Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
obZen
Interpol Agent

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by obZen »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:37 pm
obZen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm Team Godzilla kinda grew on me.
I'm of the same opinion.
I wish they meant something more substantial to the plot, but I really like Bernie and Josh's interactions. They're kinda funny for the most part. There is one line I didn't like, and it's the "and sober" line after Josh pores the whiskey into the computer. It's the weakest line that Bernie has, and unfortunately Brian Tyree Henry just couldn't save that line. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me each time. Madison wasn't given much to do as a character, but at least she was independent and somewhat more interesting than in GKOTM. With more to do, she would have been far better.

I'm kind of a fan of the conspiracy theorist podcast host thing. Going against a big cybernetics company. I'm not sure if that was meant to have real-world implications or significance, if it was planned or inadvertent, but it's kinda interesting to see.

It’s nuanced things for me, personally. I get a kick out of ‘dumb sh!t’ (ironically enough) like the quick shot of Josh Valentine’s cheap facial expression just as Apex security has him at gunpoint after discovering Ghidorah’s skull; the sheer look of utter pathetic desperation in Josh’s face where he pleads to Bernie the extent of his hacking/pirating skills; the ‘contrived’ scene where “MechaGodzilla” is coined; and of course, when #10 is released into MG’s arena and we see Bernie’s initial leaping reaction to the giant SkullCrawler — honestly to me, the funniest thing right now since watching.

Some of the other characters have their moments. Jia and Dr. Lind have some of course (namely both ‘coward’ scenes). Dr. Ilene Andrews has a moment (personal favorite) when she gestures for Jia to get on into the jeep at the beginning of the movie in the biodome — at that moment she has this sort of goofy-looking funny face; not unlike (in spirit) Brie Larson’s ‘moment’ in Kong: Skull Island when she’s trying to evade the SkullCrawler and she has the infamous expression. I found these to be endearing also.

/🤡
Last edited by obZen on Tue May 04, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

obZen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:39 pm
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:37 pm
obZen wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:19 pm Team Godzilla kinda grew on me.
I'm of the same opinion.
I wish they meant something more substantial to the plot, but I really like Bernie and Josh's interactions. They're kinda funny for the most part. There is one line I didn't like, and it's the "and sober" line after Josh pores the whiskey into the computer. It's the weakest line that Bernie has, and unfortunately Brian Tyree Henry just couldn't save that line. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me each time. Madison wasn't given much to do as a character, but at least she was independent and somewhat more interesting than in GKOTM. With more to do, she would have been far better.

I'm kind of a fan of the conspiracy theorist podcast host thing. Going against a big cybernetics company. I'm not sure if that was meant to have real-world implications or significance, if it was planned or inadvertent, but it's kinda interesting to see.

It’s nuanced things for me, personally. I get a kick out of ‘dumb sh!t’ (ironically enough) like the quick shot of Josh Valentine’s cheap facial expression just as Apex security has him at gunpoint after discovering Ghidorah’s skull; the sheer look of utter pathetic desperation in Josh’s face where he pleads to Bernie the extent of his hacking/pirating skills; the ‘contrived’ scene where “MechaGodzilla” is coined; and of course, when #10 is released into MG’s arena and we see Bernie’s initial leaping reaction to the giant SkullCrawler — honestly to me, the funniest thing right now since watching.

Some of the other characters have their moments. Jia and Dr. Lind have some of course (namely both ‘coward’ scenes). Dr. Ilene Andrews has a moment (personal favorite) when she gestures for Jia to get on into the jeep at the beginning of the movie in the biodome — at that moment she has this sort of goofy-looking funny face; not unlike (in spirit) Brie Larson’s ‘moment’ in Kong: Skull Island when she’s trying to evade the SkullCrawler and she has the infamous expression. I found these to be endearing also.

/🤡
Bernie's ramblings are pretty funny too. "I know the way out, the lizard people make all their facilities the same way!"
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I personally thought the “woman with the villain hairdo” was a funny improv line.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

obZen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:56 pm I personally thought the “woman with the villain hairdo” was a funny improv line.
Was it improv? That was pretty funny either way.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

obZen
Interpol Agent

Post by obZen »

I suspect it was.

It was a villain hairdo.
Last edited by obZen on Tue May 04, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I’m beginning to warm up to the Godzilla plot as a whole as well. A lot of the humor in GvK is, well, actually good, and Bernie and Josh are easily my favorites of the entire film

That being said...they could’ve made the whole thing a lot less awkward and less obvious they’re tools for exposition and the big reveal :lol:
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue May 04, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Nice try, Plankton.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Watching the film yet again. I don't quite feel as sorry for Kong when I realize Godzilla's duty was evident. But I must admit, destroying Kong's new home was a dick move.

Had he not done that he could've faced MechaG full strength and unopposed. Huge plot hole if you ask me.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

KaijuKingGojira
Interpol Agent

Post by KaijuKingGojira »

ernesth100 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:43 pm Watching the film yet again. I don't quite feel as sorry for Kong when I realize Godzilla's duty was evident. But I must admit, destroying Kong's new home was a dick move.

Had he not done that he could've faced MechaG full strength and unopposed. Huge plot hole if you ask me.
How is it a plot hole? It isn’t like Godzilla went “hey, bet that stinky monkey is right abouuuuut there, so I’ll destroy his home muahaha!” He literally felt the activation of the HE power source and freaked the fuck out so blasted straight there to find out wtf was going on. Completely expected reaction when you consider Godzilla’s insaaaaaaane perception of things now.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:32 pm
Also, the Scaly Quadruped (Hollow Earth lizard) makes me wonder how many other offshoots could be added into Godzilla's evolution. It is said to be an "offshoot of the evolutionary branch that gave rise to Godzilla." Apparently, marine iguanas and Gila monsters were the inspiration for the design, other than Godzilla himself.
I think it's implied most things there are related to him in some way or at least evolve similar features. "Doug" look a lot like him in general, Hellhawks have Godzilla spines, the antlion type monster in the concept art had Godzilla-styled gills and scutes... In an odd way the Warbats also remind me of Godzilla a little in terms of their angular faces and segmented tails, but that's probably not intended. In some ways it might make Godzilla a little less "Unique" but it makes him cooler too, that's like...uh... the fact he has ALL the best features from these creatures that make him the very strongest.

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

So I been gone a few days, power was out and been snipping footage and getting slo-mos of it

What's going on?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Showzilla wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:37 am What's going on?
They managed to scare someone off TK by arguing about the identity of a skeleton.

You know, the usual TK stuff.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:19 am
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:32 pm
Also, the Scaly Quadruped (Hollow Earth lizard) makes me wonder how many other offshoots could be added into Godzilla's evolution. It is said to be an "offshoot of the evolutionary branch that gave rise to Godzilla." Apparently, marine iguanas and Gila monsters were the inspiration for the design, other than Godzilla himself.
I think it's implied most things there are related to him in some way or at least evolve similar features. "Doug" look a lot like him in general, Hellhawks have Godzilla spines, the antlion type monster in the concept art had Godzilla-styled gills and scutes... In an odd way the Warbats also remind me of Godzilla a little in terms of their angular faces and segmented tails, but that's probably not intended. In some ways it might make Godzilla a little less "Unique" but it makes him cooler too, that's like...uh... the fact he has ALL the best features from these creatures that make him the very strongest.
It would seem like the rest could have similar features due to "convergent evolution," and that certain adaptations are advantageous in the Hollow Earth, but I'm not sure if the MonsterVerse will be that smart. It could also be mimicry, just like with Mothra's wings. Godzilla's species was likely the most powerful around, so it would make sense to see some level of mimicry in smaller creatures. But that's just my thoughts. If most creatures in the Hollow Earth were related to Godzilla, it would raise way more questions about everything than necessary. I initially resisted the similar features due to Godzilla having an overall crocodilian, archosaurian look (real-life prehistoric animals kinda like simosuchus, baurusuchus, or postosuchus could simply be inserted in the Hollow Earth and fit as relatives), but now it's been officially confirmed.

I kinda thought the same thing about the Warbats. But, then I have to remember Rodan, and how he also has some features in common with Godzilla, specifically the brow/eye ridges. Ghidorah kinda has that familiar look, too. And how the Warbats also have angular faces like the MUTOs. It just seems to be a common trait with monster designs in this series, and it might have something to do with Allsopp... but I'm not complaining.

But that is a decent way of looking at it. He is still special among them, although in a less distinctive, seperate way.
KK42 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 am
They managed to scare someone off TK by arguing about the identity of a skeleton.

When did that happen? Someone left because of that? My apologies. :lol:
It was a dumb argument that was, without meaning to stir up anything once more, settled before it began. The novelization and movie are different, so, you know.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 am
KK42 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:03 am

When did that happen? Someone left because of that? My apologies. :lol:
It was a dumb argument that was, without meaning to stir up anything once more, settled before it began. The novelization and movie are different, so, you know.
Mr. Rockett on the previous page.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I guess you could say he's taking a Timeout
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Wed May 05, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

A good plot line for Mega Godzilla would be if Kong stayed in the Hollow Earth before the Hong Kong fight and learned more about his heritage through wall paintings. Likely translated by Jia or something to the exposition crew.

Meanwhile Godzilla faces MechaGodzilla and gets slightly less brutalized due to having more energy. But still is injured critically.

Then team Monarch builds a atomic life support spine. It regulates his energy so he doesn't go into meltdown mode again while he's basically being artificially-nuked. This way they don't have to worry about the plot of actually detonating a nuke on Godzilla again.

Afterward Godzilla is fully charged and senses Kong activating the HE energy source later. Make it a journey to find the axe. I felt it was kinda weird the whole armory was just right there. Use this as an opportunity to show us more of the Kong's civilization.

This way when Godzilla gets to Hong Kong and blasts the hole, you've explored the character fully. Perhaps while Godzilla's out you could explore his history with the Kong's as well.

Then the final fight takes place, Godzilla breaks out of his life support spines and Kong is fully understanding of the past the two species share. It'll make it even more devastating on both parts when Godzilla blasts that hole.

You'll understand yes, Godzilla is angry but rightfully so. And Kong is justified to defend what is theoretically the last remnants of his kind as well as himself.

Thoughts?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Yeah...now that i think about it the Argo should’ve played a part in the final battle

Would’ve been a way better save than whiskey :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Bernie captured my heart, he's a wonderfully wacky character. Every time I watched the movie, he brought a smile to my face.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I thought his line of 'I got to die in here with you SOBER!?' was a good take.

I also really like the novelization talking about stuff from the comics. That is much obliged.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Glad we’re appreciating the Godzilla side of the story now

There are some legitimately funny lines and jokes in GvK as opposed to the other MV films

Godzilla2020
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzilla2020 »

Saw the movie in theaters for the second time today(first viewing was in late April). I loved it!

Godzilla was portrayed as powerful, Kong put up a good fight. It was great!

I only have a few criticisms. Godzilla's head should have been the same size as it was back in 2014 in proportion to the rest of him. The military should of been of no help. The final battle could have been longer. Godzilla should have gotten one decent hit on Mecha Godzilla on screen. And finally, Kong could have been shown as a little tougher.

Also, a family that was Team Kong was in the theater. The little girl literally shouted "NO" and started crying when Godzilla won. She stopped when Kong was revived though.