Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Who Won?

Godzilla
94%
Kong
2%
Depends on the Environment
4%

Total votes: 146

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Re: Discussion of the Titular Fights: Godzilla vs. Kong

Post by Showzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:57 am
ernesth100 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:46 am That too. But that doesn't really invalidate anything I just said. Especially on Kong's end. You could argue Godzilla didn't care again because like I said, every hit Kong landed did little to nothing in terms of damage minus the axe blow ofc.

My point was Kong put up an impressive showing that proves had the circumstances aligned differently perhaps he could've came out on top. Personally I feel like where he screwed up I jumping on Godzilla jagged spike covered back.

Like what was even the plan there? Should've slammed him into the building. Jumped off his back and tackled him to the ground with all his might.

THEN start bashing his head where you landed the axe blow. Preferably with a nearby object. Once Godzilla got Kong on the ground it was pretty much over from there.
I understand what your saying, just the way the fight wen I wouldn't say Kong's blow did little damage as much as Godzilla is that durable. Kong had enough strong to stop Godzilla underwater, remember when he grabs him. The the aircraft punch did phase Godzilla.

I feel it was more Godzilla's pain threshold is that high. Ghidorah had to stratosphere drop him for example to slow him down.

He actually doesn't stop him. Kong catches Godzilla's hands fairly far out and apart. We see kong scream and his arms tremble as Godzilla's arms move up and slowly come together and close in on Kong's face before kong gives up trying to over power him and just goes for a head butt.

Even before that when kong push on Godzilla's head, Godzilla slapped Kong's arms aside and tossed him around.

Later on, kong tries to put a bear hug on Godzilla and goes to bite his gills. Godzilla puts one hand on Kong's chest and shoves him off, overpowering Kong's arms and slamming him into the sinking air craft carrier.

There's a few other times kong tries to use his arms to stop or pin Godzilla and Godzilla just slaps Kong's arms aside and goes right back to attacking.
ernesth100 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:40 am I wouldnt be surprised if punching Godzilla feels like the kaiju equivalent hitting a brick wall to Kong.
Funny you say that, kong compares punching Godzilla to punching a mountain in the novel

CosmicComet
Ronin

Post by CosmicComet »

You have to remember that part of why Kong landed as well as he did Hong Kong was because of the buildings.

The cgi Hong Kong was designed with taller buildings to give Kong things to maneuver around and push off of, per Wingard. For Godzilla it was just a bunch of stuff in his way and limiting his movement.

In an open field a h2h fight would have gone even worse for Kong.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Showzilla wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:37 am

Funny you say that, kong compares punching Godzilla to punching a mountain in the novel
That's actually quite awesome. And makes sense considering Godzilla's build.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla really has become a Super Titan if.Kong feels that way. Rodan and Kong are the only Titans to challange him and Kong thinks it's like hitting a mountain.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Took my nine year old niece to see it today. She said they both one in the end because they quit fighting and made friends. Lol. I guess you can’t argue with that logic.

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

Yeah on the argument that Kong is a better fighter, remember he was only impressive against Godzilla when he was spamming AB, as soon as it properly got down to fisticuffs, Godzilla annihilated Kong and he couldn’t stop it. It was like watching a “human” fight an aggressive reptile, people, or Kong, can use their arms and feet to hit and grapple, but Godzilla can use his weapons more effectively to do damage, his teeth, claws, tail and superior strength were used by him expertly to bring the fight to a quick end.

plasmabeam
G-Grasper

Post by plasmabeam »

KaijuKingGojira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:27 pm Yeah on the argument that Kong is a better fighter, remember he was only impressive against Godzilla when he was spamming AB, as soon as it properly got down to fisticuffs, Godzilla annihilated Kong and he couldn’t stop it. It was like watching a “human” fight an aggressive reptile, people, or Kong, can use their arms and feet to hit and grapple, but Godzilla can use his weapons more effectively to do damage, his teeth, claws, tail and superior strength were used by him expertly to bring the fight to a quick end.
The Revenant. Kaiju-style.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

plasmabeam wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:16 pm
KaijuKingGojira wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:27 pm Yeah on the argument that Kong is a better fighter, remember he was only impressive against Godzilla when he was spamming AB, as soon as it properly got down to fisticuffs, Godzilla annihilated Kong and he couldn’t stop it. It was like watching a “human” fight an aggressive reptile, people, or Kong, can use their arms and feet to hit and grapple, but Godzilla can use his weapons more effectively to do damage, his teeth, claws, tail and superior strength were used by him expertly to bring the fight to a quick end.
Movie with a bear

Kaiju built like a bear

I bet you thought this was clever

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Showzilla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:08 pm
Movie with a bear

Kaiju built like a bear

That's a billion times more clever than 'save Mothra' which got tired within a week into 2018

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:37 pm
Showzilla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:08 pm

Movie with a bear

Kaiju built like a bear

That's a billion times more clever than 'save Mothra' which got tired within a week into 2018
How bout the "What's a king to a god?" Bit?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I enjoy that line with the context of Mecha Godzilla saying "What's a God to a non-believer?"

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

Wingard actually gimped the fight a bit and took away some of the more brutal scenes from the script because he felt bad for Kong. The original script could have included stuffs like Kong coughing up blood, broken limb or cracked ribcage I'd imagine, the end result would be more or less like that Revenant scene indeed. #releaseuncutGVK

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

ultrazilla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:50 pm Wingard actually gimped the fight a bit and took away some of the more brutal scenes from the script because he felt bad for Kong. The original script could have included stuffs like Kong coughing up blood, broken limb or cracked ribcage I'd imagine, the end result would be more or less like that Revenant scene indeed. #releaseuncutGVK
Pretty much all that was implied though. Y'all really have a hate boner for seeing Kong get punished

ultrazilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by ultrazilla »

ernesth100 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 pm
ultrazilla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:50 pm Wingard actually gimped the fight a bit and took away some of the more brutal scenes from the script because he felt bad for Kong. The original script could have included stuffs like Kong coughing up blood, broken limb or cracked ribcage I'd imagine, the end result would be more or less like that Revenant scene indeed. #releaseuncutGVK
Pretty much all that was implied though. Y'all really have a hate boner for seeing Kong get punished
That's hardly the case, Kong wanted to be punished by so eagerly taking on a Titan more than twice his size with deadly atomic breath no less coz apparently his ego is even bigger and bows to no one , yet no body forced him to. Hell even Godzilla himself wanted to stop the fight, so can you blame us to at least see the whole thing played out in the most realistic, unadulterated way possible?

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

ernesth100 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 pm

Honestly, more contests of strength wrestle match would be kool.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

ernesth100 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:56 pm Pretty much all that was implied though. Y'all really have a hate boner for seeing Kong get punished
Yes
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Wow. Awesome! As awesome as GvK was it seems like the corners they cut only would have added to the film rather than take away. I can only hope we will get to see a different cut or at the very least some interesting deleted scenes.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

so yeah, the director just state Kong fought Godzilla when Godzilla was at 50%

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Showzilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm so yeah, the director just state Kong fought Godzilla when Godzilla was at 50%
Oh so Power Levels are a thing now in the MonsterVerse? :P
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm
Showzilla wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm so yeah, the director just state Kong fought Godzilla when Godzilla was at 50%
Oh so Power Levels are a thing now in the MonsterVerse? :P
No power scales.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image