Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

John Pannozzi wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:32 pmMillie Bobby Brown
King of the Monsters sure.

Godzilla vs. Kong though? Ehhhh?
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:13 am Godzilla doesn't need to make a billion dollars to be considered a hit. WB and Legendary continue to tell you guys that they're excited and can't wait for the future, yet we still hit clockwork moments like these lol.
I mean these are the same folks that treats literally every movie as a potential threat and competition. People thought Free Guy was competition of all things even though the only thing going for it was Ryan Reynolds and wasn't an existing IP or franchise or Bill & Ted for that matter, which I know is a classic and nostalgia but was it ever really THAT popular (Keanu Reeves being a star lead since his resurgence in John Wick might have played a role in this) despite being dormant for nearly 30 years? Hell, I never even heard of the films until the third movie was announced. That said it wouldn't surprise me if at the chance folks would think Hotel Transylvania or any political/romance drama film was competition as well. Literal panic everytime there's films of all forms are around the MonsterVerse.

I swear folks here just don't have faith in spite how much of fans they are. They act like Godzilla is the least popular franchise of all time when there's even lesser popular franchises like Alien, Predator, Terminator, Power Rangers, and certain slashers. Many more for that matter too. :roll:

All these folks in a nutshell everytime it comes to this.

Apologize for the rant but felt I had to get this all off my chest. I just don't get these folks here at times when it comes a MonsterVerse movie releasing.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:38 am, edited 9 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:08 am

Godzilla's crew suffered from crossover effect in which Godzilla vs Kong felt like Godzilla was coming over to play at Kong's house and thus Kong's cast like Jia were allowed to steal the show.

As much as I like GvsK it might have been stronger if Godzilla's crew was cut and it felt like Kong 2 with Godzilla as the villian only to find out, no Godzilla is being framed and is still the same guy.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 amAs much as I like GvsK it might have been stronger if Godzilla's crew was cut and it felt like Kong 2 with Godzilla as the villian only to find out, no Godzilla is being framed and is still the same guy.
I agree with this.

I already pitched my idea how I would of done my version of Godzilla vs. Kong but I've shared it a few times already you've probably come across it there's no need to share.
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 amGodzilla's crew suffered from crossover effect in which Godzilla vs Kong felt like Godzilla was coming kver to play at Kong's house and those Kong's cast like Nia were allowed to steal the show.
How does being a crossover makes a character horribly written? That makes no sense.

Depending on the writer, the character can be well-written no matter what. Apparently for some reason they thought making Madison egotistical, condescending and bitchy would make her likable apparently as opposed to her previous role.

Added in 13 minutes 19 seconds:
What folks don't understand is Godzilla is more popular then they might realize.

He is a symbol of Japan, one of the few characters to earn his name on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, both a cultural and cinematic icon, alongside Kong the most recognizable giant monster in media having made plenty of cameos and references in shows like The Simpsons.

How is that not popular? How is that "niche"? Lol.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Godzilla didn't earn his star on the walk of fame.

Toho paid for it.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:33 am
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 amAs much as I like GvsK it might have been stronger if Godzilla's crew was cut and it felt like Kong 2 with Godzilla as the villian only to find out, no Godzilla is being framed and is still the same guy.
I agree with this.

I already pitched my idea how I would of done my version of Godzilla vs. Kong but I've shared it a few times already you've probably come across it there's no need to share.
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:17 amGodzilla's crew suffered from crossover effect in which Godzilla vs Kong felt like Godzilla was coming kver to play at Kong's house and those Kong's cast like Nia were allowed to steal the show.
How does being a crossover makes a character horribly written? That makes no sense.

Depending on the writer, the character can be well-written no matter what. Apparently for some reason they thought making Madison egotistical, condescending and bitchy would make her likable apparently as opposed to her previous role.

Added in 13 minutes 19 seconds:
What folks don't understand is Godzilla is more popular then they might realize.

He is a symbol of Japan, one of the few characters to earn his name on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, a cultural icon, alongside Kong the most recognizable giant monster in media having made plenty of cameos and references in shows like The Simpsons.

How is that not popular? Lol.
Madison only has half the film to work with and since is on the less important side as it's Kong's movie.

Madison's character is actually realistic for how old she is portraying and what ia going on.

Madison sees Godzilla like alot of us and showa kids did. He saved her and her father and killed her Mother's killer. In addition Godzilla protected Earth from more Titans and restored the ecosystem as her mother said the Titans would.

Now remember she is a teenager and highly emotional. Godzilla who has only done good is now attacking and everyone is quick to say he's become "Ghidorah" this is what a bad Titan is to her.

She tried to tell her dad and he blows her off.

Finally she finds out her savor is being framed after all by Apex.

All that to say Legendary needs to run it back and do Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. That stroy still has potential.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Regardless I'm just utterly burnt out in arguing at this point. I've said my peace and just going to leave it at that since it's not going to change anything I say.

Anyways what happens in the future regarding the MonsterVerse happens. Just have to wait and see when that point comes.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:38 am Godzilla didn't earn his star on the walk of fame.

Toho paid for it.
Which fictional characters did?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I thought I heard having a star isn't that big deal. It's not like there is a committee with strict conditions...I think it boils down more to paying for it than anything.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 am I thought I heard having a star isn't that big deal. It's not like there is a committee with strict conditions...I think it boils down more to paying for it than anything.
There is a fee for installing them:
A fee of $50,000 (as of 2020), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the prospective honoree. The Starz cable network, for example, paid for Dennis Hopper's star as part of the promotion for its series Crash.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame

But there is also a committee that chooses which nominees are selected as well:
Each year an average of 200 nominations are submitted to the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce Walk of Fame selection committee. Anyone, including fans, can nominate anyone active in the field of entertainment as long as the nominee or their management approves the nomination. Nominees must have a minimum of five years' experience in the category for which they are nominated and a history of "charitable contributions". Posthumous nominees must have been deceased at least five years. At a meeting each June, the committee selects approximately 20 to 24 celebrities to receive stars on the Walk of Fame. One posthumous award is given each year as well. The nominations of those not selected are rolled over to the following year for reconsideration; those not selected two years in a row are dropped, and must be renominated to receive further consideration. Living recipients must agree to personally attend a presentation ceremony within two years of selection. If the ceremony is not scheduled within two years, a new application must be submitted. A relative of deceased recipients must attend posthumous presentations. Presentation ceremonies are open to the public.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame

So yes Godzilla didn't "earn" it's star on the Walk of Fame but it also totally did because it would've been rejected numerous times if it's contributions to cinema weren't valid enough for consideration. Clearly Godzilla was important enough because the star got through and was built.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If Trump can have a star then Godzilla can have won. At least Godzilla works in film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:30 pm If Trump can have a star then Godzilla can have won. At least Godzilla works in film.
The Hollywood Walk of Fame isn't exclusive to film. It has people from all sorts of entertainment fields.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:16 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:30 pm If Trump can have a star then Godzilla can have won. At least Godzilla works in film.
The Hollywood Walk of Fame isn't exclusive to film. It has people from all sorts of entertainment fields.
I forgot he did The Approntince when I wrote that post.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYzeyUyAqJF/?hl=en

Carrier portion from a different POV
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:22 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CYzeyUyAqJF/?hl=en

Carrier portion from a different POV
That looks badass.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:16 am

I'm not even talking about her MonsterVerse work. Go watch Stranger Things, she is amazing in that.
Friends don't lie.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

John Pannozzi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pmI'm not even talking about her MonsterVerse work. Go watch Stranger Things, she is amazing in that.
I have up until the beginning of season 3 due to Hopper becoming an unlikable smug jerkass of an overprotective father responsible for Eleven breaking up with Mike, even after Joyce gave him the best advice to approach it but then discarded it.

"Oh boo, hoo, hoo! My biological daughter is dead! I don't care if it's mean! Everybody's got dead people! It's no excuse to be overprotective and a dancing smug jerkass!"

In the words of my boi Rocket Raccoon.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:58 pm
John Pannozzi wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:21 pmI'm not even talking about her MonsterVerse work. Go watch Stranger Things, she is amazing in that.
I have up until the beginning of season 3 due to Hopper becoming an unlikable smug jerkass of an overprotective father responsible for Eleven breaking up with Mike, even after Joyce gave him the best advice to approach it but then discarded it.

"Oh boo, hoo, hoo! My biological daughter is dead! I don't care if it's mean! Everybody's got dead people! It's no excuse to be overprotective and a dancing smug jerkass!"

Nobody asked about your opinions of Stranger Things Season 3...? The conversation was about Millie Bobby Brown's acting ability.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:06 pm
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:58 pm

Nobody asked about your opinions of Stranger Things Season 3...? The conversation was about Millie Bobby Brown's acting ability.
Yeah...and Scoops Troop helped make ST3 quite fun.
Friends don't lie.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Sorry got a little carried away there.

But yeah I won't deny Millie Bobby Brown does an amazing performance in Stranger Things and does decently in King of the Monsters as well.

Other then that, back on topic.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh that's cool that there is some prestige after all to the walk of fame than just money after all.