Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who Won?

Godzilla
94%
Kong
2%
Depends on the Environment
4%

Total votes: 146

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I figure and have seen a lot of members discuss who won and who is stronger. Feel free to discuss who you thought won endlessly here.
Spoiler:
The obvious answer is that it's environment specific. Godzilla wins in water. Kong, if he has the tools, wins in a big area where he can freely run around. In a way, though. the film ends on Kong's victory, because Godzilla retreats.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Who Won? Godzilla vs. Kong Spoilers

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Godzilla literally killed kong on land tho lmao
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:02 am Godzilla literally killed kong on land tho lmao
Fuck, I forgot about that. Well, feel free to argue amongst yourselves. :P

Perhaps then there's a discussion to be had with who won in the end/who is stronger overall. Maybe Godzilla/probably Godzilla. Hmmm...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:03 am
gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:02 am Godzilla literally killed kong on land tho lmao
skreeonk, I forgot about that. Well, feel free to argue amongst yourselves. :P

Perhaps then there's a discussion to be had with who won in the end/who is stronger overall. Maybe Godzilla/probably Godzilla. Hmmm...
H-how did you forget about that?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Kong wins the movie. G wins the fight. I also wanna argue that had Kong just finished Godzilla off instead of retreating to for some reason jump on his spiny ass back. He could've def killed him. There was a huge scar from the axe in G's head.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

Godzilla won every encounter. Kong drops his axe in submission to Godzilla at the end.

Is one interpretation, the other being Kong signaling to Godzilla that he doesn't want to fight and isn't a threat to him or the Earth.

Regardless of which you believe, Godzilla was the undisputed victor. Which honestly surprised me that it wasn't more ambiguous.
Last edited by SG-17 on Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Godzilla won clearly Kong took alot more damage from Godzilla despite getting more blows in. Godzilla retreated because the actual main threat was neutralized and he recognized that despite Kong being an Alpha he's not interested in ruling over the other Titans that's not in his immediate territory and Kong recognized that all Godzilla does is restore balance and is vital for the defense of the Earth incase a certain foe were to rear it's ugly heads again in some way and they have more benefit as allies than rivals.
Last edited by DynomikeGojira on Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Godzilla won. Kong needed the axe to even the playing field. And even then, he struggled and got mauled once it was dropped. I don’t see the ending as Godzilla retreating from Kong as much as it is him finishing his job. The threat that disturbed him was out of the picture. Kong didnt want to fight and showed himself as an ally. Big G did what he needed to do.

Kong meanwhile, while he put up a great fight, was overwhelmed by the Alpha Titan in the Hong Kong fight. To the point where he needed to get revitalized after Godzilla basically crushed his ribcage. Kong might have been able to keep the fight going afterwards? But Godzilla looked just as willing to continue too. So, overall, it feels more like Godzilla won the fights, whereas Kong got what he wanted; A new home.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

yeah, Kong managed to knock him down, but lost the axe. Godzilla is seen dusting himself off after the cut away with no sign of "punch drunkeness". If Kong Could have finished him, he would have, but his first response was to retreat and get to the high ground.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

So while I feel that Godzilla totally won, I was having a discussion with a friend who felt that because Kong beat Mechagodzilla that Kong won. I dont know if they didn't get the significance of the final roar, but oh well
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

bxrpriz
GPN Volunteer

Post by bxrpriz »

Kong won the movie. Not even close in that respect. This was a Kong movie.
In terms of the fights---I keep reading about Kong doing little damage but landing the most hits and its just ridiculous.
Aircraft Carrier fight - on the surface of it Godzilla won - but let's be honest, that is a cheap win and not exactly a fair fight. Kong was heavily sedated let's remember(moments before they literally showed the sedation level at 80-85% or something like that. I imagine 100% would be unconscious), Kong was chained and the battle was mostly in the water. Kong did pretty damn well considering those odds if you ask me.
Hong Kong - well, I saw this very different than it was described by several folks. Kong was in command of the first part of this. He whupped up on Big G and eventually knocked him down(out?). Not sure why he didn't finish him. Round 2 goes to Kong is literally state in the movie so Kong gets the w there in my mind. Again, he has time to gather up a crane and climb a building, he had time to finish Godzilla--why didn't he?
Kong then engages Godzilla---all this talk of Godzilla deciding to end the battle by going croc mode and choosing to fight closer is just ridiculous--Kong attacks him and forces the close combat. Godzilla then gains the upper hand when he dislocates Kong's shoulder and that's it---Godzilla scratches him to hell and then puts his big elephant foot(hate this design flaw) on his chest--causing what I would assume to be great damage. G could have finished Kong at that point but does not. We don't know why. But it is a good choice because it saves his bacon later.
Mecha fight - well let's just say it was not much of a 1V1 fight. Godzilla got absolutely owned. And when his main weapon(his breath) just gets overpowered, he was powerless. I thought this fight was utterly disrespectful to Godzilla. He was made to look helpless. I did not like that. Loved the team up though.

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
In terms of the end. I felt it was simply mutual respect. Nothing more. They both decided neither was the enemy.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

LSD finally found someone that agrees with him lol

scottzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by scottzilla »

Godzilla for sure won, there's really no disputing that. Kong would have died if it wasn't for the humans reviving him.

That said, he did do a number on Godzilla and proved himself a worthy opponent. He could have gotten him had he not retreated to hide, but he didn't bring Godzilla to near death like he did.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

bxrpriz wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 am Kong won the movie. Not even close in that respect. This was a Kong movie.
In terms of the fights---I keep reading about Kong doing little damage but landing the most hits and its just ridiculous.
Aircraft Carrier fight - on the surface of it Godzilla won - but let's be honest, that is a cheap win and not exactly a fair fight. Kong was heavily sedated let's remember(moments before they literally showed the sedation level at 80-85% or something like that. I imagine 100% would be unconscious), Kong was chained and the battle was mostly in the water. Kong did pretty damn well considering those odds if you ask me.
Hong Kong - well, I saw this very different than it was described by several folks. Kong was in command of the first part of this. He whupped up on Big G and eventually knocked him down(out?). Not sure why he didn't finish him. Round 2 goes to Kong is literally state in the movie so Kong gets the w there in my mind. Again, he has time to gather up a crane and climb a building, he had time to finish Godzilla--why didn't he?
Kong then engages Godzilla---all this talk of Godzilla deciding to end the battle by going croc mode and choosing to fight closer is just ridiculous--Kong attacks him and forces the close combat. Godzilla then gains the upper hand when he dislocates Kong's shoulder and that's it---Godzilla scratches him to hell and then puts his big elephant foot(hate this design flaw) on his chest--causing what I would assume to be great damage. G could have finished Kong at that point but does not. We don't know why. But it is a good choice because it saves his bacon later.
Mecha fight - well let's just say it was not much of a 1V1 fight. Godzilla got absolutely owned. And when his main weapon(his breath) just gets overpowered, he was powerless. I thought this fight was utterly disrespectful to Godzilla. He was made to look helpless. I did not like that. Loved the team up though.

In terms of the end. I felt it was simply mutual respect. Nothing more. They both decided neither was the enemy.

I can answer your question, he didn't finish him because he couldn't

hell, the first half of the fight was

Kong combos, kong combos, Kong gets thrown and knocked down, Kong comobs and finally gets a knocked down.......then Godzilla throws him around like a ragdoll..kong starts running, Godzilla knocks him down again, Kong gets his axe and the big hit occurs....and Godzilla gets knocked down while Kong and the axe go flying. Kong didn't finish him because a) Godzilla was still conscious and able to fight back. B) kong got flung half way across the city and his axe was tossed the other direction, he can barely hurt him with his axe and now that axe is gone.

simply put, if kong could have finished him, he would have.....but he couldn't, he didn't and he got beat to death for it. Kong lost hong kong.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

bxrpriz wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 am Mecha fight - well let's just say it was not much of a 1V1 fight. Godzilla got absolutely owned. And when his main weapon(his breath) just gets overpowered, he was powerless. I thought this fight was utterly disrespectful to Godzilla. He was made to look helpless. I did not like that. Loved the team up though.

Godzilla getting his second brain obliterated by Super Mechagodzilla wasn't being made to look helpless?

bxrpriz
GPN Volunteer

Post by bxrpriz »

Showzilla wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:09 am
bxrpriz wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 am Kong won the movie. Not even close in that respect. This was a Kong movie.

I can answer your question, he didn't finish him because he couldn't

hell, the first half of the fight was

Kong combos, kong combos, Kong gets thrown and knocked down, Kong comobs and finally gets a knocked down.......then Godzilla throws him around like a ragdoll..kong starts running, Godzilla knocks him down again, Kong gets his axe and the big hit occurs....and Godzilla gets knocked down while Kong and the axe go flying. Kong didn't finish him because a) Godzilla was still conscious and able to fight back. B) kong got flung half way across the city and his axe was tossed the other direction, he can barely hurt him with his axe and now that axe is gone.

simply put, if kong could have finished him, he would have.....but he couldn't, he didn't and he got beat to death for it. Kong lost hong kong.
That's your opinion and I am not going to try and change it. I simply disagree.

Added in 38 seconds:
SG-17 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:10 am
bxrpriz wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:00 am Mecha fight - well let's just say it was not much of a 1V1 fight. Godzilla got absolutely owned. And when his main weapon(his breath) just gets overpowered, he was powerless. I thought this fight was utterly disrespectful to Godzilla. He was made to look helpless. I did not like that. Loved the team up though.

Godzilla getting his second brain obliterated by Super Mechagodzilla wasn't being made to look helpless?
Not sure what the question is here.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I’m surprised this is even a thread. Godzilla won. The movie made that pretty clear.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

Godzilla won, emphatically. He wrecked him in the water and left him for dead. Then even after taking Kong's best shot with the charged up axe, he wrecked him again and left him for dead. THEN after they work together to beat MechaGodzilla, Kong drops the axe and taps out, either in submission or just respect. Either way, Godzilla was the clear winner, and swam off now that his business was concluded. I'm not sure how anyone could possibly spin a Kong victory out of this. That said, Kong held his own very well, and in a believable way, against a clearly superior foe. The way they handled that was one of the highlights of the film. Like a great wrestling match or sporting event where one team is an undefeated juggernaut, but the scrappy underdog gives you just enough hope that they might pull off the miracle that it becomes really engrossing to watch.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Godzilla won unambiguously. He had Kong in the water, Kong got a brief upper hand in the begining of the Hong Kong fight, and then Godzilla proceeded to win for without a better word, stopping holding back to just lay into him. The movie ended the way it does because Godzilla clearly ended up gaining respect for Kong (notice the look of surprise on his face when he has Kong pinned and Kong roars back in his face. Kong straight up is fucked and being told in no uncertain terms to bow and he tells Godzilla to fuck off. That's why I think Godzilla spares him and walks off. Both not wanting to kill unless it's a threat and genuinely gaining some respect for the little upstart), as well as the obvious gratitude for saving him/helping him end Ghidorah for good.

In short: Godzilla won but they both parted amicably, with respect both ways

RIP Evan.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Godzilla won, I'm surprised anyone is questioning that. It's not just clearly what happened, it's also important for Kong's character arc in this movie - his submission to Godzilla is the final part of his search for meaning and finding his place in the world.