Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Discussion Thread - FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Kaijucifer »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:38 am
Kaijucifer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:01 am I'm not gonna take anyone seriously who goes into a movie like Godzilla vs Kong and comes out like "Yeah fights were fucking amazing, but I still wanted more substance". You can shove that shit.

I will not, cannot, and should not take ANYONE and their words seriously when they try to criticize a movie that was only and will only ever exist to be dumb fun.

KotM(Underrated and not well understood by the snobby elitist gatekeepers in the fandom who only see the surface)

From my keen observations it seems that the majority of the older fans in the fandom myself excluded are massive hipsters and dislike anything that's super popular or mainstream.
I can't take anyone seriously who defends his opinion of a movie by trying to delegitimize the opinions of others.
It's a good thing that's not what I was/am doing, then. Carry on. Me delegitimizing the opinion would be saying their opinions are trash because they are objectively wrong while saying subjective things to reinforce that take and acting like they're objective. Their opinions are no less legit than mine but that doesn't mean I can't criticize their thinking, as you and any other can mine.
All I intended to do was state that, people are acting like hipsters and don't even realize when they are being such. Trying to pick apart a movie they knew damn well was never gonna give them something to chew on mentally. Like I said, this is GvK, not punk. Could care less what someone thinks or if they agree with me, just wanted to give my *reaction* to the whole "Haha, MV bad because it no make me think and is like typical Hollyweird movie" stigma that the older fans seem to perpetuate(mostly the twitter crowd like Jack(G Man on Sci-Fied, and the rest of the impossible to please purists).

Added in 2 minutes 27 seconds:
If there was a way to convey what I'm trying to say without typing an annoyingly long bible I'd do it smh why can't it be simpler instead of having to go into diatribes to explain shit
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I saw the movie again just today. It was my second viewing and I really enjoyed it more this time.

Also the theater was almost half full which is great for a film thats already been out for months. So glad this movie had been so successful. This would have been a $700 million to $800 million in regular times.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Godzilla21 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:28 pm I saw the movie again just today. It was my second viewing and I really enjoyed it more this time.

Also the theater was almost half full which is great for a film thats already been out for months. So glad this movie had been so successful. This would have been a $700 million to $800 million in regular times.
That’s awesome. When I saw it in theaters it was just me and my two friends and a few others. Glad to hear theaters are getting a little more populous.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

CyberZilla wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:31 pm
Godzilla21 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:28 pm I saw the movie again just today. It was my second viewing and I really enjoyed it more this time.

That’s awesome. When I saw it in theaters it was just me and my two friends and a few others. Glad to hear theaters are getting a little more populous.
Ya I think theaters are loosening up the rules for seating. When I first saw it back in March they were very specific on where you could sit. This time no one said anything when we chose the tickets. So thats good news. Any word on the MV continuing?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Kaijucifer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:27 pm
Kaijucifer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:01 am I'm not gonna take anyone seriously who goes into a movie like Godzilla vs Kong and comes out like "Yeah fights were fucking amazing, but I still wanted more substance". You can shove that shit.

I will not, cannot, and should not take ANYONE and their words seriously when they try to criticize a movie that was only and will only ever exist to be dumb fun.

KotM(Underrated and not well understood by the snobby elitist gatekeepers in the fandom who only see the surface)

From my keen observations it seems that the majority of the older fans in the fandom myself excluded are massive hipsters and dislike anything that's super popular or mainstream.
I can't take anyone seriously who defends his opinion of a movie by trying to delegitimize the opinions of others.
It's a good thing that's not what I was/am doing, then. Carry on. Me delegitimizing the opinion would be saying their opinions are trash because they are objectively wrong while saying subjective things to reinforce that take and acting like they're objective. Their opinions are no less legit than mine but that doesn't mean I can't criticize their thinking, as you and any other can mine.
All I intended to do was state that, people are acting like hipsters and don't even realize when they are being such. Trying to pick apart a movie they knew damn well was never gonna give them something to chew on mentally. Like I said, this is GvK, not punk. Could care less what someone thinks or if they agree with me, just wanted to give my *reaction* to the whole "Haha, MV bad because it no make me think and is like typical Hollyweird movie" stigma that the older fans seem to perpetuate(mostly the twitter crowd like Jack(G Man on Sci-Fied, and the rest of the impossible to please purists).

If there was a way to convey what I'm trying to say without typing an annoyingly long bible I'd do it smh why can't it be simpler instead of having to go into diatribes to explain shit
You're not really saying their opinions are trash, you're just cutting straight to insulting the person who holds the opinion because, in your words, they didn't understand the movie the way you did.

You're outright dismissing the opinions of people who didn't like a movie for reasons that you feel are invalid.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Any user is always welcome to express their opinions of these movies, but please don't anyone go around insisting that opinions that differ from your must inherently be disingenuous. Please engage in good faith exchanges only. If you don't take someone's opinion seriously, you're free not to engage with them. Repeated flame bating and outright insults will result in a warning.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Anyone's opinion is trash.... My opinion is above all of you.

And anyone who thinks that mint ice cream is good can get the Hell outta here.

Pistachio ice cream is the better one damn it.

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

Terasawa wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:06 pm

You're not really saying their opinions are trash, you're just cutting straight to insulting the person who holds the opinion because, in your words, they didn't understand the movie the way you did.

You're outright dismissing the opinions of people who didn't like a movie for reasons that you feel are invalid.
That's...not what I was saying (or trying to say)at all, what I was saying is, in short, they already had made up their minds beforehand because they had a list that they wanted to check off(I've talked with friends who don't like the movie and we came to this conclusion). At no point did I intend to "flame bait" or insult or any sort of stirring of the pot. I apologize if it came off that way, but it surely wasn't supposed to sound that way. I'm not dismissing their opinions, I made it clear that I'm dismissing the logic behind their forming of the opinion (the justifications). No harm no foul, I guess, idk I suck at this forum talk, haven't talked on a forum in a while.

Discord servers are a LOT simpler to talk in, only came to TK in 2019 for the spoilers threads, stayed around because some of the people here are really cool and interesting conversations happen sometimes (Good lord, had some good ones in the old GvK rumors thread, what a riot!), Speaking of, PLASMABEAM, where you at my man? Haven't seen you in a bit!

Added in 1 minute 26 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:30 pm Anyone's opinion is trash.... My opinion is above all of you.

Tom Brady approves!
"The day of the Crystal King will arrive like a hunter in the night. The King has been burdened by the sins of many...and the greatest of sinners deny his love."
DISCLAIMER: I am neurodivergent (high functioning autism). What I say may not be meant in the negative way it may seem to neurotypicals.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaijucifer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:01 am I'm not gonna take anyone seriously who goes into a movie like Godzilla vs Kong and comes out like "Yeah fights were skreeonking amazing, but I still wanted more substance". You can shove that poop.

If there was a way to convey what I'm trying to say without typing an annoyingly long bible I'd do it smh why can't it be simpler instead of having to go into diatribes to explain poop
Except as I had said, I never expected it to be Shakespeare, I never expected it to be some great piece of writing - my problem is that it wasn't even on the level of "typical Hollyweird movie", that it was dumbed down (my personal opinion) in such an extreme that I couldn't even enjoy it on the level of a typical Hollywood action film. To me, this didn't even rank with the worst of the MCU movies like Age of Ultron and it's mess. It took dumbness to a whole new low level I have trouble comparing to other so called "dumb" action movies from Hollywood. Again, just for me. If it's hipster to feel like a movie is dumber than almost all others in its genre, then guess I'm a hipster now. It's better than me watching that movie again. We're no longer arguing the movie (which I'm disinterested in doing), we're arguing over, I don't know, decency and respect to other posters? It hurts no one to just disagree with people's opinions, so why phrase things to target other posters instead?

Added in 1 minute 44 seconds:
goji89 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:30 pm Anyone's opinion is trash.... My opinion is above all of you.

I like mint chocolate chip - but then again, I've never had pistachio...

Added in 7 minutes 59 seconds:
Kaijucifer wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:42 pmThat's...not what I was saying (or trying to say)at all, what I was saying is, in short, they already had made up their minds beforehand because they had a list that they wanted to check off(I've talked with friends who don't like the movie and we came to this conclusion). At no point did I intend to "flame bait" or insult or any sort of stirring of the pot. I apologize if it came off that way, but it surely wasn't supposed to sound that way. I'm not dismissing their opinions, I made it clear that I'm dismissing the logic behind their forming of the opinion (the justifications). No harm no foul, I guess, idk I suck at this forum talk, haven't talked on a forum in a while.

Discord servers are a LOT simpler to talk in, only came to TK in 2019 for the spoilers threads, stayed around because some of the people here are really cool and interesting conversations happen sometimes (Good lord, had some good ones in the old GvK rumors thread, what a riot!), Speaking of, PLASMABEAM, where you at my man? Haven't seen you in a bit!
And that's not true - I didn't have a list, all I expected was a dumb fun movie - but dumb fun on the level of Kong: Skull Island or the MCU or at worst the very flawed KotM. But to me this didn't live up to that level, to me it was too inconsistent with the previous films, to me the reasons/motives either didn't make sense or were never explained on film. For me the flaws and faults of this movie were too glaring, more so than most, and I hated watching it. I made up my mind based purely on how this movie made me feel. I am not being snobby or elitist, I'm not some film academic gatekeeper, I just hated this movie that's all. And I gave my reasons, which you are free to disagree with. But instead of disagreeing with my opinions, it feels like you've been making assumptions about me, and using your image of me as a means to dismiss my opinions as not counting. And that, is just frustrating for me. Wouldn't it be for you?

Added in 2 minutes 28 seconds:
Basically, who are you to decide, much less judge, the logic or justifications of others for why they form their opinions?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters - General Discussion

Post by JAGzilla »

China has so many huge cities with absurd numbers of skyscrapers, it's about time they started regularly being trashed by kaiju. It was always kinda weird that kaiju so rarely made that simple crossing to the Asian mainland, you know? I'm all for seeing more non-Japanese Asian cities used in this genre. Next stop, Shanghai!

... with a decent plot, ideally.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:17 am And that's not true - I didn't have a list, all I expected was a dumb fun movie - but dumb fun on the level of Kong: Skull Island or the MCU or at worst the very flawed KotM. But to me this didn't live up to that level, to me it was too inconsistent with the previous films, to me the reasons/motives either didn't make sense or were never explained on film. For me the flaws and faults of this movie were too glaring, more so than most, and I hated watching it. I made up my mind based purely on how this movie made me feel. I am not being snobby or elitist, I'm not some film academic gatekeeper, I just hated this movie that's all.
This is all basically my take, too. I went in fully intending to have a blast, and I didn't. I left the last three Monsterverse films happy, maybe moderately annoyed by certain aspects, but I definitely had fun. GvK didn't really hit that mark. I admit I did have an item on my list, though.... I wanted a movie that took place in the world established at the end of KOTM. I don't feel like that was much to ask of a sequel.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

Nobody's deciding anything, I thought I made it clear that I was making observations lol

Added in 3 minutes 3 seconds:
Had I been deciding I would have directly called out the people in question instead of just dropping my indirect thoughts. I don't understand why people are taking my words personally unless they're resonating with them? I was generalizing an entire group of people, which encompasses more than just people in this Thread and forum. Either way, I'm done talking about this. Don't @ me or continue it, no interest in this conversation now that I've done my damnedest to explain where I was coming from.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

GvK is tearing us apart.

I can't stand it.......pffft sorry couldn't say that with a straight face. :lol:
Last edited by goji89 on Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:24 am I admit I did have an item on my list, though.... I wanted a movie that took place in the world established at the end of KOTM. I don't feel like that was much to ask of a sequel.
That's a really good point. KotM was flawed but what it set up and teased was promising. It felt organic enough following the escalation of '14 to Skull Island, but GvK chucking a lot of that out the window felt jarring to say the least.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:25 pm GvK is tearing us apart.

I can't stand it.......pffft sorry couldn't say that with a straight face. :lol:
Every Godzilla movie since at least Final Wars has tore this board apart. Then the next one will reunite us, it will release and then we will split apart again. Rinse and repeat.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:15 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:24 am I admit I did have an item on my list, though.... I wanted a movie that took place in the world established at the end of KOTM. I don't feel like that was much to ask of a sequel.
That's a really good point. KotM was flawed but what it set up and teased was promising. It felt organic enough following the escalation of '14 to Skull Island, but GvK chucking a lot of that out the window felt jarring to say the least.
Godzilla vs Kong fits in better if you look at it as a Kong sequel with Godzilla as the villian and Mechagodzilla as the true villian who was framing Godzilla.

Don't be surprised if Godzilla 3 opens up with the Titans awake again because Godzilla blasted the Hollow Earth.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Now that I think about it, GvK felt like a Godzilla 2.5 in some ways. More like a spiritual KSI 2 though.
Really do wanna see the Titans return in a potential Godzilla 3, that world that was set up was fascinating, especially with the Hollow Earth being open for business.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I never understood this notion that, because these films are popcorn movies, we suddenly have to throw away all expectation for any kind of substance. I don't think anyone walked into these films expecting The Godfather, or even Shin Godzilla. But the idea that people who criticize these films are "snobby" or "elitist" for wanting a better film is just ridiculous. I also love the inconsistencies too. The same critics who gave positive reviews to 2014 and KSI were fine... Until they criticized KOTM. But they're okay again, because they mostly liked GvK. However, prior to that, it was "this film is going to be ruined by the snobby critics!" Which also tells me that people really don't pay attention to who or what a critic is or can be. It's okay to like a movie, it's okay to even like a movie that most people hate. But this notion that it was meant to be a dumb movie, therefore we can't have any kind of standard, is dumb. That's been the biggest difference between the MCU and DCEU. All in all, they're all pretty ridiculous films. People dressed in superhero costumes fighting aliens and saving the world. But one series has been able to throw all that in, keep it fun, while giving us interesting films and characters, while the other has dropped the ball at almost every turn.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaijucifer
Gotengo Officer

Post by Kaijucifer »

KingKaiju wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:28 pm I never understood this notion that, because these films are popcorn movies, we suddenly have to throw away all expectation for any kind of substance. I don't think anyone walked into these films expecting The Godfather, or even Shin Godzilla. But the idea that people who criticize these films are "snobby" or "elitist" for wanting a better film is just ridiculous. I also love the inconsistencies too. The same critics who gave positive reviews to 2014 and KSI were fine... Until they criticized KOTM. But they're okay again, because they mostly liked GvK. However, prior to that, it was "this film is going to be ruined by the snobby critics!" Which also tells me that people really don't pay attention to who or what a critic is or can be. It's okay to like a movie, it's okay to even like a movie that most people hate. But this notion that it was meant to be a dumb movie, therefore we can't have any kind of standard, is dumb. That's been the biggest difference between the MCU and DCEU. All in all, they're all pretty ridiculous films. People dressed in superhero costumes fighting aliens and saving the world. But one series has been able to throw all that in, keep it fun, while giving us interesting films and characters, while the other has dropped the ball at almost every turn.
This wasn't my point at all. It was that because it's specifically Godzilla vs Kong, it doesn't necessarily need substance, it just needs to deliver on the title premise.
I'm gonna try my best to summarize my thoughts on the fanbase' obsession with substance in G Movies.
Though ANY other movie should have substance, I'm of the opinion that a concept like Godzilla vs Kong, doesn't need it. A movie concept like Destroy All Monsters however, does. There's a fine line between just big dumb movie and big movie that needs a compelling human story because of the title.

With a potential Destroy All Monsters, you expect some really big developments in the human story that particular movie to drive the plot and characters for their motivations to Destroy All Monsters. With Godzilla vs Kong- the name already gives away what the focus is, the two biggest Titans in cinema history clashing to decide who's King. The human story will only ever be there to serve THEM and get them where they need to be. It's not as prevalent as say DAM where the title promises a lot of action but also a prominent human element for a movie talking about the eradication of Titans(clearly from a Human's pov, since they are monsters in our eyes).

My stance is, substance isn't always needed. There's some movies that just don't need the classic Showa touch(over the top action but a really good human element). There's not always gonna be some hidden message to tell in a story or Godzilla movie. I just wish the fanbase accepted that already. What substance we needed, we got with the Kong scenes. Kong was literally the anchor for us, and he pulled it off spectacularly. I'm sure if someone took the time they could find a way to write GvK in a way where it could be filled with substance, but I can guarantee they'd be hard pressed to do it in a way that doesn't make the film's pacing be slower and make the humans feel like filler to pad out the runtime. I could do this(I literally am, tbf, I write fanfics sometimes and am currently writing my own version of the Monsterverse and making it spiritually driven), but it isn't necessary, unlike it is in, again, a theoretical Destroy All Monsters.
I don't like critics, never have, never will. It's a dead art, because they don't criticize anymore. Just spew bad takes full of bitterness or shill out for certain productions. I only look at their ratings as "are they gonna fuck us over this time as well?"
As for the elitism and snobs, I think youd be surprised how prevalent it is in the community. Specificaly the Twitter and Discord part of it with the YouTubers residing there. There's a really good reason GojiFan1993 left, aside from his personal life, he saw this fanbase heading down this direction years ago.

It really doesn't seem like anyone genuinely enjoys anything anymore, from my pov. It saddens me greatly, I still have childlike joy whenever I see new Godzilla media. And for god's sake, I'm 23! Lol

Have I said that I'd like a Destroy All Monsters, because I want a Destroy All Monsters lol. I want a good one to end the MV in say, 5 or so movies if it manages that long.

Good heavens I just realized how long this was, this is what happens when you're supercharged on caffeine and can't sleep at 4:44 in the morning

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:40 am

I love it :lol: