Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who Won?

Godzilla
94%
Kong
2%
Depends on the Environment
4%

Total votes: 146

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Re: Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

Post by Vandarker »

I'm fine with the idea of Godzilla being the "Superman" of the Monsterverse. Let Kong and the others handle the smaller-scale threats, while Godzilla shows up to deal with enemies that are truly of apocalyptic proportions.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:51 am I love how Adam basically makes it worse and worse for Kong fans after the fact. I understood perfectly well and stated here when the movie first came out that Kong never really hurt Godzilla at all and has no conceivable way to beat Godzilla.
Crap really? I thought when the axe went into his thigh, he definitely felt a some pain

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:25 pm
KaijuKingGojira wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:51 am I love how Adam basically makes it worse and worse for Kong fans after the fact. I understood perfectly well and stated here when the movie first came out that Kong never really hurt Godzilla at all and has no conceivable way to beat Godzilla.
Crap really? I thought when the axe went into his thigh, he definitely felt a some pain
Adam himself said kong literally can’t kill Godzilla, even a charged axe slamming him in the head only stunned him for a bit. It’s an impossibility according to Adam.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:29 pm
Adam himself said kong literally can’t kill Godzilla, even a charged axe slamming him in the head only stunned him for a bit. It’s an impossibility according to Adam.
This is the one claim I take issue with, Kong's axe clearly can cut through Godzilla's skin. A Supercharged Shot to the neck or head would be bad even for Godzilla.

Honestly it feels like Adam is just trying to wank up Godzilla, which isn't even needed. I don't get what benefit there is to burying Kong's capacity to this degree.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kong can't kill Godzilla because the Toho outter God's demand so.

In reality he can't kill Godzilla but he can hurt him.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

I like the idea of there being threat levels.
Ilene:
“Why are they calling us to take care of it, can’t Godzilla just do it?”
Nathan:
“Apparently this isn’t a ‘Godzilla level’ threat”
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Yeah he acted as in “oh fuck that stung” and was then completely uninhibited by the stab. I meant hurt as in proper hurt, not an “ouchie”.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

godjacob wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:01 pm
This is the one claim I take issue with, Kong's axe clearly can cut through Godzilla's skin. A Supercharged Shot to the neck or head would be bad even for Godzilla.

Honestly it feels like Adam is just trying to wank up Godzilla, which isn't even needed. I don't get what benefit there is to burying Kong's capacity to this degree.
I honestly don't understand why some people have such a hard time accepting that statement. Kong's axe cut through Godzilla's skin but it clearly didn't hurt him. Godzilla had no trouble supporting his weight on the wounded leg, running around and stomping the shit out of Kong. He only showed signs of pain when Kong punched him in the wound, but even then it was closer to annoyance. That's hardly what you call an injury.

And the skull is usually one of the most durable parts in an animal's body. Godzilla is built like a bear plus an alligator, so it isn't a stretch to assume that his skull is durable as hell even when compared to the rest of his body.

The charged axe barely cut through Godzilla's skin, so it's not a surprise that it just bounced off his hardened skull. If the charged axe hits him in one of his weaker spot like the gills, it may be able to hurt him and cause him some pain, but I doubt it will be enough to kill him. Nor will it be enough for Kong to gain an upper hand against him.

Added in 4 minutes 20 seconds:
It was probably Wingard's intent all along to make this a fight that Kong can't win, which is pretty evident from the stuff he says in the commentaries. What the director says is pretty much the Word of God when it comes to stuff like this, so there's no use arguing against it. If Wingard says that the axe hit Godzilla in the head and didn't hurt him, it's a fact.
Last edited by Vandarker on Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Vandarker wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:27 am

I honestly don't understand why some people have such a hard time accepting that statement. Kong's axe cut through Godzilla's skin but it clearly didn't hurt him. Godzilla had no trouble supporting his weight on the wounded leg, running around and stomping the poop out of Kong. He only showed signs of pain when Kong punched him in the wound, but even then it was closer to annoyance. That's hardly what you call an injury.

And the skull is usually one of the most durable parts in an animal's body. Godzilla is built like a bear plus an alligator, so it isn't a stretch to assume that his skull is durable as hell even when compared to the rest of his body.

The charged axe barely cut through Godzilla's skin, so it's not a surprise that it just bounced off his hardened skull. If the charged axe hits him in one of his weaker spot like the gills, it may be able to hurt him and cause him some pain, but I doubt it will be enough to kill him. Nor will it be enough for Kong to gain an upper hand against him.

It was probably Wingard's intent all along to make this a fight that Kong can't win, which is pretty evident from the stuff he says in the commentaries. What the director says is pretty much the Word of God when it comes to stuff like this, so there's no use arguing against it. If Wingard says that the axe hit Godzilla in the head and didn't hurt him, it's a fact.
That make sense, especially if the axe hit the gills, that would definitely hurt him badly, we saw MechaGodzilla hit Godzilla in the gills with The Proton Scream, and Godzilla roar in agony after that
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I honestly don't understand why some people have such a hard time accepting that statement. Kong's axe cut through Godzilla's skin but it clearly didn't hurt him. Godzilla had no trouble supporting his weight on the wounded leg, running around and stomping the poop out of Kong. He only showed signs of pain when Kong punched him in the wound, but even then it was closer to annoyance. That's hardly what you call an injury.

Because eliminating any possibility Kong could deal a critical blow with the ax on Godzilla when we already saw said ax cut through his skin on his leg much less something like sensitive gills or something feels too much like an absolute statement to make. Also actual stuff that happens in the medium IMO>Word of God, as a Dragon Ball fan sometimes WOG can only go so far lol

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

godjacob wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:33 am

Because eliminating any possibility Kong could deal a critical blow with the ax on Godzilla when we already saw said ax cut through his skin on his leg much less something like sensitive gills or something feels too much like an absolute statement to make. Also actual stuff that happens in the medium IMO>Word of God, as a Dragon Ball fan sometimes WOG can only go so far lol
Kong flying through the sky with his full bodyweight reinforcing the force of the blow with a supercharged axe right to the dome is what happens in the medium, Kong could get no more of a perfect shot and it did nothing. The whole “but if it hits the gills....” thing is grasping and Adam saying Kong could never down Godzilla is in line with what was shown. Either way, the gill “weakness” is overblown and judging by Godzilla in GvK, probably forgotten.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Can someone compile all of the established quotes of Wingard stating the obvious superiority of Godzilla over Kong? That way whenever we see a Kong fan using the same talking points they can easily be debunked. Although to be fair I have to say it is Wingard's fault for not making some of this stuff more clear. To a casual viewer that is completely unaware of the director's clarifications and only going by what they see in a movie it can be hard to think otherwise. I can see why it would be very easy to think Kong could have a shot, no matter how small at killing Godzilla. I also see how some could think Mechagodzilla is superior to Godzilla just by seeing what is seen in the movie. Wingard should have made some of this stuff a bit more clear in the movie.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Zasraniec wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:20 pm Can someone compile all of the established quotes of Wingard stating the obvious superiority of Godzilla over Kong? That way whenever we see a Kong fan using the same talking points they can easily be debunked. Although to be fair I have to say it is Wingard's fault for not making some of this stuff more clear. To a casual viewer that is completely unaware of the director's clarifications and only going by what they see in a movie it can be hard to think otherwise. I can see why it would be very easy to think Kong could have a shot, no matter how small at killing Godzilla. I also see how some could think Mechagodzilla is superior to Godzilla just by seeing what is seen in the movie. Wingard should have made some of this stuff a bit more clear in the movie.
Godzilla being weakened by fighting Kong before fighting Mechagodzilla couldn't be anymore clear.

Did the Hollow Earth buster weaken Godzilla is the only thing the movie didn't make clear.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

so, the latest Kong Stan news....they just found out Dominion exists.....and are hyped about hearing a kong win.....but hate being told he barely beat an adolescent Godzilla.......and was then promptly cut down in his prime by Tiamat......who Godzilla beat while exhausted.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Showzilla wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:52 am so, the latest Kong Stan news....they just found out Dominion exists.....and are hyped about hearing a kong win.....but hate being told he barely beat an adolescent Godzilla.......and was then promptly cut down in his prime by Tiamat......who Godzilla beat while exhausted.
Lmao I saw that, kong fans are proving themselves to be more toxic than they claim Godzilla fans are

Monke
Interpol Agent

Post by Monke »

This whole Godzilla stans/Kong stans are toxic is so tribal.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Showzilla wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:52 am so, the latest Kong Stan news....they just found out Dominion exists.....and are hyped about hearing a kong win.....but hate being told he barely beat an adolescent Godzilla.......and was then promptly cut down in his prime by Tiamat......who Godzilla beat while exhausted.
I don't think Tiamat killed that Kong. I think Tiamat was just there when Godzilla showed up.

Also if Kong fans want a bone, Kong would have likely beaten pre Muto Prime Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I very rarely see "Kong" fans on social media or irl. Either you're a kaiju fan or you're not lol. So I find it funny when people act like there's some severe toxicity between the 2 fandoms... we're small enough to where the fandom is one in the same.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:22 pm
I don't think Tiamat killed that Kong. I think Tiamat was just there when Godzilla showed up.

Also if Kong fans want a bone, Kong would have likely beaten pre Muto Prime Godzilla.
no, the author confirmed it, Tiamat killed him....from the looks of it, she killed him on land.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Showzilla wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:36 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:22 pm

no, the author confirmed it, Tiamat killed him....from the looks of it, she killed him on land.
Was that a tweet because Kong is the last Kong by 1973 and Tiamat doesn't wake up until 2019. That seems like a wierd unesscary retcon.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image