Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by ernesth100 »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm Godzilla and Ghidorah is Boston was fine, Rodan and Mothra left much to be desired.
I love all the fights in KOTM. You can't tell me you don't smile when Godzilla grabs Ghidorah's head and slams it into the ice. Or when Mothra comes from the clouds to silk Ghidorah. Or even the infamous 1,2,3 head strike Ghidorah does to Godzilla before slamming him to the ground. Probably the best attack in the film Imo.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah I watched parts of KotM and to me the fights are perfectly fine. There’s aspects of KotM I like more than GvK as well.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

the fights were good......but they could have been better

too much was given to the "hectic shakey camera"

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

Theaters are opening in my local area again! If I get vaccinated, I can hopefully get the full experience proper this time! Although, admittedly, I’ve seen this movie so many times that it’ll prolly not be the same. But hey!
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Hope everyone laughs at this stroy but someone on Twitter was saying WB is faking the Godzilla vs Kong success to make the Syndercut look bad.

Some guy posted under the thread

The Synder Cut was good, but Godzilla vs Kong is better.

Hope everyone gets the irony of the joke.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 pm Hope everyone laughs at this stroy but someone on Twitter was saying WB is faking the Godzilla vs Kong success to make the Syndercut look bad.
They don't need to fake Godzilla vs Kong success to make the Syndercut look bad, the film accomplished that on its own.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

Showzilla wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:26 am Yeah, ngl, a lot of stuff people say "was made up for this movie" was explained in previous ones
Very late reply, but I disagree.
Godzilla being able to hear the calls between the two MUTOs (electromagnetic pulses and echolocation like whales and bats, and whale calls are detectable for thousands of miles), specifically located in a certain stretch of the Pacific, does not remotely explain him sensing any activity related to Ghidorah's imminent release in Antarctica, every other monster being able to respond to Alpha frequencies from various places across the planet, and Godzilla sensing Mechagodzilla and the Hollow Earth energy source from 2,000 to 4,000 miles away, once through the planet itself. Now he can sense pretty much everything in the comics, so it's no longer just about an apex predator keeping track of communication between parasites. There's not many ways you could properly introduce a big threat without him having already sensed it. It's going to mess up the writing, just like him firing into the Hollow Earth.

The Hollow Earth energy source was never eluded to in any other movie, nor was the Hollow Earth itself ever implied to be the core of Earth, or even accessed via "wormholes" (prior to GKOTM). Godzilla's connection to that energy was never even a thing before this movie made it all up. Absorbing radiation from the earth in subterranean areas is not the same as being connected to a seemingly magical energy at the planet's core, which is suddenly hollow because this movie said so.

There was only one Ghidorah head left from what we could tell, but this movie pretty much retconned it to be two.

And the technology jumped absurdly again, but at this point, fuck it. There's a lot that this movie just came up with. There's a lot that this movie just isn't consistent with. Don't pretend you don't see it. :lol:
Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:26 am
Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:45 am I’m surprised there hasn’t been a monster movie with the god-tier fight choreography that GvK has. KOTM should’ve had the same but it ended up being horrible and nearly ruining the entire film

Like, seriously, it’s like Dougherty wanted the fights to be horrendous :lol:
I guess it's just harder to balance things out. You have a film ABOUT two monsters meeting up and fighting with not much else to it, and one about 4 main monsters with the whole earth at stake and a lot of human stuff in between. I think the choreography in KOTM is lacking too, but I can kinda understand why there's less focus on it.
As much praise as GKOTM got upon release, I honestly failed to see how the monster action was superior to the two films before it. I feel like GKOTM is generally overrated by fans.

I feel like the fight choreography is better executed in Godzilla 2014 and Kong: Skull Island (better movement, better portrayals of the respective monsters, better sense of scale), although GvK definitely outperforms GKOTM by an incredible degree. GvK is entertaining, don't get me wrong, but with each subsequent viewing, I find myself feeling like the "cinematography" is simply lacking. Flying, floating camera shots and high speed action really make them look merely like CGI monsters, with nothing really tangible or heavy about them. There are some good ground-level shots, but not nearly enough. If they gave it the same treatment as the first two movies in the series, it would have been perfect. No doubt.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Just popping in to say according to Ilene in the novel the skull that Kong pulls the axe from is very similar to Godzilla's bones. She even compares it to Dagon and Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:27 am Just popping in to say according to Ilene in the novel the skull that Kong pulls the axe from is very similar to Godzilla's bones. She even compares it to Dagon and Godzilla.
If it is a Godzilla then the design department did not try there. But then again, that also implies Godzilla might still be growing. Which is honestly insane.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:27 am Just popping in to say according to Ilene in the novel the skull that Kong pulls the axe from is very similar to Godzilla's bones. She even compares it to Dagon and Godzilla.
Just so there's no doubt about what you're referring to, here's a quote.
The glowing blue seams in the stone were everywhere here, and the stone of the floor glowed here and there with reddish hotspots, like magma was pooled just below the surface. Scatterings of huge bones were visible in that dim light; in the brighter HEAV floodlights they were recognizable as those of Titans. And one, still largely articulated, seemed especially familiar. She had seen pictures of such skeletons, from the Philippines, and elsewhere. She’d seen bones like this covered in muscle and scale. It was a species that resembled Godzilla. Kong noticed the remains. He stared at them at first without comprehension, but then she saw fury dawn on his features. He stood over the skeleton for a moment and then, with great deliberation he bent toward the reptilian neck. She saw something was lodged there, and as she watched he took hold of it, pulled, and then yanked it free and held it aloft, beating his chest. It looked for all the world like some sort of outlandish scepter, sized for Kong.
(Keyes, Gregory. Godzilla vs. Kong: The Official Movie Novelization. Titan Books, 2021, p. 214)

Should I have gone that far to cite it?
Anyway, there we go.

It's clearly not a Godzilla skeleton in the movie. The novelization made this distinction, which is interesting and kinda strange.
ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:25 am If it is a Godzilla then the design department did not try there. But then again, that also implies Godzilla might still be growing. Which is honestly insane.
I don't think this implies much. There is no sense of how large the skeleton is in the novel. The visuals in the movie aren't meant to match the novelization. Instead of it being lodged in the skull, it's apparently in the neck. And, we have no idea how big this skeleton is supposed to be.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

yeah, the novelization also has Godzilla tapping into his genetic memory to remember the kong wars, I'm surprised the guys on twitter aren't throwing a shit fit over Godzilla flat out saying "my grand parents sent them monkes runnin"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Either you want the scale and perspective of the KOTM fights or you want the orbital shots of the GvK fights. There's no in-between lmao.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 am Either you want the scale and perspective of the KOTM fights or you want the orbital shots of the GvK fights. There's no in-between lmao.
big rant incomiiing

I pray to jeebus every single night that the MV keeps the fight choreography/style of GvK because holy fuck KOTM’s fights were garbage

Like, seriously, it was all just power move, cut, power move, cut, power move, cut, oh Ghidorah’s already beaten Godzilla. Felt more like a goddamn slideshow or a YouTube clips video than a fight :lol:

The Mothra vs Rodan “”fight”” was the absolute worst offender. I’m not even gonna get into how that trash fails in every way

The worst part about all of this is that they cut to the human characters and plot that absolutely no one gives a shit about. Cutting back to characters and plot in the middle of the big-attraction-setpiece-fight every fucking picosecond only works when your plot and characters are actually good and interesting, Dougherty ;)
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat May 01, 2021 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:56 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:29 am Either you want the scale and perspective of the KOTM fights or you want the orbital shots of the GvK fights. There's no in-between lmao.
big rant incomiiing

I pray to jeebus every single night that the MV keeps the fight choreography/style of GvK because holy skreeonk KOTM’s fights were garbage

Like, seriously, it was all just power move, cut, power move, cut, power move, cut, oh Ghidorah’s already beaten Godzilla. Felt more like a goddamn slideshow or a YouTube clips video than a fight :lol:

The Mothra vs Rodan “”fight”” was the absolute worst offender. I’m not even gonna get into how that trash fails in every way

The worst part about all of this is that they cut to the human characters and plot that absolutely no one gives a poop about. Cutting back to characters and plot in the middle of the big-attraction-setpiece-fight every skreeonking picosecond only works when your plot and characters are actually good and interesting, Dougherty ;)
the bad part is.....the bits and pieces we saw were really cool looking, but dougherty through you could have what GvK gives AND G14.....you can, but not at the same time. give us a few minutes of uninterrupted fighting with a solid and unobstructed view......then cut away....then cut back for several more minutes.......just like GvK does.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:25 am
If it is a Godzilla then the design department did not try there. But then again, that also implies Godzilla might still be growing. Which is honestly insane.
Could be a sub species similar to how Doug was originally a cousin species. MV Godzilla Earth would be the one Titan that would make me want to see Monsterverse BC now as apposed to when ever if ever they get to it.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:45 am
The glowing blue seams in the stone were everywhere here, and the stone of the floor glowed here and there with reddish hotspots, like magma was pooled just below the surface. Scatterings of huge bones were visible in that dim light; in the brighter HEAV floodlights they were recognizable as those of Titans. And one, still largely articulated, seemed especially familiar. She had seen pictures of such skeletons, from the Philippines, and elsewhere. She’d seen bones like this covered in muscle and scale. It was a species that resembled Godzilla. Kong noticed the remains. He stared at them at first without comprehension, but then she saw fury dawn on his features. He stood over the skeleton for a moment and then, with great deliberation he bent toward the reptilian neck. She saw something was lodged there, and as she watched he took hold of it, pulled, and then yanked it free and held it aloft, beating his chest. It looked for all the world like some sort of outlandish scepter, sized for Kong.
(Keyes, Gregory. Godzilla vs. Kong: The Official Movie Novelization. Titan Books, 2021, p. 214)

Anyway, there we go.

It's clearly not a Godzilla skeleton in the movie. The novelization made this distinction, which is interesting and kinda strange.
ernesth100 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:25 am If it is a Godzilla then the design department did not try there. But then again, that also implies Godzilla might still be growing. Which is honestly insane.
I don't think this implies much. There is no sense of how large the skeleton is in the novel. The visuals in the movie aren't meant to match the novelization. Instead of it being lodged in the skull, it's apparently in the neck. And, we have no idea how big this skeleton is supposed to be.

People tend to forget we already have a good picture of a Godzilla skull from the Monsterverse. It's a Godzilla. It even has the canines and ondly short nose and rounded forehead.

Added in 25 seconds:
See above.
Last edited by Gawdziller1954 on Sat May 01, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

guys
gimme strength

I'm about to post something breaking down the fights of the movie on the official reddit comparing Godzilla and kong's moments of getting the upperhand on each other

I don't know who's gonna hate me more

the Kong stans when the points get totaled up and Kong is deep in the red

or

the Godzilla stans when they see just how strict I'm gonna be about giving Godzilla any points
Spoiler:
it's a strength comparison, Godzilla ends up having half of the times his arms beat Kong's arms discounted because I couldn't see how Kong had a grip on something he was using to get leverage on Godzilla or Godzilla's points given to Kong even after pointing out he's winning by either folding Kong's arms up or slapping them aside but he still comes out ahead by a fair margin
taking bets on who gives me the most grief

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

For my previous post about the skeleton: Compare 00:10 to the picture of Dagon's skull

Showzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showzilla »

Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm

Anyway, there we go.

People tend to forget we already have a good picture of a Godzilla skull from the Monsterverse. It's a Godzilla. It even has the canines and ondly short nose and rounded forehead.

Added in 25 seconds:
See above.
that thing had fangs that Godzilla nor that drawing have...but can we just stop and apprieciate how fucking jutting that shoulder blade is? jesus fucking christ, how much of Godzilla's bulk is muscle if that's all the bone on the his shoulder?

seriously, he looks like a cave bear with t-rex legs

look

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Showzilla wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:03 pm
Gawdziller1954 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm

Anyway, there we go.

Added in 25 seconds:

See above.
that thing had fangs that Godzilla nor that drawing have.
Individual variation. Dagon also has different dorsal plates; but he is definitely a Godzilla.