Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Well Godzilla vs Kong got snubbed for best VFX and it's honestly surprising that No Time to Die got nominated over it nut regardless I am hoping Dune wins

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 am Well Godzilla vs Kong got snubbed for best VFX and it's honestly surprising that No Time to Die got nominated over it nut regardless I am hoping Dune wins
I think Free Guy is the standout "worthless nomination" on the list, personally. Pulling for Dune as well, which is probably inevitable anyway.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I want to say that it's some sort of thing where the members of the Academy are like old white guys who still have some sort of passive-aggressive thing against the Japanese because of WW2 and take it out on Godzilla.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Did it get snubbed a nomination, yeah. Do I really care, no. Between the fact that it’ll likely go to Dune (which probably deserves it) and that the Oscar’s are kinda a joke to me (good ol reminder that tron didn’t get nominated because it used computers for effects), it’s just another day in Hollywood.
He Jock it Made of Steel

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Totally fine with the snub. Kaiju films have a punk aesthetic about them. If they’re ever truly embraced by the mainstream then I’ll feel like something is wrong lol

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 am Well Godzilla vs Kong got snubbed for best VFX
Not that I'm defending the Oscars or anything (I hate these award shows in general), but GvK's effects definitely had some very noticeably weak moments. Godzilla staring at the unconscious Kong through the burning wreckage of the battleship is the big one.

It looks more awful in motion. Something about it looks like a video game cutscene. I think it's the lighting and the way the fire is portrayed.

Then there's also the moments in the Hong Kong battle where monsters clip through buildings.

That's not to say GVK's effects aren't good overall, but best of the year? Ehhh... at least from what I've seen of this year, I'd give it to Dune.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

H-Man wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:54 am I want to say that it's some sort of thing where the members of the Academy are like old white guys who still have some sort of passive-aggressive thing against the Japanese because of WW2 and take it out on Godzilla.
Not for nothing but Drive My Car….a film nominated for Best Picture and Director this year is Japanese….

Also yeah I agree. This film from a technical standpoint is probably the weakest of the four MV films. Kong is noticeably a step down from KSI in realism, G is about on par with GKOTM save for a few shots that are better and a few shots that are worse.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Honestly, it'd be pretty weird to be in a world where Godzilla (2014) wasn't nominated for best VFX but GvK was. Of all the Monsterverse films, G14 deserved it the most and it's still ridiculous that it wasn't nominated.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

H-Man wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:54 am I want to say that it's some sort of thing where the members of the Academy are like old white guys who still have some sort of passive-aggressive thing against the Japanese because of WW2 and take it out on Godzilla.
Drive My Car would like a word…

Also yeah GvK has the worst VFX of the MV.
Last edited by Voyager on Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Odd that there’s something we all seem to agree on regarding the MV….the consensus seems to be that GvK has some weak sauce VFX regardless of what you may feel about the film.

Doubly odd that each MV Godzilla film has worse VFX than the preceding film. Kong too actually.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I genuinely don't see what's so worse about the VFX in GVK versus KOTM or even KSI.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Moogabunga wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:26 pm Honestly, it'd be pretty weird to be in a world where Godzilla (2014) wasn't nominated for best VFX but GvK was. Of all the Monsterverse films, G14 deserved it the most and it's still ridiculous that it wasn't nominated.
I actually agree with that

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Odd….there’s some really bad cgi, in particular with Kong in GvK.

I don’t know how to convince someone that doesn’t see it. The majority of us seem to see it….so there must be something to it

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The textures and expressions of the kaiju were absolutely next level. Cinematography wasn't as mosaic as it was in KOTM, but the water pouring from Kongs fur under the waterfall, in the rain, when he takes a sip of water, incredible. Godzilla in every day time scene was stunning. Though Mechagodzilla looked off and is probably my least favorite of the big 5. ; )

Especially in comparison to NWH, which still has CGI being fixed *while* in the theater. As much as I loved the film, the three spider-men looked like gummy worms in comparison to the VFX in their prior films.

Shang Chi was fantastic, but it was pretty generic CBM flashy energy stuff in terms of VFX.

Dune is my ideal winner, since its got everything I wanted from the SW sequels. Edge and risk, but also superb special effects.

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:05 pm Odd….there’s some really bad cgi, in particular with Kong in GvK.

I don’t know how to convince someone that doesn’t see it. The majority of us seem to see it….so there must be something to it
Two people agreed with you on this page, so I wouldn't exactly say out of 5 thousand people, the "majority" agree in saying its "the worst visually".
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Spuro wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:44 pm
DynomikeGojira wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:31 am Well Godzilla vs Kong got snubbed for best VFX
Not that I'm defending the Oscars or anything (I hate these award shows in general), but GvK's effects definitely had some very noticeably weak moments. Godzilla staring at the unconscious Kong through the burning wreckage of the battleship is the big one.

It looks more awful in motion. Something about it looks like a video game cutscene. I think it's the lighting and the way the fire is portrayed.

Then there's also the moments in the Hong Kong battle where monsters clip through buildings.

That's not to say GVK's effects aren't good overall, but best of the year? Ehhh... at least from what I've seen of this year, I'd give it to Dune.
Eh I actually thought those looked quite rather well but at the end of the day whether GvK was nominated or not I still think Dune deserves it.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:08 pm The textures and expressions of the kaiju were absolutely next level. Cinematography wasn't as mosaic as it was in KOTM, but the water pouring from Kongs fur under the waterfall, in the rain, when he takes a sip of water, incredible. Godzilla in every day time scene was stunning.

Especially in comparison to NWH, which still has CGI being fixed *while* in the theater. As much as I loved the film, the three spider-men looked like gummy worms in comparison to the VFX in their prior films.

Shang Chi was fantastic, but it was pretty generic CBM flashy energy stuff in terms of VFX.

Dune is my ideal winner, since its got everything I wanted from the SW sequels. Edge and risk, but also superb special effects.

Added in 2 minutes 15 seconds:
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:05 pm Odd….there’s some really bad cgi, in particular with Kong in GvK.

Two people agreed with you on this page, so I wouldn't exactly say out of 5 thousand people, the "majority" agree in saying its "the worst visually".
Well you can’t ever seem to say anything negative about the MV so I’m not sure how much merit any of your words carry….

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:10 pm Well you can’t ever seem to say anything negative about the MV so I’m not sure how much merit any of your words carry….
Nine thousand and twelve posts, and you went through every single one of them to verify that?

Or is that another generalization?
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

If the generalization fits….

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't think it's very hard to think of specific examples that made you think "that doesn't look as good as the other movies".

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

There are a couple examples in GvK where the CG looked like a video game. I never got that impression in G or KOTM.

Edit: a good example is that shot in HK where they view Godzilla from above, the camera is pointed almost down his throat. The texture looks really bad there, IMO.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.