Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

SPOILERS AHEAD!

So its finally out. Almost a year late, but here we are now. And I LOVED EVERY GOD DAMN SECOND OF IT. Godzilla won, and that I am overly happy about. I loved this new MechaGodzilla with the only complaint I really have is how MG went rogue as soon as they got the Hollow Earth energy. Was it Ghidorah or something else? Its implied Ghidorah just a few moments before when we see the skull, but its never explained after. Wish that was a thing. Characters were decent enough, but those fights were insane.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Godzilla18
Samurai

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Godzilla18 »

Just watched GVK and I gotta say it was a fun movie! Not much development or depth with the human characters but screw it cause they're not the main reason I'm watching. I kind of wished they delved more into Ren Serizawa's character as to why he was motivated to help APEX but oh well. The action was great and I would be shocked and pissed if this movie didn't receive an award for Special Effects and CGI because it was beautifully well done! Both Godzilla and Kong were treated with the utmost care and respect in both their fights and in the story. And the film finally proved once and for all who is the true King of the Monsters....

Last edited by Godzilla18 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just watched a second time in a row. Anyone else notice some of the Easter eggs? Namely, there's a part of the second fight that plays out move-for-move with the T-Rex fight in 1933. As well, the scene where Kong sticks the handle of his axe in Godzilla's mouth is a lot like the 1962 tree scene.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:07 am Just watched a second time in a row. Anyone else notice some of the Easter eggs? Namely, there's a part of the second fight that plays out move-for-move with the T-Rex fight in 1933. As well, the scene where Kong sticks the handle of his axe in Godzilla's mouth is a lot like the 1962 tree scene.
Sub level 33 and Denham university stuck out to me
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I watched it two days ago but overall although I had plenty of problems with the film, what makes up for all of it is the fun giant monster action. Another film like King of the Monsters I'd really only recommend for the hardcore kaiju fans, general audience otherwise, this is one of those films that's a timewaster at best, just shut off your brain if you're just in for the fun giant monster action since you won't get much out from the characters or story.

My nitpicks were.

-I enjoy fast-paced films, but it honestly felt too fast. This should have been at least as long as King of the Monsters to allow some character development especially regarding Ren and know what's going on.
-Ren just being there, we know nothing about him, never knowing what his relationship he had with his father which should have been explored.
-As with King of the Monsters, you're not going to get much out of the characters (Aside from Serizawa who is dead now) nor the story for that matter.
-In all honestly, the whole Godzilla going "rogue" and Kong's journey to the hollow earth felt like they could have been two separate films, it's as if they put two plots into one.
-Movie actually felt it centered more around Kong, and Godzilla at times just felt "there".
-That we didn't get to see any of the titans especially ones not shown in King of the Monsters. I know Dominion is gonna explain this but still felt disappointed.

One thing I'll give it is the execution Godzilla and Kong teams up, thankfully nothing like Batman and Superman, and Godzilla's reason going "rogue" definitely helped Mechagodzilla fit into the plot really well and reason for being involved.

It's no Kong: Skull Island but overall in spite of all these problems I had, I still had lots of fun with the monster scenes and fights which were the highlights of this movie and what kaiju fans came in wanting.

With that all said, given the way it ended with no indication or hints to a sequel, I'll be fine if this is where the MonsterVerse ends. I'm just grateful such a cinematic universe existed and gotten as many movies as it did. Could this movie have been better yes absolutely but overall I still enjoyed it being the hardcore kaiju fanboy I am as with plenty of others on this site.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

DragonZord13
GPN Volunteer

Post by DragonZord13 »

I agree with everyone that the film feels more like a King Kong Movie with Godzilla as special guest. I also agree that the movie ends abruptly too. But it is refreshing to see Godzilla get the win after all these years. No more "Godzilla lost to a monkey" jokes."
Honestly I can't say anything different because everyone has said it all already. I liked the movie and the Ghidorah back as MG was hella cool. Can't wait to watch it again at home
I like shows where Japanese folks change into spandex clad heroes and fight rubber suits.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Alright, i'm just about ready to finally sit down and watch this on HBO Max. Hope i end up liking it..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

BoswerLK
Ronin

Post by BoswerLK »

ending did feel pretty abrupt, but tbf, there wasn't a whole lot left to explain. godzilla just disappearing back into the sea is pretty classic, and kong got his epilogue. the humans....no one cares about them. G didn't have much of a character arc in general in this movie, felt like it was just another wednesday for him, and I think that's fine. all the characterization he needed had already been setup in previous movies. it definitely felt more like KvG than the other way around as a result

loved it though, I love how they're moving farther and farther away from poorly written human plotlines every movie, and just going with more monster screentime. the action was fantastic, though a bit curbstomp happy. would've liked for more of an evenly matched struggle at some point, instead of taking turns being dominant. I do like that kong's dominant period lasted exactly as long as he had his magical axe and buildings left to scale to make use of his agility, and immediately loses without environmental advantage and once his fatigue sets in and injuries pile up, while godzilla just heals up and has far better endurance

I'm kinda on the fence with this mechaG design. he has a good face, and I love the way he uses the tools he's equipped with. but the rest of his body is kinda very....michael bay transformers-ish. just a lazy messy collection of monotone scrap metal. in any case, he was pretty underutilized, and felt more like a plot device to get G and K to reconcile than a monster in his own right. I would like to see him come back as a proper kaiju in the future, with a cleaned up redesign

loved all the little callbacks and fanservice to previous GvK/GvMG movies. parting thoughts...was the axe one of godzilla's spines at some point? why is his usb charger a drawing of godzilla? why was serizawa's son even in the movie....his role was so nonexistent he may as well have been a regular security grunt. there's a lot of plot holes that don't make any sense honestly, but it's a kaiju movie, so who cares. but the magic axe stuff could really use more fleshing out. still better than electric hands though

it's not perfect, but it was a lot of fun, and personally my favorite of the monsterverse movies so far, and at the very least, top 20 godzilla movies of all time overall, possibly even top 15. looking forward to seeing more

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

Even though this film has a pretty open ending, it could just as easily work as the final film of the MonsterVerse, if that’s going to be the case. It doesn’t exactly feel like an epic finale, mainly because of how short it is, but it doesn’t leave any loose ends to tie up, so there’s that.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. I wouldn’t call it my favorite movie in the MonsterVerse, but it’s better than KotM. The action is great, the film explores the Hollow Earth concept, which is neat, and most of the human characters are perfectly serviceable. My big disappointment was with Serizawa’s son. They could’ve given the movie some genuine depth with that character, but he’s basically just a lackey who barely does anything before he’s killed off. Why even make him Serizawa’s son?

Ultimately, even though I’m glad the movie doesn’t drag on, I think it could’ve benefitted from being around five minutes longer, so we could have more time to let the scenes with the human characters breathe.
Last edited by Garzon on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

General thoughts –

Godzilla vs Kong definitely goes full ‘monster movie.’ It has a big, fun, adventurous heart, basically the super earnest Journey to the Center of the Earth/At the Earth’s Core version of one of these movies. There are tons of little (and big) nods to the 1962 film throughout and for the most part I found it enjoyable and inoffensive. Kids will love it.

It does play a bit more like a straight Kong: Skull Island sequel though, just so happening to have Godzilla in it. Team Kong (Alexander Skarsgård, Rebecca Hall, Kaylee Hottle) are definitely the more fleshed out and engaging side to the story. Team Godzilla (Millie Bobby Brown, Brian Tyree Henry, Julian Dennison) and the villains (Shun Oguri, Eiza González, Demián Bichir) are broad and cartoonish. Kyle Chandler is just there, trying to figure out which movie he’s in.

It has less going on than KOTM, mostly to its benefit, sometimes to its detriment – like I said; there are really broad and cartoonish moments for sure with ‘convenient’ problem solving for the characters. It's like King Kong vs Godzilla meets Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla meets Jules Verne meets Edgar Rice Burroughs, with lots of super-satured, Pacific Rim-esque colors.

More thoughts –
Spoiler:
The storm that wiped out Skull Island could’ve been elaborated on more, and I guess all the Titans from KOTM are dead for whatever reason. None of the new or briefly returning monsters receive any generous screen time.

It’s nice seeing a more destructive Godzilla in one of these movies for once, the monster scenes in general in either broad daylight or brightly lit, colorful cityscapes (ala Pac Rim) were more than welcome.

I don’t know how to feel about the conspiracy theorist guy. I mean, first of all, it’s not much of a conspiracy when giant monsters are walking around. Also, in today’s climate, depicting a conspiracy theorist in a positive light might not be the best idea.

Like Kyle Chandler, Mechagodzilla is just kinda there, no real rhyme or reason for it, and quite a leap from even the Argo superjet from KOTM. He’s not justified well at all in the story; he’s just there cause the evil bad guy said he could build him.

Unless I missed it there’s absolutely no mention of Ren Serizawa being the son of Ishirō Serizawa. He’s just there too, piloting Mechagodzilla via Ghidorah’s remains in a highly convoluted manner.

Godzilla drilling to the center of the earth joins stopping an artificial black hole and Monster X’s meteor for most outlandish atomic breath feats. (They made a big deal entering Hollow Earth, not so much exiting.)

As a movie of this type there are several (for me, forgivable) lapses in logic, but somehow short-circuiting Mechagodzilla by splashing liquor on a computer is a bridge too far. I don’t understand how that was even seriously suggested let alone kept in a final shooting script.

Oh, and for the obligatory Marvel/DC comparison, I’d say it’s nowhere as good as Captain America: Civil War, but certainly better than Batman v Superman. This movie has heart where BVS has none.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

tbeasley wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:14 pm
Spoiler:
The storm that wiped out Skull Island could’ve been elaborated on more, and I guess all the Titans from KOTM are dead for whatever reason. None of the new or briefly returning monsters receive any generous screen time.
Spoiler:
I like to think it had something to do with King Ghidorah in KotM given his ability to create hurricanes. As for the titans, that'll be explained in Godzilla: Dominion.
tbeasley wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:14 pmIt's like King Kong vs Godzilla meets Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla meets Jules Verne meets Edgar Rice Burroughs, with lots of super-satured, Pacific Rim-esque colors.
I would also throw in Gamera 3 (Godzilla going "rogue" as Gamera did), and King Kong Escapes (Kong being used to find energy source).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BoswerLK
Ronin

Post by BoswerLK »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:14 pm
Spoiler:
As a movie of this type there are several (for me, forgivable) lapses in logic, but somehow short-circuiting Mechagodzilla by splashing liquor on a computer is a bridge too far. I don’t understand how that was even seriously suggested let alone kept in a final shooting script.
I read that largely as a throwback to the magnetic smoking pipe from the first MG movie. the movie in general leaned hard on camp and absurdity, and I personally appreciate the classic feel more than G2014's poor attempts at being sensible and intelligent. shin was able to pull that off successfully, but historically, a lot of charm of old godzilla movies was the silliness, be it rock volleyball, flying godzilla, tail slide drop kicks, ssj mode, beamfighting a black hole, all of final wars....etc

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Me and my family are about to watch it.

HOO, BOY AM I EXCITED!!!! :huge:
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:38 pmKing Kong Escapes (Kong being used to find energy source).
Next MonsterVerse villain?

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

tbeasley wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:53 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:38 pmKing Kong Escapes (Kong being used to find energy source).
Next MonsterVerse villain?
Ren becomes Dr.Who with Ghidorah's consciousness lingering. Thus enter's the XILIANS!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Pacific Rim crossover with Mechani-Kong Jaeger.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

So did they
Spoiler:
legitimately kill every other Titan? Just like that? Felt really weird that they were just gone. But many those opening credits were amazing, soundtrack and all.
Also wondered why
Spoiler:
Godzilla was getting so clapped by mechagodzilla: it felt so one-sided. Establishing him as a threat made sense, but felt super strange to have Godzilla have no chance at all against him.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:16 pm So did they
Spoiler:
legitimately kill every other Titan? Just like that? Felt really weird that they were just gone. But many those opening credits were amazing, soundtrack and all.
Spoiler:
It only said "DEFEATED". For all we know many of the titans could have retreated back into the hollow earth or into dormancy again. This will be explained in Godzilla: Dominion.
CyberZilla wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:16 pm
Spoiler:
Also wondered why
Spoiler:
Godzilla was getting so clapped by mechagodzilla: it felt so one-sided. Establishing him as a threat made sense, but felt super strange to have Godzilla have no chance at all against him.
Spoiler:
You have to remember Godzilla just came from an exhausting fight with Kong who had to make him put an effort in beating him. The fact too Kong wounded him with his axe.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Forgot to mention Thomas Holkenborg's score was serviceable but KOTM by Bear McCreary was considerably better.

Handsome Shrek
JXSDF Technician

Post by Handsome Shrek »

The entire climax was a goddamn mess. That's part of the problem. MechaGodzilla should never have been in the movie at all. Instead we have Godzilla, who stood up handedly to Ghidorah, never landing a single goddamn hit on MG after not even getting necessarily exhausted from his fight with Kong. MechaGodzilla only existed in this movie because they needed to give Godzilla a reason to act *gasp* antagonistic and give Godzilla and Kong the opportunity to team up.

I can't believe people are acting like this movie is infinitely better than KotM.... Everybody's entitled to their own opinions, but damn. I thought there were some exciting moments, but I just don't understand
Last edited by Handsome Shrek on Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Based AF

-Logically-minded free-thinker

-King of the Monsters is overhated