, kong as stronger arms though!

>Godzilla slaps Kong's arms aside, powers through the first attempt to grab and hold his arm back so well he slapped Kong's jaw and folded both of Kong's arms up with he grabs Godzilla's wrists.
>Godzilla breaks a two armed head lock with one arm so hard kong is thrown into a sinking boat
>spends Hong Kong fight tossing and ragdolling kong with one arm at first, then two arms then breaking Kong's grip on his for arm so he can pull it up for a bite then slapping his other arm aside so he can yeet him.
>the director himself straight up says "Godzilla is stronger"

YouTube comments are wild

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Showzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:09 am

Anyways, yes, there is actually a subset of kong fans in complete denial about the results and it’s funny to troll the skreeonk out of them.

>Godzilla slaps Kong's arms aside, powers through the first attempt to grab and hold his arm back so well he slapped Kong's jaw and folded both of Kong's arms up with he grabs Godzilla's wrists.
>Godzilla breaks a two armed head lock with one arm so hard kong is thrown into a sinking boat
>spends Hong Kong fight tossing and ragdolling kong with one arm at first, then two arms then breaking Kong's grip on his for arm so he can pull it up for a bite then slapping his other arm aside so he can yeet him.

This is partly to do with Kong as well as people these days wildly overestimating gorillas and apes in general. There’s a reason they get crushed by most apex predators. I mean people still fiercely debate who would win, a Gorilla or a Grizzly... they even talk how a gorilla would have a chance if it got the grizzly in a headlock etc etc... it’s utterly ridiculous. Gorillas are very strong compared to people... but so is just about every other animal our size or bigger.

In truth, this version of Godzilla, a bear is in fact probably his closest comparable creature that actually exists, or a reptilian bear like creature. So no, Kong certainly doesn’t have more body strength than Godzilla, not even his arms!

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:24 am
Showzilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:09 am

This is partly to do with Kong as well as people these days wildly overestimating gorillas and apes in general. There’s a reason they get crushed by most apex predators. I mean people still fiercely debate who would win, a Gorilla or a Grizzly... they even talk how a gorilla would have a chance if it got the grizzly in a headlock etc etc... it’s utterly ridiculous. Gorillas are very strong compared to people... but so is just about every other animal our size or bigger.

In truth, this version of Godzilla, a bear is in fact probably his closest comparable creature that actually exists, or a reptilian bear like creature. So no, Kong certainly doesn’t have more body strength than Godzilla, not even his arms!
You remind me of this guy who lists animal facts I watch on YouTube