Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who Won?

Godzilla
94%
Kong
2%
Depends on the Environment
4%

Total votes: 146

goji89
Sazer

Re: Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

Post by goji89 »

I didn't need a novel to tell me that, it's in the movie, if others didn't want to SEE that it's on them. The movie is pretty clear Godzilla won and at any moment could have killed Kong had he so desired.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

goji89 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:28 am I didn't need a novel to tell me that, it's in the movie, if others didn't want to SEE that it's on them. The movie is pretty clear Godzilla won and at any moment could have killed Kong had he so desired.
But geysers of blood inducing punches

And snapping necks

Kong is like Jason Voorhees and Godzilla is some dumb blonde bimbo

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

This is what the excerpt says:

From their aerial vantage, Nathan and the others now had an unobstructed view of how the fight was going. Judging by the state of the city, they had already missed a lot of it. Following the explosion that sent both Titans flying, Kong had stayed under cover, wary of the other Titan’s energy attack. Jia was busily signing in the back. “She says we have to help him,” Ilene translated. “Yeah,” Nathan said. “I would love to. But we’re clean out of ammunition. No missiles, anyway. And I’m far from proficient at flying this thing. I’m afraid all I can do is get us killed. Anyway, it looks like Kong is doing okay.” “He’s lost his axe,” Ilene said. “Without that he’s got nothing to protect him from Godzilla’s morning breath. Maybe we can find it for him.” “Given the amount of energy released,” Nathan said, “it might have been destroyed.” “We can try,” she said. He nodded. “I’ll fly. You two look. Let me know if you see anything.” “Okay,” Ilene said, as Nathan started a broad circle. From the air, it was clear Kong and Godzilla were no longer in each other’s line of sight, but Godzilla, obviously searching for Kong, still tended to move in the right direction. “He senses him,” Ilene said. “Kong can’t hide.”
“Looks like that’s what he’s doing, though,” Nathan pointed out. Kong had found a tall building, had climbed it, and seemed to be lying in wait, holding very still. “Clever,” Ilene said. “Clever is all he’s got right now,” Nathan said. They watched as Godzilla stalked the city, drawing nearer Kong’s hiding spot. “He still doesn’t see him,” Ilene breathed. Godzilla was almost on Kong. From his perch on the skyscraper, Kong tossed a spire he had snapped off from another building. When Godzilla turned at the distraction. Kong leapt squarely onto the other Titan, throwing his arms around the big lizard and binding him in a headlock. Then he rammed Godzilla’s head into a building.

RIP to the Hong Kong was two fights crowd.
Last edited by CosmicComet on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

baran
Ronin

Re: Who Won? Godzilla vs. Kong Spoilers

Post by baran »

Zasraniec wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm Using logic established by previous films is toxic? What is this forum coming to?! While I loved Godzilla vs Kong it does have some moments that make you go "huh?" A lot of which are clearly made to avoid a Kong death. Such as the depth charges distracting Godzilla. Conventional weapons aren't even supposed to make Godzilla bat an eye. The MOPs from Shin and those cannons from G2000 are the only exceptions I can think of to this rule, other than the depth charges themselves. It was fairly out of Godzilla's character and a minor surprise for me.
The depth charges didn't bother me because it's not like they hurt Godzilla--it merely distracted him momentarily, just enough that he released Kong. But he was immediately back on the hunt.

And as far as Godzilla's intentions at the Tasman Sea, I think it was clear that Goji was going to kill Kong.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Bluezilla wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:53 pm
Zasraniec wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm
bxrpriz wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:26 pm

Just a waste of time--should have known better than to try and discuss this here. For the two or three folks here that are reasonable I thank you. The rest...............well this is indeed toxic and I'm out.
Using logic established by previous films is toxic? What is this forum coming to?! While I loved Godzilla vs Kong it does have some moments that make you go "huh?" A lot of which are clearly made to avoid a Kong death. Such as the depth charges distracting Godzilla. Conventional weapons aren't even supposed to make Godzilla bat an eye. The MOPs from Shin and those cannons from G2000 are the only exceptions I can think of to this rule, other than the depth charges themselves. It was fairly out of Godzilla's character and a minor surprise for me.
Missles distracted him in San Francisco during the Golden Gate Bridge scene. The way Godzilla was acting during the sea battle wouldn’t surprise me if he turned him loose on purpose. I still doubt Godzilla ever was going to intentionally kill Kong. If Kong drowned though Godzilla wasn’t going to sweat it.
Now that you mention it I wonder if Godzilla would have preferred if Kong had lived. Maybe he sees a purpose for him in keeping balance.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

So, next myth to take down

Reading the novel right now, turns out Matt Pat was wrong about the Gojira Kong war too.

It basically says the iwi and the kongs were driven from hollow earth

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

baran wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:05 pm
Zasraniec wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 pm Using logic established by previous films is toxic? What is this forum coming to?! While I loved Godzilla vs Kong it does have some moments that make you go "huh?" A lot of which are clearly made to avoid a Kong death. Such as the depth charges distracting Godzilla. Conventional weapons aren't even supposed to make Godzilla bat an eye. The MOPs from Shin and those cannons from G2000 are the only exceptions I can think of to this rule, other than the depth charges themselves. It was fairly out of Godzilla's character and a minor surprise for me.
The depth charges didn't bother me because it's not like they hurt Godzilla--it merely distracted him momentarily, just enough that he released Kong. But he was immediately back on the hunt.

And as far as Godzilla's intentions at the Tasman Sea, I think it was clear that Goji was going to kill Kong.
Godzilla and Kong were clearly looking at each other at the end of the sea battle. Kong's eyes were open while he was on his back and Godzilla was looking through all the destruction. If Godzilla really wanted him dead, we would have had roast gorilla on a fiery platter on the ocean before Godzilla left. Instead, Godzilla curled underwater and left.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

So yeah, what misconception is left?

That Kong's arms were stronger despite Godzilla he wrenching them away or folding them up with his arms every time they locked hands?

That kong wasn't dying?

That kong was in better shape to keep fighting and Godzilla backed off in the end because of that?

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

The ending when Kong drops the axe. I took at as him just saying Godzilla is the Alpha and there is nothing to prove. Godzilla roars and acknowledges him as a worthy opponent and leaves. Kong wanted no more while Godzilla could have gone another round.

I know others think otherwise but thats my head canon.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

goji89 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:49 am The ending when Kong drops the axe. I took at as him just saying Godzilla is the Alpha and there is nothing to prove. Godzilla roars and acknowledges him as a worthy opponent and leaves. Kong wanted no more while Godzilla could have gone another round.

I know others think otherwise but thats my head canon.
Took it the same way. Plus the expression he makes when he "snarls" at Godzilla looks somewhat desperate and tired. Feels like at this point he genuinly did not want to fight or to prove anything anymore, he just wanted to stay at peace and leave all of this sh*t behind.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I always perceived it like Kong already knew Godzilla wasn’t the enemy, and trying to start another fight after the near death beatdown he suffered wasn’t wise. Therefore, he yielded.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

Dynomy-DX wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:27 am I always perceived it like Kong already knew Godzilla wasn’t the enemy, and trying to start another fight after the near death beatdown he suffered wasn’t wise. Therefore, he yielded.
I just didn't quite understand the snarl, or what Kong was trying to communicate.
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

jrock
GPN Volunteer

Post by jrock »

I saw the ending as this.

Godzilla roars off screen then crowd looks and pans to Godzilla who is walking towards Kong.

Kong hears Godzilla roar, thinks oh shreoonk and grabs axe thinking they are going to throw down again.

Pans back to Godzilla who does a head bob acknowledging Kong's help.

Kong is bewilder but still sees that Godzilla is not attacking and lays down the axe.

Godzilla roars back twice almost like thank you or tip of a hat to Kong. Again acknowledging Kong is in fact legit.

The movie was a coming of age of Kong. Kong becoming a "King" of sorts at the end. Not King of the monsters per se, but one that is to be respected as such. Thus King Kong.

Jaqua92
Interpol Agent

Post by Jaqua92 »

jrock wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:34 pm I saw the ending as this.

Godzilla roars off screen then crowd looks and pans to Godzilla who is walking towards Kong.

Kong hears Godzilla roar, thinks oh shreoonk and grabs axe thinking they are going to throw down again.

Pans back to Godzilla who does a head bob acknowledging Kong's help.

Kong is bewilder but still sees that Godzilla is not attacking and lays down the axe.

Godzilla roars back twice almost like thank you or tip of a hat to Kong. Again acknowledging Kong is in fact legit.

The movie was a coming of age of Kong. Kong becoming a "King" of sorts at the end. Not King of the monsters per se, but one that is to be respected as such. Thus King Kong.
That's what I felt. Kong finding his place in the new titan filled world. And if he is to be left outside of the titan Heiarchy as he insists, he HAS to coexist with Godzilla. They both learned that's possible.

Most telling, is that Kong accepts that he was beaten, and moves on. Kong doesn't need to smash Godzilla to be a king. And him being smashed by Godzilla doesn't mean he isn't worthy of being a king in his own right.

I think, as someone else mentioned, they're sort of kindred spirits. And Kong gets that at the end of the movie as he watches Godzilla swim off.

"That Godzilla isn't so bad. Maybe I'll end up liking the dude".
Please check out the first battle in the Tohokingdom Monsterverse Battle Thread/Tier project! First battle is Nuke Amped Boston Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31251

System intro below.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=31260&p=1820343#p1820343

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I wish Kong could've won a battle.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

I cant link since I'm new but look for this LA Times article in google:

'Godzilla vs. Kong' director on giving Kong a fighting chance

Wingard puts to rest the "equals" thought train here. The Hong Kong fight was designed to give Kong a better chance by making the buildings even taller. So it would be like an ape maneuvering through a jungle. And the axe of course. Because Wingard felt Godzilla's durability was simply too high without it.

But the article still acknowledges that he lost in Hong Kong even with those provisions. (No mention of a mythical round 3 after round 2).

That makes me think that the axes were scavenged from the fin of an already dead Gojira specimen and the war between their species started in earnest after that.

Kong vs Godzilla was kinda like a gorilla vs a bear that outweighs it by a factor of two. And then the bear can breathe fire too somehow.

The gorilla would get annihilated every time. But give it a small axe and gorilla may stand a chance.
Last edited by CosmicComet on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

I really wish we’d get confirmation from the writers/director what that last scene really meant. As much as I love everyone’s deducing above, I can’t wrap my head around Godzilla’s double roar. Was it double to signify that it’s positive instead of a negative single battle roar? It still looked very aggressive to me. Kong relents and puts the axe down as an act of submission or relenting, prompting Godzilla to leave. Would Godzilla have even roared if it was positive? At best, the roar appeared to be a “Yeah bitch! Stand down or I really will finish you off!”

I don’t know for certain. And I kind of like how Godzilla’s actions and communications aren’t so directly translatable.
Last edited by plasmabeam on Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

Hey Plasma. Here is what the novel said:

Then the earth shook, and a familiar screech filled the air, and the gathering crowd screamed along with it. Nathan jerked his head toward the sound and there, emerging from the smoke, was Godzilla; bruised, injured, but very much alive—and headed right toward them. Or, more likely, toward Kong. Jia got that right away; she broke free of Ilene’s grasp and sprinted toward the fallen Titan. Nathan and Ilene ran after her, managed to grab her and try to hustle her out of the way, but by then Godzilla towered directly above them. That woke Kong, though. He pushed himself up, doggedly determined to finish the fight if he had to. He lifted the glowing axe and bellowed at Godzilla. For a moment they stood like that, two Titans from a lost age, the only survivors of an ancient war, face to face. Then Kong looked down at the axe. He let it slip from his hand. He straightened a little and regarded Godzilla. Godzilla held that gaze for a moment. Nathan felt as if he was watching something important, something passing between the two Titans. Then, with a slight growl, Godzilla turned and began walking seaward, unleashing a roar of triumph. Kong joined in, pounding his chest, and together they created a strange—well, if not harmony, at least a welcome cacophony. At the water’s edge, Godzilla paused, looked up at the sky, then turned back toward Kong. Kong acknowledged with a huff, and then they all watched as Godzilla vanished beneath the waves.

So it comes across to me as Kong showing respect to Godzilla, without submission. Similar to Godzilla's acknowledgement to Kong with a nod after the chest stomp.

Kong was de-escalating a pointless situation. "Hey man. I get it. I wasn't your real enemy. I know that now. We can stop this."
Last edited by CosmicComet on Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baran
Ronin

Post by baran »

plasmabeam wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Godzilla and Kong were clearly looking at each other at the end of the sea battle. Kong's eyes were open while he was on his back and Godzilla was looking through all the destruction. If Godzilla really wanted him dead, we would have had roast gorilla on a fiery platter on the ocean before Godzilla left. Instead, Godzilla curled underwater and left.
Good point. I just thought that Godzilla intended to kill Kong initially, specifically when he went in "croc" mood with the aim of drowning Kong. And then he inexplicably let Kong off the hook when the naval fleet shut down everything.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

baran wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:06 pm
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 pm

Good point. I just thought that Godzilla intended to kill Kong initially, specifically when he went in "croc" mood with the aim of drowning Kong. And then he inexplicably let Kong off the hook when the naval fleet shut down everything.
It definitely is convoluted. Maybe he actually was trying to take Kong to a Hollow Earth tunnel... but I doubt it. :lol:

It’s like, is Godzilla playing? Like a kid playing with a fish outside of water, not knowing the fish needs the water to survive? (Don’t answer that. I’m just trying to find a funny angle).

I think this movie really pushed forward the idea of a merciful and benevolent Godzilla, even if he is the most vicious and powerful force of nature. He saw that Kong was more a part of nature and not a force trying to disturb its balance... but their predecessors battled...

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
Which brings me to the thought of: what if this Godzilla is a “kind” one but others, if they exist, may be evil. What if Godzillas are complex like humans. Some good ones and some bad? That would make quite the VS film. Godzilla VS Godzilla.